PDA

View Full Version : Westernfield Shotgun

DNK
March 23, 2007, 08:46 PM
I have an older pump 12 ga made labeled "Westernfield" and sold by Montgomery Wards. My brother gave it to me almost 20 years ago. Does anyone on the forum know who produced this shotgun for MW?

Casp_A
March 23, 2007, 09:12 PM
Probably Mossberg or Stevens. What model number is it? I might be able to tell you exactly what it is.

williamd
March 23, 2007, 09:57 PM
I also think Winc built some for Sears and Wards. Give us all the data you can off it. Many of these were fine guns with a Wards or Sears brand on them. Unfortunately, this makes them worth less though they are just as functional. I have a Sears Ted Williams rifle which by any other name is a Model 70.

DNK
March 24, 2007, 10:28 AM
Model is M550 ABD. Am I right to assume this is a Mossberg 550? It also has the screw type "C-Lect choke". I haven't shot the gun in quite a while. Does the "C-Lect choke" work as advertised or should I try to get a new barrel for it and have this one cut down for home defense?

Dave McC
March 24, 2007, 10:43 AM
DNK, like the similar Polychoke the C-Lect choke does work, but the markings are educated guesses by the maker. Patterning is essential.

Your WF pump is a fine shotgun.Enjoy....

kozak6
March 24, 2007, 08:12 PM
Here is a fantastic chart to help get things like this figured out:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/crossref.asp

The chart is doesn't have a Model 550 ABD on it, but all of the Model 550's are Mossberg 500's of some sort, and the Model 550AB is a Mossberg 500AB.

williamd
March 24, 2007, 09:53 PM
Hey kozak6.. Great chart.:p Thanx for all of us. And, DNK, you guessed right!

DNK
March 25, 2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks Kozak. I just found the safety button on the back of the receiver is broken. I guess I'll be giving Numrich a call.