PDA

View Full Version : lights for varmits

davlandrum
March 3, 2007, 12:55 PM
First - thanks for the replies to my hog hunting thread. Now it looks like we are going to Texas vs CA, and since I am off the hook for footing the bill, who am I to complain...

Place we are looking at has varmit hunting at night thrown in. This is way outside my realm of experience so am looking for ideas on lights. I have looked at the gun mounted lights, but wanted to get some real opinions on how to pull this off. I will probably just use my -06, since the budget isn't there to get a varmit gun, although I may be able to borrow one.

Varmits there are defined as coyotes, bobcats and lions. Surprised me that lions were still treated as varmits.

Night hunting is from stands only.

Foxman
March 3, 2007, 07:26 PM
LSI make some great 12v lamps and do the red and yellow filters. I learnt years ago to hold lamp in left hand and shoot the rifle over the left forearm, but if you get a buddy to work the lamp and you shoot it is easier and more fun, you can take turn about too. I use a couple of the 12v gel cells and they last 2-3 hrs easy and no messing with long cables to the SUV either.

hps1
March 3, 2007, 08:35 PM
One of the biggest problems in night hunting is positive target identification. Have personal experience with the following lights:

Optronics 350 Magnum, available from Cabela's, Walmart, etc.:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000DZE6PC.01-A30DGGRQPDAP9Y._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

While you can see eyes to 350 yards, I found it difficult to make a positive identification of the animal much past 75 yards.

Lightforce 170:
http://www.lightforce.net.au/images/FIREARM.pdf

Much more costly than the Optronics, but this light enables one to see eyes as far out as 400 yds or more and count the points on a buck @ 250 yards with the red filter.

Both lights can be mounted on the rifle and operate from a rechargeable battery pack.

Regards,
hps

Art Eatman
March 3, 2007, 08:45 PM
They're not cheap, but the good old Streamlight SL-20 can be held right against the forearm of your rifle. The rechargeable cell is good for about three hours of continuous use when fully charged.

Art

davlandrum
March 3, 2007, 10:54 PM
Thanks guys, as always!

hps1
March 4, 2007, 12:02 PM
Should you have any questions on the Lightforce lights, Rick @ www.tufflights.com is a great guy to talk to and to do business with.

Regards,
hps

North Texan
March 5, 2007, 05:25 PM
I use a 500,000 CP Q-beam. Works pretty good, but I would prefer something around the 200,00 CP mark or lower. It doesn't have a battery, but I always hunt from the back of the pickup, so it doesn't matter.