PDA

View Full Version : Legality question in FL

Rocked
March 2, 2007, 03:42 PM
Im curious if it would be legal to carry a shotgun or handgun in a holster in a saddlebag. Much like it would be fine inside a car, but on a bike. I got a few more months until I can get a CCW so this seems to be the best option for a firearm but Im taking a trip down south this summer and dont want to break the law.

Invicta
March 2, 2007, 04:22 PM
check your local laws. i dont think it would be a problem as long as the gun is unloaded. check out packing.org

Mannlicher
March 2, 2007, 04:27 PM
If the issue is important to you, call the local Bar Association, or consult your own attorney. I don't believe a bike is covered by FL law as your auto is, in being an extension of the castle doctrine. If you get your CCW permit though, its a moot point.
From a strictly practical standpoint, just carry with you. Keep your nose clean, don't brandish, and you should be ok.

Tbag
March 2, 2007, 06:03 PM
Get on line browse the Florida gun laws. How would the shotgun fit into a saddlebag? Hand gun I'd say not in a holster but a small lockable gun case, stuffed into the saddlebag. And if you do not have a CCW do not just carry it with you and keep your nose clean, thats breaking the law and could ruin your chance of ever getting a CCW if you were caught. Just when you thought everthing was cool and alright snit happens.

George R
March 2, 2007, 07:09 PM
Here's what FL law says" Securely Encased means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access".
Good advice from the other FL thread contributors-get your CCW and then its a moot point.

I know, I know, Boca Raton isn't really part of Florida:)