PDA

View Full Version : Goose Gun

Jseime
February 28, 2007, 10:52 PM
I have a mossberg M500 field shotgun with wood stocks and a 28 inch barrel that I intend to use for shooting geese next fall.

I have three choke choices Full, Modified, and Improved Cylinder. What size of pattern should i have at 30-40 yards to knock down a goose.

I have a 3 inch chamber as well so Ill use that, which size of steel shot though?

I have some three inch magnums with steel #2s in them right now and judging by the way they beat up your shoulder they should do the trick but should i go with a bigger pellet size?

rem33
February 28, 2007, 11:16 PM
Is there a dirt bank somewhere you can shoot into? Or stand up a large piece cardboard? That will tell you quite a bit about your pattern size.

Art Eatman
March 1, 2007, 03:17 PM
Full choke and #2s oughta do just fine.

If you can rig some paper 30"x30" squares to shoot at, you can check the pattern of your shot. Whether it's evenly spread, or has "holes" in it.

Different brands of ammo will pattern differently. I don't think anybody knows why; it just "is". IOW, you'd be better off with a non-magnum load that patterns evenly than a magnum load with holes in the pattern.

"Hole" = blank area with no shot holes in the paper.

Yeah, it's a lot of trouble and a PITA. Saves a lot of frustration, though.

Art

Jseime
March 2, 2007, 10:14 PM
Ill have to get some big pieces of paper or cardboard and check the patterns.

Fat White Boy
March 3, 2007, 01:14 AM
Don't forget- you will be using steel shot or non lead, at the minimum. You will probably find that with large steel shot(T or F), it will shoot better with Improved Cylinder...

jaymag
March 9, 2007, 08:58 AM
I don't think fat white boy dropped a bird at 40YD ever with improved cylinder.I don't care what shot you are using.Use a Full choke remington hevi shot or any hot #2-#4 shot,perfered 3inch.Better you pattern tight for more knock down power.I've seen goose fly right through a rain of heavy fire, with several guy's.

FrontSight
March 9, 2007, 03:24 PM
With Steel or Tungsten, unless it's specifically approved for steeel shot, which some Full chokes make not be, especially the older ones

FirstFreedom
March 9, 2007, 04:00 PM
I'm imagine the best setup would be 3" mags, full choke or modified, #2, #1, B, or BB, shot. Steel is fine, but if you can afford it, Tungsten or Bismuth is better (denser).

Scorch
March 9, 2007, 05:33 PM
I would say go with 3" BB in Hevi-Shot through a modified choke. You will be amazed. The birds will be too. If you just gotta go with steel, go with T shot.