PDA

View Full Version : New To Forum Predator Caller

unclebuckpa
February 23, 2007, 09:43 PM
I found this site because I just purchased a Mark 111 pistol "The Hunter" 6 7/8 barrel. Looks like a real nice site. I can see you people like to share your info. That real nice. I like to do the same about predator calling.

I am a predator caller here in Pa. Anyone else like to call fox, coyotes, coon, bobcat, with a call?

www.thepredatorhunter.com

Art Eatman
February 25, 2007, 12:15 AM
Not as many as the dedicated websites, but a fair number of us do some "squalling" of a night. :)

Art

indybrad
February 25, 2007, 09:12 AM
I try to get out when I can here in Indiana. I've only been out twice this year and had a big male come in about 20yrds but couldn't close the deal. I was using a Johnny stewert electronic caller playing rabbit in distress and when I swithched to coyote pups he ran in in less than a min. You had any luck this year?

Desertfox
February 25, 2007, 11:02 AM
Same Jonny Stewart here. I have been twice this year. No luck as of yet. My only days to go have been windy. I called a male in to about 80 yards with the desperate chicken call. He circled down wind. I was carrying the shotgun that day. 80 yards was too far. Changing the call didn't turn him around once he hit the skids. I have had luck in the past with starting on a cotton tail call and changing to coyote fighting fox call.

I usually go with a couple of us. I was alone that day. The next time there were 3 of us. Two rifles and 1 shotgun. No yotes. We made 4 set-ups but no dogs.

I use a riggor rabbit and the johnny stewart electronic.

No wide open spaces here to hunt. Mostly semi dense woods.

The wind makes it hard.

unclebuckpa
February 25, 2007, 03:58 PM
Indybrad I got real good at calling since I have been doing it for over 21 years now. There is so much to learn. If you do something wrong when it comes to coyote hunting it all over.

Like if you hunt with more then two people, slam the doors, talk, walk in on crunchy snow, don't take into consideration the wind direction.

When it comes to the Eastern Coyote I have done well by not overcalling and by playing with their brain. A fox you can call constantly for 30 minutes or let your electronics run with the same sound for 30 minutes.

Here in Pa it's best to start off with a howl. wait 5-8 minutes. Do a rabbit distress wait 5-8 minutes, do a KIYI wait 5 minutes, then do a female invitation call in Feb and or change it to a male coyote challenge howl in April. You make them think another coyote came into their territory. It's gets them mad and they come in for a look see.

One of the best Elecronic calls to use FOXPRO with a remote. Now I do use Johnny Stewarts to. I like the little Johnny Stewaart attrator call with remote $35.00. However I have the JS Model 512 also.

Best commercial mouth call for me is Crit-R-Call open reed calls: Pee-Wee, Standard, Magnum, and or Song Dog, and Song Dog Jr. All are excellent for making all kind of sounds. both food and canine talk.

www.thepredatorhunter.com