PDA

View Full Version : shooting ducks

Pecos21
February 20, 2007, 05:03 PM
this past fall was the first time that I really got serious about duck hunting and went on several trips.

Although I loved it, I quickly found out how poor my shotguns skills were.

Is there any trick to shooting ducks that differs from dove or clays

I got to where I was leading the birds by at least six feet and still missing them so I reduced that to a copule feet and still couldnt hit a thing.

i was shooting 12 ga. #2's out of a Carlsons mid range waterfowl choke

skeeter1
February 20, 2007, 05:31 PM
#2s are what I use for geese. #4s seem better for ducks. Pattern shoot your shotgun and make sure it's pointing where you are. 6' of lead on a typical 30yd shot strikes me as too much. More like 3'. Otherwise, your gear sounds like it should be OK. Nothing (IMHO) beats some more practice at the trap range.

buck460XVR
February 20, 2007, 06:39 PM
Pattern shoot your shotgun and make sure it's pointing where you are.

Skeeter1 is right......it don't sound like it's your lead, you must be shootin' over or under em. Sometimes with a shotgun on birds we see comin' a long ways off we tend to try and aim instead of just pointing.This works well enough for turkeys that are standing but not very well for fast moving ducks. Don't matter how good a scattergun you got, if it don't fit you it aint worth the wrapper it came in. My boys always make fun of me when we're shootin trap, cause I can't hit crap(I'm aimin') but when the roosters get up, they best be shootin fast, cause the old man don't miss then.

trooper3385
February 20, 2007, 11:44 PM
+1 to what the other 2 said. Make sure you stick with the same brand of ammo. The difference in the speed of the Federal, Winchester, Remington, etc. can throw off your lead. The thing that I've noticed that I do when I start missing a lot of shots, besides getting in too big of a hurry, is I'm not looking straight down the barrel. I guess my eyes are looking down on the bead instead of straight down the barrel. Sorry, I had a hard time trying to explain that one in words but hopefully you can figure out what I'm trying to say. The shotgun that I have now has the bead on the end of the barrel and one halfway down the barrel and that really helped me out to make sure there lined up.

Dave R
February 21, 2007, 11:18 AM
How far were they when you shot? Under 40 yards, you don't need 6 feet of lead. Much over 40 yards, you may be hitting them but not killing them.

Pecos21
February 21, 2007, 03:34 PM
i was taught to hold off shooting until you see their feet, so they couldnt have been too far.

I might have been over leading them with the #2s

I am a right hand shooter that is left eye dominant. I have to aim a little. Im thinking about getting one of those fiber optic sights to help with muzzle awareness and eye hand coordination. Then, ill just spend some time at the range.

stuckon308
February 21, 2007, 05:46 PM
The truglow sight seemed to help me. But it might have just been one of those things that makes you feel like it works, when it doesn't. I still seem to see it out of the corner of my eye though. For geese hunting it helped me a lot.

Tbag
February 21, 2007, 06:11 PM
Trooper is on to something, cheek placement (weld) is all too important, in a repetitive mode. I find focusing on the duck and not your bead with both eyes open, where the barrel is almost a blur is going to help you drop'em. In the Florida swamp a 40 plus yard shot is typical, #2's are perfect for passing ducks, you need the weight of a 2 to get it out there.

Art Eatman
February 22, 2007, 09:35 AM
Might be something to do with the dominant eye deal.

Just as a suggestion, mount the shotgun to your shoulder with your eyes closed. Whatever position is normal for you and your eyes. When you open your eyes you should be looking right down the barrel.

Guessing, if you mount the shotgun right-handed, closing your left eye might work?

Your own line of view should be right down the top of the barrel, not really seeing all of any rib and the front bead, or just barely seeing all of the bead.

If the bead is sorta high and clear, you'd be shooting high. If you couldn't see it at all, you'd be shooting low.

Basically, the stock functions as the rear sight. It's much like a Weaver stance in pistol shooting...

I shot IPSC for three years. Improved my shotgunning a whole bunch. "Front sight, press."

Art

Pecos21
February 22, 2007, 12:42 PM
agreed..thats why i kind of want the fiber optic sight to train myself where the bead is when I mount the gun to my shoulder.

concerning the eye dominance, i was on the skeet shooting team in college. I started out placing opaque tape over the inside of the left lens of my shooting glasses. I think this trained my right eye to look down the barrel.

But now, i am out of practice, and I dont want to wear all kinds of contraptions duck hunting. It's just going to take some practice.