PDA

View Full Version : prarie dog killing in south dakota

after5x
February 18, 2007, 10:52 AM
thanks for the feedback on the colorado prarie dog hunting places.
what do you know about south dakota, it would be great to visit deadwood, and imagine the likes of al sweringen and the rest of the gang, and while out there throw some lead at the local prarie dogs.

any ideas?

OJ
February 18, 2007, 01:16 PM
Growing up in western Nebraska, we visited South Dakota regularly and there's a whole lot of interesting things to see there - visiting Deadwood is worth while but probably wouldn't be in the top five or even ten most interesting spots.

The Black Hills are beautiful as is Custer State Park there - in it there's Mt Rushmore Memorial with the four ex-president's faces, Sylvan Lake, Cave of the Winds, Crazy Horse Memorial, and Rapid City is a great place to visit. Just a little east, there's the Badlands - well worth the visit. Sturgis and Deadwood and the other old gambling town - Lead - are worth visiting - and, did I mention, most of those places are free to visit. See the graves of Calamity Jane and James Butler (Wild Bill) Hickock while there.

I may sound like a paid promotion type but, I'm not. Back in 1927, President Coolidge was visiting at the "Game Lodge" in Custer State Park (he visited there often enough he called it his summer white house). In July of 1927, however, he was there to dedicate the Mt Rushmore Memorial so the sculpting could begin. Mrs Grace Coolidge, our "First Lady", was on the lawn in front just to visit with any tourists that drove by and stopped to visit. When my parents asked to take her picture, she even offered to pose while holding their 11 month old son - volunteering she also had a son named Jack (IIRC, he was the one who died of complications of an infected blister on his heel). Photo technology not very advanced then, this picture still came out pretty good.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/MRSCOOLIDGE.jpg

While I don't recall that moment, my mother never let me forget or forgave me for not smiling at the camera in the picture of the president's wife holding me. I was obviously more interested in her Chow Chow dog than politics.;)

I don't know of a more impressive example of how our culture has changed - even in just my life time. Can anyone here imagine any of our president's wives doing - or even being allowed to do - such a thing today???

Fame is fleeting and that could have been the high point in my life - but it really wasn't. :)

:D :D

Fat White Boy
February 18, 2007, 07:53 PM
OJ- That is way cool...I can't imagine Hilary doing that!!!

22-rimfire
February 18, 2007, 09:46 PM
That is definitely a cool photo from the past. History is a great thing. I really enjoyed staying at the lodge at Custer State Park. Can't help you with the prairie dog question in South Dakota but enjoyed your photo.

jbrown
February 22, 2007, 08:38 PM
the word on pd's in sd http://www.sdgfp.info/Wildlife/hunting/PrairieDog.htm