PDA

View Full Version : bobcat round?

hoytinak
February 15, 2007, 06:45 PM
what's a good round for bobcat? i've got a .223 that is was going to use but a buddy told me it might be a little much.

Art Eatman
February 15, 2007, 08:19 PM
Good odds you'd have some hide to sew up if you're wanting the skin. That's not really all that big a deal; the exit wound shouldn't be all that big a tear.

Art

rem33
February 15, 2007, 08:24 PM
Nice bobcat on my wall that fell to one shot behind his shoulder with a .223 using a Speer 52 grain HP bullet. No exit wound. Was shot across a river so no way to measure but it was in the 150 to 200 yard range. Speer use to make two different 52 grainers one is for target shooting and not to hunt with. Other bullet makers have comparable bullets that should work fine. I just have first hand experience with these.

BIGRED
February 16, 2007, 01:19 PM
17HMR 17gr TNT HP kills them good without pelt damage. last 2 i got died instantly.

here is the one i got in Dec 06 PS. this is a FL Cat and was 28 pounds. Biggest cat i have ever got. just for comparison i am 5'11' @250lbs and could barely hold this up but a minute or so. Man did that Tomcat stink..........

Wild Bill Bucks
February 16, 2007, 01:50 PM
If you are calling them in with a call, I would stay with the .223, If you are hunting them with dogs, then they will be treed and probably won't be more that 30 feet from you, so I would take a good ole .22lr.

castnblast
February 16, 2007, 03:47 PM
I'd go 22 lr, or 22 WMR. If you want to use your 223, try using a FMJ to lesson the amount of pelt damage.

whelenman
February 16, 2007, 05:03 PM
I shot one with my 6 mm rem and an 85 grain Barnes x. Dead on the spot and a very small exit hole.

hoytinak
February 16, 2007, 05:14 PM
i've also got a nice .22lr, i didn't even think about it....guess i figured it'd be too small. what would be the best loads for the .22lr?

BrianBM
February 16, 2007, 06:47 PM
What to do with a 28 lb. stinky bobcat? Hmmm ..... live trap, anesthetize for two days, and mail him to my former boss. :D :D :D

castnblast
February 17, 2007, 09:50 AM
And have your former boss forward it to my former boss...No wait...That's too nice. I think a skunk would be more appropriate...

castnblast
February 17, 2007, 09:52 AM
Back to the subject though, You don't need a large round. Any hollow point that shoots accurately will do the trick. Mini Mags, stingers, etc. Find the one that shoots best out of your gun and knock your socks off...

trooper3385
February 17, 2007, 07:13 PM
The 223 will work great for bobcats. If your wanting the hide or want to get it mounted, I would go with a FMJ bullet to lessen the damage to the hide. If you are going to save the hide, one thing I would highly recommend is freezing it for a few days before skinning it out. Varmints and predators have a higher risk factor for having diseases (rabies, etc) than other animals. When my dad first started taxidermy, he skinned out a bobcat right after getting it. Someone mentioned to him that he needed to freeze it first. To be on the safe side, he ended up having to send the head off to a lab to get tested. If your going to get it mounted, just put it in a trash bag, freeze it and take it to the taxidermist like that. Most taxidermist would much rather skin them out than you doing it.

hoytinak
February 19, 2007, 05:49 PM
trooper....thanks for the tip, i will end up taking it to a taxidermist

truthfulhawk
February 19, 2007, 07:29 PM
If you want pelts, a .223 is heavy for a bobcat. If you do shoot the .223, go with a light round or shoot head/neck shots. I suggest a .22 mag, 17hmr or something similar for fox or bobcat pelts.