PDA

View Full Version : Wolves attacking a Moose!

taylorce1
February 14, 2007, 02:59 PM
Got these pics as well through an email, don't know the story behind them as well. It had to be exciting though to watch and take pics.

taylorce1
February 14, 2007, 03:02 PM
And the final pic.

el Divino
February 14, 2007, 03:04 PM
they seem to be Coyotes

rem33
February 14, 2007, 03:08 PM
I wanna wolf tag so bad.

FirstFreedom
February 14, 2007, 03:34 PM
Judging by the last pic, wolves 1, moose 0. Hard to escape in the snow. Pretty neat.

Odd Job
February 14, 2007, 03:58 PM
Everybody has to eat.

tube_ee
February 14, 2007, 04:28 PM
the wolves that is. 1 moose = lots of food.

If you ever consider yourself a great hunter, watch actual predators at work. You will hang your head in shame, and you will probably learn a lot. Heck, just watch your cat stalking a bird in the yard. There's no human who's ever lived that could stalk so silently of lethally. Our technology gets us in the game, but even so, we're second-rate.

It's a miracle we survived.

--Shannon

taylorce1
February 14, 2007, 04:32 PM
http://www.isleroyalewolf.org/photo_ess/pe_EP_kills_moose.htm

Fat White Boy
February 19, 2007, 12:20 AM
I found it interesting that the author noted that the wolves ate the moose while it was still alive. Anti-hunters always bring up a less than clean kill as a reason not to hunt. I don't know but I think I would rather be shot and wounded than be dragged down and watch while a pack of wolves eats me from the inside out.

robc
February 19, 2007, 10:13 AM
It says in the article that the pack in the pictures had recently killed the leader of a neighboring pack! It's the canine mob!:cool:

FrontSight
February 19, 2007, 11:26 AM
Nice find, thanks!

ENC
February 20, 2007, 03:09 PM
Hey tube_ee just to let you know that Peter H. Capstick stated in the intro to Death in the Long Grass that he used to stalk and catch by hand songbirds in his front yard as a young boy.

Evan

MD_Willington
February 20, 2007, 09:32 PM
I've seen that and the aftermath in Alberta, we were in the same area where they captured the wolves that were set out in Yellowstone park. The wolves picked a swamp donkey clear down to the bones... Never bothered with us.

Jseime
February 20, 2007, 11:09 PM
Note to self...when calling coyotes in an area where wolves may be, take a buddy and some spare ammo. The biggest pack of coyotes I have seen is three and I would hate to see what they do to young deer in our area.

Dave R
February 21, 2007, 11:15 AM
Wow, dramatic story and pix.

Leaves no doubt that a wolf pack could take an unarmed human, if it ever chose to do so. A human couldn't put up near the fight the moose did.

JAXX
March 8, 2007, 05:34 AM
Wolves suck. My favorite bumper sticker says, "Welcome to Wyoming, now take a wolf and go home"!

Smoke Screen
March 8, 2007, 11:25 AM
Yowza!! :eek: Talk about a crazy experience! I've seen about 4 moose live in the woods in my short life, and every time I see one, them seem to get bigger and bigger. I'll bet those wolves weighed about 185 pounds a piece! Tell' em to save me some moose jerky. :D

kingudaroad
March 8, 2007, 08:12 PM
Wolves suck. My favorite bumper sticker says, "Welcome to Wyoming, now take a wolf and go home"!

I think they were there first.

FirstFreedom
March 8, 2007, 08:26 PM
I don't know but I think I would rather be shot and wounded than be dragged down and watch while a pack of wolves eats me from the inside out.

I thought a lot about this statement, and after initially agreeing, now would disagree. I'd much rather be eaten alive by wolves, because it's going to be over relatively quickly, and while you are being eaten, you will be going on constant adrenaline dump, so you won't feel too much pain. But being shot & wounded, after the adrenaline wears off, the real pain can set in, and then you die a long horrible death, and ultimately be eaten by crows, buzzards, skunks, ants & worms instead of wolves. Ants are gonna take a LOT longer to eat you alive than wolves. I'd rather contribute to the wolves' nutrition than the other critters. However, I'm sure I'd feel differently if I lived up there - people dislike them for pretty good reasons.

rem33
March 8, 2007, 08:30 PM
Yep, FF, I rather just take the gun and shoot the wolves, solve both problems at once..Grins

JAXX
March 9, 2007, 11:31 PM

That doesn't make what they do right, nor does it make anyone who has to live around or near wolves feel safe. How would you feel if people who didn't live within a thousand miles of you told you that you needed to repopulate a wolf species and that your state had to budget for the management of these animals? And, by the way, they are going to be protected. Meaning that if they are eating your calves, too bad. If they are eating your goats, too bad. If they are eating your chickens, too bad. If they are driving the mountain lions down out of the hills into the valleys, too bad. Guess why? Because they were there first. I don't have a problem with wolves being around, what I have a problem with are people who have never been to my state telling me what I have to have in it, and then valuing the worth of that animal over the worth of a human life or a mans livelyhood. You have no idea the battle that is going on in this state right now, nor the puddle which you are sticking your toe into, my advice, dry your foot and walk away and have a nice day. This fight is not yours.

fisherman66
March 9, 2007, 11:54 PM
little off topic.....

I was in Johnson county, WY this week for business. I finished work early on Monday and decided to take a drive in the mountains. I found a trail (Tie Hack Road) leading to a mountain lake and decided to take in the view. I drove the rent-a-car less than a eighth of a mile and snow started to cover the gravel road. I drove another 100 yards or so and realized I made a big mistake. The trail was too narrow to turn around and too slippery to go in reverse. Long story short I stuck that little Nissan Sentra good. I was catching just enought to cell service to get a call into 911 and 4 hours later the tow truck made it's way down that trail. Tow truck got stuck, but chained up and pulled my sorry butt off the trail. While waiting and enjoying the beauty I found tons of cougar tracks. It was facinating until I started to think about spending the night up there. Talk about heebe jeebes. I was very happy to see that tow truck.

rem33
March 9, 2007, 11:54 PM
have a problem with are people who have never been to my state telling me what I have to have in it,

A++ on that one.

People that don't live here just don't get it I don't think.
Not for the most part,

We here in rural western areas DO NOT want or need folks that live a thousand or three miles away telling us how to do things here. The only wolf advocates I see on the tube look like they belong to Green Peace (bunny huggers) It isn't necessarily me saying that I hear it a lot, donut shot, barber shop all over.. It's just hey guys, if you don't live and hunt or run cattle here you ain't got a clue.

I have seen a wolf less than 2 miles from my back door. I was living out of town, far enough our dogs ran free. Absolutely nothing between that animal and the dogs, and horses but sage brush. How would you wolf lovers like that in your back yard, with only barb wire fences around?
I got a buddy that is afraid to let his dog out at night, he hears em and sees tracks often near his house.

YOU don't walk in our shoes so don't tell us how to step.
When's the last time you saw a rural fella trying to tell big city guy how to run the city, because it was crime ridden and guns were almost none existent, hardly anyplace to shoot, and his small town was the opposite? Same idea in a lot of ways, think about it.
Now you guys that like wolfs and live out some where back east don't get in a tizzy, but that view I just said is thought and said alot around these parts.

stinger
March 10, 2007, 01:49 AM

So were bacteria and viruses. What exactly is your point?

kingudaroad
March 10, 2007, 03:58 PM
I sure apologize if you feel I would rather see a wolf population thrive if it means your welfare is at stake. That is not my point at all. If their overpopulation is a problem in your area then I can see your point clearly.

That does not mean that they have no right to existence. A lot of times protection issues backfire and overpopulation ensues. Other times overhunting results in extinction. You would think we would be smart enough to figure it out.

I certainly do not have the answers. I did however truly enjoy that story and the pictures.

I am sure those wolves are very dangerous to live around and Jaxx, I wish you the best with your wolf problem.

To compare wolves or any other animal with bacteria and virus is simply ludicrous.

JAXX
March 10, 2007, 05:31 PM
I appreciate your apology King. This issue is very easy to look at from afar through "Rose colored glasses" if you know what I mean. Unfortunately, people who live in San Fransisco who have never even set foot in any forest, let alone the mountains of Wyoming, decide that they know what is best for me and my state. I agree that wolves have a right to exist, everything does for that matter. The area of concern is when thier right to exist directly effects the right of men to live safely and happily. As nasty as it may sound, the farmers and ranchers who homesteaded here over 150 years ago worked for many years to rid this area of wolves. For other people who have never had to deal with or confront this problem to decide that they no what's best, is completely rediculous. I apologize as well King, this is a touchy subject with me, and I lit off pretty good. I did not mean to dump you into that well of Liberalism that has really torqued me into a frenzy as of late.

Kato_Guy
March 10, 2007, 05:37 PM
The whole thing about the wolvevs killing deer, moose etc... doesn't bother me everything has too eat. If I love grass do I hate deer for eating it?

In minnesota the dnr has been transplanting them damn wolves all over northern minnesota. How many millions have they spent on bringing them back? how many wolves a year does the AVERAGE person see umm prolly 0.2 people. would it harm us if they were gone? The wolves are doing what they do-survive. If anyone should be mad at anyone they should be mad at the people that are supporting the transplantation and protection of wolves.

My father in law has those things running in his back yard harrassing his dog. I wouldn't lose any sleep if the wolves were gone!

JAXX
March 10, 2007, 06:08 PM
See, thats the thing. People say, "Let nature take its course". Well that's all fine and dandy. But here in the real world, that doesn't make much sense. The wolf is pretty much at the top of its food chain. It has no natural predators. Unless it dies of old age or sickness or injury obtained during the hunt, there is no other animal that will hunt it and or kill it. So, if this animal is left "Unchecked" which is happening now because it is considered endangered, then it will continue to run rampant in certain parts of the country slowly driving dow the population of Deer, Elk, Moose and privately owned livestock for that matter. If the environmentalist would just see that it is a predatory animal that needs to be kept in check, then I think the problem would take care of itself. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening anytime soon. Because, "The Wolves don't leave Yellowstone, it's a natural barrier" Yeah right, tell that to the farmers and ranchers who have lost cattle and sheep and goats that live over 70 miles away from the park in Wyoming, Montana and Idaho.

Gbro
March 10, 2007, 06:55 PM
Couple years back the local gander Mountain store had a wolf display(full body mounts) 4 wolves, and 1 small doe. the doe was laid out with the wolves around it. Not one hair out place on the deer!, Why it must have died of fright. When i commented on it to the store manager he said the FED's have rules about aggressive displays. Some people just can't accept the facts of nature, or is it big brother wants to control how the masses see things?

rem33
March 10, 2007, 07:14 PM
Well lets take a different look at this reintroduction thing. When the wolf ran free in America a couple of hundred years ago there was how many millions of buffalo at least that many million antelope. Elk were a plains animal and a different people lived here, or at least west of the Mississippi River, Everything was different. Then things changed to farms city's etc. It is impossible to return no matter how hard we try. Man has done pretty good with what was left the last 100 years or so why mess up the balance we have now?

Here in Idaho our Fish and Game Dept's. IMO have done a great job over the last 75 years or so. Deer and elk hunting is maybe the best it has ever been and thing are kept pretty much in balance.

60 wolves were released, with a target of 300 in this whole NW area. Now we have 12 to 1500. Does this sound reasonable really? The whole thing was/is a fiasco from the start but if it had been kept in check like the so called target amount it wouldn't be so bad. But that my friends is not what is happening.

Whats on the Calif. State flag? It's a grizzly bear. Why don't we reintroduce Grizzles into the Angles Natl. Forest, Yosemite, the Sierra's, Redwoods and heck even the coastal Mountains.

It is a different time now and we can't go back no matter how hard we try.
It is a shame so many of you have fallen into the propaganda trap of the environmentalists. Same as the poor folks that have never been around guns are against them and want "gun control".