PDA

View Full Version : hunting dogs?

Pecos21
February 14, 2007, 10:21 AM
I know this is a gun based forum, but I would like some information on selecting a hunting dog.
Needs:
easily trainable to retrieve / track
likes water
non-agressive towards kids
can be left alone at home for extended hours while im at work

is a lab the best option for this? It seems that training labs is pretty hit or miss. They are either well trained or a mess.

What are your thoughts?

robc
February 14, 2007, 10:31 AM
All else being equal? and it seldom is. Yes. I've had two labs. Both were serviceable hunting dogs in all regards. Not great at anything, but good enough at everything. They were both a little tough to hunt Grouse with. Not a good game for flushing dogs. But for pheasant and water? They worked. Both were AWSOME family dogs. I'm on my 3rd german shorthair, and all 3 have been insane. They have better noses than God, but they are insane. The one I have now is, as I write this, running laps on the main floor of the house... by itself. :confused:

buck460XVR
February 14, 2007, 01:54 PM
I have had gun dogs most all my life including Beagles, labs, German Shorthairs and German Wirehairs. Wirehairs(drahtharrs) are considered "Versatile" hunting dogs and for good reason...they are natural pointers, trailers, retrievers and love water. They mature at a early age(unlike labs), stay close in the woods, love to be trained and are very good family dogs when kept in line with the pecking order. Only problem sometimes is they like to trail deer also, but are easily broken. Would recommend them to anyone. Good luck with your decision.

Fat White Boy
February 15, 2007, 12:12 AM
I have hunted over quite few. My favorite is the Field Bred English Cocker Spaniel. Good active hunters and great personality as a pet...