PDA

View Full Version : Do you hunt with contact lenses or glasses?

Rembrandt
February 11, 2007, 06:59 PM
For years I've fought the need to get glasses, but the old eye sight isn't what it use to be. Last year (at 56) I started wearing prescription glasses, trees limbs and outlines never looked crisper. I hate looking through binocs with glasses on. How do contact lenses work in cold weather and overall for hunting?

Fat White Boy
February 11, 2007, 07:59 PM
I have worn glasses since I was 8 due to an astigmatism. The only time it bothers me is when I use binoculars...I take them off for binos...I have tried hard and soft contacts. Both irritate my eyes so I use glasses...

Jseime
February 11, 2007, 08:30 PM
I like contacts. They dont fog up...they dont get covered in dirt and deer blood...if its bright out you can throw on some sunglasses theyre just all around better

Capt Charlie
February 11, 2007, 08:43 PM
I've worn them at ten below zero with no real problems. The only problem you might encounter would be the dry air at low temperatures, and that's easily solved with re-wetting drops.

The newer contacts have 100% oxygen transmission, and that makes all the difference in comfort, reduced infections, etc.

There's a similar thread (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237116&page=2) in the general handguns forum you might find of interest.

stinger
February 11, 2007, 09:45 PM
I use both (though not at the same time.)

I have worn disposable contacts since I was a teen. When my eyes are irritated, I switch to glasses. I much prefer contacts, but they do get dry and it wouldn't be much fun to lose one without a backup plan (glasses.)

As I get older, I find myself wearing glasses more and more. I'm not really sure why, it just seems to work out that way.

Regards,

Stinger

rantingredneck
February 11, 2007, 09:51 PM
I've worn glasses for years and hunt with them regularly. Riflescopes don't bother me with them. Binocs only slightly bug me. Usually I'll flip the glasses up on my head and use the binocs without them. 9 times out of 10 though I leave the binocs in the truck because where I usually hunt is so thick they don't really give me any benefit.

harleybabe69
February 11, 2007, 10:20 PM
I wear both, but prefer my contacts over glasses.

The only real problem that I have with them is the use of binoculars. I can't quite get the settings right - I either get a blurred image or the image gets doubled and NO I don't drink while I hunt, that is just an accident looking to happen!!

rem33
February 11, 2007, 10:27 PM
I wear glasses, my binoculars have eye cups that will slid in or out for wearing glasses, I rarely use that option as their much easier to use with out the glasses.
Only time glasses have been a problem is when it's very cold then getting back into the warm pickup after glassing a area.

moose fat
February 12, 2007, 01:44 AM
I think contacts are way better than glasses. I don't worry about wearing them in the cold, -40, my eyes water so much in the cold dry air that the tears freeze on my eyelashes, thats about all.

With contacts you have all of your periferal vision. After wearing glasses and then switching to contacts, big difference.

BIGR
February 12, 2007, 05:39 PM
I wear contacts all the time and have no problem in cold weather with them. If my eyes get dry I use the rewetting drops to moisten them up. I have worn glasses before but hated the glare and they would fog up at times.

taylorce1
February 12, 2007, 06:05 PM
I like contacts. They dont fog up...they dont get covered in dirt and deer blood...if its bright out you can throw on some sunglasses theyre just all around better
+1 to this as well as they are easier to use in the rain. I couldn't qualify in Basic Training while shooting my M16. The rain in GA was poring down and trying to see through water spots and foggy lenses. I had to go back the next day to qualify after the rain stopped.

skeeter1
February 12, 2007, 07:11 PM
if its bright out you can throw on some sunglasses theyre just all around better

You might also want to consider photogrey glasses. I've worn them for years, and if it's bright out, they practically turn into sunglasses. Just another option to think about. :cool:

FrontSight
February 13, 2007, 05:49 PM
contacts can get annoying with drying out from the cold. other than that they are great

Dave Haven
February 13, 2007, 10:11 PM
I wear glasses. Eye protection.

el Divino
February 14, 2007, 07:07 PM
both glasses or contacts are fine, if it's rainig or not would make a difference and for the binoc problems depends on the brand, some brands have the extension eye cups for people that wear glasses

BIGR
February 14, 2007, 07:48 PM
Rembrandt, go to your eye doctor and let him fix you up with some of the soft contacts, such as maybe the disposable kind. Try them for a while and see if you like them. Some people can wear them just fine and others are not so lucky. Years ago I started out wearing the Boston Lens (hard lense) and they almost turned me against wearing them beacuse they were not that comfortable. Then I went to the soft disposable lens and I tell you it made the difference, just like night and day. Most of the time I don't even know the contacts are in my eyes and have worn them for extended periods of time. I always hated glasses and I think I see better with the contacts.

Death from Afar
February 15, 2007, 12:22 AM
Great thread. I wear glasses, and they are only a pain for bino use. I think the right lens adds extra eye protection, so they are just all good.

FirstFreedom
February 15, 2007, 05:25 PM
contacts are highly preferred, as they won't fog up in very cold weather! BTDT with glasses; doesn't work at all when your face covering directs your outbound breath up and under the glasses.

Drawback can be that contacts do not correct for astigmatisms. Furthermore, if this is the first time in your life that you've worn contacts, it's a royal pain at first getting used to how to put them in - it can be extremely frustrating getting them in. Once you've done it for 6 months to a year or so, it becomes much much easier, like riding a bike.

masterhunter
February 15, 2007, 09:33 PM
Take it from me I've done both...glasses just plain stink for hunting.
wether its raining or cold they fog up all the time, so I went to contacts and they were great for a while but waking up at 3am they feel like sandpaper in the eyeballs plus they dry out during the day...so 3yrs ago I had lasik surgery done......thats the way to go! I just wish I could have done it sooner.
trust me,...now that I have 20/13 vision (thats better then 20/20) things just plain jump out at me all the time. always amazes my hunting buddies when I can pick out things quicker than them.

Hobie
February 15, 2007, 09:37 PM
I have hunted with contact lens. Worked great. Now need bifocals. Ummm. Might just get a pair of "hunting" glasses not for reading. I've been considering lasik (or some form of surgical correction). I've been wearing glasses since I was 6 and I'm tired of it.

Yellowfin
February 26, 2007, 05:18 PM
I prefer contacts, but occasionally run into allergy problems and have my eyes itching terribly so glasses stay on for the majority of the time, particularly in the early fall or spring.

roy reali
February 26, 2007, 05:21 PM
I had lasix done on my eyes several years ago. I now only wear protective glasses. My shooting has improved, espically my shotgunning. Not that I am great, but better then before.

Dave R
February 26, 2007, 07:59 PM
All my hunting has been done while wearing glasses. Upland, varmit, and a little big game. I wear a retaining strap. But I've never had a problem with fogging or dripping. Then again, I've never hunted in pouring rain, either.

I have hunted in light rain, and a typical hat kept my glasses dry, and visibility good.

Yup, binoculars are a bit of a pain, but only in that I turn the rubber cups down, as the directions direct, when I use them. But everyone else has to roll the rubber cups back up when they use them. Then I have to roll them down again...

stevelyn
February 28, 2007, 02:08 PM
If I'm going out for the day. I'll wear contacts. If I'm going to be camping out, I'll wear my glasses only due to contact care being problematic under primitive conditions.

Drawbacks can be that contacts don't correct astigmatisms...

Yes they do, but they are only available in the the Toric daily wear versions. Hence the problems associated with contact care under primitive conditions.

RedneckFur
February 28, 2007, 05:19 PM
I've always hunted with glasses. I dont particularlly like it either. I hope to get contacts, or laser surgery somtime in the near future.