PDA

View Full Version : Your time before first intentional coyote?

Blacktail_Slayer
February 10, 2007, 12:17 AM
How long did you specificly hunt coyote before you got one, by calling or baiting?

Dean C
February 10, 2007, 10:37 AM
I'll let you know when I shoot one. Been tryin' for a long time.
dean

Scorch
February 10, 2007, 02:16 PM
About a month. Then I went about another month before the next. Then I learned all I could about coyotes, and I started taking them very regularly. Here's my tips-
* Learn to get into a good position quietly, then wait about 30 minutes before you start calling. Remember, the coyotes live there and know the area very well.

* Don't use a loud call. They can hear a mouse squeak at 100 yds, why are you wailing at 100 dB for 2 minutes? Don't you think they can hear you?

* Cottontail in distress and a squeaker are all it takes. 20 seconds with a cottontail call, then after about 15 minutes use the squeaker. Keep your eyes open and watch for them circling around downwind.

* If you don't get results within 30 minutes, call again. If you still don't get results, move after about 1 hour. Can't sit still for one hour? Well, then you might not get very many coyotes.

Fat White Boy
February 12, 2007, 01:21 AM
The ones I have shot are when I am hunting birds and I see the while I am moving from one area to another. I was chukar hunting in Nevada last year and saw one going up a hill. I had brought my .308 VLS for that purpose. I hit him at 218 yards using Milsurp ammo.

Jseime
February 13, 2007, 01:33 AM
It takes a few times of going out and calling before you get em figured out. The first couple times i didnt even see them coming in then they took off before i got to shoot then you start to know what to look for and when its ok to fidget around and see them coming in half a mile away then you learn when to shoot and when to keep calling.

Before you know it youll be getting one every time you go out... I was this summer and ive only gotten out once this winter and got outsmarted...again.

Blacktail_Slayer
February 13, 2007, 10:39 AM
I have been seriously after them from november to march of last year and from about october til now, i have called in 2 once when i had my bow but couldnt get a chance to draw, then one i called in when i had my gun but it cirlced too far out for me to shoot.