PDA

View Full Version : Budget semi-auto Gun!!

fattsgalore
February 9, 2007, 03:37 AM
Whats a good budget semi-auto shotgun. Under $500 if it exist.
I'm not an old'fashion pump-action guy.
I like the idea of volume.

ShipWreck
February 9, 2007, 08:42 AM
I've seen semi-auto Beretta shotguns for under $600... Sorry, can't help ya with the $500 thing...

AmesJainchill
February 9, 2007, 09:06 AM
Have you heard of the Saiga? Detachable magazines.
I think they are going for around $500 now.
You can get 8- or 10-round mags for it, though they are extremely expensive (~$100 for one). On the other hand, is there another shotgun like it that takes such large detachable mags?

Dave McC
February 9, 2007, 09:46 AM
Used 1100s are around for less than $500. Classic design, and durable.

Jeff Mulliken
February 9, 2007, 09:55 AM
Personally I'm a fan of the old A5's.....but for your needs I'm with Dave.

But you really can't beat the 1100.

Jeff

SCTigerJeep
February 9, 2007, 10:46 AM
i would highly recommend a Remington SPR453 (Spartan 453, Baikal MP153). they can be found for less than $400 new, 4+1 capacity, built like a tank, come with 4 screw in chokes, and the capability to shoot 2 3/4", 3", and 3.5" shells. they also come with an adjustable gas system (something not found in alot of guns 2-3 times the cost) that allows you to shoot the lighest 2 3/4" target loads to the heaviest 3.5" magnum loads you can find. i have used mine extensively for skeet and sporting clays, and a few times for bird hunting, and i have no complaints whatsoever. i usually shoot with a friend who has a Remington 11-87, and mine always performs as well or better than his. he also gets jealous that i can shoot 1 oz. shells as well as 3.5" shells and he can't, yet he paid almost $200 more for his gun.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/SPR_models/SPR453_autoloader.asp

if you have any doubt about how well this gun is built, check out this video. (the video is of a baikal mp153, but the SPR453 is exact same gun with a few updated parts):

http://www.svmag.com/test_baikal.wmv

:cool:

FirstFreedom
February 9, 2007, 10:49 AM
So far I'm very pleased with my NEF "Excel Auto 5", which was $351 plus tax brand new (12 ga, front & rear FO sights, camo, 22" turkey gun). Comes with four chokes, including x-full, and a mag plug for upland game It's made in Turkey for NEF. Runs flawlessly, is lightweight, and handles 3.0" mags:

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/excell.aspx

Other models there too of course.

There is also an amazing deal on a shotgun at CDNN which I'm going to pick up.

steveracer
February 9, 2007, 11:13 AM
I just got one for $250, and it eats all kinds of 12ga. They are around for even less if you look. Made by Howa in Japan. Quality stuff for that price.
Steve

Jseime
February 9, 2007, 11:40 AM
I would be a little leary about a cheap auto shotgun. I have this terrible foreboding feeling about cheap semi-auto guns.

fattsgalore
February 9, 2007, 05:45 PM
Would someone mind teaching me about the chokes, it's alien technology to me. (i'm never to proud to ask whats what)

I've looked into the Saiga12 not to long ago and i really like it. I personally like the simply hunting version not those tricky tactical ones. Magazine fed is really cool.
I like the Remington too.

SCTigerJeep
February 9, 2007, 07:31 PM
chokes change how much the shot pattern spreads after it leaves the barrel.

from smallest pattern to largest: cylinder, light skeet, skeet, improved skeet, improved cylinder, light modified, modified, improved modified, light full, full, extra full, super full.

the Remington SPR-453 i mentioned above comes with improved cylinder, modified, full, and extra full chokes.

BigJimP
February 9, 2007, 08:03 PM
A used Beretta or Benelli should fit that category for you ( especially an older model ). Just find a clean one that's been well cared for and you'll still get a lot of use out of it. My first choice would be a Benelli / 2nd a Beretta / 3rd a Remington 1100 or similar series - but I'm not a big fan of the "gas guns" - they're a lot more trouble to keep clean.

DWARREN123
February 10, 2007, 02:46 AM
Charles Daily. Usually at Waal-Mart.

fattsgalore
February 13, 2007, 02:08 AM
The charles daly actually looks like a good buy.

Smitty in CT
February 13, 2007, 11:37 AM
The Mossberg 930, usually selling for around $400.

Here's a link to a rewiew of mine:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=98511

Great gun, willl handle ANY 2-3/4" shell I put into it including the Winchester AA12FL (26g, #8, 950 fps)

******PLUS, IT"S MADE IN THE USA!!!!!!!******
Smitty

Clayfish
February 13, 2007, 12:24 PM
Look for a good used shotgun. A browning gold can be found for around $500. Also a good 1100 or 1187 is around that price range. Stay away from new budget semis. They may shoot good for the first couple thousand rounds but they will soon show their true colors.

famine
February 13, 2007, 01:00 PM
CZ and Stoeger both make semi-auto shotguns in that price range, I haven't had a chance to check any out at the gun shop but the stoeger looks like it uses the system that benneli uses.

rantingredneck
February 13, 2007, 01:27 PM
I will add a word of caution about Charles Daly. They're an importer not a manufacturer and they've changed their source for their semiauto shotguns quite a bit over the last 10 yrs or so. Their quality and service has suffered as a result. They have a reputation for FTF problems (light primer strikes) I had one that did it once and afterwards never trusted it again. I got rid of it recently. One gun shop I took it to wouldn't even take it in trade, their rep is so bad that the gun shop no longer would carry them new much less used. The other offered me 275 for the gun (which retailed for about 500.00 new at WM), luckily I'd only paid 350.00 for mine when a local WM was closing out of their guns so I wasn't out much. The trade value should give you some indication of their quality.

Death from Afar
February 13, 2007, 03:08 PM
I cant comment on prices in the USA, but Just keep a beady eye out for second hand guns. A good used browning or remington will give you far less problems than a el cheapo commie or turk gun. Dont forget, trap guns do hundreds of thousands of rounds, so stay away from a ex skeet or trap gun. unless you are sure its not heavily used. My 1100 has fired 25,000 + rds and is still going strong.

rellascout
February 13, 2007, 03:42 PM
If you can come up with just a little more money CDNN has Remington 1100 Tacticals in OD green for $569

Is this a hunting or defense gun?

Desert Heat
February 13, 2007, 03:47 PM
Saiga 12 is around 400 new and some places toss in the 10 round mag if you are lucky.

quack fiend
February 13, 2007, 07:53 PM
do you waterfowl or turkey hunt and need 3.5" capability? baikal mp-153/spartan spr-453, best deal going--i own 2!!! otherwise, find an old remington model 11 in good shape (2 & 3/4", about $300) or browning auto-5 (these are available in 3", about $500), they don't make 'um like this anymore, all forged-steel and hand-fitted--and that includes your high-dollar italian plastiguns :barf:

robc
February 13, 2007, 08:08 PM
Both the Stoeger 2000 (I think that's the model) and the new Franchi (A12 or something?) are based on the inertia system. Phil Bourja... whatshisface from Field and Stream wrote that the Stoeger has a better purchase/repair ratio than the original. Both are a LOT cheaper. If I was in the market for a new auto 12 I'd be looking at one of those two. Most likely the Franchi, since I already have two semi-autos from Franchi (28 g. and 20 g.) and love them both.

GodblessAmerica
February 14, 2007, 12:53 AM
I'm with RR above on the Charles Daly. I bought one stamped "Made In Turkey" a couple of years ago at Walmart for about $303. Seemed like a bargain with the multiple chokes included. However, even after a very vigorous first cleaning/oiling, its' action felt (and sounded:eek: ) like it had been buried in sand. I never had any ftf/fte issues the few times I shot it, but I had a major issue with their customer service. The plastic buffer on it was out of round and really rough, enough so that it was scratching the blueing off the magazine tube that it slides on. I called customer service (after no action from an email to same), described the issue and was promised a new buffer by the end of the week. It's now a year and a half later and I still haven't received the replacement! No matter, I traded the gun off 6 months ago after explaining the issue to the buyer, didn't affect function just appearance. As others have suggested, I'd instead look at better manufacturers for new, or very good used guns from the big names in the shotgun industry.

fattsgalore
February 14, 2007, 01:22 AM
Home defense and range.

guntotin_fool
February 14, 2007, 03:50 AM
1100 rem. I just worked on refinishing a stock that had no finish left on it, and it had started out with that super polyurethane that Dupont was coating them witha few years ago. Estimated round count thru that shot gun is just under a half Million. Trap league shooter who shoots three nights a week, every week, rain or shine. He has a stack of 500 straight patches in the gun case, and a little log book of every round he shoots.

Get a 1100, read the manual, and follow it. will out last you or your kids.

Smitty in CT
February 14, 2007, 09:49 AM
Home defense and range.

Mossberg sells a Field / Security combo set for the 930, it comes with a 28" vent-ribbed barrel and an 18½" security barrel.

An 18½" barrel auto loader........sweet!!

Mossberg lists it in their new catalog as P/N 85325

fattsgalore
February 14, 2007, 05:38 PM
Reason I've been acquiring info on a shoty is cause you can't beat the versatility of the weapon, and they can be had for the same price as a cheap handgun $3-400.
I'm just a semi auto guy. If i own a firearm it has to be a semi whether it is a rifle; handgun; or shoty.

BUCKMARK
February 14, 2007, 07:25 PM
1100 Remington.

New field model if you can find one for around $500. Or get a good used one. Wal-Mart had the synthetic models a few years ago for $400. Look for one on Gunbroker.

TJHell
February 24, 2007, 08:29 AM
SPR453™ Autoloader
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/SPR_models/spr453_autoloader_specs.asp

Z400ACDC
February 24, 2007, 12:10 PM
That 453 may be a good gun, but it looks like it come from Toys R Us. For a plastic gun, it sure felt heavy. I bought a 1100 for $300 yesterday that looked new. If I was a hunter, I guess that 453 would be good. I just shoot clays in the back yard some. I like the looks of those 1100s

fattsgalore
February 24, 2007, 04:18 PM
Which one of these auto loaders has the greatest capacity.

SCTigerJeep
February 24, 2007, 07:30 PM
the SPR453 and the 1100 only weigh .25 lbs different. 8.25 lb for the 453 and 8 lb for the 1100. both have 4+1 capacity.

Z400ACDC
February 24, 2007, 09:54 PM
I know what the specs say, but it sure felt more. The looks of the 453 was disapointing. It may be a better gun than a 1100. I just like wood!