PDA

View Full Version : Is it Legal???

kickshot85
February 5, 2007, 07:19 PM
I recently bought a Taurus 4410 revolver, which shoots .45 colts and 410 gauge shotgun shells. My question is this, though, is it legal to hunt small game (rabbits, dove, etc.) with this revolver? I live in Louisiana and can't find the answer on the Wildlife and Fisheries website. I was hoping someone in-state could answer this question for me. I know that at around 25-30 feet the spread with #6 shot is around 3-5 feet. With my current small game shotgun, a 12 gauge, at the same distance I get a spread reasonably the same. Also, would this revolver be appropriate for close in deer shots, under 50 yards. The gun is accurate enough for me, but would the round take care of business, or would 410 slugs be more appropriate? Any input would be appreciated.

Invicta
February 5, 2007, 09:05 PM
check out page 26 of the Louisiana hunting regulations http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/pdfs/hunting/LA2006hunting.pdf.

It says that, " it shall be illegal to hunt or take squirrels or rabbits at any time with a breech-loaded rifle or handgun larger than a .22 caliber rimfire or a muzzleloader rifle larger than a .36 caliber."

so it looks like you would not be allowed to use your Taurus .45/410 because it is larger than .22 and its not a rimfire. also even though you gun can shoot shotgun loads it probably would still be considered a handgun and not a shotgun. also you cant use a shotgun that holds more than 3 shells. so it looks like your out of luck on this one.

T. O'Heir
February 5, 2007, 10:58 PM
Shot fired out of rifled barrels produce pattterns with huge holes in it. The shot string flies in a spiral sending the shot who knows where.

sasquatch
February 5, 2007, 11:06 PM
Well, I've fired shot shells in my Ruger .44 mag, and they don't pattern all that bad. Close enough for snakes at about 3 yards.

Greybeard
February 6, 2007, 08:54 PM
Yep, around 3 yards is max effective range of shot loads. 410s likely a little more, but not much out of a handgun. Pattern board is your friend.

The 45 Colt "cowboy loads" are about as inexpensive as you'll find. And will do a number on small game. I'd bump the ammo up a notch for deer - and practice a lot first on picnic plates to learn your limitations.

But, ya mentioned "dove", which is migratory (controlled by the Feds) and in Tejas anyway, can only be taken legally with a shot gun.

Art Eatman
February 7, 2007, 11:42 AM
My general limit for offhand shooting without a rest is the distance at which I can hit the end of a beer can almost every shot. A 250-grain to 300-grain bullet in a .45 Colt will certainly do the job at that distance...

Art

publius
February 8, 2007, 05:06 PM
Definitely cannot use it for doves or any other migratory bird for that matter. Holds more than 3 shots.