PDA

View Full Version : Your Neck Of The Woods

roy reali
January 28, 2007, 01:13 PM
I now have hunting experience in two states. I have noticed certain species are more popular to hunt in Nevada and California.

Waterfowl hunting is very popular in both states. Deer hunting is probably a close second. Dove and turkey hunting are fairly popular. Pheasant hunting is definately more popular in California, while chukar hunting is pretty common in the Silver State. Quail hunting is hardly done by anyone in either state. Small game and varmints are kind of in the middle of the popularity scale in both states. Nevada might have slight edge there due to more access to public land.

Now, I have a question.

In your particular area, what seems to be popular to hunters? What seems unpopular? I was wondering if there are regional differences around the country or if we all seem to hunt the same game.

Thanks for any feedback.

whiskey
January 28, 2007, 02:23 PM
Hogs
Deer
Dove, quail, snipe
Turkey
squirrels and rabbits
gators

hinkleid
January 28, 2007, 02:39 PM
Idaho

Deer (Mule) and elk... not sure which is #1 as they are both very popular.

Not sure on waterfowl. I have not been into that since I was a teenager, should get back into it though as I do have a 12 gauge (Weatherby, around 20 years old and still looks new)

stuckon308
January 28, 2007, 04:22 PM
Whitetail (by far)
Bear
Chickens
Beaver

Surprisingly geese/ducks are not so popular. I only know of 5 hunters other than me who went out for Canadian geese this year.

skeeter1
January 28, 2007, 05:33 PM
Surprisingly geese/ducks are not so popular.

Around here, they've pretty much sucked the life out of waterfowl hunting. Steel shot is all you can use, and I can't use them in my SxS doubles.

Whitetails are probably the most popular, and turkeys are big in the southern portion of the state. The turkeys are gradually moving further north (saw three of them outside my parent's house a couple of years ago), but my entire county is "no firearms discharge" any more. :(

roy reali
January 28, 2007, 07:05 PM
Here in Nevada and back in California, quail hunting isn't very popular. A friend of mine that moved to California several years ago from Missouri told me that it is very popular there.

Are there any other parts of the country that has a lot of hunters going after these little birds?

robc
January 28, 2007, 07:21 PM
Deer - Minnesota takes two weeks off of everything. There's like 5 million people in the state and everyone over age 4 buys a tag.:D Next is grouse. This is strange, cuz there are no grouse in MN. Seriously, don't bother trying to hunt them here. Take my word for it. ;) Next is waterfowl. I seldom go because each time I shoot a duck, that's one more time I gotta pretend I like eating them. Next is pheasant. This ain't the Dakotas, but it ain't bad either. Rabbit and squirrel seem to be left for the kids around here. Maybe some folks will take issue with me writing that, but that's what it seems like in my circles. We also have turkey, bear, moose, elk (not every year) and various other critters.

Desertfox
January 28, 2007, 08:09 PM
Texas and Oklahoma for me.

Texas- Whitetail by far #1
Turkey, Hogs, waterfowl, dove, Javelina,predators, and rabbit/squirrel. Quail are running dry in alot of parts.

Oklahoma- Whitetail, Turkey, Rabbit/Squirrel, Waterfowl, hogs, Muleys in the west, predators and dove. Again, quail are on the comeback but I hear fireants wiped alot of them out.

These are not necessarily in order but whitetail is king in Texas and Oklahoma.
You have to include exotics in the mix also with so many ranches selling hunts and exotics free ranging in the south.

auburnboattail
January 28, 2007, 10:01 PM
Whitetail
Duck
Rabbit

rantingredneck
January 28, 2007, 10:07 PM
North Carolina

Deer (Whitetail)
Turkey
Dove
Rabbit
Squirrel
Predators becoming increasingly popular
Bear in the mountains and on the coast.
Waterfowl
Raccoon

zpurdy
January 28, 2007, 10:31 PM
West Virginia
Deer
turkey
bear
raccoon
rabbits
squirrel
not too sure about pheasant and waterfowl

boltgun71
January 28, 2007, 11:33 PM
New York
Whitetail Deer -Most popular by far!
Turkey -Second Most popular in central NY
Waterfowl -Mainly popular around the large lakes and some farms
Bear -Second Most popular in northern NY
Coyote -Small dedicated group of hunters
Rabbit -Small dedicated group of hunters
Squirrel -A favorite of mine but very un-popular
Woodchuck -Popular in the summer

JKump
January 29, 2007, 11:31 AM
Around here the most popular game animals are Whitetail deer, turkeys and then wild hogs.

Clayfish
January 29, 2007, 12:36 PM
Here in Georgia the whitetail is king. Next is dove, then hogs, turkey, quail, ducks, and other assorted small game.

sasquatch
January 29, 2007, 01:03 PM
In Washington:

mule deer (eastern half of the state)
blacktail deer (western half of the state)
elk
bear
waterfowl
turkey

The whitetail population is growing, but they are considered more of a nuisance than anything else (except for the very eastern part of the state).

Hans
January 29, 2007, 02:21 PM
Montana is so big and the landscape so different in different parts of the state, that it varies by area.

In the NE part where I grew up, whitetail and pheasant were easily the most popular.

I know that antelope are popular in the SE corner.

As far as where I live now, in the SW part of the state in the mountains, elk is easily the most popular from what I can gather. Probably the same up in the NW corner.

People also hunt mule deer, turkey, black bear, moose, ducks, geese, sharptail grouse, chuckar, and just about anything else that lives in the state.

Jseime
January 29, 2007, 04:54 PM
In my particular corner of Saskatchewan there are only a few species that we have but we hunt em all.

White-tail
Mulies
Geese
Ducks
Prairie Chickens
Coyotes
Rabbits
and Gophers

The occasional procupine and magpie finds its way onto the list when i get the chance. I generally leave the badgers and foxes alone.

FirstFreedom
January 29, 2007, 05:06 PM
I Okla, it is roughly this order of popularity:

1. Whitetails
2. Turkeys
3. Waterfowl (Ducks, geese, mergansers, coots, etc.)
4. Quail
5. Feral Hogs
6. Small game (cottontail rabbits/swamp rabbits/squirrels)
7. Pheasant
8. Varmints - Predators (coyote/bobcat)
9. Varmints - Prairie Dogs
10. Mule Deer
11. Other Furbearers (beaver, skunk, weasal, raccoon, fox, etc.)
12. Varmints - Crows
13. Pronghorn (controlled hunts only)
14. Elk (controlled hunts only)
15. The wildlife dept is considering creating short/draw-in seasons for river otters and black bear as well, but not yet.

That's western & central Okla - in eastern Okla, you'd have to put raccoon higher on the list - chasing them with hounds is popular out there in the sticks. Hogs would jump ahead of quail in eastern Okla also. No prairie dogs, no pronghorn, no pheasant, no mulies, and very few quail in eastern Okla.

Mannlicher
January 29, 2007, 06:22 PM
Whiskey pretty much covered hunting in North Flordia as well as in his AO.
Deer, hogs,small game, gators
quail, dove, turkey and ducks.

moose fat
January 30, 2007, 03:40 AM
In no particular order of preference, edible and fur bearing;
Moose
all kinds of ducks
geese
tundra swans
spruce hens
ptarmigon
seal, usually spotted
beluga whale
rabbit
snowshoe hare aka jackrabbits
bears, black and brown
beaver
muskrats
caribou
wolf
linx
river otter
red fox
porcupine

dragonfire
January 30, 2007, 08:35 AM
michigan-whitetail,turkey,ducks,geese,bear,coyotes,squirrel,partridge,and im sure theres a few others

piercfh
January 30, 2007, 03:48 PM
Alabama

Like most of the southeast whitetail is what is hunted the most.

I assume these are pretty close to order of importance for the average jo hunter around here.

deer
turkey
doves
waterfowl
quail (scarce)
squirrels, rabbits, coons, opossum
ferrel hogs
yotes
bobcats
various other varmints.

stevelyn
January 30, 2007, 06:49 PM
Out here in Aleutian Hell, brown bears and waterfowl. There is a little caribou and small game. Predators are also available in healthy numbers. The better hunting is further up the peninsula though.

This particular area is noted more for the fishing.

joab
January 30, 2007, 07:00 PM
Hog seem to be king here.
most serious deer hunters I know invade Georgia every year.

Small game like coon and squirrel has always seemed a little under appreciated to me.

Fat White Boy
January 31, 2007, 12:32 AM
I'm in California. I hunt hogs, quail, dove and the occasional Chukar here. Sometimes honkers and ducks if someone I know is going. I go to Nevada for Chukars and also to Arizona for quail, especially Mearns Quail...I shoot coyotes whenever I find them. Calfiornia has a few, Nevada has plenty...

skeeter1
January 31, 2007, 12:50 AM
3. Waterfowl (Ducks, geese, mergansers, coots, etc.)

Coots? There's a very derogitory knickname for them around here that I won't repeat, but we never shot them.

Death from Afar
January 31, 2007, 01:58 AM
New Zealand:

Rabbits - no season
Deer- no season
Chamois-no season
Thar-no season
Goats- no season
Wallabies- No season
Pigs- no season
pigeons- No season
Ducks- Season
Canada Geese- Season.

In no order, but I would say pig and rabbit hunting are the most popular.

roy reali
January 31, 2007, 08:57 AM
Do you guys in New Zealand have any upland game there? You know, quail-like birds? Do you have dove?

FirstFreedom
January 31, 2007, 07:31 PM
And what about NZ red deer?

And "no season" means you can never harvest them, right? Too bad. ;)

Zeek5793
January 31, 2007, 09:00 PM
The most popular will be
1-Wolf
2-Wolf
3-Wolf
4- Bull Elk
5-Wolf
6-Wolf
7-Wolf
8-Mule Deer
9-Wolf
10-Wolf
11-Wolf
12-Wolf
13- Cow Elk, Doe Deer,
14-water fowl, upland game birds,Rabbits
15- Rock chucks
16-Doves
17-Sage Grouse
18- Wolf
19-To 10,000,000,000 Wolf
Feel free to come to Idaho and hunt The WOLF all you want, we have plenty
our Elk And Deer Population show it,Bring all the tree huggers you want !!! The governer is thinking about opening season on them too???? I HOPE

God BLess ZEEK5793

Desertfox
February 1, 2007, 09:02 AM
Gee Zeek, um..... how do you really feel?

Yellowfin
February 1, 2007, 01:35 PM
What if the wolves were to eat the tree huggers? Be glad you have wolves instead of coyotes, which reproduce much faster and are not territorial.

Death from Afar
February 1, 2007, 08:49 PM
First Freedom- yes, I should have included the big reds. And Elk too. They would come about third I guess.

Roy- Only some. No doves ( shame), but quail and pheasents, and a quite limited season for them, only about three weeks which is a shame.

charlie in md
February 2, 2007, 05:09 PM
Whitetails are probably number 1. In a few counties, you can take an unlimited number of does during the season. In most eastern areas of the state, you can take 2 bucks and 10 does in each season (archery, shotgun, and black powder).

Waterfowl would be second, and small game a distant third.

One good thing about Maryland is that the basic license is only $24.50.

Old Time Hunter
February 3, 2007, 09:39 AM
By far and away, Whitetail Deer hunting in Wisconsin is the most popular. I would venture to say waterfowl hunting would be a distant second, followed by gang bangers down in the SE part of the state around Milwaukee (I do not participate in that year round open season hunt, don't speak the lingo.). In declining interest....field fowl, bear, small game.

Last year almost 800,000 residents purchased deer hunting licenses, another 100,000 from out of state.

Eric M.
February 3, 2007, 09:53 AM
In Minnesota:

Whitetail Deer
Ducks and Geese
Grouse and Pheasant

The Deer population is at record highs here, so I fill my freezer fast, and then hunt Ducks as much as I can.:)

Eric;)

Gbro
February 3, 2007, 10:13 AM
No question Deer is #1

2. Thunder Chickens(Grouse)

3. Would be Hare/Rabbit but we don't have a good DNR so the huggers have took over our management by protecting the woof, now the Lynx, along with owls and hawks.
I am not kidding about this. Last deer season (and i hunt reg. and muzzle) i saw 3 hare, I have a hunting shack far enough out to not have human activity except on weekends and last year no -0- hare seen going to from and at the shack, 3-4 years ago 1 ran out on dirt road and i slowed way down as i was so happy to see one, the rascal ran back out and under the truck. Call me a bunny hugger if you want, but i couldn't kill a hare now. They are just getting too hard to find.
I know that some areas have a fair population of them, but we used to also. Take 12-15 y ago, we could take a short drive and see 60-70 in an 1/2 hour.
Our gun club would have regular hunts for a rabbit feed, No more!
There thats off my chest. Thank you.

GBRO
CGVS

Blacktail_Slayer
February 13, 2007, 12:03 AM
Southwest Washington, I would say in popularity starting with most popular it would be Elk, Deer and Duck. From what I have seen and heard though cougar seems quite popular throughout the state.

sparkysteve
February 13, 2007, 08:40 PM
Michigan

1 Whitetail
2 Turkey
3 Black Bear
4 Waterfowl
5 All other critters
6 Fish

UMP
February 13, 2007, 10:37 PM
As far as Arkansas goes Deer hunting is the most popular. Even though modern gun season is only 3 weeks it is still popular. Duck season is equally as popular. Stuttgart Arkansas is known as one of the best places to hunt. Many celebrities including the governor of California come to duck hunt in AR. When I hunted a couple of years back in Stuttgart, I could literally point my gun in the air and a duck would drop. There were thousands of them.

Death from Afar
February 15, 2007, 12:21 AM
What are the seasons for varmints in the states? What is Arizona like for hunting? ( Planning a trip to your fine country next year)

FirstFreedom
February 15, 2007, 05:00 PM
Wouldn't huntin wolves be bending the law a tad bit?

USNairman
February 16, 2007, 08:12 AM
Indiana

Here is what I believe to be the most popular critters to hunt in Indiana.

1: Whitetail
2: Turkey
3: Squirrel
4: Duck
5: coyote
6: crow and other misc small critters

roy reali
February 16, 2007, 08:34 AM
Here in Nevada, certain varmints are open all year with no bag limits. In fact, you do not even need a hunting license for them.

rem33
February 16, 2007, 10:04 AM
What if the wolves were to eat the tree huggers? Be glad you have wolves instead of coyotes, which reproduce much faster and are not territorial

Yellowfin you don't understand, we have more than enough coyotes. Wolves are spreading over at least 3 states now and will the whole northwest if not checked.Our fish and game Dept's had IMO done a great job on the deer and elk herd's. Now in areas we are losing more than 90% of the elk calves to the wolf population. Wolfs have no natural enemies here, and game animal populations have been managed to where the wolf has so much food so easy for them to get food it's population is exploding.
If memory serves they released about 60 of them, with a target population of around 300. We now have in excess of 1200 and some estimates quite a bit higher and the hunting is beginning to suffer. I have heard in some areas game population are severely suffering.
I am a hunter not a wolf watcher. I live here and it irritates many here that because some one that lives hundreds if not thousands of miles away who will never see a wolf near their back yard, like I have, are responsible for our hunting being quickly ruined, just so they can know we have wolves in the lower 48.

We have environmentalists here like everywhere but the vast majority of the population is not happy with this wolf situation. No one in the last couple of years I have spoke with about it are in favor of them. The wolf has few friends here in Idaho IMO

redhawk41
February 17, 2007, 01:07 AM
Wouldn't huntin wolves be bending the law a tad bit?The federal government has begun the process of delisting the wolf:

"The cost to hunt a wolf once the animals are removed from federal protection will be $9.75 for Idaho residents, the same price as a tag to hunt bears and cougars, under a bill approved by a Senate committee on Wednesday."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/ID_XGR_WOLF_TAGS_IDOL-?SITE=IDBOI&SECTION=US&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2007-02-14-21-48-25

prime8
February 17, 2007, 06:42 PM
White tail
Turkey
Duck
Goose
Pheasant( If you can find em)
Rabbitt
Quail( Same as Pheasant)
Squirrell
And Elk (oh wait thats just in my dreams)lol......

L_Killkenny
February 18, 2007, 12:05 PM
By far #1 in Iowa is Pheasant. Go to any gas station on opening morning around 7 and the place is packed.

#2 is deer.

#3 is waterfowl.

#4 is more than likely predator hunting. Although it might be #3. Hard to go hunting and not see trucks driving all over after a snow. If you go to the sporting good stores right now the predator calls and hunting videos are almost sold out.

#5 = turkey. I refuse to try turkey hunting. All I hear from everyone is how adicting it is and I don't need another hobby. :)

LK

prime8
February 18, 2007, 05:11 PM
There arnt that many pheasants in this neck of the woods..... The guys that do hunt them, have to drive west, and maybe north a little.... In my oppinion Whitetail is the king. There are guys who live to duck hunt, but the majority of the people I talk to hunt deer and turkey, primarily..

aaalaska
March 15, 2007, 01:35 AM
spruce hen [ugh[ got any recoipes that don't taste like needles.

P-990
March 15, 2007, 10:32 AM
New Hampshire:

1) Whitetails. No question this is the most popular around here. Last year was a record season with a kill around 13,000 deer. (Nope, I didn't have one to add to that number! :( )

2) Probably turkey. It's $6 for a spring and a fall tag, and now we have a shotgun season in the fall here in the western part of the state (for another $11 "tag").

3) Pheasants, I'd have to guess. It's a stock and kill season around here, with no real wild populations. They tell me it gets worse every year, and I know the locals complain that most of the birds go to Massachusetts hunters who come up for opening weekend. (We open a week earlier IIRC and have no restrictions on residents/non-residents for the early season and Sundays are open too.)

Then there's black bear, grouse, coyote, squirrels, waterfowl and surely others I'm forgetting. Also popular is moose hunting, which is conducted through a lottery and permit system. $10 for a chance to draw, then $100 for a resident and $300 for a non-resident if drawn.

indybrad
March 15, 2007, 06:37 PM
whitetail deer
Turkey
small game(squirrel, rabbit)
waterfowl
coyote

aaalaska
March 16, 2007, 12:42 AM
good list moose fat but you skipped blacktail deer , sheep , goat ,elk , muskox, blue , ruff & sharptail grouse , coyote , , wolverine & I'm ,sure I missed some to.God I love this place