PDA

View Full Version : Gore-Tex Boots

roger1shot
January 23, 2007, 09:59 PM
Hey,
Last week I was out Muzzlerloader hunting in the rain.
First time to give the new boots a real test on how water proof they are.
They failed.
I was hunting from a area, that standing water was everywhere.
I'm I expecting too much from a Gore-Tex Rocky Rattler boot?
Or should I just get a pair of rubber boots?
Bas Pro said maybe I just got a bad pair,and did I want another pair?
But I'm getting my money back,on the boots.
So what's a good 100% water proof snake boot out their?
Was told by one person,that Academy has a good Gore -Tex snake boot.
Need ya'lls help.
What about the Danner Snake Boots?

ohen cepel
January 23, 2007, 10:17 PM
I love my Danners! Don't have the snake boots but the military type that they make. After 10 years of HARD use they now leak but I have retired them to minor use so I'm ok with that now.

When Gortex was just really hitting the market hard Danner was the only boot maker I'm aware of that made the internal sock wide if the boot was a wide size. If you have wide feet that might be the problem with your Rockies, the sock pulls apart at the seam and you get leakage.

Charles S
January 23, 2007, 11:04 PM
'm I expecting too much from a Gore-Tex Rocky Rattler boot?

No, I think they should be 100% water proof. I have had good luck with Rocky boots. I would not hesitate to suggest that you just got a bad pair. I would unhesitatingly recomend Rocky boots. I have a pair that is 13 years old.

You will not go wrong with Danner either.

rem33
January 23, 2007, 11:44 PM
I have some Danner 18000's I have worked in rain all day and another job in and out of a creek several days where my boots were wet all day and went home with dry feet. 10 inch boot not sure on snake proof, but what about snake chaps?
Danner also makes gortex lined boots not cheap but will last for years.
I have some Wesco's I didn't think would ever get wet but 6 hours in pouring rain on a motorcycle at freeway speeds proved me wrong.
I have glove leather lined, insulated Danners I wear riding in the cold, good boots.
Danners were 3 years old when I worked in the creek. Water was about 4 inches deep and had to walk thru in and out all day. Very good I thought.
All my boots get oiled or treated with Obenaufs leather oil.

Desertfox
January 24, 2007, 01:37 PM
Bad pair of Rockies is my guess. I have had great luck with Rockies and would recommend them also. No hesitation. Mine don't leak. Neither did my last two pairs until I wore them out in west and south Texas and got cactus, mesquite and locust needle holes.

You can return the Rockies for leaking and get another pair free.

Nothing usually wrong with Rockies. My hunting buddy uses Danner's and he swears by them. He has wide feet also (ex-football player) and is rough on boots. He buys a new pair every year. I do not.

SD_Chop
January 24, 2007, 01:46 PM
I have a pair of Rocky ProHunters and those those are great, everybit of 800gram insulation, waterproof, everything i paid for :D

FirstFreedom
January 24, 2007, 01:48 PM
No, you're not expecting too much. I've got Danner, Rocky, Redhead, and Irish Setter boots, and all of them are waterproof to a point - NONE of them are waterproof from the top however, when I step in the creek. :eek: P.S. You don't need Gore-tex to have a waterproof boot. Regular leather, stitched & sewed & designed right, is waterproof (but not breathable like gore-tex).

swampdog
January 24, 2007, 05:34 PM
I've got a pair of Rocky snake boots that's seven years old. They've never leaked but the sole is starting to come apart at the heel. I got my money's worth and would guess you just got a bad pair. I hunt in standing water all the time and have never had any problems.

Those Danner's look pretty nice. I'll probably be buying a pair soon, if my money is right. If I'm tight the next time I need a pair, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair of Rocky's.

Redneckrepairs
January 24, 2007, 05:50 PM
I have worn rockys , and danners for years , the latest pair is the " blizzard stalkers " from rocky they are 1200 gm thinsulate , and as far as cold goes i cannot tell if i am standing on ice for two to four hours or in my house . Waterproof , i donno yet since we have not thawed out yet . Either brand tho normaly surpasses any advertising , and if you fell short i would have to say you got a lemon .

22-rimfire
January 24, 2007, 06:31 PM
I believe all Gortex boots that claim to be water proof should not leak. I personally would wear a pair of LaCrosse rubber boots in the situation that you described where there is standing water everywhere. Expect too much? Probably not if they are new, but I still would not wear then in the environment you describe. That is rubber environment!

For me the waterproof gortex applies to occasional shallow stream or ditch crossings, walking in snow, and generally wet conditions (not standing in a swamp and expecting your feet to be dry for hours). Their guarantee, go for it.

phantom_890
January 24, 2007, 10:42 PM
I wear the standard issue Bellvue goretex boots both desert and black leather version and both seem to be %100 waterproof when stepping through standing water that doesn't come over the top of the boot. When wearing them in the rain however with bloused BDU's/ACU's they begin to have water come in through the pant legs and into the boots and the water that comes in stays in. When I take the boots off I can pour a large amount of water out the boot. Im sure this could be helped if pants weren't bloused into the boots.

BIGR
January 25, 2007, 06:54 AM
I have used Rocky boots with good sucess. I used a pair of Danner boots for about 6 or 7 years and i think maybe the gortex liner gave out one day. I shot an 11 point one evening and it started raining real hard. By the time I drug it out of the woods and skinned it my feet were soaked to the bone. Needless to say I only use those boots on dry days and I got another pair of Danners out of the box this year. Several years ago Cabelas had a sale on their Danner boots and I bought two sets of $159.00 per PR. boots for about $99 per pair. I thought it was agood deal at the time and scarfed them up. As far as a 100 percent waterproof boot a man might have to go to a rubber bottomed boot.

roger1shot
January 25, 2007, 10:18 PM
Well
After reading all the post,I've changed my mind.
I'm going to send the boots back to Bass Pro.
Talked to Bass Pro staff over the phone, and they are going to send me a label to send the boots back for free.
They sure stand behind what they sell.

roger1shot
January 25, 2007, 10:20 PM
O should have added:
And they are sending a new pair to replace one's I got.

SD_Chop
January 26, 2007, 12:16 AM
wow good deal roger1, glad to see you didnt lose hope in rockys

Death from Afar
January 26, 2007, 03:10 AM
Team, the problem with any boot that lets water out is it does let water in. I use Miedel combat boots (which I scored from a german chap in Afghanistan, nice) and "seal skin" socks. They cost the earth, but once you try them you will never go back. After 3 days, your feet get a bit nasty though.

Charles S
January 26, 2007, 08:29 AM
Good luck. I think the Rockys will work out for you.

piercfh
February 4, 2007, 11:40 AM
Get a pair of plain Lacross rubber boots too. I never bow hunt without rubber boots. They are the ultimate in scent controll. Pluss I leave them in my jeep all year in case I get stuck and need to get out. I wear vasque gore tex lace ups all the time, but when im deer hunting the rubber boots go on. They only cost like 40 or 50 bucks and last forever. My buddy just went to alaska and took my dads old pair that he has had for 20 years, because his newer neoprene boots were leaking on him.
For what they cost why not get some. You'll love em.

Charles S
February 4, 2007, 11:42 AM
piercfh,

The LaCrosse boots are one of the best investments I have ever made. Great boots.

22-rimfire
February 4, 2007, 12:05 PM
I just bought a new pair of Lacrosse rubber boots. Most are camo and although that is cool while hunting, I don't care much for the look any other time. Found 800gram insulated green rubber with the burly soles that I prefer and bought a pair. They will get used year around although the insulation may make them a tad warm in the warm months. I never liked the tread design on the uninsulated versions. I'll buy a pair of them too if they put a better tread design on them.

Glad that Bass Pro is taking them back. You might be expecting too much out of them though.