PDA

View Full Version : You are in unfamiliar country and are being tailed

Doug.38PR
January 23, 2007, 01:46 PM
Suppose you are driving across the state one night away from your home town on a back highway one evening. You notice a car behind is behaving suspiciously and seems to be following you. You discover that you have forgotten to pocket your cell phone. Since you are in unfamiliar country, you don't know where the nearest police station is. You do have at least your handgun packed on your person, so if you are pulled off the road or are followed to your destination, you do have a chance...but you obviously don't want it to get to that point. What do you do?

Speed up and try to lose them stopping at the first gas station or store you see?
Keep driving normally and pull into the first gas station or store you see?
Pull into a populated area like a walmart parkinglot if you happen to see it?

Some thoughts:
Speeding up, while it might be dangerous if they give chase, does give you the chance of escape AND will get a policeman's attention if he is hiding somewhere looking for speeders.
Pulling into a store or place where other people are is no guarantee of saving your life. People have been followed to those places before and were killed and robbed nevertheless.
Driving normally won't tip them to your having seen them, so they probably won't try anything until they see you are going to stop. It would give you more time to think of something.

Your thoughts:

Prophet
January 23, 2007, 01:51 PM
I would slow down to a dead creep and if they won't go around you then I'd burn them I'm not sure about your vehicle but they wouldn't catch mine and when I got far enough ahead I'd turn out my lights and pull onto a side road far enough they wouldn't see me and wait for them to pass. If all else fells then you still have your handgun for defense.

SundownRider
January 23, 2007, 01:53 PM
Keep driving as normal until the vehicle behind does something more than act suspicious. Pulling over to shoot it out is not an option because you don't know how many friends and what weapons they have brought to the party.
Accelerate slowly to determine if they plan on keeping up with you. At a cross highway, turn without using your signal to see if they follow, and if they do, drive to the nearest town and find the police station.

GalilARM
January 23, 2007, 03:50 PM
spin your car in a 180 and shoot at them through the windshield a la Die Hard 3........;)

I would probably turn on my flashers and slow to like 20 and pull partway off of the road. If they still dont go around you then I'd haul it to the closest town and try and find somewhere very well lit.

jfrey123
January 23, 2007, 03:51 PM
It's hard to tell if they're specifically following you, since it's a back country road, but I'd do the slow and let pass technique here... If they don't pass, then you better book it...

If you're comfortable with your auto at high speed, make a run for it. I personally never let the tank drop below half when traveling, so I would have enough fuel to get somewhere.

Beckerich
January 23, 2007, 04:09 PM
lean out the window and yell the five simple words that settle all disputes:

"I.Have. Anti. Personnel. Grenades."

Doug.38PR
January 23, 2007, 04:35 PM
Wish I had a video picture to post of my Rolling On The Floor Laughing!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!;) :D

Topthis
January 23, 2007, 04:39 PM
Um...yes, pull over at the first populated place I see.

Carlo
January 23, 2007, 05:18 PM
Hmm, no one follows me, it's likely the usual driver who would like to surpass me, or want me to go faster. I'll let him overtake me.

Carlo

T. O'Heir
January 24, 2007, 01:29 AM
"...a car behind is behaving suspiciously..." How does a car behave suspiciously?

dixierifleman
January 24, 2007, 01:44 AM
GalilArms, that was the 3rd Die Hard. Die Hard with a Vengeance.

sorry i just had to.

Blackwater OPS
January 24, 2007, 04:29 AM
I would drive normally. Unless he is a direct threat there is nothing else you can do. Letting him pass seems like a good idea, but assume he won't pass you if he is following you. If he wants he can follow me all night. If he does anything else, I would deal with it. If he follows me all the way to my destination, I would assume a gunfight is coming. Take cover behind your engine block and proceed with normal gunfight proceedures. :D

WeedWacker
January 24, 2007, 05:42 AM
Yeah slow driving to let him pass i s the best checker in this situation. If he doesn't pass drive th the city and either pull into a gas station/well lit area/paoice station. or start driving around one block again and again. Eventually they will realise that you figured them out and will give up. Either that or they just got bored or dizzy :p. Try not to gunfight it out since you can deter them while you still have gas.

If you stop at the gas station and they follow you, pull to the other street entrance and get back on the road if you want to double check if they are following you. Then pull back in, heave to the right to get your car between you and the follower and get behind your engine block and confront them with the gun still conceled but maybe palmed.

High speeds can be bad. If you panic and start running and get away, a policeman may pull you over and ticket you accordingly (if too fast you can lose your liscence for a while and the above maneuvers are better choices)

OuTcAsT
January 24, 2007, 09:07 AM
Keep driving at normal speed, obeying all traffic laws, until I get to my destination, get out of the car, go inside and take my lithium, and hope the paranoid delusions subside.

whip1
January 24, 2007, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure how a car acts suspiciously, but I'll play along. If the car does in fact have bad ideas, I do not want it in front of me. Assuming I left the smoke machine, and the oiler at home, I would engage the car armor, activate the homing rockets, and just continue to drive normally. If the car wants by, he can pass at the next passing zone. If the car passes you, and goes about his business, you're being paranoid. If he passes you, and tries to run you off of the road, or starts to slow, fire the homing rockets.

Charles S
January 24, 2007, 10:15 AM
Keep driving at normal speed, obeying all traffic laws, until I get to my destination, get out of the car, go inside and take my lithium, and hope the paranoid delusions subside.

LOL, that is great.

I will play along. If the individual does not press the issue you drive normally to a well lit populated area. A police station would be an ideal choice.

If the person following decides to press the issue, then you take advantage of your strengths. Know your vehicle and your capabilities.

Prophet, asserts his vehicle is fast enough that he can leave them behind. That is knowing his vehicle and his own capabilities.

I doubt seriously I could outrun any, but the slowest car with my Truck, but I can pull of of the road in places and keep going where a car cannot.

I seriously doubt it is a situation I will ever have to deal with. I have taken a tactical handguns class in which we shot, in around, and through cars. I learned a lot about what to do and what not to do around a vehicle, I also learned a lot about what a handgun, rifle, and shotgun can and can't do regarding penetration of a car body. Is this information I will ever use. No, but it was great fun, one of the most fun handgun classes I have ever taken.

Glenn E. Meyer
January 24, 2007, 10:25 AM
Pray that during this drive you don't to go Number #2 as that's when they will come for you.

I'm for the driving in the direction you want cautiously and then if getting to a public place, ditch the car right at the front door and run inside yelling CALL THE POLICE as you head for the back.

While Doug says folks have been killed stopping at a place - I'd like details of how that happened.

Unless it is a team of assassins - I find it hard to believe criminals just after your cash are going to pursue you.

whip1
January 24, 2007, 10:48 AM
While Doug says folks have been killed stopping at a place - I'd like details of how that happened.
About 10-12 years ago, a women was supposedly being followed. She pulled into the police station, was shot and killed, and the murder was never solved. The people in the station claim they never heard anything.

Glenn E. Meyer
January 24, 2007, 10:51 AM
In the station - outside? I'm always suspicious of stories that we don't have good sources for.

Was it a spouse? There is a world of difference between a dedicated killer vs. a crime for financial gain.

Doug.38PR
January 24, 2007, 11:12 AM
I don't have details or statistics from the internet, but I do remember hearing about 15 years ago of a woman who was being followed, went to a well lit gas station and was still followed in and killed.
I'll do a google search later today.

I'm not sure how a car acts suspiciously,

several people have ask this. Things like a car passes you, slows down when as it passes you. A couple of men look at you just to see who and what is in your car and continue to pass. 2 minutes later, you find yourself passing them and then they suddenly match your speed a 50-100 yards back. You speed up or speed down and they subtly match your speed.
Granted some these things per se happen frequently on the road (airheads that just don't drive consistantly, or want to shadow you because they think they can safely go 5 miles over the speed limit and not be seen by the police...as though the police would care.) but when all of these things come together at once, it might just cross your mind. It's just a matter of being aware of what is going on around you.

Beckerich
January 24, 2007, 11:13 AM
according to the new ATF report a car driving "suspiciously" or a "suspicious" car differs from where you are.

when in the north of ireland if you're driving a car with english plates in a catholic area a suspicious car is normally green, swerving on the road due to noted drunkness, and is waving some sort of Shaleleigh out the window.

in the southern states they say the car may be the colour of the confederate flag with " i brake for animals" on the bumper and may or may not have the passenger riding shotgun waving a bottle of XXXX moonshine out the window.

its good to know that we are all safe with the ATF publishing these fine reports. very similar to the FBI'S report in new york about how to look for a suicide bomber " he may have wires sticking out.... [ shoot any one with a walk man] he may be sweating... [ the obese population will be purged] and finally if u didnt fall into any of those categorys then dont worry, " he may be totally calm and polite."

In case you thought you had a chance to survive :D

whip1
January 24, 2007, 12:19 PM
I was a little off on my time frame. It happened in 1991. She was shot in the parking lot. It still hasn't been solved.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=742118&postcount=1

http://www.cantonrep.com/old_repsearch_detail.php?ID=4136

BillCA
January 24, 2007, 02:38 PM
Doug's scenario isn't all that far fetched.

I know.

Been there, done that, relieved it didn't end in a shooting.

Situtation: Returning from a trip to the L.A. area, driving north on California's Interstate 5. This is a straight, almost flat, boring interstate, 2-lanes in either direction, running north-south for most of California's length. Driving late in the evening, after dark.

Kidneys encounter the "recyle" stage and I have to hit a rest stop as the next known, "populated" exit is another 70 miles away. At the rest stop are numerous cars and people (about 18 cars and a couple of semi's). As I'm leaving I note a group of three younger men hanging around a 80's Ponitac with TA damage on the right side. I climb into the truck and pull out cautiously, then start to leave. After I passed the trio, I look back and notice them climbing into their car and quickly backing out.

After getting on the freeway I note their car hanging back about 200 yards (car had a left side turn/marker light out). I reviewed what I saw and noted 3 guys in a car with no obvious signs of luggage or "travelling stuff" in the car. I also remembered one wearing a "do-rag" on his head. Speed limit 70, I'm doing 55 mph and they're not passing. In fact, a pair of semi's passes us both in the first 6 miles or so. I slowly increase speed to 70 and they maintain their interval. None of this is actually out of place as I figure they're just following my tail lights.

After they mimic my passing slower traffic 5 times and just on a "spidey-sense" tingle, I decide to signal an exit at a stop that has a lone gas station visible. I signal well in advance and slow to 55 mph in the right lane. About 300 yards from the exit they signal their intent to exit (probably because of a semi coming up on 'em). I slow to 40 mph and they close in, looking committed to exiting. I wait until I'm on the ramp and then divert left, across the painted gore point, accellerating at full throttle back onto the highway. They have to brake hard to get behind the semi and they follow.

Radar contact - bandit at 6 o'clock.

A Dodge 4x4 is not a race car and doesn't get good gas mileage at 85-90mph. Slow down to 75 in the left lane and let them approach. Meanwhile, I've unzipped the luggage, extracted and loaded my S&W M57, putting it in my belt. I pass a semi who's doing about 65 and pull in front of him, slowing to match his speed and leave little room for them to use. They hang alongside the trailer, matching speed. Check cell phone - No Signal. :mad:

Trucker signals for left lane and they pull forward, pacing his tractor and generally ******* him off as I slow to 60 mph. Loud horn from diesel truck. Speed up to 65 again, then dive to shoulder and brake hard, letting truck and Pontiac fly by. :D Now I'm behind them and they don't like it. They take off at 90+. *whew*.

But they show up as a blacked out car on the next on-ramp and don't turn on their lights until they're about 1/4 mile behind me. Uh-oh.

Exit freeway at well known "fuel stop" that has fast food, motels and gas. I proceed into the first gas station (Shell) and pull towards the pumps nearest the building. They enter the lot and move slowly. Now I drive out the other side of the station, across the street into a Chevron station. They follow. I go around the station, back across the street noting them following. Go around the Shell station to the pump area. Thankfully the middle area is clear of cars. They follow and I pull around the far line of pumps, crank hard right and block the center pump area which they nicely entered. They stop and look. I'm standing behind engine block, staring at them. It's their move.

Passenger exits with aluminum baseball bat. Rear passenger exits holding a wooden bat. Both start to advance asking what my F'ing problem is. :eek: Quick glance around - No vehicles near line of fire. Cashier inside obliviously chatting with customer. Males clear front bumper of car now about 30 feet away. Present M57 over the hood. "Drop your weapons! Do it NOW!"

If I wasn't so keyed up the look on their faces would have been hysterical. They complied. "DRIVER! Toss the keys out the window! Do it NOW!" Got all three proned out on the concrete. Customer informed cashier who called PD. Nine minutes or an eternity later, California Highway Patrol shows up like a rolling Christmas tree.

I expected grief from CHP and was relieved it didn't happen. As soon as he exited his car w/shotgun, I put my M57 on the hood and held up my hands and yelled "Cover those guys! I'll do whatever you say." He asked about weapons (theirs), told me to stay at front of truck away from gun. He cuffed all three then retreived my gun and asked what was going on.

Idiot wanna-be tough-guy kids it turns out. Beer in car, bats (no ball or gloves), remains of a two joints in the rear ashtray. :rolleyes: Checked their wallets - a total of $12 between the three of 'em. One had a prior record for drug possession, the others were clean. Pressed assault charges against the two with the bats. DA charged driver with aiding & abetting assault. All plead no-contest.

FWIW, the CHP looked at the .41 Magnum rounds (silvertips) and said he'd never seen one. He showed these young guys the rounds and told them it could have sliced through both sides of the car easily. CHP officers (backup arrived) said I did all the right things to ensure they were after me and to give them a chance to break off. I was handed my gun and ammo back and told to secure them. LOTS of paperwork - a 1 hour delay on my trip. One officer said it wasn't hard to figure out -- a 50ish man holding three guys proned out at gunpoint isn't generally the criminal type.

Glenn E. Meyer
January 24, 2007, 02:54 PM
Eek - that's a story.

Anyway about the woman and the police, a line from the story said:

Jill Holzbach was the mother of a 4-year-old girl and her husband publicly announced he was a target of the investigation

That's one thing I was discussing - that's a bit different from the random folk.

Bill, why not ditch the car as I said by the door of the building and run inside screaming for help? Not criticizing but just suggesting. I don't know if I would act so cooly then.

Odd Job
January 24, 2007, 03:01 PM
@ BillCA

Good one, glad that turned out okay.

I too don't think the scenario is far-fetched. I have also been there and done that, but in my case the guys tailing me were the police.
I wrote about that in another thread (I think it was to do with hijackers).

mvpel
January 24, 2007, 03:24 PM
BillCA - JUDF, LFI, LEO, or other?

Pointer
January 24, 2007, 03:32 PM
I'd do the slow and let pass technique here... If they don't pass, then you better book it...

BUT book it in the opposite direction...
A very quick U-turn...
Then Book it... ;)

You don't know where you're going, but you do know where you've been... :)

stephen426
January 24, 2007, 05:32 PM
Oh boy... another Doug thread... :rolleyes: :p :D

First of all, glad it worked out for you Bill. Good job on staying alert and reacting properly.

I hate to admit it, but it is damn near impossible to follow me undetected. I am constantly checking my 6 in the rear view mirror (mostly for police :eek: ) because I generally drive pretty fast.

Miami was ranked #1 in road rage in the US. The drivers are pretty agressive and I would probably have to admit that ranking is not undeserved.

I was in some guy's blind spot and he began changing into my lane. I gave him a quick tap of the horn to let him know I was there. He swerved away and then forcefully sweved into my lane. Had I not jammed on the brakes, he would have slammed me into the concrete divider. My reaction was then to honk the horn at this idiot who then proceeded to slam on his brakes in front of me. I draw my gun not knowing what this idiot is thinking but do not show it. I then slow down and move 2 lanes over (on a 3 lane highway). He tracks my speed as I speed up or slow down. There was some traffic so I could not just floor it and dust him since a high speed chase would probably be more dangerous to myself and other motorists. I kept the gun at low ready just below my window pointing at his general direction. If he pointed a weapon, I would have fired. Lucky for me a car pulled in between us and I believe it was an off duty police officer. He told me to keep going and he pulled the guy over. In retrospect, I probably could have pretended to keep going straight and make a sudden exit since I was on the right lane. I'm really lucky he didn't go for a gun. If there was no traffic, I would have just left him in my dust. I also keep the Florida Highway Patrol number in my phone and will call and report agressive driving.

I also mentioned this on a previous post, but I work in the restaurant company. One of my restaurant managers was followed home and robbed at gun point. The same thing happened to my mother in law who has a restaurant too. If I suspect someone of following me and I am near my home, I would make a extra loop to make sure. Do not, under any circumstance just pull into your driveway since you do not know how many attackers you may have. I would probably call the police since the police respond super quick in my area and pick a point to "meet them".

BillCA
January 24, 2007, 08:14 PM
Glenn,

Bill, why not ditch the car as I said by the door of the building and run inside screaming for help? Not criticizing but just suggesting. I don't know if I would act so cooly then.

I had most of an hour to develop some kind of plan. Many went through my mind in that time. The main issue is that I had no idea why they picked me. I figured robbery & carjacking the most likely.

I thought about stopping at a restaurant or gas station and going inside for help. Then thought about the problems associated with getting a $5.75/hr clerk to call 911 and the time required to explain -- meanwhile the BGs walk in, try to do what they want and leave before the LEOs arrive.

I also didn't want to walk in to a situation where there were families with small children present if it turned ugly. The Shell station had a lull in business at the right time.

Hugh Jardonne
January 24, 2007, 10:06 PM
Happened to me in Hawaii when I was there on business from Korea a few months ago...

I decided to take a visit to the North Shore of Oahu. As I passed the area around Schofield Barracks, a car seemingly remained as I left the more populated area for the countryside. I also am one who "watches my six", and the guys in the car were black, it was mid-day (normal working hours), wearing what might be interpreted as gang related attire. As I had passed a US Army post, I took a mental note, but this also could mean that these were GIs on a day off. It also could mean they are bad guys, but thus far, no bad guy behavior.

As the traffic thinned I noticed that they tended to stay a car or two behind me... but they had obviously picked up that I was a rental car or something (I don't know how Hawaii marks its cars) and seemed to change lanes when I did, and again, as traffic thinned out, they were still there. After all the cars had turned off and it was only me left, they were still there.

I tried a few random turn offs, and they followed. Finally, I turned into a route into the nearest town, and the first place there was a park with a large parking area- with speed bumps. I turned in there. So did they. Game on.

As soon as I got into the parking lot, I made my way out, passing them going the other way. All heads in the vehicle turned to watch me go. I then made my way through some traffic lights and back on to a major highway, effectively losing them.

Since I was in Hawaii, and coming from a strict gun control nation, I was not carrying a firearm. That maneuver reinforced in me to never be unarmed again. If they had been serious about their hunting that day, with a little more motivation, they might well have robbed and or killed me.

ShortTimer
January 25, 2007, 05:12 AM
Had something like this happen to me in early 2005. It was while I was driving back to Camp LeJeune, NC, from Kansas at the end of Christmas or pre-deployment leave, and as I got to the strip of I80 that runs through Blue Ridge Mtns on the NC side, where it twists and turns - and there's no cell service. This was probably about 10AM-1PM timeframe.

Some average, 30something white guy with slightly balding black hair in a black mid-size Toyota or other import I wasn't familiar with was driving absent-mindedly. He was the kind of driver who slows down when no one is around, and then speeds up when someone tries to pass. I drove the speed limit, 55-70, depending on the curves and if it was the end of TN or not. He sped up with me as I tried to pass. At one point I ended up doing nearly 80 or so before deciding not to risk a ticket and slow back down. Then he'd drop down to 55 or even 45 or less... in 65 areas. I got around him once or twice when he was in his lull periods, and tried to pass semis, hoping he'd match their speed. Didn't happen. The guy stayed with me for some 20 minutes worth of twists and turns, finally deciding to stick to my rear bumper.

I wasn't going to risk a confrontation, so I signalled to take the first exit I saw in NC - some empty county road. He followed. Figuring he was done, and at his exit, I signalled quickly and got back on the interstate without having to go down the ramp. He did the same. I figured "okay, maybe he just was blindly following me and zoned out - he does drive like an idiot". So I tried to take the next exit, another empty county road. Signalled and left, went down to a stop sign. He followed. Again. I did a California roll through the stop and went right back up onto the interstate. There ended up being a car going by the other way as he tried to roll the stop sign, and I got to put some distance between me and him. He followed me back up to the interstate. At this point, with some distance, I floored it and took the next exit, which happened to be the first exit with a few gas stations and a restaurant or so. I headed down the road as fast as was safe and stopped at the most crowded station I could find, went in and waited.

I had a firearm with me, locked and unloaded in the trunk. If I hadn't come to a town and the guy continued to follow me and act threatening, if I didn't get cell service on another exit, I planned on pulling over, popping the trunk and pretending to dig for a tire iron, and playing dumb, pretending the guy was trying to let me know about a flat. If the guy rolled up to "give me a piece of his mind" or do something stupid or threatening, I figured I'd have enough time to load the gun and then deal with the situation. I don't remember if it was Christmas leave or pre-deployment leave, but either way I was about a month away from going back to Iraq. I figured I'd tell the authorities the guy had seen my DOD sticker, my haircut, and the Marine stickers on my car and was probably planning to kill me to get on-base, that the guy was probably a terrorist, and to call the DHS. Still, calling the highway patrol and taking a detainee before I got in-country with an M-44 Mosin-Nagant would've been about the most absurd thing that could've fallen on my 1st Sgt's desk.

I probably would have handled the situation the same if I had a pistol available. If I had been totally unarmed I probably would've felt a lot less comfortable, and may have ended up speeding just to get the highway patrol's attention. The incident sure upped my SA in the civilian world, though.

Socrates
January 25, 2007, 06:44 AM
Bill:
Did you have a permit for the gun, and, if so, how did you get it?

Someone ought to link to the H&K guy that was tailed, shot at, by some meth gang guys, to his factory, confronted, and defended himself, with a machine gun, and, the 200 grand in lawyers fees, thanks to a slimball DA.

Had a reloading friend from Santa Cruz, and hunting buddy.
He and his friend were headed to Tahoe for deer. Guy in a Porsche went into psycho tailing them, in their truck, not going around, getting very close, and not going by.
Guy pulled up next to them, and my friend pulled, and cycled his 1911, and swears the ejecting bullet hit the S cars windshield. Whatever, the guy decided it was a wise time to take a VERY fast right turn, and exit the freeway.

They got their deer.

S

Blackwater OPS
January 25, 2007, 07:12 AM
Bill:
Did you have a permit for the gun, and, if so, how did you get it?
Sounds to me like he had the gun unloaded and in a locked container, no permit needed for that.

Socrates
January 25, 2007, 07:57 AM
Thanks.
Looks like you're right. Still, in Kali, anything can happen...
Still, maybe better off carrying a hunting gun, in that situation, then a semi-auto plastic gun...

S

stephen426
January 25, 2007, 09:59 AM
I've heard this video is fake but its still pretty good. It does contain profanity so consider yourselves warned. This the video "Two rednecks mess with the wrong guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh2Jed20wLk)"

Anon
January 25, 2007, 11:36 AM
stephen, yes, that video is completely staged.

As for the original question.... every time I look in my rear-view mirror, there seems to be cars behind me. Up until now I assumed they were all just people using the same roads as me. :rolleyes:

mikejonestkd
January 25, 2007, 11:46 AM
>>>As for the original question.... every time I look in my rear-view mirror, there seems to be cars behind me. Up until now I assumed they were all just people using the same roads as me.

They ARE following YOU!!! ;)

Battle stations!!! Man the torpedo tubes and prepare for silent running!!! :D

On a serious note, there are lots of lowlifes out there that wil follow you, either just for kicks to bother you, or with more serious intent. It is a good idea to pay attention to your surroundings and have a decent idea of what to do before it happens. I've seen road rage gone bad more than a few times and getting to safety and calling the police should be first on your list.

markj
January 25, 2007, 04:43 PM
every time I look in my rear-view mirror, there seems to be cars behind me

I have the same problem, I thought all this time it was folks driving home from work but now I think they are out to get me so I mounted a M60 to the trunk wit ha continous belt feed with 10,000 rounds of ammo in the trunk :) tonite I get even :) no one follows me anymore :) after tonite.

Now how do I get those durn voices to shut the hell up?

Actually I ride a motorcycle most of the time so if I suspect anyone is following me :) I take em on a ride they will never forget :) too bad none of them ever followed me into 120 mph land :)

BillCA
January 25, 2007, 10:01 PM
Bill: Did you have a permit for the gun, and, if so, how did you get it?

Nope, no permit required. Since I'd driven to LA-LA land I slipped it into my carry-on luggage bag in one compartment and put the speedloaders in another. The gun compartment was locked with a small luggage padlock. That pays service to the requirement of transporting the gun in a secure container that is locked via a combination lock. Some smarta$$ cop or DA may argue that a carry-on flight bag isn't a "secure container", but then he has to explain why a locking "gun rug" is okay.

And yes... I did remember to take it out of the carry-on before my flight the following week. I wouldn't want to try to explain that! :eek:

Hugh Jardonne
January 25, 2007, 10:22 PM
The key is, of course there will always be people "following" behind you... the ones to watch out for are the ones which are obviously setting up to do something bad. They usually stand out after awhile. Some stand out right away.

The things which tipped me off that something wasn't right in my example:

1) A group of guys, during normal working hours (not during lunchtime) who didn't appear to be natives of the area,

2) who were dressed in a way to indicate that they weren't going to/coming from work (gang related attire),

3) one of whom appeared to be drinking (I forgot about that in my original description),

4) Car followed me through populated area, and as I slowed down to allow him to go around he kept dropping back to stay on my tail and try to remain low key behind remaining cars behind me

5) Car stayed with me after all other cars had left- I slowed down, played with my radio, and made it easy for him to pass- he continued to follow

6) Car stayed with me on random turn offs

7) When I made my final turn off and was able to lose them in a parking area with speed bumps, as I turned out of the lot and passed by them, the whole group watched me go the other way. By that time we were back in civilization.

My BG radar went off when I saw 1), 2), and 3). Everything else just confirmed that my BG radar was calibrated!

stephen426
January 27, 2007, 11:56 AM
As for the original question.... every time I look in my rear-view mirror, there seems to be cars behind me. Up until now I assumed they were all just people using the same roads as me.

Anon,

Maybe you just haven't run into these kinds of situations or you don't work in a business where people will scope you out and then follow you. It could also be that you live in an area where crime is lower. Do not, for a second, believe that these kinds of things do not occur because that is when you will be caught with your pants down. Like I posted earlier, one of my store managers and my mother-in-law were both followed home and robbed at gun point. Had they been younger and more appealing to the robbers, who knows what else may have happened to them. I'm not advocating paranoia, just a healthy level of situational awareness.

Vince13
January 27, 2007, 06:27 PM
Warning shots.

Blackwater OPS
January 27, 2007, 08:02 PM
Warning shots.:eek:

Are a terrible, stupid, STUPID, idea. Please tell me that's what you meant.

Beckerich
January 28, 2007, 08:48 AM
how can he get his warning shots and i dont get my anti personnel grenades?

its just not fair :(

Vince13
January 28, 2007, 11:00 AM
I'm sorry, I meant to say "shoot out his tires and laugh when he drives off the road", is that right?

Capt Charlie
January 28, 2007, 01:06 PM
This has devolved into just plain silliness.

Here's a tip for some of our newer members: TFL is about responsible firearms ownership, and Tactics and Training is about serious tactics and training. While we're not above a little humor, those who find it necessary to post in a silly or irresponsible manner will most likely find themselves on the outside looking in.

Closed.