PDA

View Full Version : Hog Hunt... for your life!

Ian2005
January 22, 2007, 04:33 PM
ok I just got this reply back from an Outfitter, I'll pass on the name if you really want to know but Im almost about to call B.S. as this is just stupidity:

DOGS AND KNIVES : $250 (Call for Special Pricing Options)
This is one of the most exciting ways to hunt that you can imagine!! We turnout "Strike Dogs" that cast around for hog scent, and when they find a hot trail they chase down the hog and bring it to "Bay"! We then turnout the specially trained "Catch Dogs" that rush in and latch onto the hog distracting it while you move in with a knife to administer the coup de grace! This hunt is not for the feint of heart, we catch HUGE BOARS that weigh up to 500lbs with long sharp tusks!! These massive boars mean business and are not in the best mood when you arrive!! We also catch lots of hogs in the 50-150lb range that are no less exciting, and make great table fair. Commonly we will jump a large heard of pigs and the dogs will catch several in quick succession making for several kills and heart pounding action in a few short minutes. These hunts commonly take place at night, and your adrenal gland will be working over time as you move through the brush towards the sound of the fight not knowing what size hog awaits you. We usually start at 8:00 pm and go until late at night or when the guides decide that the dogs are too tired.

Thoughts? Perhaps I need more hair on my chest....:p

dixierifleman
January 22, 2007, 04:43 PM
whats BS about that? we do here all the time. we usually try to keep them alive but if a dog gets cut, or its too big to handle. we stick it in the heart. if its too big for that. out comes my Mossy 500 Persuader with pistol grip and slugs. let me tell you, theres nothin more excitin then havin the dogs dart off into the woods and a minute later you hear the barkin from the dog and gruntin and squealin from the hogs. this is a good and accurate quote from the article:your adrenal gland will be working over time as you move through the brush towards the sound of the fight not knowing what size hog awaits you. however most smaller pigs squeal and the monsters will grunt.

Eghad
January 22, 2007, 05:08 PM
Sounds like an unfair fight....should just use the knife and go without the dogs. :eek: Here in Texas if the hogs hear we are knife hunting we just have to give the hog directions to the field cleaning site. They go there lay down and die before we get there. ;)

dixierifleman
January 22, 2007, 05:13 PM
you ever try to find and run down a hog in thick woods? if not, then let me tell you, the dogs even the playin field.

Pointer
January 22, 2007, 05:58 PM
I have friends who do this kind of hog hunt...

They use very expensive long-knives and jump on their backs and cut the pigs throats...

Two of these friends are retired special warfare types... a Navy Seal and a Green Beret.

It is for real... :eek:

smiljko
January 22, 2007, 07:11 PM
Nothing like pig hunting with dogs...:)

trooper3385
January 22, 2007, 10:53 PM
In the little hick town in south Texas that I'm in, half the people over here hunt hogs that way. They have huge dog boxes in the back of there truck and put the pig on top of it and drive around after they kill one. I've been asked to go numerous times, but never have. I've seen the video's though. I'll stick with sitting a couple of hundred yards away and pick them off.

Jseime
January 23, 2007, 12:53 AM
.325 WSM if I ever go on a hog hunt i want em dead no i want em DEAD when i get there.

john in jax
January 23, 2007, 11:00 AM
Actually saw that guy Trad or Tred Barta (sp? - the guy who hunts with his homemade long bow and stone broadheads most of the time) do it on the OLN channel. It seemed to take the dogs forever to run down and finally "catch" the hog in a ditch. Tred could hardly stand (too much running) by the time they caught up with the dogs and he had to stick the pig 2 or 3 times.

Tred was gasping for breath, looked like he was about to fall over dead from a heart attack, and 2 or three of the dogs had obvious wounds/gashes.

Didn't strike me as a very humane way to dispatch an animal.

buck460XVR
January 24, 2007, 12:13 AM
more fodder for anti-hunters and animal rights people. Parading around town with dead animals on top of the truck for all the world to see. That's the kinda stuff that will make us hunters and sportsmen extinct. We may be a majority here on this forum, but we're a tiny minority in the country as a whole, and flaunting these type of hunts with prolonged and inhumane dispachment in the faces of our advisaries is asking for trouble...........

76-bronco-J
January 24, 2007, 08:53 PM
----on the last reply,,,, here in texas I believe ferel hogs supposedly caused damage to crops & land in general in the 52 million dollar a year range ,,,,out in rochester,tx. where I hunt them with the locals the hogs favorite food seems to be the peanuts ,,,,so ask all the PETA whiners & vegetarians if they like there trail mix or the rest of things that grow that end up at the grocery store,,,I also like to point out how cruel of a life most of the livestock led before in hit the shelves for them to easily purchase, I've never hunted with the knives ,but throwing the dogs out the suburban & letting one grab a ear while the others on the tailend then tyin' up a big ole sow has been done & it was crazy enough so I don't know if I'd play with a boar that close without my shotgun,,,,,below is a picture of smokey the pet ferel hog or atleast he used to be wild

buck460XVR
January 24, 2007, 09:50 PM
76-bronco-J.........You don't have to convince me of the benefits of hunting, I'm on your side. I don't necessarily think that stickin' a pig with a knife while half a dozen kill dogs rip him apart at the same time is sporting and humane, but that's just my opinion. What concerns me is the negative image it portrays not to the anti hunters(they can only see their point anyway) but to the majority of Americans who are neutral to hunting.......we don't need to turn anymore of them against us. We as hunters and sportsmen need to display a positive image to keep the neutrals and the undecided unconcerned to protect our right to hunt. Believe me bro, the minute the anti's have more numbers than us.......we're extinct.

TheJimmies
January 24, 2007, 11:15 PM
I agree, I think us hunters need to also make them realize that its us who are making the biggest impact on conservation. You'd be surprized to know how many neutrol people think we're hypocrates. Its too bad that anyone can find support to anything they WANT to hear.

roger1shot
January 25, 2007, 10:41 PM
Yep,
I also know some guys who hunt hogs with dogs.
But once the catch the hog,they go in and tie the hog up by the
the hind legs.
Then they make the hog walk on the front legs,back to the cage on the trucks.
Then they turn the hog loose and fatten them up,with corn,at home.
I told them no way,would I try this.
I've grown to like my fingers and legs,and didn't feel like takeing a chance
that they might become eaten by a hog.

dixierifleman
January 25, 2007, 10:51 PM
ive only gotten bit on the leg by one. it had about 3/4" inch cutters. not sure if the teeth made me bleed or the cutters. probly both. out of many,many,many hunts, thats the only time one got me.

whiskey
January 28, 2007, 10:34 AM
more fodder for anti-hunters and animal rights people. Parading around town with dead animals on top of the truck for all the world to see. That's the kinda stuff that will make us hunters and sportsmen extinct. We may be a majority here on this forum, but we're a tiny minority in the country as a whole, and flaunting these type of hunts with prolonged and inhumane dispachment in the faces of our advisaries is asking for trouble...........

They are not doing this in San Francisco or New York City, they are doing this in a "small TEXAS hick town". Maybe you have never lived in one of these towns, but there is little threat of running into some of those anti-hunter types.

gnut
January 28, 2007, 12:12 PM
Eghads post. Thats bs.

Death from Afar
January 31, 2007, 02:00 AM
Great fun. A hard mans sport to be sure, I have tried it a few times. Ever see that Anthony Bordain "no reservations" when he was in NZ? He went out pig sticking with some of my mates. Enjoyed it too.

buck460XVR
January 31, 2007, 02:57 PM
They are not doing this in San Francisco or New York City, they are doing this in a "small TEXAS hick town". Maybe you have never lived in one of these towns, but there is little threat of running into some of those anti-hunter types

Whiskey.............I live in a small hick town in Wisconsin where hunting traditions go as deep or even deeper than in Texas.(much less Florida). Being subtle about hunting is something we teach in Hunters saftey classes for the exact reasons I stated. It aint the locals that are gonna make the anti-hunting noise, it's the treehuggers from the cities and even out of state that read articles like that in the papers or see it here on the internet that will make it their cause . Many of these will travel many miles and spend lots of their own money for their self righteous cause, and because they are generally more prepared than those who think this can and will never happen to us, they tend to make an impact. Again I'm a hunter who enjoys to hunt and would like it to continue as is, but I'm intelligent enough to realize that making an open display of brutal and inhumane ways of harvesting wild game is not doing ANYTHING positive for our sport. Just as news of steroid and performance enhancing drugs have turned even non sport enthusiasts against athletes, parading around town with dead animals strapped to the car and advertisements of stabbing pigs while being eaten alive by kill dogs will only turn those who are now indifferent to hunting against us.

Believe it or not, the fact is, hunters are the minority in the general population in virtually every state in the union.....and our methods of hunting are governend by the majority of non-hunters. Think about it.

Pointer
February 1, 2007, 02:31 AM
2 or three of the dogs had obvious wounds/gashes.

That's the great misery in Hog hunting... They rarely get through a successful hunt without getting cut up "pooty good"... :(
Eghads post. Thats bs.
Duhhhhh! :rolleyes:

Yellowfin
February 1, 2007, 04:52 PM
No thanks for this kind of hunting...erm, I mean wrestling...erm, I mean negligent attempt at getting all forms of hunting banned due to poor calculation of consequences as eloquently stated above. I don't think my life insurance covers it. I'd rather stick to my worst possible outcome of hunting being a hernia from dragging too heavy a deer back or misplacing my bookmark in the stand in the dark if I don't see anything that day. Maybe I'm a wimp, blah, whatever, but I just don't like that large an invitation for possible negative outcomes: exactly ONE party should face the possibility of becoming lunch, and that should always be that with four feet and NO OTHER.

piercfh
February 2, 2007, 08:18 PM
I have seen an old coon hunter (who also hunt pigs) step on a pigs head and bend over with an old timer folding knife and slit their throat. It didnt seem like that big of a deal at the time, but it does sound cool. When you have some good dogs on your side there isnt much too it. Its alot of fun though, and extremily effective for getting rid of hogs.