PDA

View Full Version : September First

roy reali
January 20, 2007, 02:06 PM
I have noticed that hunting seasons' start and stop dates are usually different in each state. I also see that different species have different dates too. As far as I can tell, dove season opens on the first of September everywhere.

Is there a state that has a different openning day for dove season?

If all states do have September 1 as the start of dove season, does anyone know why? Any good theories?

BillyInPa
January 20, 2007, 06:16 PM
that's an interesting observation,if in fact most states start the season on this date it would be nice to know why. Surprisingly I just took several quick glances through the Pa Hunting & Trapping digest and didn't find doves mentioned at all. I always thought it was in the digest,maybe I missed it.

Bill

roy reali
January 20, 2007, 06:45 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Dove season openning day has always made me wonder why. I can not think of any other game seasons that are so synchronized across the country. I have wondered if there is a biological reason or if that just sounds like a good day to start a hunting season.

tarheel101
January 20, 2007, 08:19 PM
The dove is federally protected (migratory) and the feds set the seasons and so forth on them. I don't know why I know this or where I heard it from so don't take this for gospel but I seem to have been told this a long time ago.

Cheers,
Tarheel

auburnboattail
January 20, 2007, 08:27 PM
Tarheel is correct , doves are considered migratory game birds and fall under the jurisdiction of th US Fish and Wildlife Service. In cooperation with the states they set the season dates

Greybeard
January 20, 2007, 09:07 PM
"north" and "central" zones in tejas are indeed Sept. 1. But "south zone" in 2006 did open until Sept. 22 ...