PDA

View Full Version : anybody have anyluck during the pa flintlock season?

remjeep75
January 15, 2007, 04:22 PM
anybody have anyluck during the pa flintlock season?

dustoff
January 15, 2007, 04:57 PM
I saw one Doe the entire flintlock season. This whole year has been horrible. I am in WMU 2C and as far as I can tell the number of deer here continually gets worse. Every year I see less deer in the woods. If you ask me PA hunting is in trouble and soon the game commision might find themselves loosing even more funding as I know of at least a dozen hunters who have stopped hunting in the past 3 years. As deer numbers continue to decrease more and more people will begin to feel it is no longer worth the license fees.

Brian429
January 15, 2007, 06:31 PM
I missed a doe on the first day of the season....she was about40-45 yards away, I think I pulled it right over her back. She just stood there, after a lot of four letter words I went up and checked for blood, nothing. I didn't even bother to go out when it was in the 60's...I hate hunting in real warm weather. I only saw a couple of deer the rest of the season, nothing within range.

remjeep75
January 16, 2007, 01:21 PM
2c what county is that in? i hunt in 4a. i did see a good bit of deer, just nothing that presented a shot. Although during rifle season i did see a good many bucks in my area and some really nice ones at the butcher shop.

dustoff
January 16, 2007, 03:36 PM
The section of 2C I hunt in is Northern Somerset county and some of Cambria County. Around the Johnstown Area and out toward Davidsville. The rifle season was not a complete bust as I did take a doe and I missed a nice buck. He was a good distance off and my bullet hit a small branch about ten yards from him. Those where the only two deer I saw though during the rifle season. The early muzloader season wasn't much better although I did see a couple doe, I didn't see half as many as I used to. I'm glad your seeing deer over in 4A at least that leaves me some hope that maybe it is just a low in my area and it will soon rebound. My neighbor was complaining the other day that he didn't see any deer during rifle season and he only saw one doe during flintlock. He has told me that he probably won't hunt next year. As he put it he is "getting to old to sit in the woods all day and see nothing but the birds." I hope I never get so old I can't enjoy just being out there.

skipxxx
January 31, 2007, 02:12 AM
I left Pennsylvania 30 plus years ago and after reading these posts I can see why. You guys have got to be knuckleheads right? How can someone say no dear and I shot at a doe in the same sentence. In case you never went to school; when you shoot a doe, guess what, no more deer!!!! Please don't vote!!

remjeep75
January 31, 2007, 10:06 AM
skipxxx, give the guy a break, reread the post, he is talking about 2 diffrent seasons, rifle and flintlock. o yea and its spelled deer not dear.

dustoff
January 31, 2007, 02:17 PM
Skip, I went to school and I need to tell you that me taking one doe in the last 5 years is not killing off the deer population. I shot a doe on the last day of the rifle season at 4pm. I did not want to shoot a doe but it was the last opportunity I had to take a deer home. I have a 4 year old son who gets extremely excited when I bring back something from the field. He also gets extremely disapointed when I do not. When I saw the doe I shot it more for his pleasure than mine. And I must tell you after he helped me cook and eat some backstrap that night I can honestly say I am glad I shot it. His excitement about hunting and fishing is something I love to see and I know that by taking that doe and sharing my experiences with him I am ensuring that my son will be an active outdoors man. By the way the little man can already out fish his dad, I can't wait till he's old enough to take hunting.

The Gamemaster
January 31, 2007, 05:14 PM
I hunted every day of the rifle season, ,morning till dark and didn't see a buck all of hunting season. I hunted 2D and 2F

I saw 2 doe's the first day of rifle season and couldn't get a shot because it was so warm outside that there was no snow. The second day they came back and I still didn't shoot. I didn't see another deer until the first Saturday when they came back to my treestand and I missed - shot over it's head. Went to another location and missed 5 deer that were running towards me 50 yards away.

Hunted all the second week and didn't see a deer - standing until the day that it snowed. It was next to a house.

The last Friday, I shot one of the deer that I shot at the week before in the same place - and it had a small wound on the bottom of it's left front leg. Another person shot a deer across the road from me and it was hit in the butt.

The last day I got my bonus doe and didn't bother to hunt after that - even though I still had a buck tag.

Out of 6 hunters we shot 1 buck and 5 doe's. We had 15 tags!

Muzzle loader season was a total bust. There was deer along the road, but none in the woods.. The weather was so crappy that it wasn't even worth going out. The deer was so over hunted in my area that they were almost non existent. People were so greedy that they shot doe's the first day of rifle season at 7 AM in the morning like as if they were not going to see another deer the rest of their lives.

It will only be a matter of time before there will be no more deer in Pennsylvania - except in a zoo and on private land!

Fremmer
January 31, 2007, 05:57 PM
I was in Connellsville (sp?) for New Year's eve. My first time in Pa. As I was driving through the area, I kept thinking about how there must be a million deer around -- lots of timber and thick brush. It seems like the perfect environment for deer.

Pa is a nice State. The people were nice. :)

BUGS BUNNY
February 1, 2007, 02:19 AM
I have hunted in N Central Pa since 1979 and yes things are getting worse..

Management isnt considering you get some inconsiderate people who take advantage to the point the deer are almost gone..

I have 80 acres my bordering buddy has 350+ and the population is way down, i took a small 8pt on opening day of rifle so i didnt go out with the muzzleloader being conservative.
My two teenage sons who i am trying to keep interested, but it is hard to do when they see little, meanwhile the @#$% that live on the 100ft x 100ft are killing everything that moves, 2 seasons in a row we had Doe tags we didnt use being conservative and my buddy gets everyone he can just to keep others from getting the tags, again he don't even use them.

Pa hunting has gone down the tubes in my area for sure..

Sorry i ran off the subject, my pa pellet sat in the case this year unfired.

Yellowfin
February 1, 2007, 02:19 PM
Might I inquire as to what the problem with the deer population is in PA? I might be moving there in a couple of years. No way would I imagine it is too many hunters...or at least not from the people I know there. Too little land? Insufficient planting?

dustoff
February 2, 2007, 02:01 PM
The problem with the deer population here is that it keeps getting smaller. I think overhunting is a big part of the problem. Many areas have been targeted by the PGC as having to large of a population and so they increased the number of doe tags being sold. The problem is that they did to good of a job decreasing the population. Also poaching is a huge problem in my area. The PGC is asking (like they do every year) for a rise in the cost of hunting licenses. They used sportsmen to kill off the deer then want to charge us more to hunt the small population that is left. I try not to take doe because I don't want to be part of the problem (I know-I took one this year:rolleyes: ). Soon the population will be so small that the only way to not be part of the problem would be to not hunt. These are sad times in PA :( .