PDA

View Full Version : coyote hunting

zpurdy
January 10, 2007, 02:27 PM
i'm thinking about trying to go coyote hunting here in a couple of weeks and was wondering as to what rifles are good for yote hunting, i have a .22 and was wondering if the .30-30 would be too big. my shots are limited to 150 yards at the most, maybe 200.

BILLDAVE
January 10, 2007, 02:41 PM
I think a .22 might be little lite. Enless you are a crack shot I would go with the 30-30.

hoghunting
January 10, 2007, 03:55 PM
Unless you plan on saving the hide, don't worry about any cartridge being too big for coyote. I use the same rifle on coyotes that I hunt with for deer and hogs - a 300 WSM.

Jseime
January 11, 2007, 12:45 PM
There is no way you can shoot a coyote with a gun too big. I hate them critters. Use your .30-30 the .22lr. is too small.

zpurdy
January 11, 2007, 03:50 PM
apparently i need to get another call because my grandma misplaced my electronic coyote call and i havent been able to find it, what would be a good call to use, anything under 15 dollars is what i'm looking for, i have a squirell call with the squirell in distress or something like that, would this work.

Jseime
January 11, 2007, 06:14 PM
Suirrel in distress would work.

I have a knight and hale predator call that has one call and reeds for cottontail, jackrabbit and a squeaker. I use just the jackrabbit and it drives em nuts. I think it cost about 12 bucks. just go to a good hunting shop and youll get something for 15 or less that will work just fine.

hpg
January 11, 2007, 08:11 PM
22LR or 22Mag are too small for a coyote. If all you have is the 30-30 then use it. You will only get one shot anyway, so make it count.....hpg

Jseime
January 15, 2007, 06:25 PM
I was out on the weekend and called one in to about 250-300 yards and i was trying to get em in closer. He stayed out cuz he apparently noticed what was going on. I caught him at about 325 and started shooting. I got four rounds all within about a foot of him at a dead run but couldnt tag him.

I think that if you are using the .30-30 youll have to get into a call location that doesnt offer much open long area because they will make you out and stop coming. Given the trajectory of that .30-30 compared to my .270 youll have to get much much closer than I for a clean hit.

zpurdy
January 15, 2007, 07:42 PM
well i went squirrel hunting today and looking for a coyote hunting spot and couldn't find a spot like i described in my first post, but the spots i did find are only limited to 75 or maybe 100 yard shots.
i also tried using my squirrel in distress call to see what happened and all i got was a bunch of dogs barking from the all around, but i know the coyotes heard it cuz i was on top of the ridge and pretty far away from the houses.

Jseime
January 15, 2007, 09:09 PM
If the dogs heard you and started barking the coyotes may have been scared off. They usually lay pretty low around dogs. You might need to get into an area that is more remote to get coyotes. At home they are pretty anti-social especially when they have 110 grain bullets zipping past at supersonic speeds.

hinkleid
January 28, 2007, 11:26 AM
I used a 7 mag as that is the only rifle I have other than a 22lr. I handload so the cost of shooting is reasonable.
I went out yesterday to an area with alot of coyotes. Friend and I called several in and took 1 around 300 yds. Another a tad further.
I loaded up a round using 120 grain Sierra SP bullets moving along pretty quickly (3,000 fps+). Fun little round to shoot from the 7 mag.

robc
January 28, 2007, 11:31 AM
I don't recall seeing 30-30 in anything other than a lever gun. And, one of the lever guns it comes in won't wear a scope (the Win. 94 IIRC). This just seems like a really awkward round to hunt yotes with. I guess lots of people hunt them with shotguns. I've never been able to get close enough for that. Anybody who can is a ninja.

Foxman
January 28, 2007, 01:08 PM
I would agree the 30-30 isnt going to get you may yotes. Maybe you could upgrade the 22 to a 204 ruger or the 223, plenty of good cheap ammo for the 223 and that will get the job done beyond 200yds. 17 hmr is good for just over the 100yds but not much beyond on yote size critters.

skeeter1
January 28, 2007, 05:41 PM
the 223, plenty of good cheap ammo for the 223 and that will get the job done beyond 200yds.

Yep, that would be my first choice, too.

zpurdy
January 28, 2007, 10:26 PM
"I don't recall seeing 30-30 in anything other than a lever gun. And, one of the lever guns it comes in won't wear a scope (the Win. 94 IIRC). This just seems like a really awkward round to hunt yotes with. I guess lots of people hunt them with shotguns. I've never been able to get close enough for that. Anybody who can is a ninja."

yeah, i've got the marlin 336A lever action with a small scope, and my grandpa has the Win. 94 with a marlin scope on it

i don't really have to choice to hunt them with any other gun beside the .22LR and Rem. 1187 12Ga. and Rem. 7mm mag with 150 grain loads, these are the only guns i have
the area i will be hunting them is 100 yard shots at the most and not too much further if possible.

Night Howler
January 28, 2007, 11:33 PM
first , get a yote buster call made by elk inc. second I have never seen a coyote lay low when dogs are around they are very protective of their country and will come after dogs. We use them to bring them in. I would use a shot gun out to 60 yards. Get the wind right. when you see them go to the call quieter. I see someone posted they "shot at one" we shoot them here not at them. Dont educate them , they will educate the rest.

zpurdy
January 29, 2007, 03:33 PM
i'm pretty sure i'll be going out and giving it a try this weekend, i know they don't mind the dogs because i've seen them come off the hills and within 50 yards of the house and dogs barking in the middle of the day out here, and they stalk the new calves we have every now and then. i'm probably going ot bring both the .30-30 and the 12Ga.

bergie
January 30, 2007, 11:05 PM
If you can shoot it, a .30-30 will get you plenty of coyotes, just not at long ranges. For the ranges you are saying take both the shotgun and the .30-30.
You can bet the local coyote population knows exactly where every one of those barking dogs lives and how far from the house they go. Most of the time, dogs don't bother coyotes much.

.30-30 has been manufactured in bolt action and pump guns as well as lever actions.

M94's have been easy to scope for quite a few years, since they started the Angle-Eject. They weren't too tough before that.

I've shot coyotes with at least a dozen different rifles, in different calibers including but not limited to : a .22 (which I wouldn't recommend at all but this coyote was caught in a trap), .223, .243, .25-06, .270, .30-30, .308, .303, .30-06, .300 WSM. Also both 20 and 12 gauge shotguns.

bergie

Fat White Boy
January 31, 2007, 12:28 AM
ZPurdy- I have a .30-30 that is a Savage Model 340 bolt action. I put a 4X scope on it and it works great. I have handloaded some rounds with 110g bullets that are reasonably accurate. I need to do some more work with it, though. But, it is fun to shoot...Most rounds are 8 ring or closer...

zpurdy
January 31, 2007, 02:01 PM
yeah i like the .30-30 because theres no recoil felt and its what i use for my area to deer hunt in the brush

trooper3385
February 2, 2007, 11:41 PM
I don't think anything is to big for a coyote unless your hunting for furs. I'm heading out tommorrow to call some coyotes and I brought my 300 win mag and a 12 gauge. I'm working on some new loads for the 300 and figured I'd give it a shot. If your comfortable with the 30-30, go with that. If your within 30-40 yards, the 22 will work as well. A disgruntald DWI driver that I arrested last year used a 22 LR on my 80 lb doberman and it worked pretty good. I don't think you will find to many 80 lb coyotes out there. He's in prison right now by the way. But for coyote hunting, I don't think your gaining anything by using the 22 that the 30-30 can't do, so I would stick with that if those are your only options.

rem33
February 3, 2007, 01:12 AM
.22 isn't enough for a clean kill unless you make a head shot. I remember as a kid shooting a coyote in the ribs from so close I could see his hair part or puff as the bullet hit him. He was able to run so far we never found him. I know for a fact as seeing is believing that that bullet had hit in his heart/lung area with him standing sideways to me. Shot a pitbull the same once and he ran off too, saw his hair do the same. I didn't go looking for him but he didn't come back and try to kill my dog again either.
Head shots are another story as I have killed some pretty good sized animals with a 22 to the head.
Your 30-30 would do a fine job at the distances your talking about.

squirrelsniper
February 3, 2007, 06:56 AM
.22 isn't enough for a clean kill unless you make a head shot.

Even then it's not a sure thing for anything past point blank range. Trust me, I found that one out the hard way:(.

22LR rifle with CCI Mini-Mag HP versus coyote head at 55yds = stunned coyote who gets back up and attempts to run:(.

Even if it is a coyote, I want it dead when it's shot, not just wounded.