PDA

View Full Version : Tissue damage... (Graphic Pics) Figured the camara thing out...22-250 on white tail

castnblast
January 8, 2007, 12:33 PM
Here's the pix. I think you'll all agree...No marginal damage here...http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q198/castnblast_photo/2007_0105Jan2007pix0051.jpghttp://http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q198/castnblast_photo/2007_0105Jan2007pix0050.jpg

castnblast
January 8, 2007, 12:36 PM
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q198/castnblast_photo/2007_0105Jan2007pix0039.jpg

Here's the bullet...

castnblast
January 8, 2007, 12:43 PM
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q198/castnblast_photo/2007_0105Jan2007pix0050.jpg

Here's the tissue damage. Pretty impressive. This bullet traveled through 2 shoulder blades, & ribs. It was a 55 gr. Sierra Boat-tail Spire Point. I think it's safe to say the damage from this 22-250 is anything but marginal for killing a deer.:eek: . This deer was cockroached...Literally. Stood up on his hind legs, and flipped over on his back w/ antlers stuck in the ground. No chasing. 147 yd shot direct into the shoulder.:D

swampdog
January 8, 2007, 06:26 PM
I see you went with the photobucket option. Good choice and I'm glad you figured it out.

I mostly hunt in extremely heavy cover. I'll take shoulder shots, too. It ruins some meat, but they don't go far. My .270 tears them up pretty good, but it's better than loosing one.

Those photos are impressive. It's hard to believe a 55gr bullet can do that much damage.

Good job.

BIGR
January 8, 2007, 09:33 PM
Small bullet traveling fast.....does lots of damage...I have seen ground hogs messed up bad, missing teeth and parts from head shots...unreal

SavageSniper
January 8, 2007, 10:02 PM
Good job Cast. Great things come in small packages:D I really like smaller caliber rifles. I can shoot alot more rounds for the money and alot less punishment to my shoulder. With the big doggie deer around here, they do the job just fine.

castnblast
January 9, 2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the help swampdog. I didn't know squat about the photo bucket, but it was very easy to use. Thanks for the info!

Also, on another note, notice the bullet is still intact in the shoulder... This is what happens w/ the right bullet.

Scorch
January 10, 2007, 02:00 AM
Yes, the 22-250 will blow them apart pretty good! I have never shot a deer with mine, but a friend shot a deer years back with his 22-250 and had a one shot, nose to toes, drop on the spot kill at over 300 yds.

UniversalFrost
January 12, 2007, 09:09 AM
Nice pix of the aftermath. Very impressive for a 22-250. I don't doubt the effectiveness on smaller southern deer, but up north we get some big 200+ pounders that a .22 caliber just wouldn't cut it. Plus anything .223 and under is illegal for deer.

Nice deer though.

castnblast
January 12, 2007, 12:39 PM
I agree... That's what my 7mm rem mag is for! I got this gun due to shoulder problems...(rotator cup...) but anyway, It's been fun to play with, and I am very impressed with the results. Of course, using the right bullet has a lot to do with it. You wouldn't get these results w/ a V-Max, and that's not what they are designed for...W/ this caliber, bullet choice is everything, and shot placement as well...this gun has been a lot of fun, and I'm really impressed w/ the accuracy of this Howa 1500...

zeisloft
January 12, 2007, 03:11 PM
Universalfrost, not trying to be a smart ass, just an honest question: When you say “anything .223 and under is illegal for deer” are you saying any bullet with a diameter smaller than .223 inch is illegal or any caliber below .223 Rem is illegal? My question being based on the fact that the old Hornet bullets were .223, but most all other 22 caliber bullets are .224, so would a .22-250 be legal “up north”?
~z

UniversalFrost
January 12, 2007, 03:25 PM
I am saying that just about everything under .243 and some lethargic calibers like 44-40 are illegal to use on deer in certain states. You can look it up on the GFP website for South Dakota if you think I am making this up. They list minimum calibers you can use and some of the older ones like 44-40 and .30 m1 carbine that can't be used.

I agree with castnblast on the issue of shot placement. many deer all over the states have been "poached" with a .22lr to the head and I am not knocking the .22-250 ( I have one and it really works them yote's over), but unless you get a heart shot with it or a good head/neck shot, the big mulies and white tails up here will go a good ways until they realize they are dead. Before they outlawed .30 m1 carbine for deer up here, my dad was using his (now mine) m1 carbine to shoot deer and loved it for its compact size, yet great accuracy out to about 200 yards. Sure the gun took plenty of deer before the State GFP deemed it incapable, but they are mainly concerned with the average yahoo who can't hit a pie plate at 50 yards going out and trying to "cheap it" with a " do all" gun chambered in a "varmint" round.

Also for the issue with the shoulder you should really look into a Knoxx stock for your 7MM mag. I originally won a stock for my mossberg 500 and was sold on it. I then put a KNOXX stock on a .243 for my wife and it feels like I am shooting my .218 BEE. I then went for one on a .300 Weatherby Mag and it helped to reduce the kick down to feeling like a .243, then I went and added a muzzle brake and it feels like I am shooting my m4 in .223. Heck, even my wife who is 5'7" and 120lbs can shoot the .300 Weatherby Mag with no problems. My next gun to have a Knoxx stock is a Ruger 77 MKII in .338 Win Mag I just got from Wildalaska (still at his shop gettting a muzzle brake installed). This combo should put the recoil down to a .308 or .270 range.

I would really recommend it for persons with shoulder issues.

Dogjaw
January 13, 2007, 06:26 AM
In Michigan, the only rimfires are illegal for deer. I happen to use a 22-250, minus the 22 (I shoot a 250 Savage, which is the case used in a 22-250).

jaymag
January 21, 2007, 11:21 AM
Nobody better tell me a 22-250 or any small hot rod bullet is to small for deer.These screamers leave wicked damage.I bet if you hit a bear with a well placed shot, he would have a bad day.I will take my 30-06 180GR. over that.but Thanks for the pics!

Swiss Shooter
January 21, 2007, 04:12 PM
Impressive pictures. I never realized those small cals could do such huge damage.

castnblast
January 22, 2007, 02:31 PM
As stated before, I used to think they were too small...till I saw the damage one did from a guy that I've hunted w/ for the past 10 years...He has yet to loose a deer with his, and he shoots an average of 3 deer per year, and countless hogs...so do the math. When I discussed my shoulder problems he said, put the cannon away, and get a 22-250. Having been sold on what I saw his do, I bought one. Because the recoil is so light, there is just no danger of flinching. That is why you can shoot one so precise. As the pix show, the damage is enormous. I hope to shoot a hog soon and post pix of it. The shot to the shoulder really cuts down on the chase. It tends to render the shoulders useless, and makes running very difficult...per his advice. Lung shots behind the shoulder that are not quartering away do generally result in a short trail, but the exit wound...yes I said exit wound...leaves a great blood trail. Per his advice, my shots were on the shoulders w/ all 3 deer this season...(I got a doe on Friday...) That doe went in a circle about 10 yds. The shoulders looked like the ones in the pix above. The bullet exited this time and I did not recover it. I didn't take pix because it was raining too much to take out he camera. But I think my point was made. I'm going hog hunting this weekend (I think) and hopefully will have pix to share. I may go for a head shot because I don't want to ruin meat, but I may go for a shoulder just to prove the point. The range, rest, and animal movement will determine where that shot is placed.

I hope everyone had a great season!

Jseime
January 23, 2007, 09:13 PM
Where i am from (saskatchewan) the legal minimum is set at .23 caliber so they completely cut out all .223-.22-250 the whole works. Essentially 6mm is as small as you can go.

stuckon308
January 24, 2007, 12:42 AM
This year I was all set to use the .308 when the scope went all screwy the day before opening. So I took out the old .22-250. Second day I got my buck.The bullet passed through the spinal column and it was out for the count before I could walk up to it. I know, I know I shot the spine..... but I didn't have a choice. Long story. Anyway, .22-250 works, but next year my new .308 will be by my side.

castnblast
January 24, 2007, 11:05 AM
This would not be my gun of choice on a saskachewan deer. They are 2-3x the size of these S. Tx deer. I do believe a properly placed bullet would still do the job, but on a 300lb deer, that is just too big imo...as stated before...my choice for that hunt would be the trusty ole' 7mm mag.

castnblast
April 19, 2007, 05:00 PM
penetration of 22-250 on deer...

FirstFreedom
April 19, 2007, 05:27 PM
I *still* think a .22-250 with a 1 in 9 twist and 68-75 grain sp bullet would be the ultimate light recoil, flat-shootin', whitetail killin' machine. But who's gonna pay for a custom bbl like that when a .243 does the same thing for less?

castnblast
April 21, 2007, 10:04 AM
I agreee...I was told there is a guy up in NM. that will make a 1 in 9 for this gun for around 175. I'll post who he is as soon as I get the contact info, and see if anyone is aware. I'm not shooting anything lighter than a 55, so I'm looking for a 1 in 9. I'd like to shoot a 70...

Jseime
April 23, 2007, 03:16 AM
I do believe a properly placed bullet would still do the job, but on a 300lb deer, that is just too big imo...as stated before...my choice for that hunt would be the trusty ole' 7mm mag.

Your probably right that it would work with a well placed shot but you are also right that a 7mm mag is a better idea. Sometimes these mulies that we have around here just stand and watch you at 50 yards and they are big but they sure can be dumb.

I like my .270 it gives full penetration every time i squeeze the trigger. Id like to take a .22-250 and go after small white-tails in wide open country.

This thread is a good example of using a gun that is well suited to its purpose.

fisherman66
April 23, 2007, 10:49 AM
This thread is a good example of using a gun that is well suited to its purpose.

I believe the construction of the bullet is very important when choosing a smaller caliber like a 22. I've had 7mm express (280) ballistic tips do funny things when encountering bone. The funny things remind me of the JFK assasination bullet trajectory (sorry if that's a metaphor in poor taste). I would want a good nosler or A frame bullet for a 22 cal mid class hunting rig. I've about given up on BTs for even larger calibers.

mikejonestkd
April 23, 2007, 11:24 AM
I have had very good success with ballistic tips, and the similar winchester CT silvertips, and the rem accutips on deer sized game ( in .243. 7mm-08, and .308 win ), but then again I haven't had to punch them through bone like you have - we take broadside shots probably 95% of the time. We have yet to recover a bullet from probably 15-20 deer shot with any of the above listed bullets.

I agree that a fairly tough bullet should be used in a smaller caliber like a .22-250. the nosler partition in 60 gr would be great for broadside shots at small to medium sized deer, and as the photos show, it does a decent job!!!

Still, for me at least the .243 is about the mimumim that I am comfortable with for deer. It has more margin of error, bigger bullets, and hits harder.

fisherman66
April 23, 2007, 11:42 AM
Maybe I should have specified "ribs". The shot my mind is recalling was a broadside shot at 100 or so yards. I would guess that the bullet shattered and some splinters went rearward. I had an exit wound where it should be, but the guts were blenderized. I have had the guts burst on many occasions where a soft point would have passed cleanly.

I agree the results of a BT are amazing. I'm just sick of cleaning the mess. My gut piles look like grassy ravioli.

I also find a 243 about as small as I'm willing to go, even with the puppy dog sized Texas deer. I'm not about to chide someone else for going smaller, as long as they know the limitations and make a clean kill.

mikejonestkd
April 23, 2007, 12:07 PM
fisherman,

We are in complete agreement, they are amazing and they also shred when they hit any bone, I recall more than a few that came apart after hitting a rib at the entrance wound. I've never had bullet or bone splinters get into the guts though. I agree that it must have been gross...

They do turn lungs into jello and tear chunks out of hearts, I will continue to use them for my deer up here in NY. My father's .243 is scary accurate with the .95 gr accutips... and there's no recoil compared to bigger rifle calibers.

Castnblast is right on the money, a very fast properly constructed bullet properly placed in a medium sized deer will result in vension. I wouldn't recommend a .22-250 for a novice but it will do the job well in the hands of a confident experienced shooter that can carefully pick and choose his shots.

piercfh
April 24, 2007, 11:52 AM
Woops!

Heres what happens when you catch a little bone going in. The entrance was just behind the shoulder. Nosler BTHP Match...
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24016&stc=1&d=1177433386

fisherman66
April 24, 2007, 12:24 PM
gutless yellow belly sow:)

castnblast
April 29, 2007, 08:30 PM
BTW, this was with a boat tail, but not a ballistic tip. This deer was shot using a Sierra 55gr GAME KING BTSP. Game Kings have thicker jackets, the boat-tail helps retain energy.

fisherman66
April 29, 2007, 08:49 PM
Looks like you found a ninja pig. In shame the ninja pig commited seppuku avoiding falling into enemy hands, and to attenuating the shame brought upon the pig daimyo.

FirstFreedom
April 30, 2007, 07:57 PM
What weight is that piggie?

piercfh
April 30, 2007, 10:24 PM
Probably 100lbs. I dont think have ever seen one much over 250 around these parts. I think that one was a sow too. My buddy has her frozen and is supposed to fix us some sausage sometime.

Rangefinder
April 30, 2007, 10:37 PM
Impressive pictures. I never realized those small cals could do such huge damage. You'd be shocked to see just how capable the small, fast rounds can be. I wouldn't recommend it for "green" hunters, but I've taken more than a few elk with my Remington 6mm with both neck and chest shots. That high-speed impact just vaporized the internals--lungs were red jello/mush in every chest cavity hit and none took more than a few steps before they collapsed on the spot--hit a bull once and he arched his back like a cat, then fell over sideways without even a flinch. He was dead before he hit the ground. Never underestimate the small and fast when the right bullet is in use. ;)

Fremmer
April 30, 2007, 10:48 PM
Good pics!

This deer was shot using a Sierra 55gr GAME KING BTSP.

I use the Sierra BTSP in .308 for deer. Great accuracy, no tracking. :cool: That's a great round.

FirstFreedom
May 1, 2007, 09:25 PM
Hey rangefinder, what 6mm bullet worked so well on elk?

Rangefinder
May 1, 2007, 09:44 PM
Hey rangefinder, what 6mm bullet worked so well on elk?

100gr. Nosler Partition pushed by 48gr. RL-22 is what I used for the first few years. Those were all with picky neck shots.

After some serious experimenting with the balistics, I switched over to 95gr. Nosler Balistic Tips pushed by 45.5gr RL-19. Those do a nasty number on lung tissue. I spent one entire summer shooting water-logged foam dock floats through fired clay plates to dial in just the right penetration and expansion depths. If they clip a rib, they disolve the first lung and shread the heart. If they pass between the ribs, they come apart midway through, about heart depth and disolve a big chunk of the lung on the back side. Without a pass-through, everything in the shock radius siezes up on impact.

FirstFreedom
May 1, 2007, 10:01 PM
Sounds real effective; thanks. Your experimentation paid off, sounds like! I'm a believer in high-speed bullets with neck shots.

castnblast
September 25, 2007, 04:39 PM
Reactivated this thread because it's relevant to a current topic being posted.

dbgun
September 25, 2007, 06:06 PM
My wife's uncle, hunts with a 22-250 (Remington?). He told me got tired of the kick from a 30-06. He's been using a 22-250 for about 5 yrs. and has never lost a deer yet. He hunts out near Kenedy, TX.

Yithian
September 25, 2007, 10:28 PM
Yea cast', this thread makes me wish I'd taken pictures of the piggie I shot with my .204 last Sat.

The little lady stuck her head up to figure out what the smell was. (Me up-wind.)
I promptly told her it was the smell of Heaven. (aka, a freezer.)
Right behind the ear with a 39gr Sierra BK.
Left a 2 inch hole bored to the other side of its skull.
No exit tho.

No kick, and watched it go down thru the scope.

Next is to see what a 45gr Hornady SP can do.
I just got them in the mail a few days ago. Gotta get em loaded up!

castnblast
April 13, 2008, 04:35 PM
I'm only reposting because it is valid to another thread...

Yithian
April 13, 2008, 09:59 PM
lol Thanks cast.

On this note, the Hornady 204 bullets are far more deadly than the Sierra BK's.
I had a 120Lb runnin' sow in the gut with a 40gr V-max, ~80 to 90 yards. No exit wound.
Entry wound looked very much like piercfh's exit wound pic.
Nasty!

sureshots
April 30, 2008, 06:13 PM
With the damage Castnblast inflicted on his Whitetail it would not have made any difference how much that deer weighed. If it had been 300lbs. I'm sure the results would have been the same. Most don't realize the damage that A well placed shot (with the proper bullet) from A 22-250 will do. I have seen this same result many times. The 22-250 cal. will do the job.

castnblast
May 2, 2008, 02:23 PM
Key here is proper bullet, not a varnment bullet. Most of the damage in this picture is a result of hydrostatic shock, which is the pressure wave behind the bullet, like when you see a water drop into a pond, etc, except this is the hyper end of that. A good example is a rifle shot into water - it blows water in all direction- that is what the innards do, and has more to do with velocity than energy. Hydrostatic shock is a under appreciated/understood action on body tissue.

Jack O'Conner
May 2, 2008, 03:28 PM
I'm acquainted with a man who raises alfalfa for a living. He shoots deer on sight with his 22-250 and the 60 grain Nosler bullet. I'm told that at the shot, deer legs fold up. The animal collapses literally in its own tracks. He aims for the neck-to-backbone spot. Nope, I don't shoot animals out of season.

Thanks for sharing the photos.
Jack

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/skeletonshot.jpg

jimbob86
May 2, 2008, 03:45 PM
Why, pray tell, would I want to put a bullet into bone in the middle of two neck roasts? Seems to me that the deer would be just as dead if you put one/both lungs/his heart out of action-parts I dont intend to eat anyway. The "boiler room" shot's target area is 10 times as big as that spot your farmer friend is aiming at, and wastes no meat. Though it sounds as if your friend is wasting 100% of the meat.

sureshots
May 2, 2008, 04:52 PM
Jacks diagram is showing only one of the possible shot placments when using calibers such as the 22-250 cal. If this one is not suitable for you there are many more that will do the job just as well. Many times you choose your shot according to the position of the animal, you may not always be offered the brodside shot. Once again, Shot placement and the proper Bullet are the Keys. By the way, your choice of shot also works well for the broadside shot. Sounds like you know your stuff. I like neck roast(my favorite) too.

jimbob86
May 2, 2008, 05:02 PM
I just know what works for me.....

With high velocity, lightly constructed bullets (I use 150gr Sierra Gameking SBT in .270 at @2950 f/sec MV) it works well with the deer facing you at short (under 100 yds) ranges- the bullet comes apart and does not get past the diaphram (into the stomach/guts, where it will make field dressing unnecessarily messy/stinky. At over 100 yards, if they are facing you, they'll probably get closer, or turn broadside. I have never seen them cover much ground walking backwards. Just wait.......

mikenbarb
May 2, 2008, 07:55 PM
Has anyone tried the new DRT ammo for deer in small cals? They say their devastating with no pass thru. They say tha ammo explodes everything on the inside of the chest cavity and keep all the energy in a soccer ball sized area. I saw a show that they were in Africa shooting plains game with the DRT and all dropped on the spot with no pass thru.:confused:

Boris Bush
May 2, 2008, 08:37 PM
jimbob86

I will always and forever use a shot that hits bone (shoulder) over a lung shot any day. Yep some meat gets ruined, but I will still be adding alot more to the freezer than it had before. The fact that deer can run a long way and still be alive when you get to it after you catchup to it does not appeal to me either.

I will at times hunt on my dads farm where deer cross over from a non hunting neighbors land that will not let you on his land to get a deer you shot............. Lung shot deer runs onto neighbors land, you are out of luck. Last deer I shot out there was 10 feet onto my dads land and it was shoulder shot and went 2 feet straight down. A few years earlier another hunter in our party always poked at me for not lung shooting, and guess where his lung shot deer went.....................

Shoulder shots are good for stopping the deer on the spot. Less tracking and quicker kills, with no chance of lost deer to neighbors.

I do like the advice you gave though, it shows you know deer habits ;) anyway, sometimes I take the hunt to the animal. Much more fun for me, infact I have never taken a deer past 94 yards and am darn proud of that.........

In closing, what ever you use or how you do it, some people will always try to convert you to their side, I just say get out and hunt..................

mikenbarb
May 4, 2008, 08:43 AM
BorisBush, If you contact your local PD or fish and game division you would have been able to recover those deer. Its the law that your entitled to recover "YOUR" dead deer from private property with or without the owners permission. You just have to take the rite steps and do it legally and the first is to call fish and game. They will either send someone out or they contact your local law enforcement agency to allow you to gain access to your deer even if the other property owners having a hissy fit and says no, the law says yes and they cant do anything about it. Nothing bothers me more than seeing someone lose a deer to a tree hugger. And even if the F&G didnt get there or were too busy I know I would have been belly crawling over there that evening to get my deer or if warm out I would have had to duke it out with the neighbor if he didnt understand why I want and need my deer. Another thing is that a dead deer on Mr. Bunny Huggers property enforces his theory of why there shouldnt be any hunting at all. Anti's are a bunch of miserable people with nothing better to do than bother law abiding sportsman and women and they should get a grip on reality.