PDA

View Full Version : Most Accurate Rimfire Rifle

roy reali
December 29, 2006, 09:29 PM
We have had several threads here about accurate rifles. I would like to know What is the most accurate rimfire rifle you've ever had experience with? I am talking about stock, out of the box accuracy. Scopes are fine, but everything else is as the factory made it.

I have an old Remington 581 bolt action rifle. It is not only the most accurate rimfire I've shot, but maybe the most accurate rifle period out to fifty or so yards. This is one of those guns that just will not miss within its intended range. I have shot at the range along side guys with tricked out, fancy .22's, and I do just as well.

So, what is the most accurate rimfire you have ever had?

skeeter1
December 29, 2006, 10:12 PM
The most accurate .22 rimfire I've ever shot was my dad's old (1948) Winchester 52B sporter. It's in the hands of my cousin now, because that's what dad and the rest of the family thought was a good idea. At any rate, it will stay in the family. Beware if you go looking for one... a mint-condition one will run somewhere around $4K.

My Marlin 39 is pretty good, but not in the same league as the Winchester.

Scott
December 29, 2006, 10:13 PM
A Wiehrauch HW 660............
With Federal Premium Gold Medal Target, it will shoot 20 rounds thru one ragged hole at 50 yds.

870 wingmaster
December 29, 2006, 10:36 PM
My CZ 452 american 22lr is good for 1\2 inch groups at 50 yards. It is a good rifle for the $$$$:)

johnbt
December 29, 2006, 11:20 PM
Of the stock guns I've owned, Cooper. Next would be a 541-S and a Finnfire, although the Finnfire might be better now that it has a T-36 scope and a 1.5-ounce Jewell trigger.

I think any manufacturer can make a good shooter from time to time (or a bad one for that matter.) It's just that some models seem to improve the odds of getting a good one and a few models are just simply outstanding.

John

el Divino
December 29, 2006, 11:44 PM
Brno that's it

Lycanthrope
December 29, 2006, 11:49 PM
Brno that's it

Same gun as the CZ 452......and a great rifle.

Mine made me get interested in rimfires all over again.

hksigwalther
December 29, 2006, 11:57 PM
Out of the .22 lrs I have, the Ansch├╝tz 54:18 and 2013/690-2313 have shot the best for me. Old Fed Ultra Match UM1 and a couple higher end Lapua loads, respectively. I do have to say, though, that a built up 10/22M-.17HMR I have gives them a run for their money. (Comparisons are made at 50 yds.)

XD Gunner
December 30, 2006, 12:20 AM
I have a Marlin tube fed .22lr here with a Simmons 4X scope on it, will cut pencils in two at 50 yds...

el Divino
December 30, 2006, 12:28 AM
Brno it's the same as CZ, Brno model 2 is great but Brno model 3 and model 4 are the best

DonR101395
December 30, 2006, 12:32 AM
My 10/22 target shoots 1" groups at 100 yards with remington bulk box ammo. That's plenty for me.

scottys1
December 30, 2006, 12:33 AM
I have a couple of Marlins, an 880SQ and a 7000T. Both will shoot sub 1/2" groups (often one ragged hole) at 50yds with boring regularity. Surprisingly, they both like CCI Blazer ammo as well or better than some match ammo although I haven't tried any of the really expensive stuff.

eerudd
December 30, 2006, 01:06 AM
$99 pawn shop special 10/22 dog...its all about shooting. pimp a nice rifle, but it comes down to can u put roudns on target dog ? Word

JScott72
December 30, 2006, 07:37 AM
A friend of my dads has a Browning T-Bolt (original not new)that consistently shoots one hole groups in his hands. Come to think of it my dad has a T-Bolt that shoots almost as well, I am starting to see a pattern. My own most accurate is a Remington 582 with a Weaver scope that will shoot half inch groups when I do my part.

arkie2
December 30, 2006, 08:05 AM
that consistently shoots one hole groups in his hands.

:eek:

Man, that's gotta hurt!

sanson
December 30, 2006, 08:34 AM
my 10/22 is a fine rifle but it CERTAINLY is not the most accurate rimfire I have shot. surprisingly my buddy's cheap single shot Marlin was a tack-driver

270Win
December 30, 2006, 09:20 AM
$99 pawn shop special 10/22 dog...its all about shooting. pimp a nice rifle, but it comes down to can u put roudns on target dog ? Word

...Seriously?

USNairman
December 30, 2006, 11:40 AM
It would the the CZ 452 for me.

Scorch
December 30, 2006, 02:28 PM
Before I get flamed, I will say that I own a Ruger 77/22 Target, a Remington 541T, and a Marlin 60. Their accuracy decreases in the order listed, 77/22 is most accurate, then the Remington 541T, then (waaay down the list) the Marlin.

The most accurate 22 rifles available today are Anschutz, Feinwerkbau, and Walther. If you don't agree, talk to smallbore match shooters. Go ahead and brag up your Marlin or CZ or Savage, and, if you are lucky, when they get done laughing they will show you a truly accurate rifle.

TPAW
December 30, 2006, 04:03 PM
Most Accurate Rimfire Rifle

The one that is locked in a vise and can't move! No matter how accurate a rifle is, it is only as accurate as it's shooter and type of ammo. The human element will always be a contributing factor.

oldbillthundercheif
December 30, 2006, 04:32 PM
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k223/zarganuts/anschutz2013.jpg

el Divino
December 30, 2006, 04:47 PM
I disagree with Scorch:

STOCK OUT OF THE BOX rimfire rifle the most accurate is the Brno and if you didn't know the French Unique is among the most accurate rifle in the world, Anschutz, Feinwerkbau, and Walther are excelent rifles and could be considered in the most accurate group

blue smoke
December 30, 2006, 04:51 PM
tc 22 classic i have shoot petty good . leuplod 2x7 scope cut holes at 50 yards:D looking for 10 round clip for it know where i can get one :eek: :eek:

DonR101395
December 30, 2006, 05:31 PM
The most accurate 22 rifles available today are Anschutz, Feinwerkbau, and Walther. If you don't agree, talk to smallbore match shooters. Go ahead and brag up your Marlin or CZ or Savage, and, if you are lucky, when they get done laughing they will show you a truly accurate rifle.

I don't believe that was the question.

I believe this was the question:

So, what is the most accurate rimfire you have ever had?

I could be wrong, but most people read that to mean a stock production gun, not a hand made purpose built space gun.

Foxman
December 30, 2006, 05:59 PM
Sako finfire in bolt action followed by ruger 77-22.
Ruger 10-22 T target in semi followed by an old anschutz which is no longer made. I have all but the 77-22 which I regret selling to a buddy, but he loves it and enjoys his squirrel hunting with it so what the heck.

el Divino
December 30, 2006, 06:15 PM
the original question was:

We have had several threads here about accurate rifles. I would like to know What is the most accurate rimfire rifle you've ever had experience with? I am talking about stock, out of the box accuracy. Scopes are fine, but everything else is as the factory made it.

and I htink BRNO is the best, even though I own also a UNIQUE the group of the BRNO it tighter

oldbillthundercheif
December 30, 2006, 07:02 PM
And again I say Anschutz. Nothing else compares.

Odd Job
December 30, 2006, 07:13 PM
Cz452

hksigwalther
December 30, 2006, 09:31 PM
I could be wrong, but most people read that to mean a stock production gun, not a hand made purpose built space gun.

For guns such as the Ansch├╝tzes, Feinwerkbaus, Walthers, et al, like the 2013 pictured above, they are stock production guns.

The question does, however, request info on what people have actually shot.

revjen45
December 30, 2006, 09:33 PM
A Martini .22 target rifle.

auburnboattail
December 30, 2006, 09:35 PM
Remington target master

mrawesome22
December 30, 2006, 10:33 PM
I had a Marlin Model 60 when I was a kid. I could hit empty .22 shells with it all day long with open sights. I remember it had very unusual rifling. I think it was called micro-groove or something. Whatever it was, it was amazing. I forget why I ever got rid of that gun. I have a 10/22 now with a Green Mountain barrel on it and one time I hit my buddies car antenna 10 times out of 10 shots. I won $10 LOL. The squirrels really hate that gun.

Tim R
December 31, 2006, 04:51 AM
A friend of mine let me borrow his Win 52C with target sights for over the winter to keep my High Power skills up. I shoot .22 in an heated indoor .22 range which is nice. I now understand the hype with the 52's and I'm amazed at just how well this rifle shoots with plain ole' CCI standard. If the bullet fails go through the same hole as the last one, it's all my fault!

My best shooting .22 rifle is a old Rem 552 speed master. My son in law was not hapy with me when I posted a smaller group off sandbags than he did with him shooting his high $ 10/22 off the same bags. Course it could be I can pull the trigger a little better.

Picher
December 31, 2006, 07:44 AM
The most accurate out of the box is my Anschutz 1411, but I only shoot it from the bench.

The most accurate sporters out of the box have been the Rem 581 and Marlin 39A.

It's hard to say beyond that, since I take my rifles apart and do some work on most of them, even before shooting them for the first time.

The rifles that have not impressed me out of the box, but ended up being excellent shooters after considerable work include the H&R model 12, Ruger 10-22, and CZ Varmint.

Picher

Rembrandt
December 31, 2006, 11:21 AM
roy reali= So, what is the most accurate rimfire you have ever had?

As a collector of Winchester 52's....there is no question what's the most accurate. Anything else is a "wanna-be 52" and a disappointment.

dfaugh
December 31, 2006, 11:42 AM
Amazingly, My Marlin Model 60 is the most accurate .22 (and any gun for that matter) I've ever owned.Tried lots of different ammo (all of which shoots well), but with Wolf Match Target, this thing is FAR more accurate than an inexpensive auto loader has any right to be. 10 shot groups you can cover with a dime at 50 yards.

As a collector of Winchester 52's....there is no question what's the most accurate. Anything else is a "wanna-be 52" and a disappointment.

Believe it or not, best shootin' buddy has a 52, with a 24x Unertl scope, and he (and I) can't quite shoot as good groups as I can with my Model 60.

sindiesel666
December 31, 2006, 12:34 PM
I post under this same name in RimfireCentral as well, and love shooting .22s.
I can guarantee you a 100% that no Model 60 will outshoot a Winnie 52 under same conditions....ever....;)

I've had 2 Model 60s that shot no better than my Ruger 10/22. Reliability was much worse that 10/22.
Marlin 60s may be nice out in the field due to slim profile, they are marginally more accurate than stock 10/22s, probably less accurate than Remington 597. Can't really compare them to most bolties since bolt action usually prevails in accuracy dept.

10 shot groups you can cover with a dime at 50 yards.
dfaugh, you got any pics of your 10 shot-under-dime @ 50 yards pics??? Not trying to sound like an a$$ here, but I have a hard time believing you on that one without seeing it myself. There are some awesome shooters on RFCentral that would not be able to pull that one off with an Anschutz or a Win 52 consistently. Maybe you need to enter your Model 60 in the RFCentral "Smallest 5-shot group" matches....:)

Anyways, to answer the original question....
most accurate box stock rifle I've ever owned has got to be the Brno Model 3 and also my CZ 452 Trainer. Both have turned in some really nice groups at 50 and 100 yards. Here's some pics...

CZ 452 @ 50 yards, 5 shots, Federal 510
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/sindiesel666/rimfires/cz/28%20Nov%20targets/IMG_8520.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/sindiesel666/rimfires/cz/28%20Nov%20targets/IMG_8527.jpg

Brno Model 3 @ 100 yards, 5 shots, Federal 510
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/sindiesel666/rimfires/brno/11%20dec/IMG_8864.jpg

hoji
December 31, 2006, 01:31 PM
For me it is my Ruger 10/22 target.I can hit steel silhouettes at 225 yards with over 90% accuracy using el cheapo bulk ammo.

mikejonestkd
December 31, 2006, 02:00 PM
Take a look at what the olympic shooters use.....HMMM......anschutz....

probably 95% use anschutz....and you can order one right from the factory so they are NOT custom race guns.

Game over.

TPAW
December 31, 2006, 03:51 PM
I can guarantee you a 100% that no Model 60 will outshoot a Winnie 52 under same conditions....ever....

BOULDERDASH MY GOOD MAN, SIMPLY BOULDERDASH!.........

Rembrandt
December 31, 2006, 04:54 PM
Gotta agree with sindiesel666, have never seen a Marlin out shoot a 52, photos of this feat would be helpful.

If this is possible, perhaps in the near future Olympic competitions will be done with Marlin model 60's.

Trapper L
December 31, 2006, 05:22 PM
I have a Winchester 75 Target thaty shoots pretty good. Typical Winchester target- shoots a ragged hole at 50 yds. I prefer it over the Anshultz's I have. Sindiesels CZ looks like its a pretty good shooter as well.

Ken O
December 31, 2006, 11:06 PM
I'm partial to the Anshutz, I have an older 52-14 that shoots great. The biggest problem with .22s are the ammo, one lot will shoot great, than the next will be crap. There are a lot of good shooting .22s out there, for something real inexpensive its hard to beat a CZ/Brno, or the Russian CMs.
Some might be interested that the CMP starting tomorrow is unloading lots of Gvmt surplus target .22s, some new, some used. There are Win 52Ds, Kimber 82s, Rem 40Xs, etc.http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/caliber22.htm

hksigwalther
January 1, 2007, 01:43 AM
Although I agree with some posters regarding incredible groups from less refined guns, I would, however, give the posters of those groups the benefit of the doubt (no matter how exceptional the groups may be).

Being on a rimfire binge for the past couple of years, Ken's post is correct. There are some very good sporter, varmint, low cost alternatives that are "good enough" (between 0.50"-1.00" @ 50yds / 5 rounds with the right load). IMO from my experience, the CZ are the best value for the performance (at least my samples. The CMs also show potential, but don't judge there build quality by the pictures. They are rough with most of the major parts (including sights) built and finished by hand. Being Russian, the stereo-type of the guns are true. Rough but very functional. For (relatively) low cost but above build quality, the surplus guns are pretty good which have been selling for the past year or two. The essentially new 82Gs are great bargains (~$600). Big and heavy, excellent for position shooting. The others are well used but still quite accurate. (IMO, best to drop by the stores to pick out the one you want. Got an 82G earlier this year ('06) with only a 3-4" light razor cut on the buttstock with everything else pristine.) They are, however, single shots.

Dennis Rogers
January 1, 2007, 10:11 AM
Real happy with these groups from my 10/22 mag. with Win. JHP .40Gn. @ 50 yrds. Installed some goodies, Clark trigger group,mag release,bolt release.
Started rainning so the 100 yrd.test will have to wait.
:)

jay weston
January 1, 2007, 10:14 AM
All i know is i bought a remington 597 about 7 years ago, finally broke it out this year. Cleaned it up, mounted a scope and went to sight it in and wouldnt shoot within a 4 inch square more than half the clip. VERY VERY disappointed.

rgates
January 1, 2007, 10:17 AM
stock, out of the box

Sixty year old Marlin 39a. Followed by Ruger 10/22.

BigEd63
January 1, 2007, 03:21 PM
CZ-452 Varminter, was 1MOA accurate @ 100yd, if there was no wind.:p

Plus not very picky about ammo either.

No longer have it but will be getting the 453 single set trigger version as soon as funds allow.:)

kart racer
January 1, 2007, 06:29 PM
My savage bv 17 hmr has proven pretty accurate
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1327/mvc001siw7.th.jpg (http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mvc001siw7.jpg)
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6828/mvc003sud0.th.jpg (http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mvc003sud0.jpg)
5 shots at 90 yards
My 10/22 isn't as accurate by any means-those are the only rimfires I have.

SKYDIVER386
January 1, 2007, 10:09 PM
I have a Kimber SVT 22 that loves Eley Match ammo. The factory included a test target that measures .40 for 5 shots at 50 yards. The best I've been able to do with it is .65 at 50 yards, but that is more than good enough for treee rats. :)

johnbt
January 2, 2007, 12:14 PM
Take a look at what the olympic shooters use.....HMMM......anschutz....

probably 95% use anschutz....and you can order one right from the factory so they are NOT custom race guns.

Game over.

What game? The original question was about what guns you have had experience with. Some Anchutz guns are wonderful and some are inexpensive and merely so-so. Which ones have you had experience with?

I need to add my uncle's old refinished T-Bolt to my list, followed by his Auto .22.

John

mikestenger
January 4, 2007, 05:29 PM
I am a lifelong competitive smallbore rifle shooter...started in 1960. Participated in the National Matches at Camp Perry in 1962. Shot on the Coast Guard Academy Rifle Team for four years. For that entire 46 years to date, I have used Anschutz rifles, normally the 'position' rifle with adjustable stock, butthook, thumbhole, etc. The Anschutz is far and away the best and most accurate rifle on the market. Best triggers. Best built. Best accesories.

I have used Eley Tenex ammo most of that time, although I have dabbled with Lapua, Federal and others. I buy it two cases at a time...both cases out of the same lot. I obtain 100 rounds of each ammo I want to test before I make the purchase and test fire at 100 yards under carefully controlled conditions. I have always been able to find a lot of Eley Tenex that will consistently shoot into about 0.70 inches for several 10-shot groups. In my rifle, no other brand of ammo has shot as well as Tenex.

If there is a rifle in the world that will out-perform that, I have not seen one. At the matches I go to, about 9 out of 10 of the other shooters are using Anschutz.

One other advantage of this rifle (current one is a 1413 Super Match 54) is that it NEVER shifts zero!! I can take the sights off and remount them and it still shoots to the same point of impact. Take it out of the stock and put it back in (and this is a wooden stock) and same result. Dead on!!

270Win
January 4, 2007, 05:43 PM
Nice first post!

Sounds like a pretty conclusive answer right there.

sindiesel666
January 5, 2007, 06:47 PM
Gotta agree, Anschutz rifles are some of the finest made in the world for their intended purpose. Very few others come even close....

MP-5
January 5, 2007, 06:58 PM
Remington 540X!!!!:cool:

http://www.remington.com/images/library/history/models/m540[1].jpg

FR Baseball
January 5, 2007, 07:10 PM
Most accurate .22 rimfire I've ever shot is my dad's Kimber Super America. My pops tells me that they are guaranteed to shoot .5 inch groups @ 100 yards, though I couldn't find any mention of that on Kimber's website.

P-990
January 5, 2007, 10:12 PM
The most accurate .22LR I've ever fired was a Walther KK100 using "cheap" Wolf (or SK, same thing) Match Target. It also shot well with an RWS label, but I can't recall the exact ammo type.

With that rifle I easily fired 10-shot groups at 50 yards, PRONE, that could have been covered with a nickel, or smaller, coin. Didn't bother save any targets, as those groups weren't that good compared to the Anschutzs and better shooters.

As mikestenger says, Anschutz rules the roost for a reason. When I'm ready to retire my Highpower rifles I'll pick up an Anschutz 1913 and go to work. Nothing else, especially in the sub-$1000 range, even comes close. When the real .22 match rifles come out, the "accurized" 10/22s disappear! ;)