PDA

View Full Version : Increasing shooting skill

azredhawk44
December 26, 2006, 03:51 PM
So, I'm left handed.

What's the best way to learn to shoot right handed, or one handed?

More specifically, what's the best way to practice these skills without alarming the range officer at your range?

2-handed weaver stance, left hand lead: got it down.

Wanna be safe, but wanna learn to shoot under less-than-optimal weapon holds.

Thanks, guys.

armedandsafe
December 26, 2006, 07:32 PM
The first exercise is to just switch your two handed stance to right-lead.

The real question is going to be: how dominate is your left eye? You will have to determine if you are going to be able to use your right eye for aiming, or if you have to adjust your stance to place the gun under your left eye. Switching your two handed stance to right lead will give you a hint on this. Then you can block your left eye and start practicing on that. Eventually, you will get enough practice to begin to use your left eye when shooting lefty and your right eye when shooting righty.

All in all, it is a matter of practice. By starting with a modified two handed stance, it is probable that no one will even notice, (unless they look at your scores.:D)

Pops

Deaf Smith
December 26, 2006, 07:41 PM
Get a holster for your weak side.

Go into the garage with a TOTALY empty weapon, no ammo even in the room, and with a mat on the floor start to learn to draw weak handed. Then learn to use two hands from that side. Go from there to speed reloading, tac- loads, pivots, transitions, one handed weak shooting, and the like.

I do that EVERY morning before work. I have a Glock with a special trigger that resets and allows me to 'click' away without having to rack the slide each time (and the gun won't fire either!)

I have a pair of short with left and right handed holsters and mag pouches. I do just as much right handed as left. All I've described above and more.

Then on the real gun range, I do it again only with live ammo.

Treat your weak side just as your stong side and dedicate just as much ammo and practice. In time, you will be able to shoot with either hand (and there are HUGE advantages!)

DesertShooter
January 2, 2007, 11:23 AM
Several years ago, I injured my right hand, and I taught myself how to shoot as a "lefty". At first, it was very awkward. I had a couple of "lefty" shooting buddies, so I asked if I could observe their draws, presentations and shooting. Then, I put in a lot of time in front of a full-length mirror....with an EMPTY firearm! I started out in a slow-motion, and as it became more comfortable, I sped up my actions.

Range time was a necessity, but only for the shooting aspect. I also went to a remote area where I could safely draw/present/shoot without causing anyone else to worry about it.

As far as eye dominance goes, I've always been a "righty" SHOOTER, but with LEFT eye dominance. I've done a LOT of work on using one eye closed, both eyes open, and what is called the "Quell Method" ("righty" shooting, but dropping the right cheek onto my upper arm/shoulder area and aiming with the left eye). The "Quell Method" is a bit awkward, at least at first, but with practise it becomes almost natural.

By the way, I still carry on my LEFT hip, as a "lefty" shooter would do, but I can draw "lefty" and make a transition to my right hand for shooting almost as fast as if I had done it 100% as a "righty"! Add to that, if necessary, I can draw as a "lefty" and shoot left-handed almost as good as I can as a "righty".

Remember, practise does NOT "make perfect"! Only "perfect" practise will make you a better shooter! If you have any bad habits and "practise" them, you're not going to achieve "perfection"!

pax
January 2, 2007, 12:00 PM
Safety tip: Pay special attention to what the thumb of your (formerly) dominant hand is doing as you practice. It's waaaayy too easy to accidentally get that thumb behind the slide ... ouchies!

pax

NCHornet
January 2, 2007, 12:51 PM
Just curious why do you want to shoot right handed? Gun design, greater holster selection or what? I would practice the draw right in your home, you can even dry fire as well. I would practice this prior to putting live rounds in the tube.

azredhawk44
January 2, 2007, 12:57 PM
Just curious why do you want to shoot right handed?

I'm one of those martial artist types of people. Do a drill with one hand 100 times, then do it the other way 100 times.

I've never done that with firearms, but the logic to it makes sense to me. I'd like to safely learn to do so with my right hand, but I am VERY left handed dominant. My right handed handwriting looks like it's Korean or something.:o

I just don't want to alarm a range officer by being clumsy with my right hand.

AND... since I am left hand dominant, if I am in a self defense situation I am likely to already have that hand in play protecting myself at close quarters. Being able to draw and shoot with my right hand would be useful.

BillCA
January 2, 2007, 02:42 PM
azredhawk,

Unless you intend to carry right-handed, I'd not worry about drawing from a holster & presenting with the weak hand. In most situations you're better off learning to "fend off" an attack with the off-hand (your right) whilst reaching for your weapon with your strong hand. Being a southpaw, that can present some challenges, though your martial arts training will aid you there. Most weak-hand drills assume you can transfer a drawn weapon to your weak-hand - such as when you are moving others to safety or are injured.

When practicing weak-hand, take your time to not only shift the gun to your weak-hand, but to shift your feet as well, so you remain balanced. Go slow until your body gets used to the positions needed and think about what you are doing before doing it. Once you get acustomed to the difference, your speed can/will increase.

One thing you might want to practice (and few people do) is reaching around with your weak hand to acquire your weapon. Using an unloaded gun in its normal carry position, see what effort is needed to get the gun out of the holster. This presumes your strong arm is either very busy (holding on to a ladder for example) or disabled before needing the firearm. Do NOT try this on a range, since your weapon will, of necessity, not be pointing downrange. You may find that your carry position or holster does not enable you to easily acquire your firearm with the weak hand and you may want to adjust your carry method accordingly.

If you want to carry right handed (even if it's a B.U.G.) then start with practicing your draw with an unloaded gun. Take each step one at a time - shift your balance, sweep the cover garment away, grasp the gun, trigger finger outside the trigger guard, slowly draw and come to your preferred presentation position, squeeze trigger. Repeat at least 10-20 times slowly until you work out the flow. At the range, move slowly and deliberately until you have it worked out.

If you know your Range Officer, explain to him what you are doing. Often times a little conversation goes a long way to preventing misunderstandings. Many will be supportive too. If you have a shooting partner who is right-handed, you can observe his body positions to help you find the one that works best for you.