PDA

View Full Version : War Stories: How have they affected your choice of CCW firearms,bullet selection?

Socrates
December 24, 2006, 01:02 PM
Hi
First I'd like to apologize for posting under another name here, to Erik. I'm a public school teacher in Kalifornia, and, need to stay out of the spotlight discussing firearms.

I've only been hit over the head once in my life with a gun, or threatened with a gun. That experience changed my perspective on CCW, firearms, and ammunition selection.
I'm asking a specific question:
have you ever been confronted by an armed robber, intruder, or, had to fire on such a person?
If so, how did that experience affect your choice of calibers?

There is an old saying about hunting in Africa,

"Once you are among them, there is NEVER enough gun!"

I'm wondering for those of you that have faced firearms, and been in situations that might require, or did require, deadly force, if those situations altered your view of firearms for CCW, and if so, how?

Thank you

Socrates

PS Have a Merry Christmas, and, a Happy New Year

revjen45
December 24, 2006, 03:24 PM
I have had 3 times when I thought I might have to use a gun against a human. Twice I had a .22 mag derringer and you bet I wished I had more gun. The other time I had a .38 5-shot snubbie- not sure I was under attack, but the mental alarm bells were ringing. Had my hand on it, did not draw.

oldbillthundercheif
December 24, 2006, 03:31 PM
Almost 15 years ago I was brutally assaulted by a very large, very intoxicated man with a pair of nunchucks...

I used to carry a hi-power in those days but now carry a 1911. The hi-power saved my skin without firing a shot but perhaps a .45 in my hand would have been slightly more comforting in that situation...

I didn't put much thought into it, but I do carry a bigger gun now so I guess the experience could have influenced my decision.

Dwight55
December 24, 2006, 08:27 PM
If this would have been a poll, . . . I would have said no. I bought my first handgun in Saigon, . . . a 1911, . . . .45ACP, . . . and there ain't a diamondback in the desert southwest that could rattle worse than that thing.

But, . . . it went bang every time I wanted it to, . . . got used to it, . . . still think it is THE handgun for CCW, . . . though I'm sitting here right now with my Bersa Thunder .380 on, . . . it is my alternate.

All the forum war stories in the world cannot replace the good feeling of knowing you got a 1911 watching your six.

May God bless,
Dwight

tony pasley
December 24, 2006, 09:29 PM
Starting carring a 1911a1 in Dec. 1969, then in 1991 started carring a Colt Double Eagle 45 acp 5" and when it is not on me the 1911a1 is.

Socrates
December 24, 2006, 09:42 PM
Just got done reading this thread
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_156_26/ai_82533205

I see the progression in his weapon choices...

S

cochise
December 24, 2006, 10:02 PM
I have been in the line of fire. Been in jail, Indiana, Kentucky, and Florida. Aquited and no felony arrest on my record. ;)

Oh yea, I always............. always.......... carry two guns.

orionengnr
December 24, 2006, 10:23 PM
Good read...a tad melodramatic, but that's what paid writers do.

Doesn't change the message.

If you are a Rolex salesman in Dirtbagville, you may need five SIGS.

Evaluate your circumstances, your risk, and your choices. Nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution (paranoia, some might say) ;)

Oh, by the way....I love a happy ending. :)

Merry Christmas, Rich

skeeter1
December 24, 2006, 11:58 PM
I had a .22 mag derringer and you bet I wished I had more gun. The other time I had a .38 5-shot snubbie

Yes, I have a .22 Mag derringer, and think my .38Spl snubby would be the first one I'd grab for HD. In the highly-unlikely event that i needed more, I'd get out one of the SxS doubles with #4 Magnum buckshot. The .357 Magnum rifle would probably work well, too.

I no longer carry, and all I'm concerned about is HD.

robertbank
December 25, 2006, 12:29 AM
My Norinco Commander in .45acp does it for me. Full size I go with a Para SSP in the same caliber.

Take Care

Bob

tegemu
December 25, 2006, 08:16 AM
45 years of Naval Service pretty well decided me on the 1911.

firemedic1975
December 25, 2006, 12:14 PM
Some people like to have the bigger bullet such as .45 acp....other thoughts on the subject is that it's better to have more bullets that you get in the lower caliber such as 9mm.....I think that it just depends on the person and their personal beliefs. I have alot of freinds that aere cops and most of them say they would rather have more bullets than bigger bullets.

tshadow6
December 25, 2006, 09:20 PM
As a guy who once drew his weapon to prevent an escape, I relized the best weapon is the one you have with you. Get a good quality weapon and practice with it. A carry permit won/t hurt either.

Socrates
December 26, 2006, 02:40 AM
firemedic1975
I am NOT intrested in opinion. I'm asking a specific question:
have you ever been confronted by an armed robber, intruder, or, had to fire on such a person?

I'm asking for specific, real experiences, and your observations of how the gun, and caliber worked, and, what conclusion you drew from it.?

I'm not intrested in some hearsay evidence from your friends. I've got a long list of top friends in the firearms industry, ammunition designers, gun designers, and cartridge designers, that know far more about the effects of teriminal ballistics, then police officers that draw their guns twice a year, and use what my friends tell them to use, since they buy for the departments.
S

Crosshair
December 26, 2006, 04:18 AM
I am looking at the practical standpoint of carrying what I can conceal. In the summer where I live it gets very hot, meaning there is no way you are gona hide a Hi-Power or 1911 on your person. Winter is another matter, there you can carry whatever you want.

Personaly I have it narrowed down a few for my basic carry. These are guns that I currently own.

Bersa 380 - Feeds and ejects 100%. Sometimes it will FTF, but I think that is an ammo issue. The gun is DA/SA so I just hit the round again at the range. Need to test more.

Old (Bought it using my C&R) H&R American 38 S&W - 100% reliable, small and easy to conseal, nickel plated for corrosion (sweat) resistance. Sure it only holds 5 shots and it takes about 30 seconds to reload, but I am confident with it and I can carry it when nothing else will fit. I can literaly slip it into my pocket and go about my business.

Old Model Charter Arms Bulldog, 44 Special - Nice gun, reliable, hard hitting caliber. Looking to buy a new model in stainless because the bluing will not stand up to my summer sweat. Would be my perfered carry gun if I could get one in stainless.

Taurus 94 22 LR - Load it with some 60 grain SSS ammo for better short range performance, 9 shot, seems to be easier to conseal on me than other guns. Need sweat resistant holster for summer months.

Browning Hi-Power - Needs new extractor, but will be considered once it is repaired. Will need a good holster to be able to carry it in the summer though.

We can all find faults in our or others choice in carry weapons. Fact is that we all can't carry a bazooka in our pants. I normaly carry a good knife in addition to my carry gun because where I live you can have a knife on your belt loop without anyone taking notice. It is more easily accessible and gives you options in a confrontation.

Socrates
December 26, 2006, 08:49 AM
Crosshairs:
"War Stories: How have they affected your choice of CCW firearms,bullet selection?"
I'm asking a specific question:

S

azredhawk44
December 26, 2006, 04:57 PM
I was confronted once by a guy who had ambitions of being a carjacker near Rural Road and the Loop 101 in Tempe, AZ, several years ago.

I was comforted by having a large chunk of american steel at my commmand. I aimed my big hunk of steel at him and punched the trigger, sending 4500 pounds of car right at him.

Didn't draw my gun at all. Who needs a pipsqueek 45acp when you got a GM?

Socrates
December 26, 2006, 06:56 PM
azredhawk44:
It's funny, but, using the car, in our state is a much better idea then using a gun to defend yourself.:D

S

Glockoma
December 31, 2006, 03:28 AM
Why, I'd never do such a blatantly illegal thing myself, but I knew a guy who used to carry in Kalifornica, especially when working near a (particularly) nasty part of Oakland. Never had to fire, thankfully. He preferred availability and concealment above all, and this suggested the use of tiny autos.

Something like the KelTec .32 is so small, you can wrap your hand around one in a jacket pocket and no one is the wiser that you've got a gun at all, much less one that's essentially ready to fire. The right garment, perhaps modified, could even let you fire it from inside the pocket without catching the slide, or to extend your hand through a slit in the pocket. In low light, you may be able to draw a tiny auto without the BG realizing you've got a gun, since it's so small compared to your hand. "Here's my wallet!" ... wallet indeed.

Especially in a state hostile to self-defense and the Bill of Rights, you might think twice about carrying a large handgun when you have no CCW, but you don't print with a .32 with a reasonable garment. This ease of carry and the speed of deployment gets the nod over something like the G19, which my friend - who oddly enough seems to share a fondness for Glocks - otherwise likes rather a lot.

Walter
December 31, 2006, 11:39 PM
All the forum war stories in the world cannot replace the good feeling of knowing you got a 1911 watching your six.

May God bless,
Dwight

Amen!

Walter