PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try these shells?

Maser
December 16, 2006, 02:05 PM
http://www.firequest.com/catalog/flashthundermoreinfo.html

I got a Firequest magazine in the mail last week and I been really intrigued by these shells. Anyone try these yet? Are they worth the price?

banditt007
December 16, 2006, 06:46 PM
wait you live in cali right? you can rule those out.

No J/K actually i wouldnt be surprised if you couldnt have them. Anyhow, they sound cool, but at about $7 a pop no thanks. FWIW i've seen similar shotgun ammo on gun broker and other places for a good deal less than $20 for 3 of them.

kozak6
December 16, 2006, 08:41 PM
They don't sound that cool. I mean, they're just blanks.

Do you know anyone who reloads shotshells? You could have him load up some blanks with slow burning powder (for extra muzzle flash), and they sure as hell won't cost $6 a shot.

Diggers
December 16, 2006, 08:49 PM
Says it gives off 182dB. Isn't that right around what a 12ga puts out anyhow?

There is a lot of weird 12ga ammo out there. (One shoots our a huge fireball some how.) Probably best not to test any of these out in a gun you like.

Ruger4570
December 16, 2006, 09:30 PM
I really doubt they will improve any of my scores in the clay sports. Even if I do bling the score keeper and my buddies. What a waste of money.. P.T. Barnum was right...

Maser
December 16, 2006, 11:43 PM
Says it gives off 182dB. Isn't that right around what a 12ga puts out anyhow?

No, I think a standard 12 gauge load is like only 120 db.

The thing that intrigues me so much is that them types of shells are just what I been looking for. See, my friends and I make short movies. I was toying with the idea of using blanks loaded with flashpower to give a brighter flash and louder report. I just don't know if I trust flashpowder enough because of the insanly quick burn rate it has.

RsqVet
December 17, 2006, 02:19 AM
Um last time I was at sportsmen's they had 12 ga blanks there... any blank in my experiance puts out a heck of a flash --- I can start fires with the 22 power blanks I have out of a pistol... louder might not be better with all the problmes of recording and echo and so forth... in short I'd try the cheap ones first.

FirstFreedom
December 17, 2006, 02:43 PM
Well, the ad is misleading since there's nothing "grenade" about them - i.e. there is no explosion at range, removed from you, the shooter. I wouldn't buy anything from a company that chooses to use false or misleading advertising to sell its products. 182 is a LOT louder than a normal shotgun. Since it's not removed, YOU are going to bear the brunt and suffer the hearing loss - not a good idea. Junk, IMO.

45reloader
December 17, 2006, 07:48 PM
An AR 15 is around 180 dbs

It's not that loud.
But is loud enough indoors to cause permanent hearing loss for everyone, even you.

kozak6
December 17, 2006, 08:33 PM
Keep in mind that if you are making a short movie, blanks are still dangerous due to the high pressure gas and potential wad pieces.

Flash powder would be extremely dangerous to reload a shell with. The burn rate is probably too quick and would blow up the gun.

For muzzle flash, you need slow burning powder.

It just seems a shame to pay $6 a shot for misleadingly advertised ammo.

Maybe you could visit the trap range and see if you could find someone willing to load some blanks for you.

Maser
December 17, 2006, 08:45 PM
The blanks I normally use are made with homemade blackpowder. Very quick burn rate and give off a pretty decent report, but seeing as it's blackpowder it's a pain to clean and makes way too much smoke. It would be great if my the movies I made were old western style, but they are not.

I do have a very good friend who's an older gentleman who does special 12 gauge loads for me such as double slugs. I'm sure I can get him to load me up some smokeless powder blanks.

I still want to try out them shells in the link I posted. Will wait until I set aside a bit of extra money though. My baby boy uses formula now and that stuff is rather expensive even with my 15% discount. Until then, if anyone here decides to try them before I do then please let me know how they were.

Ruger4570
December 19, 2006, 05:37 PM
I have a buddy that does work for the movie people for special effects. Almost all the time you see someone shooting at another person it is at a safe distance, or they do a cut when the gun goes off and splice the two pieces together looking as though they were shooting directly at someone. Hollywood may be crazy,, but they have learned it isn't safe to shoot anything towards someone. But then we all know it is all smoke, mirors and illusion.