PDA

View Full Version : A Very Sad Story from My Town

gvf
December 8, 2006, 02:24 AM
I hate to bring up these sad stories (THIS is tragic), but in that "second" so much can happen. Yesterday in my home town, training or not, police or not, it dosen't always turn out right at the end:

Wounded officer may be paralyzed

SPINE SEVERED FROM SHOT FIRED BY TEEN
Injured partner who tackled suspect is in fair condition

By MAKI BECKER, VAN and ESSA THOMAS JAY REY
News Staff Reporters
12/7/2006

Officer Patricia A. Parete, clinging to life Wednesday night after her spine was severed by a bullet, is described by fellow cops as vibrant and "not one to walk away from a police call."

Patricia A. Parete - one of two Buffalo police officers shot Tuesday night - was fighting for her life late Wednesday, her spine severed by a bullet fired by a teenager who was on probation.

If Parete survives, she likely will be paralyzed from the neck down.

"If she lives, she's probably going to be a quadriplegic," said a fellow officer who spoke on condition of anonymity. "I'm just so angry right now. It's horrible."

Sources also told The Buffalo News that police believe Varner Harris Jr., 18, who police say confessed to the shootings, opened fire on Parete and her partner, Officer Carl E. Andolina, because he feared being sent to prison now that he is of legal age and no longer eligible for youthful offender status.

Parete, the first female Buffalo police officer shot in the line of duty, was listed in serious condition late Wednesday night, while Andolina was in fair condition. Both are in Erie County Medical Center.

Tuesday night, Parete and Andolina were riding together on a special detail downtown investigating a rash of car break-ins. At 9:01 p.m., they were dispatched to a Valero gas station on the corner of Chippewa Street and South Elmwood Avenue, where a fight had been reported.

The officers spotted Harris running from the scene and chased him in their cruiser.

They got out of their patrol car and ordered Harris to turn around and take his hands out of his pockets.

They didn't know until too late that Harris was carrying a gun.

Harris "knew once the gun was found that he would go back to jail and finish his time and he wouldn't be a young offender anymore," a police source said. "He'd be going to the men's jail."

Harris began shooting at the two officers, nearly emptying the gun, as Andolina tackled him to the ground.

Neither officer discharged a weapon.

Parete was hit twice. Her bulletproof vest blocked a round aimed at her chest, but a second bullet pierced her face and ripped apart her spine.

As Andolina tackled Harris, he was hit three times - in the neck, arm and chest, protected by his vest.

"Andolina charged at him and took him to the ground," Police Commissioner H. McCarthy Gipson said at a morning news conference at ECMC. "He physically charged at an individual who was firing at him at point-blank range. He charged at a blazing gun."

At the news briefing, Mayor Byron W. Brown commended Andolina's "heroic actions."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't believe they don't pay be these guys and girls, and firemen also, an honorable risk-adjusted salary........disgusting, and the cities are the worst. New York, for all its wealth, pays its cops and firemen at a level they have all long ago had to move out of Manhattan to make ends meet. How could they afford to live there? Just good enough they save lives there, as far as actually being able to live with those from Manhattan, forget it.

King_chin0
December 8, 2006, 02:30 AM
It is truely tragic, hope a miracle will happen, these are heros IMO

gdvan01
December 8, 2006, 02:33 AM
...and the 18 year old sh*tbag should be publicly shot.

Blackwater OPS
December 8, 2006, 02:41 AM
Terrible stuff.

Let's have respect and no monday morning quarterbacking.

skeeter1
December 8, 2006, 03:40 AM
That's tragic, and I'll say a prayer for her.

I know the punks with their 9mms have killed the Flats entertianment district here in Cleveland, and why I won't go there any more.

Someday, my suburb might have the same problem. I don't know what I'll do after that.

gvf
December 8, 2006, 03:52 AM
I read reports she was a lovely person, to the famlies and kids she came across in her work, "motherly" toward many she interacted with in this tough part of town. Not just "the tough cop", but someone who cared.......hope a miracle does happes. Reports also have her partner blaming himself for not saving her, thoguh he went face-first into a hail of bullets to try. lordy..we can't dream how that would effect us all our lives, out of the blue on an awful night like that.

Best be greatful for what we have...

38splfan
December 8, 2006, 05:09 AM
It's a bit fortitous that this was in the tactics and training forum. I've recently been researching incedents like this, and rethinking my carry equipment and training.
I've always been a revolver guy, and I've always thought that my duty training (military) and personal range time would be enough. I also rarely carry reloads, considering 6rds of .44Spl enough for "fight or flight" situations.

A recent increase in incidents like this, especially near my new hometown (Seattle/Tacoma) make me realize it is no longer enough. I'm going to start shooting IDPA when I get home for practical experience. I'm looking at either a higher capacity revolver or an Auto, and I will definitely be carrying at least one reload at all times.

God bless this officer and her partner, now let's see what happens to this little scum-sucking wretch when he does 25 to life with bubba in the top bunk.:mad:

marlboroman84
December 8, 2006, 07:12 AM
That's horribly sad. I hope she pulls through. Maybe a Christmas miracle is in order. :( I truly don't understand people in this world. I truly don't.

gak1
December 8, 2006, 08:10 AM
Sad that he does an attempted robbery with armed co-horts and all he gets is probation. If he would've gotten 10 years, attempted robbery with a weapon etc, that lady would still be able to walk. Im sure her spouse and/or familly is thrilled.

Up here we recently had a murderer released after two years. Pled insanity, watched TV and ate pizza in the hospital for two years, and he's free to go. None of the politicians or judges care because they all live in mansions with 24/7 armed guards.

gdvan01
December 8, 2006, 08:24 AM
Can you say "The Star Chamber" ?

...naturally, I don't condone such things.

jfrey123
December 8, 2006, 02:53 PM
That's really sad to hear. I hope this kid gets the book thrown at him for trying to murder two cops.

That second officer has some great big brass ones swingin between his legs... Charging a guy who shoots you three times... All I can say is wow, and could you imagine the look on the kids face after he fires and still sees the cop coming?!

Bigfatts
December 8, 2006, 02:59 PM
Good luck and God bless officers Parete and Andolina and their families.

V4Vendetta
December 8, 2006, 03:49 PM
:( . This world is lousy sometimes. I hope they both recover fully.

mvpel
December 8, 2006, 03:52 PM
Sad that he does an attempted robbery with armed co-horts and all he gets is probation. If he would've gotten 10 years, attempted robbery with a weapon etc, that lady would still be able to walk. Im sure her spouse and/or familly is thrilled.

Well, you know, the DA's have to keep their numbers up, and the jails are so overcrowed with nonviolent drug offenders, he's really a good kid at heart and just made a "mistake," blah blah blah. :barf: :barf: :barf:

Eghad
December 8, 2006, 04:00 PM
I wonder how a person can come to the conclusion that he can avoid jail or prision by shooting at a law enforcment officer? That is practically guarenteeing you get an express ticket to prison.

stephen426
December 8, 2006, 05:30 PM
That really sucks! I hope she pulls through and beats the odds. Shooting the kid publicly is too kind a punishment. Too bad cruel and unusual punishment is illegal since that is what that punk did to the officer if she survives as a quadrapalegic (not to mention the pain caused to the officer's family).

While I can understand an officer's hesitance to shoot a "young" person, I think this kind of case fully demonstrates that officer's must meet the threat level no matter who may be holding the gun. I feel very bad for the officer and the families, but this might lead to a change in protocol and save a few lives. When responding to the scene of a crime, I would draw my weapon first. There are no guarantees that it would have made a difference here, but I certainly would not tackle a guy who was shooting at me. He would get a very quick "trial by fire".

This kind of thing makes me sick. Mods... Do you think TFL can do something like take up a collection for the officer and her family?

AR15FAN
December 8, 2006, 08:12 PM
Its so sad for the officers, who get crucified when they shoot, but have to take fire first. Where is the protest over the police officers being shot? Where is the community outrage for their families? Its so unfair when no political hay can be made the politicians are all silent.....
Hillary? Bloomberg? Sharpton? Jackson? I guess its more important when an idiot like Michael (Kramer) Richards says stupid racist stuff, that makes headlines. Where are our priorities?

hpg
December 8, 2006, 08:36 PM
Afraid of going back to jail? So instead, I'lll kill 2 Officers and get off scott free? What an idiot...........hpg

Mike in VA
December 8, 2006, 10:54 PM
What I want to know is, who is the dikweed judge that let him off early and why is s/he still (if s/he is) in office? May the wheels of justice crush him [painfullly] to pulp.

gvf
December 8, 2006, 11:34 PM
I posted the original story. Our paper today had a fuller account.

Apparently, they were close together, all 3, 2 cops + BG, and the BG shot (.38) the woman-officer twice, immediately from drawing from his pocket. Her partner just grabbed around the BG while he was firing. Must have been the only way (he's a huge cop) possible to try and protect her and him immediately with them so close to the shooter.

He was shot 3 times as he just kept on squeezing the BG for dear life until they finally toppled over, the cop managing to throw all his weight while bleeding on top of the BG and smothering him underneath He said he could hear the gun, empty now, clicking over and over again. By then the first other cops raced in and cuffed the BG, while the big cop yelled to help his partner.

The male cop is better and was released home with a .38 still in his neck, to wait for the swelling to lessen and then they will decide what's next. His partner can occasionally recognize others, but as was already said, has a crushed spinal column at her neck apparently.

Headlines in the paper today were all about this. Glad the community is making a big one out of this.

An interesting side-light, (which so far no politician has mentioned), is that the only reason it wasn't worse for either one was that they were on a special assignment which allowed them to have a partner in the car together. A year ago, we went to single-officer cars here, much to the opposition of the rank and file cops. How'd you like to face nights like THIS by yourself?

stephen426
December 9, 2006, 12:50 AM
I hate to say it, but these are the kinds of things that make good cops want to shoot first and ask questions later. Rather than go to jail, some punk would rather try and kill 2 police officers??? The male officer heard the revolver continue to click after he tackled the bad guy? That makes me madder than hell. :barf:

gvf,

Thanks for posting the update. I wasn't trying to be an internet commando when I said that I would rather shoot than tackle the bad guy. The reason given makes sense, but I'd much rather be firing back at the scum bag. Then again, the cope was reported to be a big guy and my measely 160 lbs. wouldn't do much. Time to eat a few more donuts :eek: :p . Just Kidding. Its good to hear that he is alright and I really hope his partner pulls through.

locknid
December 9, 2006, 06:25 AM
I can't stand to see officer involved shootings where the officer ends up getting hurt. I have no respect for the scumbags who think they are above they law, or because they don't want to go to prison so they try whatever possible and escape. I would think that people would realize after watching enough cops, wildest police videos, etc that no matter what you eventually get caught. There is no punishment on earth which is good enough for cop killers, everyone of them should be made an example of, i say bring back public hangings just for people who kill cops. I have no respect for anyone that can even remotely think of taking another person's life for their stupid reasoning. argghhhh it makes me mad that now this officer's life is ruined because some POS didn't want to accept what he did, sad thing is most criminals cant accept the fact that what they do is illegal and they will eventually be caught, they should be a little more graceful if arrested and accpet the good arrest by the officer. I am pro-gun but then there are times like this when I question myself because I see how they can ruin good people's lives also.

firemedic1975
December 9, 2006, 06:11 PM
That is why I am a firefighter and not a policeman, because I would want to shoot people like that kid.:D

orionengnr
December 9, 2006, 07:00 PM
I am pro-gun but then there are times like this when I question myself because I see how they can ruin good people's lives also.

The gun did not do this. Guns have existed for hundreds of years.

Touchy-feely idiots, widespread lack of acccountability for one's actions, damn-fool DAs and judges, combined with society making excuses for the "poor misunderstood yout" is what causes this.

Many of us carry guns 24/7, year in, year out, and would never dream of using a gun in a criminal manner.

Think about it.

chris in va
December 10, 2006, 01:09 AM
I'll be so effin' glad when they figure out how to repair a spinal cord. My mother was an OT and had to work with para/quads along with stroke victims.

Daves-got-guns
December 10, 2006, 02:13 AM
this kind of thing is bad. Really bad. I'm not gonna try to specify how bad it is, but it is damn near christmas and some pos kid with a record decided to empty his gun at cops who are just doing their job. My opinion, and this was really good torture in the medievl days, is to hang him upside down by his feet and let all the blood rush to his head. Believe it or not they usually last for a few days maybe a week and they'll literally go insane for a time or so ive heard. Prison bunk mates arent enough, even though getting the ole cornhole treatment for however short of a stint hes in there, i say short cause no matter what they do its not harsh enough. I can barely see shooting another person in self defense, and this guy unloads on cops. I say they kill him, donate his body to medical research. Hell do medical research on him while hes still alive idc i think hes forfeited the right to be treated humanely.