PDA

View Full Version : Getting in shape to better handle stressful situations

Freetacos
November 2, 2006, 04:37 PM
Usually, people who exercise have increased coordination and an increased ability to handle stressful situations. The heart can pump blood and oxygen more quickly and efficiently in a fit person than in a couch potato. Thus, being fit seems to be not only good for one's health but a benefit to one's reaction time and composure. What kind of exercise routine do you have?

pickpocket
November 2, 2006, 05:53 PM
Crossfit.

DanV1317
November 2, 2006, 06:02 PM
as much as working out is good, the diet is what really makes or breaks your workouts. If you dont lose weight, you wont be making the gains in your running that you could and if you dont eat the right foods, gaining muscle mass/strength is going to be very hard.

Break your 3 meals a day into 6 meals and eat half of that meal each time. Just by eating more frequently and less each meal, you'll start losing weight. Then adjust the foods you usually ate in those 3 meals to clean foods and you'll be on your way to some awesome gains.

paknheat
November 2, 2006, 07:42 PM
I try to vary my excercise routines as much as possible. I use body weight routines, and a Bowflex machine as well as heavy dumbells for strength. I practice Haganah 2-3 times a week. Cardio is on a treadmill, or walking in the neighborhood. I also try to incoperate dry fire drills with my HD pistol, rifle and shotgun at times.Crossfit is an excellent source for routines also.

Arizona Fusilier
November 2, 2006, 08:55 PM
Right now, I'm only running about 3 to 4 miles a day. I've had some issues with my hand/arm, so I have left out strength training for quite some time. I'm about to get back into it, though.

tony pasley
November 2, 2006, 10:17 PM
I have 2 more cords of wood to split, brush to clear off 2 acres, gravel to spread, target stands to dig and set in cement, not to mention the repair and improvement list. My workout is hard labor.

KYmxracer52
November 2, 2006, 11:02 PM
I have 2 more cords of wood to split, brush to clear off 2 acres, gravel to spread, target stands to dig and set in cement, not to mention the repair and improvement list. My workout is hard labor.

Sounds a lot like my exercise regiment!!!

Freetacos
November 2, 2006, 11:36 PM
some of us work in cubicles

Dino.
November 3, 2006, 11:33 AM
some of us work in cubicles

Yeah ... that would be me too. :o

I do take Taekwondo with my son twice a week and try to practice with him as often as possible though. :)

tony pasley
November 3, 2006, 07:56 PM
Well I have a spare axe, several shovels, plenty of rakes. The wheelbarrel has good handles come on down there is good food and a wonderful target range, 2 good rocking chairs on the porch and always a coffee pot on, mountian living at its best

Hard Ball
November 4, 2006, 08:54 PM
I work out 3 times a week at a local health club.

Alex45ACP
November 4, 2006, 10:16 PM
Lift weights 3 days a week, train in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 4-5 days a week.

Abby
November 4, 2006, 10:52 PM
I run 3-4 miles about 5x per week. I'm not setting any land speed records, but I DO feel better and more alert.

Glenn Bartley
November 4, 2006, 11:09 PM
Walk, run, weight train.

4V50 Gary
November 4, 2006, 11:43 PM
Bicycle daily. Can't run and too cheap to join a gym.

Jamie Young
November 5, 2006, 12:04 AM
I see a chiropractor (am I spelling that right?).

JohnKSa
November 5, 2006, 12:26 AM
Improving your strength and stamina will help your shooting.

clt46910
November 5, 2006, 12:36 AM
I have coffee every morning...and always keep an emergency cup in my pocket.

Seriously, while you will handle stress better if you are in good physical shape, it is not the whole story or even the best answer.

Training and knowledge is your best bet for handling stressful situations.

Makarov The Lucky
November 26, 2006, 12:52 AM
Im a health freak, a weight lifting nut and a boxer. So obviously I am in pretty good shape. And its true it does help alot in my opinion.

saypek
November 27, 2006, 05:40 AM
I smoke 1 pack of marlboro a day, drink through most of the week, eat lots of fatty meat, and stay up late everyday. I also work in a cubicle. I wonder what i'll do in stressful situations :confused: :D

marlboroman84
November 27, 2006, 06:13 AM
I've always kinda been like Bruce Willis in the Die Hard movies. I defy the laws of fitness lol. I,like Saypek, smoke (not near a pack a day though), eat pretty unhealthy usually, and do not have a regular workout routine, but I'm in really good shape lol. My job is pretty physical so that helps, but I do lift weights and do push ups and sit ups whenever I can. I'm just not a health nut.

I think it definitely helps though. Plus being in better shape gives you a better ground in a physical confrontation as well.

Makarov The Lucky
November 27, 2006, 11:40 PM
I gotta had on to what I said earlier...and say that before I worked out I was really small and I would shake alot. (This is when I had just started shooting, I was about 11.) I could hardly shoot a .38 because I had no muscle to handle the recoil and my nerves would just go haywire because I got so excited. After I started liftin weights for a few months I started shootin alot more and got really comfortable with it. I started shootin a .45 like it was an air soft gun. I would definetely say that it helps. ;) lol.

November 28, 2006, 06:33 AM
I do 20 to 60 minutes of cardio work, then an hour or so of weight lifting, about six days a week. I've been doing it for years, and feel great most of the time.

I also force myself to do abdominal and lower back excersises every day. I used to be a "once a week patient" at the chiropractor, but since I started this - it's been well over a year since my last visit. My back has never been better.