PDA

View Full Version : Question about LTL ammunition

Coltpale
October 13, 2006, 12:43 PM
I own a winchester 1300 12 gauge pump-action shotgun that I have been modifying into a home defense shotgun. Ive been trying to decide what kind of ammunition to go with (I dont really wanna kill or seriously injure the intruder, because I wanna see him/her rot in jail); then I read about this "less than lethal" munition where the load is a beanbag, or pepperspray balls. Does anyone know where I could purchase some of these?

oldbillthundercheif
October 13, 2006, 12:47 PM
This is about to get ugly. I posted a simmilar question a while back and augmented it with humerous (to me) sarcasm...

Nobody got the joke and nobody here thinks LTL devices have any place in the civilian's arsenal. Except pepper-spray, or course.

I still want a pepperball gun, though :)

MD_Willington
October 13, 2006, 12:47 PM
I dont really wanna kill or seriously injure the intruder

Then you need to look into getting something other than a shotgun for home defense.

Taking a rubber ball or wooden dowel from a shotgun to the face or neck has in some cases done just that.

Coltpale
October 13, 2006, 12:53 PM
then you need to look into getting something other than a shotgun for home defense.
what exactly do you suggest than for home defense?

and for the recored a ltl load has alot less chance of killing an intruder than say buck shot

mfree
October 13, 2006, 01:02 PM
Coltpale,

I really don't think that a .72" rubber ball penetrating your heart will damage you much less than a .72 foster slug penetrating your heart.

LTLs are for riot control and should be left to just that; they're designed to be fired at a general area some 30-50 yards away. Hit someone at in-house distance and I don't care what that 300 grain projectile at 800fps is made of, it could be navel lint it's still going to injure seriously or kill.

If you want to treat someone who's invading your home with kid gloves, by all means feel free. You just can't do it with a shotgun. Get yourself a taser and a will.

Coltpale
October 13, 2006, 01:07 PM
If you want to treat someone who's invading your home with kid gloves, by all means feel free. You just can't do it with a shotgun. Get yourself a taser and a will.

I think I may of found the best solution

The eXtended Range Electro-Muscular Projectile (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/computing/20060221-1515-tasershotgun.html)

a couple problems though, don't know if its available to the public, and if it is how much it costs

oldbillthundercheif
October 13, 2006, 01:15 PM
That gizmo is years away from being available to the military, much less civilians. And, knowing how Taser has operated in the past, it will probably take 10 or 15 years of law-enforcement use of the product before they offer it to everyone.

And then it will cost a $100 or more a shot, probably...

Coltpale
October 13, 2006, 01:33 PM
That gizmo is years away from being available to the military, much less civilians. And, knowing how Taser has operated in the past, it will probably take 10 or 15 years of law-enforcement use of the product before they offer it to everyone.

And then it will cost a $100 or more a shot, probably...

according to the article the shell will be in law inforcment hands by next year, it should'nt take long for it to be availble to the public after that. as far as cost goes it could be one expensive shell

oldbillthundercheif
October 13, 2006, 03:27 PM
You need to read your own link again. Nowhere does it give any definate time-frame for the release of this product. It does have a quote at the end though: “We're nowhere near a production level yet.”

They say that they HOPE they can release it sometime in 2007, but it's an Office of Naval Research project so if you think LEOs are going to see it anytime soon you are sadly mistaken.

They have not even been able to get it to latch onto someone yet. All of the tests have applied the device in a non-ballistic manner.

faust
October 13, 2006, 10:06 PM
OT, but about the taser, i never figured out what exactly you're supposed to do after you tase the intruder. I mean, the hit lasts a few seconds, immobilizes the guy, and he gets up, probably really ****** off. You can zap him again, but that battery is going to run out before the police get there.

The police use it to subdue people, *then* handcuff them and lock them up. I'm not willing to try that particular move on an armed intruder.

As for the shotgun, if you're not willing to kill in self-defense, don't get a gun.