PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist and strangers

User14
October 12, 2006, 06:47 PM
I just had someone impersonate a cop in a phony buy on criagslist. Apparentyl he had his phone stolen and was going vigilante to get it back. When meeting a stranger, I will always be at alert. Gun, knife, spray, phone, vest. Never give any information. You will get harrassed. Always meet at a lit public pace. Have snipers posted. OK, not that far!

tony pasley
October 12, 2006, 06:48 PM
Why not that far?

Wildalaska
October 12, 2006, 07:11 PM
Gun, knife, spray, phone, vest. Never give any information. You will get harrassed. Always meet at a lit public pace.

Just because you are paranoid doesnt mean folks arent out to get you.

WildindeedAlaska

marlboroman84
October 12, 2006, 09:03 PM
User14 you may want to read this.... http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205313

This post is extremely off topic for T&T, probably for any part of this forum. Most of us are pretty friendly and welcoming around here, but there is a certain "expectation" shall we say, on TFL and these types of posts aren't really up to that expectation.

Not trying to be mean, just kinda letting you know what most of the moderators around here are gonna tell you in advance.

bclark1
October 12, 2006, 09:11 PM
i don't necessarily think this is off-topic, as it harks to bigger things.

i did a face-to-face transfer once, on the away field. it was illinois, so i can't carry. it was illinois, so we can't really show guns anywhere in public. we traded FOIDs in the guy's garage. his property, so he had his sidearm mexican carry, which he showed me once he determined i wasn't a threat. we both had the same thing in mind though, how it can be a tenuous situation when you're meeting someone in private for any sort of high-dollar transaction... or any situation where someone could foreseeably take advantage of you, even for a small amount. no critiques necessary for what i did, i know there are wiser ways of handling it. it was mere circumstance and the timing of it, knowing we'd never get the gun transferred if we waited for an afternoon we could both get to a range where things would be more straightforward.

anyway, it is an interesting thing to consider, the varying degrees of security in private business. the only rule of thumb i'd offer is just stick to nice neighborhoods. even if everything's fine, the burden of worry is not worth $50 less if it means driving to an area where you know you'll be at an increased risk.

marlboroman84
October 12, 2006, 09:19 PM
The only thing that could be derived as Tactics from this is that you should be alert, especially when meeting a stranger, maybe as a stretch the equipment mentioned, but I still don't know why you need all that stuff.:confused:

bclark1
October 12, 2006, 10:28 PM
touche, i think it was said for a chuckle, but it didn't strike me as completely goofy i guess.

User14
October 13, 2006, 08:40 AM
All I need to know is that I have not been locked yet. I am sick and tired of moderators with a god-complex!

User14
October 13, 2006, 08:43 AM
marlboroman84:
"User14 you may want to read this.... http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=205313

This post is extremely off topic for T&T, probably for any part of this forum. Most of us are pretty friendly and welcoming around here, but there is a certain "expectation" shall we say, on TFL and these types of posts aren't really up to that expectation.

Not trying to be mean, just kinda letting you know what most of the moderators around here are gonna tell you in advance."

An ellipsis is three dots. You also have run-on sentences. When telling people of expectations, I suggest you follow your own advice. I also suggest that you realize that people will bite back on a survivalist board.

User14
October 13, 2006, 08:44 AM
To bclark1:

Do not expect me to be on your side just because you agree with me. Please use proper capitalization.

Duxman
October 13, 2006, 08:48 AM
I must admit - I am a little leery of a FTF firearm transaction especially with strangers.

The only one I did turned out fine - but it was with a person in the board here who was a regular and had a great reputation. I was not worried about that one at all.

In most cases especially if you are going for a high dollar transaction - pay the $20-$30 bucks and go through an FFL. Its not worth the risk.

Or talk to the person before buying or bidding on the gun. And if your spidey sense goes off......definately do not go through with the transaction.

Not worth the risk in my book. :cool:

springmom
October 13, 2006, 09:12 AM
Oh, for heaven's sake. Yes, meet somewhere secure; take somebody with you. When I met another TFL'er recently to trade my XD for the Browning Hi-Power the hubster went along, as did youngest son, we met in a very well lit parking lot at 7 pm (more or less...traffic was bad, I was late) and our family went out to dinner after.

As I've said before, by being armed, I *gain* personal security. I don't have to run around like a paranoid prairie chicken scrutinizing every single person and sending anybody within 20 feet of me through a metal detector. I'm always in condition yellow, but not condition panic.

Reasonable precautions are always in order. Worrying about EVERYTHING is bad for you.

Springmom

v8unleashed
October 13, 2006, 09:24 AM
When I met another TFL'er recently to trade my XD for the Browning Hi-Power the hubster went along, as did youngest son,

If I went to meet what I thought was a PERSON for a FTF, and all of a sudden I was approached by PEOPLE, I would not consider it them just being safe. I would consider myself UNsafe.

springmom
October 13, 2006, 09:33 AM
He knew I was bringing my family.

Not only that, but one might think that a woman meeting a man in a parking lot alone should have her head examined. Are we not talking about SECURITY here???? That falls under the heading of "reasonable precautions".

And as we drove up, hubster was driving, and he rolled down his window and called out, "Hi, you must be....I'm ..... and this is Springmom." No reason for anybody to be concerned or worried, we had a nice talk, I got a good gun and he did too.

There are ways to use your head to minimize fear AND risk for everyone.

Springmom

Nigelcorn
October 13, 2006, 09:49 AM
User14, actually, I have read two of your topics that have been "locked." I believe that is what he is referring to.

"All I need to know is that I have not been locked yet. I am sick and tired of moderators with a god-complex!"

OneInTheChamber
October 13, 2006, 10:24 AM
I am sick and tired of moderators with a god-complex!

Except in this case you're getting ragged on by the "wanna-be" moderators. Why don't you people just let the mod's decide when something needs to be locked?

To me, this is a very relative topic. Security during a high dollar exchange is key. Too much puts the other person on defense, too little puts you in danger. You are meeting a complete stranger with each of you possessing items of value. You don't want to bring someone you don't know into your home; and neither do they want you in their home. Thus you meet on so called neutral ground; but this sets you up to be ambushed as that ground may indeed not be neutral. Deals involving firearms are even more sensitive, as the criminal element is always in need of illegaly obtained weapons.

Marlboroman, evidently you aren't that friendly or welcoming. My "expectation" of TFL is that people will remain civil. You failed that. You didn't need to post in this thread; you just wanted to put someone down. If the thread is inappropriate, the mods will take care of it; as referenced by the letter you posted.

User14
October 13, 2006, 10:45 AM
The item being sold was a cell phone, by the way.

User14
October 13, 2006, 10:50 AM
To: OneInTheChamber.

Thank you. My statement remains, however, that I trust nobody. I will turn on you faster than an AK47 cycles. I have had it up to *points above head* here with web boards. I have been banned from many--too many to count.

Some of this was my fault. However, I always sensed the god-complex in the moderators. I have found this board to be by far one of the best with regards to moderation. My threads were locked not so much because of me, but because of people attacking me!

To get to the point, it was a semi-valuable cell phone. $400-$500 range. I felt naked, in that the only thing I could rustle up was a box cutter, which I kept in my pocket. I didn't have to use it, but I felt quite unprepared.

springmom
October 13, 2006, 11:06 AM
There is, of course, always the option of shipping for non-firearms items. For small items, it's probably less hassle. Just a thought....

Springmom

oldbillthundercheif
October 13, 2006, 12:43 PM
Whenever I meet with folks to do private business transactions I try to have them meet me somewhere with a lot of highly-visible security cameras. There is one supermarket parking lot near my house that has a camera on every light-pole and they have little strobes on them to make them very noticable.

I don't see any reason to worry about getting banned, User14. This forum seems kosher for just about anyone as long as they don't curse or use unimaginative insults...

Wildalaska
October 13, 2006, 01:26 PM
My statement remains, however, that I trust nobody. I will turn on you faster than an AK47 cycles.

Dude that truly is scary. Maybe you should either rethink your lifestyle, or talk to someone about it:cool:

I have had it up to *points above head* here with web boards. I have been banned from many--too many to count.

Wonder why

WildsomeonehitthebuttononthisAlaska

bclark1
October 13, 2006, 02:17 PM
To bclark1:

Do not expect me to be on your side just because you agree with me. Please use proper capitalization.

to user14:

true survivalists do not have the time to use proper capitalization, as the added effort compromises their situational awareness. function over form, my friend.

end transmission.

hehe.

Trip20
October 13, 2006, 02:56 PM
Don't worry everyone. User14 is Cybert (http://thehighroad.org/member.php?u=36126) from THR coming here to start shinnanigans.

Read some of his posts over there. They're a real hoot.

bclark1
October 13, 2006, 03:38 PM
There is no tactical reason to destroy the deer.

best line ever. :D

Blackwater OPS
October 13, 2006, 04:37 PM
I get the feeling this guy is employed as a commander of a Rapid Tactical Force at one of America’s largest indoor retail shopping areas...:rolleyes:

CobrayCommando
October 13, 2006, 04:53 PM
He is a "eunuch survivalist" over on THR!

The mall ninja stalks the night, wearing four rifle plates duct taped to his chest and smoke grenades on his belt. Ninja climbing claws protrude from his Blackhawk brand tactical boots in desert fuschia.

Wildalaska
October 13, 2006, 05:02 PM
Didnt he have a Kevlar briefcase too to take cover while he fired with his NEF handi Rifle :)

WildneenjahAlaska

Leif
October 13, 2006, 05:08 PM
Gunkid free on the streets? :eek:

springmom
October 13, 2006, 05:23 PM
to user14:

true survivalists do not have the time to use proper capitalization, as the added effort compromises their situational awareness. function over form, my friend.

end transmission.

hehe.

I don't care who you are. THAT'S funny!!!!!

He is a "eunuch survivalist" over on THR!

The mall ninja stalks the night, wearing four rifle plates duct taped to his chest and smoke grenades on his belt. Ninja climbing claws protrude from his Blackhawk brand tactical boots in desert fuschia.

ROTFLMFHO!!!!!! Can't......breathe.......laughing....too.....hard....to.....count.......ellipses......

Springmom

Blackwater OPS
October 13, 2006, 05:29 PM
Hey, lets be fair, he really has to worry! I mean he is at a high risk of taking multiple .308 rounds to the back!

saypek
October 13, 2006, 08:23 PM
User14
I'm sorry man but TRULY, your posts are the weirdest i've ever seen here on TFL.

User14
October 13, 2006, 08:34 PM
Thanks, guys. Cameras are very good. I actually ended up doing a transaction at an electronics section of a story. They have a lot of cameras there. There were no problems. I had a boxcutter, but there were no issues. I was, however, able to cut into a lot of boxes :D .

Wildalaska
October 13, 2006, 08:36 PM
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek:

Wildearthtouser14earthtouser14comeinpleaseAlaska

User14
October 13, 2006, 08:36 PM
I am not gunkid!!! Dang it, it's an assault SHOPPING CART, not a WHEELBARROW. :D :D :D

saypek
October 13, 2006, 08:45 PM
Got it. He's DESPERATE for attention. :mad:
You need a girlfriend.

sayifyoucango5feetfromagirlwithoutpissingyourpantspek

User14
October 13, 2006, 08:56 PM
Girlfriend of 5 years. Any more questions?

User14
October 13, 2006, 08:58 PM
Gunkid is behind bars, anyway. Ding-dongs.

User14
October 13, 2006, 08:59 PM
The boots are actually black. Thanks anyway :D :D :D .

ffxmike
October 13, 2006, 09:36 PM
hey cybert...I mean user14...save up the thoughts for one post.

User14
October 13, 2006, 09:53 PM
Who is Cybert?

springmom
October 13, 2006, 10:15 PM
Hey guys... time to quit feeding him, he'll stop eventually. As long as we keep this up, he's going to keep boosting his post numbers and spouting goofiness.

Springthatiswhattheignorefunctionisformom

Capt Charlie
October 13, 2006, 11:01 PM
*sigh*

Closed, and if you have to ask...... :rolleyes: