PDA

View Full Version : kubotan training in Indianapolis?

Dr_2_B
October 4, 2006, 07:55 AM
Hi All,

Anyone know of kubotan training in Indianapolis. Believe it or not, I've looked pretty hard, but haven't found anything. I know it's out there. Any help?

azurefly
October 5, 2006, 12:59 AM
I ordered a DVD of kubotan techniques that features Mr. Kubota himself demonstrating.

Honestly -- and maybe I'm being naive and maybe I'm not -- there isn't too much covered in the videos or the enumerated techniques that doesn't seem pretty intuitive to me... Mostly different directions of swings, kind of like what they teach in arnisse classes (the different strokes of stick fighting, making crosses from high-right to low-left, high-left to low-right, low-left to high-right, low-right to high-left, and thrusting). Then there's the use of the kubotan on the wrist for submission holds...

I have not had the benefit of taking an actual hands-on class for kubotan, but I don't decline to carry mine just because I haven't. I still think I can use it to better effect than if I didn't have it at all.

-azurefly

Samurai
October 5, 2006, 05:54 PM
Kubotan is a supplemental weapon to almost all forms of empty-hand self-defense. The focus on striking and pressure-point techniques make it an ideal weapon for the serious empty-hand fighter. One of my instructors (actually, my instructor's instructor) in Isshin-Ryu Karate has developed quite a proficiency in kubotan techniques. (He's a bounty hunter.) He has demonstrated to (on?) me several techniques which were quite devastating to my advancing attack, yet which left no permanent damage.

For a while, we were running regular drills in kubotan techniques, but I never got the hang of it, myself. If you want to learn about it, look up some of the more street-based karate styles. I recommend Isshin-Ryu. It's quite a common style in America, you won't have trouble finding a school in Indianapolis, and the high-ranking guys should be savvy on most of the modern-day non-lethals.

azurefly
October 5, 2006, 06:11 PM
There was an Isshin Ryu dojo in my home town (Smithtown, NY). I knew a kid who ended up getting a black belt from there. My brother and I checked out that dojo, but went with a Shorin Ryu dojo instead (though I can't think of a particular reason why that decision was made -- it was long ago). I remember that the Isshin Ryu dojo taught a vertical fist punch as opposed to horizontal, as their regular punch. I thought that odd. Is that true across the board with Isshin Ryu?

I have never seen anyone practicing actual, real-world kubotan techniques against a full-on real attack. I don't know how well kubotan works in that sort of a case, and if it does, I have to imagine that the potential to leave no actual damage while still being effective would go way down, would it not?

I'm thinking of the way jiu jitsu techniques -- locks and holds and throws -- work great when it's you and your partner on a mat; but the moment someone -- even a partner -- tries to resist you and frustrate your "put-your-hand-there" step-by-step techniquing, it all goes to s#** and the move degenerates straight back into scuffling.

-azurefly

warwagon
October 5, 2006, 09:57 PM
In the Indy area, try the local dojos, and ask for sensi Smith.

He taught this as part of my training years ago, and even if he no longer teaches, someone will have picked up the baton.

It is not an everything weapon, some seem imune to the wrist take down for an example,but it is another tool to be considered.

Hope that I could help,

Blair

Samurai
October 9, 2006, 11:18 AM
Azurefly,

I was fortunate enough to attend a seminar put on by one Master Joseph Laney of the U.S. Isshin-Ryu Karate Association. When I looked at Master Laney standing there with the little metal stick in his hands, when he told me that he could arrest me using a single finger from my hand, I (thought really loudly) that he must be crazy. He might break my finger, but I'd surely be able to access a weapon and beat him down... Man was I WRONG!

No foolin'. I'm a skeptic-turned-believer. You would not BELIEVE how much pain can be inflicted by those little kubotans. Master Laney quickly demonstrated for us several finger-pinch techniques that he uses to bring in the REALLY violent perps. They are simple; he executed them on me without even raising his pulse. And, they make your whole BODY, from your finger straight down your spine, feel like it's in that hydraulic press from Terminator 1!

Your skepticism is quite justified. You wouldn't think a kubotan could be used as an effective non-lethal. But, when Master Laney returned me to my feet, my hand was completely unharmed! It was weird!

Anyway... Enough of my war-stories...

Mas Ayoob
October 10, 2006, 09:18 AM
If Rochester, Indiana isn't too far for you, Denny Reichard does a dynamite four-or-so hour Kubotan/Persuader course at The Sand Burr Gun Ranch there. (Cool little gun shop and range, too, and he does a GREAT S&W revolver action job.)