PDA

View Full Version : How Many Reloads do you carry?

Hard Ball
October 1, 2006, 10:58 AM
How many reloads do you carrt for your pistol?

None"

One?

Two?

Three?

Four?

More?

AirForceShooter
October 1, 2006, 11:00 AM
None.

AFS

CDH
October 1, 2006, 11:02 AM
Hardball; a decent question, but you should probably do an actual "Poll" thread in order to keep better track.

Carter

October 1, 2006, 12:06 PM
Since I load my own ammo, they're ALL reloads. :D

TexasCop
October 1, 2006, 03:16 PM
always depends, usually just doing "normal" ccw I carry what my pistol has in 1 mag, anywhere between 9 rounds and 18 rounds...

If I'm actually working plainclothes I'll carry at least 1 extra mag, usually 2.

If I'm travelling somewhere where I might be exposed to a higher threat level, I'll carry extra mags as needed.

tony pasley
October 1, 2006, 03:59 PM
1 spare mag, unless traveling then 2 or more

orionengnr
October 1, 2006, 04:18 PM
...as most of my CHL weapons hold 5-7 rounds.

Revolvers, one speed loader or one speed strip.

Semis, one spare mag.

On the rare occasions that I carry a Glock, maybe 1 spare mag, maybe none. Once again, rare.

jfrey123
October 1, 2006, 04:22 PM
Until I can get my ccw license, I'm only carrying in my car (glove box) and out in the desert (camping, hiking, etc). For the revolver in my car, it's loaded and I carry 12 extra rounds (no speed loaders yet though). When in the desert, it's either that revolver or my Glock 17 w/ factory hi-cap mags, in which case I carry one mag with Winchester Silvertips and 1-2 mags of my target load FMJ.

exprt9
October 1, 2006, 06:03 PM
None! Zero! Zip! Nada! If you are talking about reloaded ammo. If you are talking about spare mag for reload, none unless I'm heading to the bad part of town so at least one full mag.
For my Glock 27, a Glock 23 mag (13 rnds) for spare with the A&G spacer.
PT140 MilPro, one 10 round spare mag.
PT111 MilPro, one 12 rnd spare mag.
Beretta 92FC, one 15 rnd mag.
Colt 1911, one 8 rnd mag.
Colt Mustang Plus II, one 7 rnd mag.
P3AT, one 6 rnd mag.

marlboroman84
October 1, 2006, 06:07 PM
Normal walk around day to day- 10 rd 9mm in gun.

Higher threat level area-2 mags in carrier on weak side. Maybe a BUG if it's really bad area.

Really depends on the temperature and what I'm wearing and if I'm carrying open or concealed as well.

springmom
October 1, 2006, 06:26 PM
If so, then I carry one extra mag. When I carry the snubbie, currently on sick call, I carry two speedloaders that each hold 5 rounds (the snubbie holds five rounds too).

I don't reload, in the sense of refilling a case and putting in a bullet myself. I would blow up my house and myself. I just know it. :rolleyes:

Springmom

Edward429451
October 1, 2006, 07:22 PM
I if revolver. 2 for auto, sometimes only one. Always at least one.

Dwight55
October 1, 2006, 07:38 PM
If I'm carrying my .45, . . . 2 spare mags, 8 ea.:D

If I'm carrying my .380, . . . only one spare mag, . . . that's all I got.:o

If I get enough money for a S&W 29, . . . I won't bother. Sgt Callahan didn't.:)

May God bless,
Dwight

oldbillthundercheif
October 1, 2006, 09:59 PM
If I'm sporting my 1911 I bring along two 10rnd C.Mc Power Mags.

If I am toting my Makarov I bring along 3 extras.

The Real Wyatt
October 1, 2006, 10:43 PM
Hmm.

I have five in my revolver.
I have 13 in my .45 semi-auto.
Got another magazine with 12 .45s.
If I need more than 30 rounds, I'm well and truly screwed.

saypek
October 2, 2006, 05:55 AM
Full mag with one in the chamber of my G26 for everyday carry. If i'm going to notorious places i bring an extra 17rd G17 mag.

Don P
October 2, 2006, 08:41 AM
:cool: Just what the pistol holds. If you do not get it done with what you have in the pistol kiss your ass goodby because IMO your shot placement will only get worse with the reload if you manage to pull the reload off with out a hitch. This IMO applies to us civilians and not LE.

Samurai
October 2, 2006, 09:04 AM
My mag pouch is BULKY (double mag pouch for IDPA competition), so usually just one spare mag in my pocket.

But, if I'm going out on the town, just the pistol.

Syntax360
October 2, 2006, 09:38 AM
With 16 rounds of 9mm, I just carry the pistol. With .40 or .45, I carry one reload.

bartonkj
October 2, 2006, 11:56 AM
I carry my PT145 Mil Pro in my SmartCarry holster and have a spare magazine in the magazine pouch. When I carry my Tomcat .32, it's in my pocket and I have no place to carry a spare magazine.

Ace On The Line
October 2, 2006, 02:12 PM
Always carry along a spare magazine, better safe than sorry.:)

fastbolt
October 2, 2006, 04:26 PM
Depends on activities, dress, perceived threat levels and how long/far I'll be away from home ...

What, you were expecting a definitive, one-size-fits-all answer? :p

How much money do you think you'll need on your person for the day?

How low do you allow the fuel level to drop in your vehicle's fuel tank before you decide to refuel?

If you wear reading/prescription glasses, do you carry an extra pair away from the house?

How low do you allow your underwear/sock drawer to go before you decide to do laundry?

Do you decide it's time to replenish your stock of milk, sodas, beer, etc. as they're getting low, or after?

Would anyone else's answers to these questions change the way you do things?

tlm225
October 3, 2006, 08:09 PM
One reload. Speed strip or speedloader for revolver. Spare mag for semi-auto.

bigsam
October 3, 2006, 08:36 PM
In Kimber Pro ll. 8 rd mag +1. 2 - 10 rd mags extra. Pepper & cell. Kershaw 1620H3 & all the yellow situation awareness I can carry.

Arizona Fusilier
October 3, 2006, 09:16 PM
One spare mag for my pistol(s) normally, regardless of what it is (usually a Glock).

Exception lately for when I'm running in the morning; my dog carries two G22 mags for my Glock 27, one in each pannier so weight is evenly distributed on him. Yes, the G27 is on me.

The only time I don't have spare mags is when I'm carrying spare guns; often a PPKS/S&W 649 combo, or a Kel-tec P32/Beretta Bobcat combo.

revjen45
October 4, 2006, 02:40 PM
One 10 rd mag in the gun and 2 more.

threegun
October 4, 2006, 03:16 PM
Always at least one spare mag. Thats 31 rounds in my G-23. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

David Armstrong
October 4, 2006, 04:06 PM
Unles I'm doing something LE-related, I rarely carry spare mags or such.The chances of needing them in a non-LE DGU are extremely low, and the chance of actually being able to use them if you need them are even lower.

cpaspr
October 4, 2006, 04:07 PM
always carries reloads. Sometimes they're just "New York" reloads. :D

azurefly
October 4, 2006, 05:44 PM
I don't care for answering online questions, to people I don't know, about what gun I carry or how much ammunition I carry for it.

I always get this paranoid sense that the info is going to end up in a dossier to be used by some big-brotherly government agency, as tactical information when they come to take me away as a member of the pro-freedom 'insurgency.'

So, consider me mum.

-azurefly

SkunkApe
October 4, 2006, 06:13 PM
So, consider me mum.

Is that you, Mum? What are you doing on the internet? How's Dad?

azurefly
October 5, 2006, 12:55 AM
I was thinking someone would think to say something like that! :D LOL!

I "consider me mum" to be looking out for me from above, since I've never had to draw or fire at someone! ;)

-azurefly

gwhall57
October 5, 2006, 03:46 PM
I only carry the fully loaded mag (10) plus 1 in the chamber.

Rangefinder
October 5, 2006, 03:58 PM
On 10-rd mag of Hydro-shok in the weapon, and a spare of FMJ. If a situation ever arrises that isn't more than enough in my general wanderings, I'm obviously in the wrong part of town on the wrong day--and really stupid for getting myself into such a position.

Trip20
October 5, 2006, 05:11 PM
I carry no ammunition whatsoever because I live in a "Progressive State". :mad:

Hoverboy26
October 5, 2006, 05:39 PM
fastbolt, you crack me up with your response.......LMAO! :D

"Why is water wet? Why is the sky blue? If a bear crapped in the woods, and no one was around, would it still stink?? :eek: Is the glass half full or 1/2 empty? If a train leaves Barstow at 60 mph traveling east, uphill, in the snow-when will the Mcdonald's close in Manhattan? How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was carrying a semi-auto 1911 with 3 magazines??"

-RC

Rangefinder
October 5, 2006, 06:19 PM
I'm Scottish descendant. The glass isn't half full, nor is it half empty---There's twice as much glass as there is what's supposed to be in it, so time to be ordering another round! :D

OBIWAN
October 9, 2006, 02:07 PM
I see a lot of people saying things like "if I can't get it done with __ I will not likely get it done at all"

For those wheelgunners in the group I would tend to agree:D

By the time you reload you may very well be DRT:eek:

For those autopistol afficianados, you are missing the point IMO

There is no cosmic rules that state that the magazine in your weapon will work flawlessly when you need it to.

It doesn't have anything to do with being a cop/soldier/etc

Bad things can happen to anyone

I sincerely hope you don't need more than the chambered round if your first round in the mag is stuck for some reason...like maybe you bent the feed lips when you dropped it in a speed reload

The magazine is the feeding device for your weapon

It is one of the most likely sources of a malfunction, but happily...it is the easiest to replace quickly.

But only if you have a spare;)

This parrallels the tac reload thread

You may not need a lot of rounds...but you may need a different magazine

So don't go without a spare and don't throw any of them away

Mr. Murphy is just waiting for that to happen

I actually think John Q Citizen is more likely to have problem mags

Because most of the "operators" I know are less married to their mags

They maintain them and replace them more often

And they carry more spares!

Ben Shepherd
October 10, 2006, 08:55 AM
Two reloads.

tanksoldier
October 11, 2006, 12:21 AM
Always at least one... usually two if I'm carying my 226, 50 rounds total in gun and spare mags.

OTOH I often carry a .357 revolver... then I usually only carry one speed strip for a total of 12 rounds.

It's not that I think I need 50 rds of 9mm, but the shoulder rig has room for two spare mags, so why not?

SamD
October 16, 2006, 11:57 AM
1 up the pipe
1 8rd in the weapon
1 spare 8 rd.

17 total.

Sam

smince
October 29, 2006, 07:25 AM
Thanks, Obiwan.

I'm glad someone finally touched on this topic. Always carry at least one extra magazine.

JohnKSa
October 29, 2006, 09:45 PM
When I carry a pistol with high capacity (15+) rounds, I rarely worry about a reload.

When I carry a small pistol (under 10 rounds) I always carry a reload.

If I carry an odd caliber (that I can't buy for easily) I might carry several reloads.

Demon5Romeo
October 29, 2006, 10:48 PM
I usually carry a Glock 19 with two spare magazine. Overkill for most situations but very comforting.

iowain45-70
October 30, 2006, 04:15 AM
i reload all ammo

guntotin_fool
October 30, 2006, 05:18 AM
Enough to let me sleep at night.... usually at least one spare mag, but most often 3 spare 1911 mags or 2 hi caps.

rich52us
October 30, 2006, 09:32 AM
Thanks, Obiwan.

I'm glad someone finally touched on this topic. Always carry at least one extra magazine.

+1
Obiwan hit the main points. I also don't understand the attitude that a person carries more reloads if going to "the bad part of town." BGs come out of the bad part of town looking for victims in the good part of town from time to time. I carry a spare mag for my Glock 30, and if dress allows, a BUG (either Kel-Tek P-11 or P3AT). I have great respect for Mr. Murphy and his Law.

rwilson452
October 30, 2006, 09:44 AM
If I'm packing my 1911 it's 1+8+8+8 and 10 in the glove box
if it's my XD it's 1+13+13 and 13 in the glove box.
if I'm down to my 38 no reloads but two speedloaders in the glove box

OBIWAN
October 30, 2006, 10:51 AM
I just saw a post on another forum showing some hairline cracks developing in brand-x mags up near the feed lips

If you were not looking for them you might not (probably wouldn't) see them

It would be a real shame to have your ONLY mag fail right when you need it

cphilip
October 31, 2006, 06:55 PM
With the little 38 spcl 5 shot revolver I just carry one speed loader both packed with Carbon XTP +p

Otherwise if the G22 is on me just the 15 rounds that are in it.

I don't figure on being in a long fire fight. For an old guy I can run pretty fast when shot at. And seem to be a lot more carefull with each shot when I know I am limited. Can't count very high under stress anyway...

Bud Helms
October 31, 2006, 08:04 PM
With my little Charter Arms 3 inch Bulldog .44 Special, four reloads. One under the hammer and four more in the cyclinder.

bigghoss
October 31, 2006, 09:01 PM
I always carry at least to extra mags or 2 speedloaders, usually more. I really don't see any reason not to carry not to carry that much. it's way more than I should ever need but it would really suck to have a gun and not enough ammo.

Bud Helms
October 31, 2006, 09:05 PM
"... to extra mags ..."

How many is that? :D