PDA

View Full Version : Blue Heeler

Tayta_Mayne
September 29, 2006, 01:00 AM
Ever since I was a little kid I have loved blue heelers. I went to a pet store one time and had about a 2 month old blue heeler in one of those holding areas. i was only nine or 10 at the time and this mean dog went straight for my ankles, hard. I was just wondering If a pure bred blue heeler is a good hunting dog. I know I've heard about blues with australian mixes, but what about the pure breeds. And also what are they best at.

rem33
September 29, 2006, 08:50 AM
They are stock dogs not hunters. Had a couple of em, my experiance is they are smart, need to be kept busy, Both minded easy and were a one person dog.

Tayta_Mayne
September 29, 2006, 05:00 PM
Well see I thought they might be good for wild boar hunting. You know chase the boar against a backdrop. Then I can come in and do my thing. Anybody?

wun_8_seven
September 29, 2006, 05:57 PM
i used to have a blue heeler that would run rabbits, tree squirrel & retrieve dove.

Tayta_Mayne
September 29, 2006, 08:41 PM
Hey Seven, was it good at runnig animals? And was he hard to teach?

wun_8_seven
September 30, 2006, 10:38 AM
it was a female. all i did was take her with me and she figured out what we were trying to do. she worked cattle and horse's. so i quess she thought well, he's trying to round up these critters too.

the only problem was she was so fast that sometimes she'd be to close to the rabbits to shoot with out hittin her. a lot of the time she'd catch them.

hossdaniels
October 2, 2006, 07:39 PM
mine likes to chase/nip at anything(tractors,tires,other dogs), but i'm pretty sure they are bred to be cattle dogs. And yeah, better watch the ankles. I had some of the neighbor's horses get out of the pasture and into my sod field. The dog would keep running the horses around and biting at their ankles. The horses kept trying to kick her, but every time she would duck and the kicks would just sweep over her head. The horses made a hell of a mess in the field, but it was fun to watch the dog do its work.

FS2K
October 2, 2006, 08:19 PM
They are fast, intelligent determined little buggers and are as brave as they come. They make excellent stoppers, nipping at the heels of a fleeing hog and not letting them get away. They are also decent at holding a pig from moving too much once stopped and work great as a part of the pack. Alone? Maybe they wouldn't be the ideal pig dogs as they lack strong tracking abilities. They are more sight oriented dogs, though every once in awhile you will have one that has a good nose, depending what the other blood in them is. That's why I LOVE heeler mixes for pigs. The have super endurance too.

Rossko was my all time #1 Heeler mix. His Momma was a Cur, Ginger whom my brother found in the parking lot at his workplace abandoned so he brought her home. Ginger was a ginger colored terrier mix of some sort, black nose, short haired, sleek and with a black snout & stand up ears. Ginger herself turned out to be an excellent tracker and was the envy of a lot of guys that came hunting with me. She could find hogs very fast and it was always her voice you'd hear first in the forrest on the hunt. A friend of mine had a pure Heeler and asked me if I would allow him to match Ginger with him if he could get 2 pups from the litter. I would be able to keep the rest. I did and Ginger girl had 9 puppies, Rossko being one of them. Rossko looked every bit the Heeler. Compact head, pointy ears, short stout body and the tell tale spots of his heritage. He had eye patches that were brown and lacked the blue color on his body. He was the bravest pup in the bunch, feared no one or no thing and quickly became alpha of the group. Then one day when he was 7 months old I took Rossko with me to my Dads pasture to check the fence line and Rossko decided to harass a cow. Cow. Not a bull, but a mild mannered cow. Long story short Rossko took a hoof to the head and I thought he died. I took him hope fearing the worst but he recovered....at least his body did. The knock shook some screws loose and Rosko the Brave became Rossko the MAD. He would do the weirdest things and was crazy as a ****house rat. He would be quiet as a mouse as you put him in the truck, but as soon as you'd go he would start yoddling non-stop until the truck stopped. Street lights? Quiet. As soon as you would go he'd start up again and not stop. He also took a hating for bicycle tires. Moving or not. He'd attack the kids wheels while they were riding and kill any parked bicycle he could find. He loved kids and they knew it, he just hated tires. And then there were Cows. Good lord. He would go ape**** as soon as he saw any cow, even one in the distance...but for hunting hogs, Rossko was an ACE. Every bit his Mom in tracking abilities with the added endurance of his dad. He will always be the best Heeler mix I have ever seen. Week after week he did his share for finding pigs for 6 years until a little 80lb boar killed him.