PDA

View Full Version : Would you take this shot? Pic attached...

FrontSight
September 28, 2006, 10:40 AM
Say it was your last day of a once in a lifetime Elk hunt, and this was your last opportunity, would you take the shot?

And why, or why not, would you?

And if you would, would agree with where the crosshairs are placed?

Thanks!

stephen426
September 28, 2006, 11:01 AM
I'd say a lot of it would have to do with what caliber gun you are shooting and what type of bullet you are carrying. With a heavy powerful bullet, insufficient penetration would be less of a concern. The cross hairs are placed on the elk's right shoulder and it is quartered towards you. If I were to shoot it, I would probably go down and to the right a little to put it through the chest cavity and maybe break the left shoulder or go for a throat shot and try to sever the spinal chord. Of course the best thing to do would to wait a little to see if he presents a better shot.

Clayfish
September 28, 2006, 11:10 AM
I would take that shot but I would move the crosshairs to the right and make a heart shot taking out the left lung and possibly breaking the left shoulder if the angle were right.

Ian2005
September 28, 2006, 11:35 AM
An easy heart or head shot at that range. If you have to think about it, you should be'e out there. Or you wait a few minutes for a broadside / shoulder shot; after all, it's not like he's just going to dissappear.

smooks75
September 28, 2006, 11:44 AM
I would take that shot but I would move the crosshairs to the right and make a heart shot taking out the left lung and possibly breaking the left shoulder if the angle were right.

That's it!!

springmom
September 28, 2006, 12:17 PM
+1 Clayfish. I would never shoot for the shoulder blade. That's not a difficult heart/lung shot if you move the crosshairs to the right.

Springmom

castnblast
September 28, 2006, 12:18 PM
I'd move my aim over about 3-4 inches to the right. Assuming I'm using my 300 or my 7mm rem mag.

perpster
September 28, 2006, 12:48 PM
Before I'd take the shot I'd want to know what is behind that non-natural looking set of planks behind the elk.

NRA4life
September 28, 2006, 01:13 PM
Yes I would as he appears to be only about 15 yards away. 190 grains out of my .300 would open him up like a can of sardines at that range.

UniversalFrost
September 28, 2006, 01:52 PM
Ok, so your sitting and relaxing one Saturday afternoon and you see this little sucker trying to drink your beer. Would you take the shot? :D

http://f7.yahoofs.com/users/4461abf7m1c0f0e81/6ce2/__sr_/ccd2scd.jpg?phwuBHFBzBA.WAIH

Personally, chances are good that he will spill the beer when shot and nobody wants to cry over spilled beer; now do they? I say let him get drunk and then whack him with that rock, then go get yourself another beer. Just my 2 cents.

gunslinger1911ACP
September 28, 2006, 01:56 PM
Rotflmao

rlong5
September 28, 2006, 01:57 PM
Absolutely would take the shot, but aim a little more right as others have said.

Perpster, you're either joking or you've never been in an aspen forest. I can't tell which, sorry.

ZeroJunk
September 28, 2006, 03:00 PM
It would not be a good bow shot,because if it hits that shoulder bone it will not go through it.If you are hunting with a good quality bullet 160 grains or heavier 2700 FPS or better it should kill the Elk dead as a hammer right where you got it.But,a couple inches to the right would be a better shot and probably save some meat.

FrontSight
September 28, 2006, 03:01 PM
I have to see I definitely agree with moving it to the right after drawing up this comparison, as if looking at the elk from above...

Thanks!

FirstFreedom
September 28, 2006, 06:01 PM

Precisely what I was thinking. Either that, or up higher on a neck shot.

azredhawk44
September 28, 2006, 06:16 PM
Before I'd take the shot I'd want to know what is behind that non-natural looking set of planks behind the elk.

Those non-natural planks are planks in their natural state. Aspen trees.

I agree with shooting about 4" to the right of the suggested shot.

BUSTER51
September 29, 2006, 12:07 PM
I use a 33 cal for Elk and don't see a problem with it ,as said b4 a hair to the right would be good .

Art Eatman
September 29, 2006, 06:31 PM
Another "Right 4", down an inch." :D

Art

22-rimfire
September 29, 2006, 06:35 PM
I would move my aim a bit to the right to avoid the weeds. I would take the shot if that was the only shot I had, but I would prefer shooting a bit to the right because of bullet deflection potential and a better possible heart shot.

T. O'Heir
October 4, 2006, 02:30 AM
Traverse right and up a tick. There's an aiming point about where the neck meets the chest too.

Desertfox
October 4, 2006, 08:07 AM
I agree with T.Oheir. Shoot him where the neck meets the chest. We call that "shootin him in the goozler".
High velocity round not archery. Max FPS with a round that sticks together and mushrooms will drop him in most of the shot locations.
My 2cents.

davlandrum
October 4, 2006, 11:07 AM
+1 to right and down with suitable rifle caliber. Archery - NO!

FirstFreedom
October 4, 2006, 03:44 PM
With an ARROW, what Art said, right 4" or 5", down 1" or so.

With a RIFLE, pretty much right there, maybe right 2", down 1" or so.

My understanding is elk boiler rooms are farther down and farther forward than deer. A good rifle bullet will have no problems whatsoever with the leg or shoulder bones right there.

Good question!

TJ Freak
October 4, 2006, 08:26 PM
Yup, move a bit to the right.