PDA

View Full Version : .30-06 ammo manufacturers

gunslinger1911ACP
September 27, 2006, 08:57 AM
I currently use Remington Core-Lokt 150 grain ammo for Texas whitetail. What types of .30-06 ammo are y'all using?

Smokey Joe
September 27, 2006, 10:37 AM
Gunslinger--you said that youhaven't found what I'm looking forWe could answer your question better if you could say what it is you're looking for. Yes, I know, .30-'06 ammo, but what do you want to know about mine?

If you don't handload (pity) all of the big commercial ammo makers put out hunting loads that are "good enough" in the vast majority of rifles. To find a commercial load that shoots better than "good enough" in yours, you have to just buy different ammo and shoot it; nobody else can tell you what your rifle will like.

gunslinger1911ACP
September 27, 2006, 12:44 PM
I should have been more clear. What types of ammo are other .30-06 shooters using? Is there a significant performance difference is using higher priced ammo with boat tails and polymer tips?

Smokey Joe
September 27, 2006, 07:08 PM
will be absolute death on whitetails. You need search no further, IF you are satisfied with the accuracy this load gives you in YOUR rifle.

I handload 165 grain boattail Nosler Ballistic Tips. 165 grain because that's what my go-to .30-'06 likes. Ballistic tips because the plastic tip doesn't deform at the slightest mishandling, as do lead-tipped bullets. Boattail not for ballistic reasons, but because they enter the case neck more easily (and therefore with less deformation, and straighter) when seating the bullet. I get accuracy with 'em which is satisfactory to me. >1 moa.

Deer are almost never shot at ranges where the ballistic advantage of the boattail would come into play.

Previously I used Sierra Game Kings, also 165's. They are lead-tipped, a nice accurate bullet, and kilt deer well for me, but had the disadvantage noted above.

At a much younger age, the 180-grain Remington Core-lokt roundnose was the bullet for deer. I thought it would fly straighter through brush than other designs. Reading more recent research has convinced me that if anything, the opposite is true. Spire points go straighter. And 180 grain bullets drop more at great distances. And no deer needs that much bullet. Etc, etc.

As noted above, if you don't handload, there is no alternative but to buy it and try it, to find a "better" load for your particular rifle.

Good luck in your search. And, as always, the journey is part of the destination.

ArcherAndShooter
September 27, 2006, 09:08 PM
OK, just about any 30-06 that you can shoot accurately will do the job perfectly well for whitetail - even big New England ones.

What about elk? I'm going to Wyoming next fall, and my outfitter has said 30-06 will be fine even for large bulls. What about weight and type though? Shots out there can be up to 350 yards, and I want to be certain that I'll have enough energy left at the end of that flight.

Any insights?

rem33
September 27, 2006, 09:33 PM
350 is a long ways, I would recommend some practice at that range. If your like me you are going to need a good rest to be accurate enough for shots that will get the job done with one bullet at that range. I have deer but not shot a elk that far.
150 gr. core-locks hand loaded is what I use for everything, deer elk and antelope. I am careful about the shots I take which is the most important. Guys will argue 165 or 180 for elk but I doubt a animal in the country can tell the difference in a few grains if their hit in the heart lung area. So far ( knock on wood ) every elk I have shot as not gone but a few yards.
I have only recovered one bullet from a elk. The elk was knocked or fell with the first bullet and was trying to stand, so I shot again. It was a uphill shot with the animal quarted toward me. Bullet path went thru the neck taking out 4 or 5 inches of neck bone, on thru the shoulder blade and came to rest against the hide. It fell and stayed. I weighed the recovered bullet and can't remember exact but it retained about 2/3's of it's original weight. Good I thought. Shot was across a canyon but I figured it was around 150 to 200 yards.
If your worried maybe a 338 mag, it will shoot a 200 grain bullet about like a '06's 150.

Art Eatman
September 27, 2006, 10:01 PM
If you set up for about 2" high at 100, you're right at dead on at 200 and about six inches low at 300. Probably about 14" low at 350; just under two feet low at 400. That pretty much holds true, give or take an inch or so, for 150, 165 and 180 bullets.

If you're inexperienced in messing around in wide-open country, a range-finder is a Good Thing. Memorize your trajectory and you oughta be good to go. Helps to have some idea of how many inches is the depth of an elk's body, of course. :)

Art

FirstFreedom
September 27, 2006, 10:17 PM
Don't forget the reduced recoil loads from Remington:

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/centerfire/managed-Recoil.asp

Good for deer.

Hmm, I thought Federal or Win had something similar to this, but I guess not.