PDA

View Full Version : mossy oak or realtree (just for kicks)

prater
September 25, 2006, 09:46 PM
Just for kicks I'd like to see what you guys prefer between the two biggest names in camo.

If your a non-camo hunter like some I know I'd like to hear your opinion as well.

Personally I'm undecided, I'm sure they both work just the same, I've worn both, and mix and matched both, but I'm more partial to mossy oak. I really don't even know why.

Any thoughts?

FirstFreedom
September 25, 2006, 10:16 PM
I feel like it really doesn't matter at all, except for maybe ducks & turkeys. But MONBU matches pretty well with my area in the woods (oak/hardwoods) for spring turkeys - Mossy Oak "New Break Up".

Well, apparently they changed it to just plain "Break Up":

http://www.mossyoak.com/patterns/default.asp?id=5

The whole camo-war thing is a little bit silly and over the top - I guess the big three are what,

Advantage http://www.advantagecamo.com/
Mossy Oak, http://www.mossyoak.com/default2.asp and
Realtree http://www.realtree.com/

They all have some good patterns - could make a difference with some birds, I suppose. I've got a Mossy Oak Shadow Grass coat for ducks, and an Advantage Max-4 coat (Rocky brand) for all-purpose/deer. Camo is more for people than for the game, so I buy whatever appeals to me.

Hmmm, wait a sec...it would seem that Advantage is just a division or brand of Realtree?

http://www.realtree.com/patterns/guide.tpl

Trip20
September 25, 2006, 10:22 PM
I like whatever is on sale and that looks at least slightly like wood/rock/dirt/tree/leaf colored stuff.

nico
September 25, 2006, 10:33 PM
Personally, I like ACU and Marine woodland digital camo more than the commercial patterns I've seen. If I could have found US made M65 Jacket and pants in either of those colors, I'd have jumped on them. But, since I didn't, I'll be going after Bambi with the standard woodland camo for the forseeable future.

After seeing my dad shoot a doe that had walked to within about 75 yards from a few hundred yards away while he was wearing a blue winter coat and blue jeans, I'm not convinced that camo is absolutely necessary. I bought the M65 jacket and pants because of durability and warmth; I got camo because it can't hurt.

ITEOTWAWKI
September 25, 2006, 10:36 PM
I've got a question, of the 3 makers of clothing, which do you find to be the most comfortable? I hate that walmart crap...crappy itchy clothing that would probably melt in the heat.

prater
September 25, 2006, 10:41 PM
I don't know about other places but here in DFW (Texas) Wal Mart carries realtree camo. Fairly cheap both in price and quality, I've started buying at Academy just so I can have a better variety and higher quality.

rem33
September 25, 2006, 10:54 PM
Danner or Wesco Logger boots , Wranglers, tee shirt and depending on how cold it is, vest, lined shirt, to a good down jacket. Oh and a cap.
I have sat still on one side of a bush and had deer eating within 3 or 4 feet on the other side and never know me or my then 8 year old were there. If your still and the wind is right younger mule deer or doe's seem to be post animals ( dumb as a post)
That said, a old buck can seem to disappear into thin air.
My experience is that elk are not post animals either

whitedemon89
September 25, 2006, 11:08 PM
czechoslovkian OD green

Desertfox
September 26, 2006, 06:08 AM
Predator, Mossyoak, Realtree, brown, black, plaid, anything earth tone that will not resemble a deer. Don't wear carhart tan! If you do, you will be looked at in someone's scope.
If bow hunting, camo is more important but not as important as being still.

Art Eatman
September 26, 2006, 08:23 AM
I've never been a serious turkey or duck/goose hunter, so I've never worried about camo. Old khakis and/or olive drab has always been plenty good. When walking-hunting for deer, it doesn't matter what you wear; they hear you even if they can't see you.

:), Art

jhgreasemonkey
September 26, 2006, 11:07 AM
I've never been serious about camo. I wear woodland mil camo when I feel the need because I already have it and I feel it works fine. Most of the time I dont even use cammo and just wear earthy colors. Like dull kaki, brown, etc. Then again I am also not a serious duck and goose hunter. Mostly big game. But I have seen those guys completely done up in their mossy oak break up during deer season with a bright orange vest over the top while tromping through the pine and fir forest of the NW. :confused: :D its kind of funny.

Scorch
September 26, 2006, 12:06 PM
Most camo is designed to fool hunters, and it works very well. It fools some of them so badly that they spend obscene amounts of money on camo that is too dark, wrong color, wrong patterns for area they are hunting and they can't seem to see the difference.

The best camo for hunting is neutral in color (like deer and game animals), non-reflective (like deer and big game animals), soft and quiet (like deer and big game animals).

You can't add the most important factor to camo, which is no motion.

Find a quiet camo in a neutral color and sit still or move slowly. Otherwise, none of it works.

springmom
September 26, 2006, 12:19 PM
My winter camo is Realtree, my lightweight camo is Mossy Oak. That's because it's what they had in women's camo when I went shopping for it. Real esoteric reason for the choice there :D

Springmom

FirstFreedom
September 26, 2006, 12:41 PM
Hmmm, after looking at some of these websites, I will say that even though MONBU seems good for spring purposes, there are others better for fall/winter hunting. Problem is, and reason I never considered it, is because main quarry in fall/winter is deer or quail, and it just flat out doesn't matter for those at all - you don't need any camo.

But, having said that, if one were a serious fall turkey hunter, let's say, these would seem to be the best at blending with a late fall oak forest:

-Advantage- Classic
-Advantage- Timber
-Realtree- Hardwoods HD

Particularly the Realtree Hardwoods HD.

Mossy Oak- Obssession is a nice pattern, but has too much green in it, since turkeys can see color.

For deer it just doesn't matter, as long as you don't stand out like a sore thumb - it's movement that busts you visually, not pattern color.

UMP
September 26, 2006, 12:54 PM
Most od my camo is realtree, but I usally buy whatever is on sale.

FirstFreedom
September 26, 2006, 01:14 PM
Most camo is designed to fool hunters, and it works very well.

That much I agree with.

The best camo for hunting [...]

non-reflective (like deer and big game animals),

Yep.

soft and quiet (like deer and big game animals).

Yep.

is neutral in color (like deer and game animals),

Here's where I disagree. And believe me, I don't often disagree with the very learned Mr. Scorch.

Deer (for example) being a tan color, are in fact VERY hard to see in the fall. Tan is certainly a good solid color; probably the best in terms of color only. But we have a hard time seeing them *in spite of* them being (pretty much) solid tan, not so much because of it. If they were patterned at all, we'd never see them, as stealthy as they are!! It is the large tan "splotch" that allows us to see them at all. Or the white neck patch. If they remained spotted like fawns, or had an even better pattern, along with a more subdued-color spot (not white), we'd have a hell of a time hunting them! A large solid object, regardless of color-neutrality, is not ideal. You want something to break up the outline. It doesn't matter much at all when the *quarry* is deer/ungulates, because they don't recognize small splotches like a human very well at all, until it moves, but they do recognize things that look different, and if you are close enough to it, instead of looking like the tree that was there before, your single solid splotch of whatever-color (tan, younameit), will look different, and that means agitation and white tail running away from you. More so even for turkeys and ducks - not only is color important, but breaking up outline is extremely important. But see sig... :)

Art Eatman
September 26, 2006, 04:05 PM
Dunno about deer, but I notice a walking guy with camo a lot quicker than I do a walking guy in khakis or some other dull color that's close to what's around him. Brownish in woods, olive drab in the greasewood. I've seen a lot of all of that, over these last forty years or so.

FWIW, Art

Spur0701
September 26, 2006, 04:49 PM
I'm with Scorch and Firstfreedom.........I read some study on the net done at some university on deer and camo.....I think the US Mil woodland and British DMP were as effective as the comerical patterns.

stolivar
September 26, 2006, 08:17 PM
there was a guy that did a test to see which hides better. Good camo or hawaian shirts. Since deer are color blind they did it in black and white. The hawain shirts were harder to spot. I have seen this test. It might still be on the net. do a search and see.

steve

FirstFreedom
September 26, 2006, 09:13 PM
That makes sense to me how a hawaiian shirt could be very good with colorblind deer, because it has palm leaf patterns and such on it - breaks up the outline - going to be much better than a solid ANYTHING (solid orange, solid tan, solid white, solid black, solid gray, solid purple). In fact a hawaiian shirt with orange palm leaves would make good hunting gear to comply with blaze requirements.

ITEOTWAWKI
September 26, 2006, 09:19 PM
If you don't mind anyone seeing you thinking that you're a fruitcake. :D

stevelyn
September 27, 2006, 12:34 AM
Mossy Oak or Real Tree

Neither.:barf:

http://www.asatcamo.com The closest thing you'll find to invisibility.:D

biglabsrule
September 27, 2006, 07:18 AM
My clothing is Mossy Oak but my only camo gun is Real Tree :p...

Quickdraw Limpsalot
September 27, 2006, 12:10 PM
Whatever's on the clearance rack?

If neither?... then neither.

guntotin_fool
September 27, 2006, 12:57 PM
Last spring I had a job on a fancy house on the edge of a huge wetlands/nature area. Eating lunch wearing a plaid flannel shirt and tan carharts pants I had two tom turkeys walk with in ten or fifteen feet of me and many many more hens and jakes within fifty feet.

Last week wearing mostly the same stuff, a flannel shirt and jeans I had a 10 point buck in another yard come in and eat the flowers. I think most of the push of this stuff is marketing.

springmom
September 27, 2006, 01:11 PM
LOL. Archerandshooter's grandfather always hunted in a wool plaid shirt, I've been told...never messed up his hunting.

Springmom

ArcherAndShooter
September 27, 2006, 02:30 PM
of Grandpa bending over a MASSIVE muley he shot wearing red-check lumberjack coat and blue denim overalls.

me, i wear sticks 'n limbs. not 'photo-realistic' (that's to fool hunters) but good soft color and pattern disruption. i've had deer not see me when I was standing in the open 10 yards from them, as long as I kept perfectly still and did not make eye contact.

sparkysteve
September 27, 2006, 05:27 PM
I prefer Mossy Oak over Advantage, because it blends in better where I hunt and I find Bill Jordan extremely annoying.

Trip20
September 27, 2006, 06:21 PM
stevelyn -- I gotta say those "Test Photos" on the ASAT website are a bit of a joke. I could get the similar results using my digital camera and some old muted-color street clothes.

I'm not saying the ASAT camo is not good or that it doesn't work! The stuff looks fine to me. I just think the photos were poor to the point of being funny. :D

Jack O'Conner
September 27, 2006, 06:40 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/sdoct05paulbuckkid.jpg

North American pronghorn antelope easily have some of the sharpest eyes of all the animals created by our Lord. These amazing creatures can spot even small movement at 1 mile. Yet my ordinary USA military woodland camo worked quite well on this hunt. The orange vest and hat did not affect this long stalk in tree-less prairie.

I wouldn't worry too much about camo patterns. For count-less centuries American Indians went hungry if they failed at the hunt. Yet they got along quite well without the modern benefits of soap, shampoo, clothes washing machines, toothpaste, steel tipped arrows, or camo clothing.

Chuck Adams holds more P & Y trophies than any other archer in history. Yet most of his successfull hunts were conducted wearing a plaid shirt and wool watch cap. Only recently has he succumbed to the big marketing dollars from major clothing and gear makers. Its just about money; not hunting success. Don't confuse the two.
Jack

Wild Bill Bucks
September 28, 2006, 09:54 AM
Basically, I think you could wear purple with pink and red, as long as the pattern is not solid. Movement is what gives you away. Camoflauge itself is noticeable if you are moving. It only works when you are still.
As far as the best, in my opinion is the break-up pattern. It has more black in it, and the black is what gives the pattern depth. I have had deer walk up and turn their head, looking straight at me, trying to see me, from a distance of less than 10 feet. I think the pattern breaks your sillouette,so they look right through you.
I have watched guys who come through my area, and I notice it when it moves, but as soon as they stop, the pattern becomes very hard to pick up.

Here in southeastern Okla., you will have deer within bow range a lot, and camo becomes important, not because of the color, but because of the pattern. I hate a solid orange vest, because it gives off a solid pattern, that is picked up by the deer, with very little movement. The camo orange, is a much better choice, but it is not legal in some states.

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the TV hunters, since most of them don't hunt in the southeastern Okla. vicinity, and since there aren't a whole lot of game ranches down here, growing big bucks, I'm not likely to see them here. We have some really good trophy whitetails in our area, but they are few and far between. I have to remember, that they make their living promoting their sponsers products.( and most of what they tell you, may not work in your area, unless your on that game ranch with them)

Remember good hunters, will have success, and bad hunters, will mostly just get a lot of exercise. The clothing won't make that much difference.:D

Ian2005
September 28, 2006, 10:53 AM
So I find myself wondering from Jack's post - how do you do a stalk wearing a solid color jacket and hat in an open field? I would think that unless there are hills that you can indeed crawl up to and peer over, forget it. If pronghorn have terrific vision, wouldn't they be able to see something solid moving a mile away?

castnblast
September 28, 2006, 12:39 PM
I like both. Especially whatever is on sale. I tend to like that better:rolleyes:

arizona hunter
September 28, 2006, 03:21 PM
Kinda of depends on the color and type of boots for the occasion.. Just kidding.

Most of my stuff is Advantage, but I also like Mossy and Treebark for certain situations.

sleeping dog
September 29, 2006, 09:40 PM
That makes sense to me how a hawaiian shirt could be very good with colorblind deer
First, you'd have to make sure you're hunting the colorblind deer, not the normal deer. How do you know?

Also, it wouldn't help me. It's pretty chilly here in November, and wearing the hawaiian shirt over three layers of thermal underwear is just pushing the envelope too far.

On the other hand, if you see some guy wearing three layers of long-johns and a hawaiian shirt, and he's dragging a deer to his truck, ya gotta respect that.

Regards.

shotguna
September 30, 2006, 07:42 PM
Buffalo Plaid :D

prater
October 2, 2006, 07:03 PM
Sleeping Dog it is widely believed that ALL deer are colorblind. Whether that is actually true or not, I don't know. But I'm not taking any chances.

Arizona Fusilier
October 3, 2006, 11:02 PM
I bought some Realtree (Extra Brown, I think) for Turkey hunting, works well in the Pine forests of Arizona. Not big on Mossy Oak, as I haven't seen such a thing in the Desert Southwest:p .

Other than that, I'm not big on "civilian" hunting patterns, as I hunt a lot in the desert, and until very recently, none of the hunting outfitters seemed to cater to our needs.

There are some new patterns on the market, Open Terrain, Open Country, Prairie Ghost, and others, that show promise.

Other than that, my Rhodesian camo is still one of the best things going around these parts.

bclark1
October 4, 2006, 12:53 AM
i think realtree is more versatile, even though i own more mossy oak. i think break-up is a great spring turkey pattern, but too dark for other times of year when you don't have a lot of dense foliage (and consequently shadows).

bclark1
October 4, 2006, 12:59 AM
FYI, the camo "study"
http://whitetail.com/camo1.html

Twycross
October 4, 2006, 01:29 AM
Of the two, the Realtree patterns fit my environment better. But neither is as good as Cabelas 3D Seclusion Open Country :) That and Carhartt brown.

davlandrum
October 4, 2006, 11:13 AM
Most of the name brand patterns are just too dark. We bow hunt in western Oregon, where it is pretty dark, damp and thick - and they still look like a black blob when you get out to 50 yards. I like the ASAT cammo (not even sure if it is still made) or the "outfitter" pattern at Cabelas. I just wish that pattern was availabe in more light weight clothes.