PDA

View Full Version : I'm so sick of buying what turns out to be JUNK (and Limbsavers are JUNK!)

FirstFreedom
September 24, 2006, 09:11 PM
I'm so tired of the crappy quality found in most of today's stuff. One of my limbsaver shock absorber things mounted inside the split limbs of my bow (on both ends) broke off today while shooting - just tore apart through the rubbery part and the absorber piece fell off. Ridiculous because it's not placed under ANY direct stress, and it's only 2 years old. Upon examination, looking at the tear, it becomes quite evident that this is a poor design - there is very little "meat" of the rubbery stuff at the juncture where it was attached. Should have been obvious that this was a too-fragile design, in need of an aluminum piece to attach the mount to the rubbery recoil "bulb" if you will. Mind you, this is a knock on the BRAND name "LimbSaver" shock absorber - not a knock on bow shock absorbers in general.

rem33
September 24, 2006, 09:22 PM
Limbsavers products look good enough and I read here that guys seem to like the recoil pads but, I am Leary of a company that sells stuff such as their barrel vibration dampener thingamajig ( de-resonator). Telling me it's gonna make my rifle more accurate. When a company BS's me about one product I am very concerned about purchasing another from them.

Double Naught Spy
September 24, 2006, 11:02 PM
American designed, tested, and produced. Actually, I tried searching for insight on the limbsavers and basically while you may have purchased a product that did not work for you, it seems you would have been hard pressed to find very many negative reviews of the product online. I found a couple, but nothing pertaining to the longevity of the product. So this sort of problem is not something that would have turned up with a historical search before making a product purchase. In other words, there would not be any available telltale signs online, or not many, to indicate this problem. How will you know if something is crap if others won't report it as such? Then again, maybe you are the exception? Okay, I doubt it.

Sometimes we end up with crap despite our best efforts to research a product, experience and knowledge base about the product and its use before the purchase, and maybe even our own testing. Sometimes, some stuff just simply doesn't work out in spite of our efforts to ferret out problems before we make purchases.

I am willing to guess that if you did research the product before purchasing, that like with many gun products and gun owners, limbsaver owners who had purchased the product previously probably all said how much they loved the product. I think a lot of times, folks want to love a product, want to believe it is beneficial, and don't want to admit that they might have made a bad purchase decision or were duped by advertising or product hype. The net result is that a lot of products get far better reviews and reputations compared to how they perform in reality.

FirstFreedom
September 24, 2006, 11:32 PM
Yep, didn't research. I might even buy a LS rifle recoil pad. Seem solid, with good reviews. But not one of their bow limb savers again. Should do more research before each purchase, to be sure....

Double Naught Spy
September 25, 2006, 06:03 AM
Yeah, but in the case of the limbsavers for the bows, I don't think it would have done you a darn bit of good. The easiest thing to have said would have been to say that you should have researched the product better, but with such glowing magazine reviews and good internet reviews/comments, combined with the lack of bad comments, none of the information you found would have been such to keep you from buying the product.

Aside from talking to other bow hunters, of which you may or may not know enough to be able to get a valid opinion on the product, where are you going to get information? It will mostly be from mags and the internet.

I don't know, maybe in the future you can research a product by going through all the motions and then querying pro shops that don't carry the product and ask why they don't carry it. Maybe you might get a few hits on the fact that they stopped carrying the product because it didn't work well, didn't last well, etc. Of course, that means the product would have to be around long enough and the store sell enough of them to get enough complaints to pull the product.

springmom
September 25, 2006, 07:30 AM
Gotta tell you, this is the first negative I've ever heard about Limb Savers on bows. The hubster's had these for years and never had a failure, and I've never heard any other bowhunter with this problem. Last time we were at a pro shop (getting his bow tuned up) the owner was real positive about them.

Sorry to hear of your problem, but I think you just got unlucky.

Springmom

Desertfox
September 25, 2006, 11:03 AM
I have been an archer for 12 years. I have had so many limbsaver products on my personal hunting items, I cannot count them.

I use split limb vibration dampners and an Answer and modular stabilizer and I even have a limbsaver slip over rifle butt pad.

The rifle pad works good but the shooter's friend pad works better.

The split limb viration dampners on your bow lasted for two years.
How many shots is that for you?

I shoot maybe 2500 shots per year. I replace the dampners yearly when I replace my string. You got 2 years out of them. You probably took your bow out in severe weather. Hot or Cold. you may have even sprayed it with scent eliminating spray. Who knows why yours got bad. I have loved them for years and will continue to buy their products.

Maybe a defect or maybe something got into your limbs, like a branch or vine, and damaged it.

They are the best archery product on the market to dampen vibration.
Maybe give the different type of split limb vibration devices a try from LImbsaver.

FrontSight
September 25, 2006, 11:44 AM
Wow, I've never had a bad experience with them..work GREAT for me on recoil pads, and both as stablizers and dampeners on bows...

castnblast
September 25, 2006, 04:35 PM
Never had an issue w/ mine. i don't have a split limb bow, which will split one of those things quicker due to design of the LIMB. It's a rubber product, and it takes a beating on split design. Mine are 5 years old and working great. A note about the de-resignator...From what I know about barrel harmonics, it should work in theory, however, I have not used one, and i'm curious how they work. I reload, so I don't need one as you find the sweet spot by experimentation w/ your load. That's my .02 for what it's worth.