PDA

View Full Version : Duck Hunting

leetrev1
September 24, 2006, 08:51 PM
Hellow all,
This weekend I am going duck hunting for the first time with a friend. I have a 12 guage wingmaster to take along. I asked my friend what I need to bring he just said 'gun and ammo". Okay, given. But I'm sure they don't have "plenty" of other supplies around. So are their any essentials? For example, which shot should I use. I have a 28 and a 30 in. barrell, which is best? Anything else? Waders? I know we're going on the river. The high temps have been in the mid 50s, low 60s. I work at the Cabelas Club Visa call center here in Lincoln Ne, and where I'm going is near the Kearney Cabelas where I would get my 40% discount on Cabelas brand merchandise, so I don't mind dropping some money on waders, or other supplies, just within reason. Um, thats all I can think of, so any info would be much appreciated! Hope you all have a good week. Take care. -TREV

FirstFreedom
September 24, 2006, 09:18 PM
Decoys and related accessories: Your friend should bring those, so...check.

Guns and ammo: Bring STEEL or other non-toxic shot, such as Bismuth or Tungsten based shot. But steel shot is the cheapest of those. Probably you are best off with Modified or Improved-Modifed choke. I wouldn't use full with steel, but if using bismuth/tungsten, full is ok. Use BB, B, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or even 6 shot. Probably 1, 2, or 4 shot is best.

Waders...yep, I'd buy some - you're probably gonna need 'em, especially if you're helping throw out or gather up the decoys. They may not be a necessity in this warmer weather, but in the future in the cold weather, you'll need them or your hunt for the day will end if you get wet (or at a minimum, you'll have to go change into backup clothes in the pickup).

Species-appropriate Calls and someone who knows how to use them: Again, hopefully, the guy(s) taking you should have this base covered. Sometimes calls are a necessity. If you're in a good enough spot, calls are not needed. If you use them to make realistic sounds, it cannot hurt to have them. If you're not practiced, then the ducks can tell it's not real, and thus you're better off not calling.

Licenses/Regulation: State license. Federal Waterfowl stamp. And federal HIP permit. And possibly special hunting-area-specific licenses, if applicable. Read the hunting reg book before leaving, to check what the limit of each species is, so that if you really get into them, you know when to stop.

Camo - ducks see very well, so have a face-covering of some kind, and something to cover the white of your hands, in addition to other camo clothing. Stay very still until you decide to shoot. And know where ALL other hunters in your party are - and don't shoot them or even shoot in their direction. Kinda puts a damper on the friendship if you Cheney them.

And bring a knife - in warm weather, you should field dress them rather quickly, before going home.

leetrev1
September 25, 2006, 12:38 PM
Thanks FirstFreedom, that is some great info and I appreciate it!