PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody else noticed...

Nigelcorn
September 23, 2006, 09:08 AM
That a lot of people on this site sound like they spend more time preparing for the remote possibility of an attempted home invasion by a group of foreign operatives than they do spending time preparing for things that likely will kill them? I am fairly new to this site, but I have spent the last few months reading articles every day, and have noticed a trend, particularly on the Tactics and Training forum. The trend is this: people post on this site about how they choose their entire wardrobe, where they will eat out with their families, what activities they will enjoy, etc based on their perceived threat of some random person trying to kill them for no reason. Don't get me wrong, I believe in being prepared; I think CCW is a great idea and will carry as soon as I move to a state not run by liberal tree-hugging hippies. However, I wonder how many of those that spend so much time thinking about and planning tactics for a home invasion are also spending time to exercise so that their blood pressure doesn't get to high. Heart disease kills way more people than crazed lunatics attacking a random home with apparently no motive other than brutal murder. If we were to live our lives in fear of every thing that could possibly kill us like some people profess to on this site, we would never drive in a car (accidents kill more people than random home invasions), we would never eat anything with cholesterol in it (strokes/heart disease) etc., we would exercise every single day to avoid diabetes (kills more people than random home invasions). I guess what I am saying is that it seems that people are letting this irrational fear of getting killed at random run their lives more so than the rational fear that other lifestyle choices really will shorten their lives.
Again, don't take this to mean that I am anti-gun, I am a big fan. I do think that guns and CCW shouldn't be controlling our lives to the extent that they do with some posters on this site.

PythonGuy
September 23, 2006, 09:14 AM
Must be hell to live like that, I agree.

garryc
September 23, 2006, 09:35 AM
The subject of this forum is self defence tactics. That fact causes a Concentration of thought on that subject. Just like if you went to a site that discusses flower gardens, people on that site would seem obsessed with flowers.

Severian
September 23, 2006, 09:53 AM
garryc's right.

This forum is about Tactics and Training. This site is about firearms. Posts about proper diet, excercise regimens, and safety while driving would be off topic. While that information might be good, it would be irrelevant to the site.

Many people may sound "paranoid" or "obsessed," but that's because what they post must be relevant, i.e. T&T and firearms. I've been lurking around enough to know that most people here probably also consider diet, excercise and driving to be just as essential to their well being as CCW and training. This just isn't the place to discuss those other things.

That's the way I understand it, at least...

Severian

DonR101395
September 23, 2006, 10:52 AM
Nigel,
I am guilty as charged. It's probably a carry over from my work. I try to maintain a level of awareness where ever I am at. As for choosing where I eat and recreate, shop it's a personal choice not to do spend my money with businesses who don't support 2A.

atlctyslkr
September 23, 2006, 10:57 AM
Most of the T&T posts are overblown but they sure are entertaining.

tony pasley
September 23, 2006, 11:11 AM
prepare for the worst, hope for the best, then deal with what comes.

AScorz
September 23, 2006, 11:16 AM
Better to have it and not need it, rather need it and not have. Thats what my pops would say.

PinnedAndRecessed
September 23, 2006, 11:22 AM
You're right, Nigel. And I won't go into detail how right you are so as not to offend the sensitive.

But I expect you already have observed what I would say.

Many posters on TFL (and her sister site) are obviously juveniles. This is where the whole "mall ninja" comedic routine comes in. I seriously doubt they even own guns. Well, maybe paintball or airsoft.

Many others have apparantly read a great deal about self-defense, but based on an informal poll I recently conducted on this, and other, boards, it's obvious they have little, if any, real world experience in their "area of expertise."

And then there are those with both the training and experience. If one were to anticipate a career in the military or law enforcement, these people are worth listening to.

Whichever case, though, it is like atlantacityslicker said, "It sure is entertaining."

PythonGuy
September 23, 2006, 12:20 PM
Garryc said:
The subject of this forum is self defence tactics. That fact causes a consitration of thought on that subject. Just like if you went to a site that discusses flower gardens, people on that site would seem obsessed with flowers.
Yes, but I bet they wouldn't discuss taking a hoe into the bathroom, or keeping an eye and the tree next to the rose bush because it looks suspicious. The forum is for obsession with guns, not paranoia of life, not solving every problem with lethel force, not covertly seeking permission to use or flash their guns.

KC135
September 23, 2006, 12:49 PM
:) Over the past 10 years or so I have asked this question on perhaps 10 gun sites. 'Do you carry all day every day?':(

A few answer yes, most qualify their answer with 'except for' :eek: or 'when I feel' or 'if I am going' or 'when I am at', or 'I can't because' etc, etc etc.:rolleyes:

The vast majority of people who have license/permit/CCP/LCP, do not carrry on a daily basis.

How do I know? Well for 16 years I ran a full line gun store in a mall. I was located in one of the oldest 'must issue' states. Also member of several gun clubs. 90% of my customers [except LEOs on duty] did not carry even tho they has LCPs, and 80% of the members of my primary gun club did not carry[had to have permit to join].:confused:

This site is here for us to learn, and enjoy, and yes play TEOTWAWKI, etc.

Then there are those who ask as they get into my vehicle 'Long gun behind the seat?' already knowing my answer will be in the afirmative, and I know they have at least two guns on their person.:D

pax
September 23, 2006, 01:18 PM
I don't know what it is about human nature that causes people to say, "Everyone who doesn't live their lives in exactly the same way I live mine is either insane or stupid."

All I know is that it's really rude and tiresome.

People who don't carry everywhere aren't necessarily "sheeple."

People who do carry everywhere aren't necessarily "paranoid."

And people who get their jollies by insulting each other really don't belong on what used to be the most polite firearms discussion board on the 'net.

pax

Wildalaska
September 23, 2006, 01:39 PM
I do think that guns and CCW shouldn't be controlling our lives to the extent that they do with some posters on this site.

Bravo!

And people who get their jollies by insulting each other really don't belong on what used to be the most polite firearms discussion board on the 'net.

There is a difference between insult and sound critisim (spell check hangover)...If I say to a person who carries a gun while sitting on the potty in his fortress (in a low crime rural area) that he is a paranoid idiot...thats an insult. If I say that there is no rational reason for that type of behavior, thats a sound critism. Politeness is paramount as are impressions to lurkers.

Now its time for my Kevlar meteor helmet to go on

WildbesidesificarryinthepottyilldropmyguninthecanAlaska

Nigelcorn
September 23, 2006, 02:00 PM
Pax, I'm sorry if it sounded like I was insulting others, that isn't what it was meant to be. I wanted to see if people other than myself thought that many posters on this site take it past the point of rational concern for one's life and into the realm of paranoia. I've read several posts where people say that they won't go to certain restaurants because they can't sit in a place where they can see all the other customers enter and exit. That, to me, is beyond reasonable caution. I'm sorry if I offfended anyone, again, that wasn't my intent.

Epyon
September 23, 2006, 02:31 PM
Don't forget your S(H)TF fabric to protect you from hits to the body too!!:D :D :D

Epwishicouldgetmyhandsonthatliquidarmoryon

PinnedAndRecessed
September 23, 2006, 03:54 PM
I'm sorry if it sounded like I was insulting others,

Don't worry about it. You weren't.

DonR101395
September 23, 2006, 03:58 PM
I'm sorry if I offfended anyone, again, that wasn't my intent.

Never thought it was meant to be.

Chuck Dye
September 23, 2006, 04:17 PM
Nigelcorn,

You are largely on the mark, I think. The problem is exacerbated by the self selecting nature of an internet forum. As you spend time here you will build a short list of those you take seriously and one of those to ignore.

Over two years ago, I began a post which I left in my document folder. Perhaps now is the time to post it.

I am so inadequate! Or I could become convinced I am if I were inclined to grant any weight to many of the posts on The High Road or The Firing Line.

Oregon has open carry and I, by failing to carry openly at every opportunity, am letting down the cause.

Oregon is a shall issue state and I did not file for a permit the instant I established residence. Not only am I letting down the cause, I have willfully endangered myself and those I might defend.

I do not have a plan for killing everyone I meet: what a Darwinian blessing that I have not fathered any children.

I do not own a BOB, a BUG, or a dedicated SHTF vehicle: clearly I have my head in the sand.

I have kept "minor" caliber weapons at the ready: what a wretched, foolish, obstinate, so-and-so I am.

I do not own, and I have declined many opportunities to acquire, legal semi-auto versions of battle rifles: I am, clearly, an idiot, and will be one of the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

I do not worship John Browning, Jeff Cooper, Bill Jordan, Masaad Ayoob, Pondoro Taylor, Marshall & Sanow, or any of dozens of other authors of gospels. I, in my willful ignorance, have just not seen the light.

I have not exhausted any of my resources, physical, fiscal, bandwidth, or political, in haranguing my personal collection of political hacks over second amendment issues: I am at best failing the cause but more likely am a latent anti.

I own only 13 firearms and, with the exception of rimfire, rarely shoot more than 150 rounds in a month: I am a poseur, dismissable by the society of true shootists.

NOT!

What I am is capable of critical thought. I am saddened that anyone should find themselves bullied by this or any forum’s postings into buying, selling, believing, disbelieving, doing or not doing anything, including abandoning this forum.

The only time I have problems with The High Road or The Firing Line is when I discover I have fouled up and offended someone on a very short list of people who have earned my respect by the quality of their posting.

Oh, and for what it may be worth, Pax is on both my "PAY ATTENTION" and "DO NOT OFFEND" lists

orionengnr
September 23, 2006, 04:18 PM
too often, does she?

Certainly hit it this time.

That's why her posts are invariably worthy of reading and further reflection.

There are very few people here that I would make that statement about, and you are free to disagree.

Jason607
September 23, 2006, 04:51 PM
One of the best ways to protect yourself from attackers, weather common thugs on the street trying to steel a buck, some home invader, or even a road raging person loosing thier temper, is not to worry about what caliber your firearm is and what it did in some gellitin. No, for one is to stay out of situations that get you involved. Stay out of high crime areas, don't be apart of some hotheads game. Another thing is not to meke your home an easy target. Another thing is to keep a cool head. If you look scared when you end up in a bad area filled with thugs, you make yourself a target. If you don't look afraid, and look confident, they might think twice. Looking like a victom, that increaces your likleyhood of a victom. Kind of like a deer with a limp in front of some presuing wolves.

Don't let everyone and thier cousin know what all you own that is valuable. People talk, word spreads. Even though the people you told may be good, they are at a bar or something, people talk to talk, next thing you know the whole bar knows where valuable are. I know people who have a lot of get-to-geathers, they usually end up getting robbed one time or another. I remember in H.S., people would throw parties, freinds invited freinds. Usually, things got stolen at the party, but so often, thier houses got robbed. People who show off, often get robbed. Don't wear a bullseye and you won't be targed as much.

I generally keep to myself. I stay away from drama. I am very gaurded with people I don't know.

JohnKSa
September 23, 2006, 05:25 PM
I have noticed that there are people who seem to behave as if NOT being prepared for a particular occurrence actually provides some level of protection against that occurrence. As if the idea or act of being preparing for something might actually jinx them and make it happen.

This extends down to things as simple as choosing whether or not to lock doors.

People choose the level of preparedness that they feel comfortable with and then often find it necessary to ridicule those who choose any other level. The difference is that the unprepared tend to be far more vitriolic and passionate in their criticism of the prepared than vice versa. I think that relates back to my previous observation.

Me? I've read too many stories about people who decided it was a good idea to close the gate AFTER the cows had gone out to leave mine open. ;)Many others have apparantly read a great deal about self-defense, but based on an informal poll I recently conducted on this, and other, boards, it's obvious they have little, if any, real world experience in their "area of expertise."Most people learn by experience. Some by their own, some by the experiences of others. I'm not ashamed to say that when it comes to self-defense, so far I've done all my learning from the experiences of others. But that doesn't mean I am going to demean those who feel that tasting for yourself is the only way to know an egg is rotten. ;)

Glenn E. Meyer
September 23, 2006, 05:28 PM
Well, I didn't find much fun or arguments on the heart attack forum. Nor was the going bankrupt forum that interesting.

I find arguing about tactics enjoyable. I would rather spend a day at the IDPA match - Shooter Ready - then at the Cholestrol lowering picnic. Heart attack victims ready - draw your salad gun.

I was wondering what round to use on killer spinach. Doug hasn't posted a scenario on it yet. :D

Yes, most people are living Walter Mitty lives as are those on the Superman forum debating about the Hulk vs. Superman.

However, there are many risks in life - and crime is one. Engaging in conversation is fun. Calling yourself IronBlade1911Warrior and saying the shotgun is the ultimate HD gun - why not?

John28226
September 23, 2006, 05:36 PM
Pax, as usual, I am impressed with your logic and wisdom. And, of course I agree. Funny how that works! If I cared about what someone thought about were I eat, why I carry a handgun or when I exercise I might feel differently.

I learned a long time ago that there are enough ways in the world for everybody to have one. It is your life. Do with it what you will but do NOT attempt to control how I live mine.
John
Charlotte, North Carolina

Where all the children are all above average, the women are all beautiful and the criminals have all moved to New York and California.

Wildalaska
September 23, 2006, 05:44 PM
Where all the children are all above average, the women are all beautiful and the criminals have all moved to New York and California.

O really?

Charlotte, NC New York, NY National

Murder: 8.9 7 5.5
Forcible Rape: 47.14 17.63 32.2
Robbery: 420.9 300.9 136.7
Aggravated Assault: 622.2 361.9 291.1
Burglary: 1816.2 322.2 729.9
Larceny Theft: 4249.8 1530.8 2365.9
Vehicle Theft: 1023.9 260.1 421.3

WildguessthecriminalsstayedAlaska

tydephan
September 23, 2006, 06:28 PM
*Takes blood pressure while sitting, blindfolded, in the corner of my safe room and field stripping my Glock with one hand.*

Did someone say something?

:D

Seriously. I agree with Pax.

Can't we all just get along. :p

MeekAndMild
September 23, 2006, 09:41 PM
Interesting thread. Pax is right.

springmom
September 23, 2006, 11:55 PM
I do think that part of what you're experiencing is the concentration of subtopics regarding tactics and training. People ask "how do you conceal?", lots of "what do you do if" questions, there are threads relating to real encounters (which are usually pretty informative if you weed out the occasional nonsense answer). And because, like you, new folks come regularly with their own versions of those questions, the questions are addressed anew. All of which, especially if you spend a few hours reading back a month or so, can seem like we're all hiding behind concrete walls waiting for the Martians to invade or something :rolleyes:

I put on my handgun in the morning when I get dressed, and when I go to bed at night it goes on my nightstand. I live in north Harris County, Texas (Houston area) and our crime rate has gone from zero to crazy in the last three years (and especially since Katrina). I am at home by myself during the day on weekdays, as I work from home, and there have been quite a number of daytime burglaries in our area. Additionally, our youngest son was seriously assaulted in January just a few blocks from our house, pistol-whipped, beaten, kicked, robbed, and shot at. All in all, a little extra caution and awareness of one's surroundings is a sensible thing, IMO.

I've learned a lot about guns, about concealed carry, and about situational awareness reading this forum. I've also laughed, as have most of us, at some of the really goofy ideas and over-the-top stuff that is occasionally posted (and yes, it IS entertaining) :D

What I really want to get through here is that awareness isn't paranoia, and concealed carry doesn't mean fearful, worried, looking-over-my-shoulder all the time. Quite the opposite. Because I know if need be I can take care of myself, I worry a lot LESS. I am not afraid of walking down the street by myself. I go up to the national forest a half-hour north of our house both to just enjoy the woods and to hunt during deer season. And I go *alone* sometimes and feel confident that varmints, two- or four-legged, are manageable. My husband has seen me come "out of my shell" and be far less fearful than I was before, because I've developed confidence that comes from being self-reliant and capable.

None of that is paranoid. It's freeing. It's empowering.

My $.02, highly overinflated, as always ;)

Springmom

Arizona Fusilier
September 24, 2006, 12:52 AM
Well I confess that I too find myself wondering what if everyone else's preparations are limited to how many guns there fat butt can carry.

I guess I'm really paranoid; not only am I extraordinarily prepared for the Night of the Zombies guns and ammo wise, I actually do run 3 to 4 miles everyday, and otherwise engage in life preserving habits.

I do drive an automobile though. But its safe; I have three guns with me.:D

tanksoldier
September 24, 2006, 04:49 AM
Well, opinions are like backsides... everybody is one. ;)

+5 for pax... I nominate her for the position of "Matron Goddess of Internet Wisdom"

I don't think my brother's '57 Chevy should take up as much of his $$ and time as it does, esp since he has 3 kids... but it's his life and his hobby.

Firearms are mine. People who know I carry think I'm uptight and nervous when I carry, and sometimes tell me to leave it at home and relax a bit. In reality I'm much more relaxed when I have my gun on. Except when I'm in a place where it's absolutely prohibited (not many of those in Colorado) I'm carrying my gun. It doesn't make me paranoid, either. Most LEOs will never fire their weapon in the line of duty, and many go months or even years without having to draw... but they still carry on duty and off.

It's my life, and that's what makes me happy.

I do think that guns and CCW shouldn't be controlling our lives to the extent that they do with some posters on this site.

Nigelcorn
September 24, 2006, 07:45 AM
You'll notice that I never said that "everybody" who has/carries/talks about/prepares with a gun is a paranoid nut job. I agree it is fun to read about tactics, etc. I have been coming to this site every day for quite a while now and just reading what people have said to learn more.
I guess my question comes from something I saw while in Home Depot. There was a man who was open carrying, and I was watching him. He couldn't walk more than 3 steps without turning to "check out" the person who had just walked in the store. Every person that was on the same aisle as him, he had to look at them for a few seconds, I assume to assess their "threat level." All this, and this man was grossly overweight. I try not to judge people, but I couldn't help but think that, statistically, the thing that was going to kill this man WASN'T some random person walking up to him in Home Depot. That he is prepared for and vigilant of that is perfectly ok with me. I suspect, however, that the extra stress he causes himself by not trusting anybody and constantly being in an elevated state of caution is doing his body more harm than anything else. Maybe it is because I am in a health care profession, but if you are that worried about your well-being, you should also at least address things that are statistically more likely to affect you.
Again, I am not saying that guns are bad, very much the opposite. I am not saying that we shouldn't be prepared (not sure exactly where that came from). I would CC if I could. I sincerely believe crime would go down if more people CC'ed. I understand that this is a forum on tactics, and I am not suggesting we discuss health care; it was merely a question if other people also thought that some posters were taking things to where it is more of a harmful paranoia than a helpful habit.

PinnedAndRecessed
September 24, 2006, 08:45 AM
Nigel, you're a reasonable fellow and have said nothing out of line.

The problem is that some people desire to be offended (unless you follow their "superior" wisdom, intellect, experience, ad nauseum).

Shake it off. Points well taken.

GreyFox
September 24, 2006, 08:46 AM
I don't beilive that too many people on this forum get stressed out becuase they have to go to path mark at the end of the week and they worry about it ALL week becuase the rest of the week they work from there bunkered down home with a draw bridge over a moat, with a AR or AK slung over there shoulder, throwing knives on there wrists and 6 handguns on there person. I have been on some forums where you meet people ( not to that extent ) that are constantly worried. If a person, male or female is got stuck at there day job for OT and had to go to pathmark, walmart, or where ev, and is Liscened to CC and they would like to come on here to maybe see what other people have encountered, and possibly what to look out for and how to prepare themselves if something looks fishy it does the entire country good. 1 perhaps the shopper can defuse the ugly situation, even if the gun does have to be unholstered, w/o shots fired, which is a good situation for everyone inc you and me. Perhaps the would be assailant wouldn't attempt something like that again, or he gets caught and locked up. or the worst case scenario (for the assaliant) shots fired and something that the shopper read on the forum came into play and the shopper will be able to go home to their family and someone here helped someone live a longer, better, or safer life. They should require people who CC to read informative forums such as this on atleast a weekly basis. And also i live in a state where CC is not an option for non LEO's but I am trying to be a LEO and even if that doens't happen, This is one of my hobbies, just like others collect coins.. I Think we are lucky enough to have on this website , for the majority, people who are realists, who are not over the top, and know things can happen. Being prepared isnt a bad thing.

Im newer than most here, but I hope to be on one of these lists, of "Repected Posters" I know im not there yet, but im learning

GreyFox
September 24, 2006, 08:49 AM
And I also believe you didn't attack anyone... as well as i hope you don't think I'm "battling" or "attacking" you

tegemu
September 24, 2006, 09:19 AM
Springmom, when your son was attacked I followed your internet posts, on the subject, with interest. I have since wondered occasionally how he is doing, physically, mentally and emotionally since the unfortunate incident.

garryc
September 24, 2006, 09:31 AM
Many of my freinds found it a might excessive when I mounted one of these on the foot board of my bed.

http://dillonaero.com/images/ti.jpg

I think it's completely reasonable, though I'd rather have a 30mm.

Glenn E. Meyer
September 24, 2006, 09:52 AM
You have to laugh about extremes. I posted on another site about the folks prowling down Cabela's with a fanny pack that looking like Granny's girdle and pieing around the shirt rack. I was chastized by folks who are always in Condition Orange.

I do strongly agree with Pax in her analysis that calling folks sheeple says more about the poster than the person in question. I was in one where folks said they were not sympathetic to the students shot in Canada because Canada has crappy gun laws and in some sense the kids got what they deserved because they were sheeple or lived in a sheeple country.

On the other hand, one can try to find a restaurant to satisfy a totalitarian vegetarian - they're just as nuts.

enikkor
September 24, 2006, 09:56 AM
Most of the topics are related to guns and defensive issues. I agree that
some of the folks sound obsessive about it but that's their hobbies or
concerns. The chances of actually needing the training and skill we all
acquired is prob. very low, the chances of actually shooting somebody within our lifetime is even lower as long as you stay away from trouble spots.
The chances of dying from heart diesese is probably higher.
I use to collect vintage watches and also dabble in photography. Go to
those websites and they all sound obsessed with their hobbies.

pax
September 24, 2006, 10:04 AM
springmom ~

What an excellent post! That really resonated with me.

Vivid memory from a few years back: I needed to drive over to the beach to drop off a couple of my kids at summer camp and pick up two that were already there. Of course I wore my gun; it's what I ordinarily do, so it's what I did on this ordinary day. The road to the beach from here is a twisty, windy road through some of the most beautiful scenery on God's green earth. It's also got no cell phone service, few homes, and very little traffic. So when the car broke down just as night fell on our way home, my two youngest kids and I ended up sitting for several hours on the side of the road before someone came by to call a tow truck. When our Good Samaritan finally arrived, he jotted down my AAA number, said he'd go call, and then said he'd come back to check on us & let me know how long it would be. Sweet of him. I wasn't worried -- I was relieved, and able to be friendly rather than suspicious or paranoid or panicky about this stranger talking to me on a deserted country road. Because I was physically equipped to handle any violent ideas he might have had, I was able to be relaxed and unworried in talking to him, and was grateful upon his return rather than alarmed by it.

This may not be remarkable for the he-men who post on this forum, but for this ordinary American woman, it's hard to explain just how liberating it was to be able to stand straight and look a healthy adult male in the eye without even a bit of worry about who he was or what he might want to do to a woman alone on a deserted road after dark with her two young children. That feeling was utterly outside of my experience before I habitually carried a gun and before I got training in how to use a firearm for defense. Now it is an ordinary and expected part of my life, even on the rare occasions I don't have my gun with me.

Maybe that's what guys feel all the time. I don't know. All I know is that it was quite a revelation for this woman. No worry, nor fear -- only alert awareness and well-based confidence. What freedom!

pax

Nigelcorn
September 24, 2006, 10:16 AM
Gary, while that gun is a good idea, I worry that it might not be equipped with silver bullets in case (tactical situation alert) you are attacked by vampires. Just something to think about, you can never be too prepared.

Samurai
September 25, 2006, 11:59 AM
Up front, let me say that the two main names on my short-list of "people to listen to" include Pax and Springmom. I have never read an unwise posting from either of them...

That said, I definitely grow belabored of the repetitive nature of the postings on the T&T forum. A large category of threads on this forum are what I call "whadd'ya-do-if" threads. Examples are, "What do you do if you hear a noise in the middle of the night?" or "What do you do if you're in your car and you hear a noise in the middle of the night?" or "What do you do if you're standing in your front yard in the middle of the day and you hear a noise in the middle of the night?" The list seems to go on and on! And, they are uninteresting and unstimulating questions! The answer is almost always, "Shoot them!"

So, in this respect, I see one of Nigelcorn's points, that the questions posted often seem very combat-intensive and scenario-specific, and not at all suited for well-rounded training discussion. These questions seem to be baits for outlandish response scenarios, like, "I'd grab my gatling-gun and level the whole neighborhood!" This is why, whenever I run across a truly outlandish "whadd'ya-do-if" thread, I try to augment it with a truly whimsical and non-sensical answer, often involving me going berserk with my samurai sword and chopping up everybody EXCEPT the bad guy.

"If we shadows have offended,
Think of this and all is mended..."

Just a casual observation...

springmom
September 25, 2006, 12:54 PM
This may not be remarkable for the he-men who post on this forum, but for this ordinary American woman, it's hard to explain just how liberating it was to be able to stand straight and look a healthy adult male in the eye without even a bit of worry about who he was or what he might want to do to a woman alone on a deserted road after dark with her two young children. That feeling was utterly outside of my experience before I habitually carried a gun and before I got training in how to use a firearm for defense. Now it is an ordinary and expected part of my life, even on the rare occasions I don't have my gun with me.

It makes all the difference in the world.

That said, I definitely grow belabored of the repetitive nature of the postings on the T&T forum. A large category of threads on this forum are what I call "whadd'ya-do-if" threads. Examples are, "What do you do if you hear a noise in the middle of the night?" or "What do you do if you're in your car and you hear a noise in the middle of the night?" or "What do you do if you're standing in your front yard in the middle of the day and you hear a noise in the middle of the night?" The list seems to go on and on! And, they are uninteresting and unstimulating questions! The answer is almost always, "Shoot them!"

So, in this respect, I see one of Nigelcorn's points, that the questions posted often seem very combat-intensive and scenario-specific, and not at all suited for well-rounded training discussion.

ROTFL. Yes, you are certainly right about that, and Nigel, if that's what you were getting at, you have my agreement on that level. Some of those are pretty funny, it's true.

Springmom

JoshB
September 25, 2006, 02:03 PM
People who show off, often get robbed. Don't wear a bullseye and you won't be targed as much.

The only people who know what I own also know that I carry all the time. Anyone who overheard one of my conversations would know that I'm a firearms enthusiast. Almost everytime I have a guest over, I'm sure to show off my latest addition to the collection. I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to break in my home just by overhearing a conversation or seeing something they wanted.

Ian2005
September 25, 2006, 05:17 PM
This is exactly why I don't come to this particualar forum everyday because it almost reads like everyones a psychopath here. So.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: back to "The Hunt".

kozak6
September 25, 2006, 09:25 PM
I must admit, I :rolleyes: at a lot of the threads and replies on here.

"What do you do if you want to order a pizza?"

"First, I call Pizza Hut and place my order using my solar rechargeable sattelite phone.

Then, I put on my Class IVVXVII Kevlar full body suit, helmet and my night vision goggles, grab my M2HB and my M1A, and mount the M2HB to the tripod on the sandbag embankment behind the front door.

Then, I wait for the doorbell to ring, and throw a flashbang through the front window.

I take my pizza from the stunned delivery guy, pay him and give him a healthy tip for putting up with the weekly flashbangings, and use my satellite phone to dial 9-1 and watch him as he recovers. If he doesn't open fire, I hang up the phone and let him retreat to his vehicle, but keep him in the crosshairs of my M1A in case he is simply using the "pizza delivery vehicle" as a heavy weapons platform.

I use my personal satellite to watch him as he drives back to the "pizzaria," and if he doesn't commence artillery bombardment on my house, I don't use the EMP weapons platform installed on the satellite.

Then, I scan the pizza for anthrax and all other biological agents.

If my pizza is safe, I retreat to the bomb shelter, where I enjoy it while keeping an eye on the thermal imaging cameras installed around my house.

You can't be too careful, you know."

springmom
September 25, 2006, 09:29 PM
....because I think I have Famous Amos Chocolate Chip cookie crumbs up my nose now. ROTFLMFHO!!!!!!!!! Brilliant!!!!!:D

Springmom

Ian2005
September 25, 2006, 09:35 PM
kozak6

Awesome. Simply Awesome.. ROFL ~~~infinity~~~

garryc
September 25, 2006, 09:52 PM
Gary, while that gun is a good idea, I worry that it might not be equipped with silver bullets in case (tactical situation alert) you are attacked by vampires. Just something to think about, you can never be too prepared

Nigel, I got you on that!! I drill out the nose of every third bullet and fill it with super garlic extract!!

Nigelcorn
September 25, 2006, 09:55 PM
Gary, I get mixed up on my folklores (I know, very un tactical of me) but wouldn't silver bullets also function to ward off a warewolf attack?

Trip20
September 25, 2006, 10:11 PM
I think there is a noteworthy portion of ostensibly peculiar questions/topics that surface for the reason that when people begin to carry or consider home defense - and begin to continually evaluate the responsibilities - they also begin to wonder what they would do in certain situations.

Contemplating an armed confrontation often makes one wonder, "Jeez I really don't know what I'd do if that happened." Unfortunately, they come here for answers, but usually receive more ridicule than reasonable suggestions.

The usual suspects jump in only to berate those taking the discussion seriously, or at least respectfully. There are a number of people who generally post in order to roll their eyes, make comments about ninjas and zombies…etc.

Imaginations are great, and I think it's a good thing for those that carry to continually ponder just what they might do and seek advice from their peers. But that can be hard to do here.

Does this mean all the topics and questions are of the more practical nature? No. The bad definitely ruin it for the good. That is to say those topics that should remain at least somewhat informative and on topic turn into arguments over whether or not everyone is paranoid, or just prepared.

There are a few members who do little more than post flippant and insulting comments in the T&T forum. In my opinion, these instigators are more of a problem than any silly question we see here in T&T.

As a membership we can turn what appear to be silly questions or topics into constructive discussions about more practical terms - but it's up to us.

Arizona Fusilier
September 25, 2006, 10:25 PM
I'll second that one, Trip20.

TimboKhan
September 25, 2006, 10:38 PM
Well, I can't say that I totally agree with the man, but you know, at least as far as I am concerned, he has a point when he says:

However, I wonder how many of those that spend so much time thinking about and planning tactics for a home invasion are also spending time to exercise so that their blood pressure doesn't get to high. Heart disease kills way more people than crazed lunatics attacking a random home with apparently no motive other than brutal murder

I am 34 and grossly overweight, and I am dealing with high blood pressure and heart issues as we speak. Luckily, at this exact moment, I am not in immediate danger, but I am trying very hard to make some serious life changes. Speaking only for myself, I was an athlete in high school, and I was a Marine, so I obviously stayed in shape for a while after high school too. At some point, I said to hell with excercise and eating right, and now I am literally twice the size that I was in 1994. Look, I am not trying to get sympathy or anything like that. Me getting as fat as I am is my problem, not yours. Still, the point is made. How many of us are looking after our health? If you can answer yes, excellent. If you answer no, well, make changes before you get in as bad of shape as I have.

azurefly
September 25, 2006, 11:00 PM
Kozak, man, how long did you have to work on that to perfect it?!

Great stuff! :D

-azurefly

Capt Charlie
September 25, 2006, 11:08 PM
As a membership we can turn what appear to be silly questions or topics into constructive discussions about more practical terms - but it's up to us.
You've echoed my thoughts, Trip, but said it better than I could.

When Erick returned from the sandbox, he posted his disappointment on what T&T had become. He's right when he referred to the quality of threads back when TFL was new and shiny, and he's right when he says that a lot of the old Masters quit frequenting TFL because of the silliness.

But it isn't just the zombie threads and the SHTF threads. It also includes condescending replies to newbies that are asking what to them are serious questions. Some of the threads that we might deem as silly can be turned around into a serious discussion, but as Trip said, it's up to you.

So how 'bout it? Can we raise the bar once again here in T&T? Can we bring back and gain the respect of the Masters once again?

As Trip said, it's up to you.

saypek
September 26, 2006, 05:27 AM
As a membership we can turn what appear to be silly questions or topics into constructive discussions about more practical terms

I agree also.

OR.. (if that's hard to do depending on the level of silliness :D )

Maybe we could just stop replying to silly threads/ posts so as to minimize the silliness on this forum... and by doing that we can also avoid offending the poster, specially the sensitive ones.

bartonkj
September 26, 2006, 09:11 AM
I am reminded of a certain philosophy/observation I have made about society in general. I may have a hard time explaining it thoroughly in a short post.

If you think of this group as a moving entity with mass - most people are in the middle, fewer are on the fringe. The group moves in any given direction at a slow pace because of its mass. If you think of the individuals on the fringe as those that expend a great deal of energy to move the mass in a given direction you can draw a correlation between those that seem to have extreme ideas about what it means to be prepared and those that are more in the middle. The energy (or ideas if you will) of those on the fringe need to be extreme (as compared to the majority in the middle) in order to exert enough force to move the entire mass in a given direction.

In other words - I think it is good to see the thinking of people who one thinks are extreme because it helps one explore possibilities and better come to terms with what one should do to feel comfortable in one's daily living situation. The ideal is to observe, think, and grow from one's observations. You may not agree with what you think to be extreme behavoir but at least it gets you thinking about the topic and helps you move in a direction to be better prepared in your own mind.