PDA

View Full Version : Fall Turkey in MI

smithandwesson460
September 22, 2006, 04:44 PM
Tihs will be my first turkey hunt in the fall. So what are some suggestions for hunting in the fall? CALL OR NO CALL

castnblast
September 24, 2006, 08:23 AM
Good question, I've was wondering the same. My turkey hunting in the fall had always been incidental sitings while deer hunting in S. Tx. I hope someone will respond. I've heard them gobble, but never had a call with me. I'm curious how they would react, and what type of call to use. :confused:

biglabsrule
September 24, 2006, 10:06 AM
At a hunters safety course they recomend this(not sure if it works), break the flock up (pretty easy to do). Then use a call, the thought is the birds will come to you, Turkey's are a social animal and will want to meet back up with each other.

castnblast
September 25, 2006, 05:17 PM
I'll try that...Season opens saturday...So I'll gloat. I' GOING HUNTIN':D :D :D

Blackhawk Bob
September 26, 2006, 08:05 AM
A couple of different approaches here. Breaking up the flock and calling them back is the time honored method, and can work pretty well. The most difficult aspects are finding the flock, then moving in fast enough to get them to fly. Unless you run at them like a madman, yelling and waving your arms, the likely result will be they'll just stay together and run away from you. And unless you're a lot faster than me (that's not saying much), you won't flush 'em. In MI in fall, there's an alternative: use your dog. I have a GSP who can cover about 10 times the area I can when searching, and does a great job of flushing the flock. I've had several occasions where she'll stick a point, which gets pretty interesting, as time sort of stands still while you try to work your way into range. Once you bust the flock, quickly set up a small blind in the area of the flush, sit with your back against a tree, park your pup under your knees, and start calling.

The other alternative, which can also work pretty well if you're familiar with the property and have done your scouting, is the ambush approach. Where I hunt, the birds follow generally similar routes morning and evening, so you set up and wait, and occasionally they'll pass in range. I haven't had much luck trying to call 'em closer in this scenario, so it's just luck of the draw.

My typical MO is to set up an ambush first thing in the morning for an hour or so, go back to the truck to retrieve my four legged hunting buddy, and head out.