PDA

View Full Version : Doorbell rings at 2:45 AM...what do you do?

thebaldguy
September 19, 2006, 08:11 PM
I had seen a few of these stories posted before. I have had a previous experience with this as well. This happened early one morning. At 2:45 AM the doorbell rings. It woke us up. I waited, and it rang again and again. I obtained some protection, and went to check out the situation. The girlfriend was ready to call 911. I live in a duplex, and share a locked entry door with the neighbor. I can crack my front door open, and see who's outside the entry door.

It wasn't anyone I knew. He didn't dress like anyone I knew either. Full urban "Gangsta" complete with offset baseball hat and NBA jersey.

"Is T there?" he asked.

"No!" I yelled back. "You got the wrong address! Get out of here!"

"I just want to talk to T!" he said again.

The girl who lives next door is not known as "T" to the best of my knowledge.

I yelled back, "Get the **** outta here! You got the wrong house! Get outta here! I'm calling the cops!"

He then left, saying "You don't have to be an ***hole!" and preceded to tell me to ****off.

I watched him walk down the sidewalk until he disappeared. Our neighborhood has had occasional break-ins occur before. Years ago, they finally got some serial burglars that would use the knock and bash technique. If no one answered, the would kick the door in figuring the owners were gone. If someone answered, they would ask for somebody, then they would split. That's why I answered the door with protection. I didn't call the police; I know it's not against the law to ring someone's doorbell at 2:45 AM. However, I think next time I will dial 911, and they can deal with a suspicious person walking around the neighborhood in the middle of the night.

Do you think calling the police when someone who you consider suspicious knocks on the door is overreacting? Or is is a good idea? I'm starting to think it's a good idea.

cslinger
September 19, 2006, 08:21 PM
Roll over, think who the hell is ringing the doorbell, think if it is important and someboy I know they will call. Listen for breaking and entry. If no other noises are heard go back to bed. If break in noises are heard call 911, wait in bedroom with two 12 gauges pointed at door. If door is forced open many many .32 caliber pellets get fired. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

I don't answer doors at 2:45 AM without a call first.

Chris

springmom
September 19, 2006, 08:34 PM
I'd look out the peephole of my front door. D'uh.

Springmom

Dwight55
September 19, 2006, 08:56 PM
First, I would hope that I already heard from them before they got up on either of the porches where they could ring the bell.

Whether or not I did hear them, . . . they shouldn't see me, before I kick on the lights that illuminate them 100%, and will only do that after I am up, armed, and shoes on.

That is some of the advantages of a gravel driveway and living 600 ft off the road.

May God bless,
Dwight

pax
September 19, 2006, 11:35 PM
Grab fanny pack that lives next to my bed (in an unlocked lockbox -- bedroom door locked). Inside fanny pack is loaded gun, flashlight, cell phone, spare mag.

Grab robe.

Grab cordless phone and carry it to door with me. (Expect husband, IF he is home, and IF he woke up, to be holding the other cordless phone, and watching the hallway where the kids are.)

Look through peephole. Odds are it's (yet another) person who ran off the road into the ditch on our rural highway.

Shove cordless phone out the door at the person, unless they are visibly in need of *immediate* first aid, and let them call 911. Expect husband to listen in to give address details as necessary (and to make sure they're not calling China on our dime).

Go back to bed.

pax

Jason607
September 19, 2006, 11:37 PM
I like the idea of getting in position armed and safty off, and keep quiet, if he kicks in the door, well, that's one less criminal on the street.

kozak6
September 19, 2006, 11:46 PM
My brother has recently had some trouble with some drunks a few streets down, so I'd also have a phone handy, as well as a loaded shotgun and pistol.

Otherwise, I'd look out the front window there, unarmed.

chris in va
September 19, 2006, 11:52 PM
Sad that it's come to this. God help anybody that breaks down on the highway and goes to the nearest house...

Jason607
September 20, 2006, 12:09 AM
Your right, it is a sad world where everyone is suspicious of each other.

skeeter1
September 20, 2006, 01:57 AM
I live on a quiet side street in a fairly good neighborhood, BUT we have some pre-pubescent males here who like to ring doorbells and then run away. Their parents seem to be clueless about where they are.

I'm somewhat nocturnal, so I'm usually up late hours. If I'm still dressed, it means I've got a cellphone in my pocket.

I have had one 12-year-old down the street twist the knobs trying to get into the house. I hate that kid.

My first thing in the wee hours is to turn on every outside light and look to see who's there. If it isn't someone I recognize, that's when I drop the bedside gun into my pocket and call 911. If I don't know who's there, I don't open the door. Haven't had to fire that .38 for HD and hope I never have to.

tanksoldier
September 20, 2006, 02:51 AM
Read the first post. Does this REALLY sound like a breakdown to you?

I don't answer the door unarmed even in daylight, let alone after dark. After dark, they get told to go away thru a closed door. At 0245 I wouldn't even bother being polite about it.

If somebody knocks on my door at 0245 claiming a breakdown, I'll offer to call for help thru the closed door, but that's it. I'd probably just call the local PD (non-911) and let them deal with it.

EDIT: Unless you have no choice, don't use a peephole. The person outside can see it darken and could shoot thru the door, or kick it in at that moment hitting you in the face. Better to look thru a side window if you can.

Sad that it's come to this. God help anybody that breaks down on the highway and goes to the nearest house...

guntotin_fool
September 20, 2006, 03:16 AM
Just a few nights ago. door bell then firm knocks, 145 am.

I go down stairs to the door and flip on the front lights, I have streamlight and 45 in my hand. peak out the little window and it's a Cop, one I know.

Heart crashes to the floor, daughter is out for the evening supposedly at a sleep over but you know kids.....Open the door, flashlight and 45 still in hand, " Is it (daughter)" and his eyes pop open, " Ohhh no Do you own the red mitsubishi in the street?" Never has a cop said something that happy to me, No did not own the car, but it was one of daughters friends, she had left a back pack on the seat, someone broke in and grabbed the backpack.

We walked out the car, I found a sheet of plastic to cover the window and some tape, Got a broom too to sweep up the glass.

He said, he was not thinking when he banged on the door, he had seen the TV flickering in the window, son had fallen asleep with it on, and he figured we were up, Told him all I could think of was he was sent to us to notify us that (daughter) had been killed or injured in a crash. He said they never do that with just one cop, and usually try to find a Preacher when they do.

I offered him a coke when we were done, but he had just bought one when he had seen the broken glass in the street. Could not sleep till almost dawn after that.

skeeter1
September 20, 2006, 03:39 AM
Springmom--

Hate to burst your bubble, but those peepholes in the doors aren't all that secure.

http://www.spysite.com/product.php?productid=27717&cat=0

Any joe blow can buy one of these and use it to look INTO your house.

threegun
September 20, 2006, 06:11 AM
Before my brains had surpassed my testicles we had a knock on the door at grandmas house around 11pm (During the week I would stay at grannys because I worked next door). My grandmother asked who is it. We heard mumbled voices and yet another knock only harder. I sprung up and grabbed my mini-14 (all I had back then) I chambered a round and grandma opened the door. Nobody on the porch so I stepped out and looked both ways only to see two guys running away. Perhaps they heard the mini being chambered who knows, I do believe they were up to no good though. Now i would have called police after getting the mini........going outside was dumb. If they break in well.......thats dumb too.

BillCA
September 20, 2006, 07:50 AM
Like most of you, I'd get up and holler through the door, gun firmly in hand. Which gun is not important. Tactics and planning are.

As for peepholes... I keep a small 3M Post-It note over the peephole, negating the "advantage" of the darkened lens from the outside and the possibility that someone is using a reversing-lens to see inside.

If you're wearing shoes, before getting to the door, lift your toes up and dig your heel in so that your foot will jam the door if it's kicked. Yes, you may break a toe or two if it happens, but at that point I'll be firing on my way backwards.

It's generally recommended that you say nothing when peeping out the peep hole and then step aside of the door before answering. Doors don't stop bullets. If you can turn on the porch lights without being behind the door, do it, otherwise move quickly aside when you do.

If someone did run off the road or is asking for help, call the PD for them. Ask if they or anyone else is hurt.

bdcochran
September 20, 2006, 08:01 AM
1. I don't have a doorbell and my neighbors know that.
2. the only people who knock are the magazine, cookie, religion, real estate sellers.

atlctyslkr
September 20, 2006, 08:07 AM
People that know me know to call first. I don't acknowledge the uninvited. I've never had anyone show up at my door uninivited at anytime actually have something meaningful to me to talk about.

Trip20
September 20, 2006, 08:54 AM
This happened to me some time last year. It was about 3am. I remember being extremely irritated because I had to work the next day so it had to be any day but Friday or Saturday. I can't remember exactly.

Found out it's some dude in his early-mid 20's asking for some girl named whatever I can't remember. He had obviously been drinking. Probably looking for the bar rag for which he'd been buying drinks all night. After creatively telling him what I thought of him and his mistake of waking me up, I went back to bed but hardly slept due to being so mad.

Had .45 and flashlight in hand from the moment I woke up and realized what was going on. Never needed it, which is thankfully always the case.

AirForceShooter
September 20, 2006, 01:24 PM
Remember for a parent the only thing worse than a wrong number at 3:00am is a right number.

AFS

tegemu
September 20, 2006, 03:08 PM
As a Certified "Old Fogey" that lives alone, I wear a "Help I've fallen and can't get up button." One press and all hell breaks loose. The Fire Station where the Rescue Squad and Fire Engine, both respond, is about 1/4 mile away and a Sheriff's sub-station one block further. They will all be on the way. Wheeeee!!

Glockoma
September 20, 2006, 03:51 PM
I suspect a rung doorbell correlates with a lower rate of criminal intent than would a stealthier type of nightly contact, such as someone snooping around or quietly tugging on door handles.

My response would vary depending on what I observe, and who else is with me in the house. The wife and other family are all gun-friendly and have some training, so having a full house means I'd have a lot of help should anything crazy go down.

thebaldguy
September 20, 2006, 06:06 PM
I spoke with a police officer about the incident. He said don't hesitate to call if you think someone suspicious is knocking at the door. They can handle it. They can confront the individual and find out what's going on.

I also noticed that the person unscrewed my light bulbs in my motion light. That's why it was so dark when I peeked out. That seems suspicious to me...

We have had several knock and smash robberies in my city. They knock on the door, and if no one answers, the kick the door in and take what they can. I let him know that someone was home, and that he wasn't welcome. Crime is way up here in Minneapolis, along with our taxes.

I will not be a victim.

BobGnKY
September 20, 2006, 06:30 PM
I live in an old house in a quiet town. Our front door has a big (2'x4') single pane window in it, and a large sidelight on either side (with 20" x 64" single pane windows in them). Although it may provide a seemingly tactical disadvantage, I also feel that I could readily see someone right outside the door. If I got a knock at 2:45 AM, however, you can bet that I wouldn't be going downstairs unarmed and carefully. I hope no one would be foolish enough to try a knock and smash here

Kreyzhorse
September 20, 2006, 06:38 PM
Any strange bumps, bangs or knocks always are received with a loaded handgun. A glock 22 and/or a S&W 637 live within arms reach at all times. My thought is if someone knocks or is generally sniffing around my house after dark is there for no good reason. I generally do not turn on any lights and investigate in stealth mode. I do not answer my door any time after 11pm but would be ready.

springmom
September 20, 2006, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the info about the peepholes, even that delivered in a less than friendly manner.

Of course, if it's 3 a.m. their reverse spyhole gizmo better have night vision because they're going to be looking into a very dark house. So I'm not sure how that would work... :confused:

Springmom

bennnn
September 20, 2006, 07:23 PM
The peephole reverser foiled by a post it note... I love it. I tried the post it note cover out and here's what I saw; the yellow ones still let someone outside (in the dark) see a slight darkening of the peep if there is a light on inside.. But if it's dark inside... It's great..

armedandsafe
September 20, 2006, 08:27 PM
(and to make sure they're not calling China on our dime).

A cell phone without service can still call 911 without charge. IIRC, that is federal law/regulation. Check around GoodWill, senior centors, thrift stores. You can find a cell phone and charger for just a few bucks and keep it plugged in next to the door.

Pops

reils49
September 21, 2006, 01:34 PM
This same situation happened to me. I reacted the same way.

Ranger325
September 21, 2006, 03:18 PM
Doorbell at the front at 3:00 am??
Let the Weimaraners out the back door first......................:D

Regards,

Samurai
September 21, 2006, 03:57 PM
Step 1. Jump up so hard I hit my head on the ceiling fan. Curse the ceiling fan. Curse whoever hung it. Curse myself for leaving it on.

Step 2. Grab a katana. Realize that's not the right one. Grab another one. Curse whoever left all these stupid katanas laying around. (Oh, wait... It was me... Man, it's late!)

Step 3. Finally arrive at the correct katana. It's the one that I got at the pawn shop a few years ago. It's made out of 550 stainless! It has a gold spray-painted tsuba (hand-guard)! I sharpened it myself! ...with a Dremmel tool!!!

Step 4. Maneuver toward the door. Stumble on piles of laundry. Curse laundry. Curse whoever's job it is to do the laundry. (Oh, wait... it's me again...)

Step 5. Proceed down the hallway. Knock EVERY SINGLE picture off the wall along the way. Curse designer of hallway.

Step 6. Stub my toe REALLY HARD on the bag full of bokens and katanas sitting in the living room, behind the couch, on the way to the front door. Curse all that is holy. Curse bag. Curse contents. Curse self for leaving bag there... (you get the idea...)

Step 7. Take a position beside the door. Draw katana and hold it overhead, facing the door.

Step 8. In a single swift, fluid motion, cut downward with katana, severing the doorbell box from the door. Experience elation that the doorbell is now dead. Perform ritual bloodshedding movement (chiburi) with katana. Return katana to saya (scabbard).

Step 9. Return katana to shelf over headboard. Go back to bed.

Chris Phelps
September 22, 2006, 09:37 AM
Doorbell rings at 2:45AM... I answer it. It's so common it isnt even funny... and its always one of two friends.

Duxman
September 22, 2006, 12:10 PM
A similar incident happened during the course of the summer.

Knock on door (No doorbell) at around 11:45 pm. Wife was away at sister's in VA Beach so I knew that no one was coming around. I picked up 12 ga and pumped one round into chamber and walked downstairs.

Turned on lights in the front and checked out visitor through side window. Some young kid asking if this house was where the party was. Hmmm....Party at a dark, noiseless home.

Told him he was at wrong address (did not open door or show him the 12 ga.) via window partially obstructed by wall cover.

He drove away and never heard from him again. Was alert for the rest of the night though.

FLA2760
September 22, 2006, 04:40 PM
LOL Springmom; that puts me in mind of the Sienfeld episode where Kramer reversed his peephole. That is a good piece of information though I was not aware of such a device. :cool:

tuckerdog1
September 22, 2006, 06:04 PM
It's been years ago, but had the doorbell ring around 0300. Lived in not so good a neighborhood, but suspected it was a friend who's an alcoholic. Either way, I was ******, because I work early & my sleep cycle was now shot for the night. Looked out the peephole, and saw a young woman ( late teens early twenties ), crying and asking for help. There is a low row of hedges near our front door, and possible someone could be crouching down behind those hedges, ready to jump up as soon as I unlock & open the door. So I did have a gun in my robe pocket. Turns out though, she had just been raped & dumped a couple blocks away. She'd been going door to door asking for help, but nobody would answer their door.

Tuckerdog1

smallshot
September 22, 2006, 09:34 PM
Living in the sticks in Wyoming, I would :
A- Have to assume that before making it to my door he/she has already disabled or killed my dogs and
B- is performing a threat check to see if anyone is home
ergo - go out another door and Shoot them - then get the backhoe out.

Just kidding.

Walter
October 2, 2006, 08:03 PM
If my doorbell rings at 2:30 in the morning, after I grab my bedside pistol,
I will proceed to my living room where I will turn on the TV. With the TV
being previously set on Video 1 channel, the camera mounted over the
front door of my house will show me what, or who, is happening outside.

I will make appropriate decisions after viewing the video.

Modern technology is great, ain't it? :rolleyes:

Walter

Powderman
October 3, 2006, 12:41 AM
Someone mentioned this in passing...

but if you have a peephole, do NOT have any lights on when you check it. Also, if you are suspicious of who is at your door, call out "Who is it?" and then move. Do not EVER stand directly behind a door that you are answering.

TwoKings
October 13, 2006, 05:51 AM
I posted in another thread here about having thugs bang on my apartment door when I lived in a bad neighborhood during college a few years ago (also have stories of said thugs trying to kick my neighbor's door down).

I quickly bought a shotgun and realized that apartments advertising "panic" buttons in each room were not meaning it to be a feature to make us feel safe, but to report the crimes to come.

If it were to happen now, I would arm myself and make sure they knew it by racking the slide of my handgun or shotgun by the door. I would be very aggressive and have my girlfriend ready to dial "911".

I have also had the pleasure of waking up at 5 am only to find strangers in my living room watching TV and drinking my beer because my roomate forgot the lock the door...they were drunk and had mistaken my place for the one a floor up and quickly felt my wrath...NO ONE takes MY beer.

Like many have said...Nothing good ever happens after midnight...lucky for me, I am a night owl and stay up until 3 am every morning. The lights and TV are always on, so that might detract some people.

HangFire83
October 13, 2006, 07:37 AM
My apartment has an intercom so I can key that up from the top of the stairs and avoid the whole "in front of the door" situation. Friends all know how to reply, and I can tell by their voice if it's a friend or someone I don't know. If the late night visitor doesn't i.d. themselves correctly I don't go down stairs. If they decide to kick the door in, they have a narrow stairwell they have to come up to get to the rest of the apartment with me at the top with my .45 and 12 230gr jhp's I pulled from the hideaway picture frame right above the intercom.

Maui19
October 13, 2006, 08:50 AM
Even though I live in a pretty rural area, I do get people knocking on my door at night. If this happened at 3am, I'd grab my 12 ga, throw on the exterior floods, and "answer" the door from a second floor window above the main entrance. The wife would have the phone in hand.

mfree
October 13, 2006, 09:04 AM
When I bought my place, it had and still has a glass front door. Now, originally there was nothing in front of it and I did *not* like that, you could see right in like an open window, etc. So I hung a big floor to ceiling blind on it.

Now, why not replace it, asides from the money?

1. you can't just "bust in" or knock me aside, you'll just put your foot/shoulder through the door

2. It's double paned tempered, break it and you make one hell of a noise and cover yourself in sharp little squares (i.e. evidence, which will prove that the corpse laying on the living room floor broke in)

3. It transmits sound well enough to talk through

And if anyone just picks the lock, I have a wind chime hung from the ceiling right behind the door. *I* know it's there, but anyone who opens the door too far too fast makes a heck of a racket.

Now, to answer the original question, if someone rings my doorbell at 2:45am I grab my pistol and before I even approach the door I look to see what's in my driveway... if they walked up, they turned on the motion detecting floodlights and I can see all the way to the street and beyond. I know what my friends drive, so I know right off if it's someone I know. Then I'll pop a slat in the blind up and look from off to the side, which isn't always successful because of the angle, so I'd be exposed for a bit... darkness and reverse glare is my cover, there's an outside light just above the door and that pretty much ensures you can't see in. And then, we talk through the door.

My entry is also about 5' up from the level of the yard and the porch isn't deep enough there to get much of a running start at the door. If you kick the door and it doesn't give, you may very well find yourself taking a backwards tumble over the railing onto my nice sharp holly.

StayCool
October 14, 2006, 06:29 PM
What to do about 2:45am doorbell?........

First: Stay Cool-probably will amount to nothing.
2nd: Collect thoughts-clear head of sleep (if sleeping)
3rd: Arm self (if that is your choice) plus have phone with you or near.
4th: Investigate without letting door bell ringer know you are present.
5th: Remember-You don't HAVE TO open the door for ANYONE.
6th: Consider talking to person from open window-not open door.
7th: Call in an airstrike as a precaution-move to bunker.:rolleyes:
8th: Return to previous activity.

User14
October 14, 2006, 07:42 PM
Curse yourself for not placing enough smart mines.

MostToysWins
October 14, 2006, 08:15 PM
Step 1. Jump up so hard I hit my head on the ceiling fan. Curse the ceiling fan. Curse whoever hung it. Curse myself for leaving it on.

Step 2. Grab a katana. Realize that's not the right one. Grab another one. Curse whoever left all these stupid katanas laying around. (Oh, wait... It was me... Man, it's late!)

Step 3. Finally arrive at the correct katana. It's the one that I got at the pawn shop a few years ago. It's made out of 550 stainless! It has a gold spray-painted tsuba (hand-guard)! I sharpened it myself! ...with a Dremmel tool!!!

Step 4. Maneuver toward the door. Stumble on piles of laundry. Curse laundry. Curse whoever's job it is to do the laundry. (Oh, wait... it's me again...)

Step 5. Proceed down the hallway. Knock EVERY SINGLE picture off the wall along the way. Curse designer of hallway.

Step 6. Stub my toe REALLY HARD on the bag full of bokens and katanas sitting in the living room, behind the couch, on the way to the front door. Curse all that is holy. Curse bag. Curse contents. Curse self for leaving bag there... (you get the idea...)

Step 7. Take a position beside the door. Draw katana and hold it overhead, facing the door.

Step 8. In a single swift, fluid motion, cut downward with katana, severing the doorbell box from the door. Experience elation that the doorbell is now dead. Perform ritual bloodshedding movement (chiburi) with katana. Return katana to saya (scabbard).

Step 9. Return katana to shelf over headboard. Go back to bed.

WOW, this is exactly what I would do!

:D :D :D :D

Doggieman
October 16, 2006, 09:48 PM
hmm.. I live in a beach town, a real southern california beach town that gets all sorts of vagrants, long hairs, surfers, stoners etc. wandering through. 99% are peaceful, but the ones you have to watch out for are the drunk ones or the ones on meth.

I live in an apt building jammed in between two others where everybody is pretty much aware of who's supposed to be there and who isn't. If somebody knocked on my door at 3 am about a half dozen other households would know it. So it would either be someone I know (probably not) or somebody who's got the wrong apt. Probably would look out the window with gun in hand. Somebody breaks in and 911 gets called by a neighbor before I'm even fully awake.

Recon7
October 17, 2006, 12:56 AM
have a light on your front porch area that is already on so you don't let him know you are home by turning it on and keep the room behind the door dark. I am a big fan of metal security doors. if i open the door i can see you and talk to you and still have a barrier between us.

BamaXD
October 17, 2006, 03:05 PM
If anybody should be knocking on my door or ringing the doorbell that early in the morning, they had better be driving a car with "police interceptor" written on the trunk with red and blue lights mounted on the roof. Other than that, I will be armed, talk to whoever through door, solve the issue and go back to bed. Generally oppurtunity knocks, trouble kicks in the door. -BamaXD

OJ
October 18, 2006, 12:36 PM
In my last three houses, I installed a bay window above and overlooking the front door. Thus, I never answer the front door - day or night - without checking the "visitor" from a protected position above.

:D

Recon7
October 18, 2006, 03:40 PM
oj I like the bay windows, a good place for a support by fire element while the manuvering element opens the door.

OJ
October 18, 2006, 04:22 PM
oj I like the bay windows, a good place for a support by fire element while the manuvering element opens the door.

Thanks. I should have included this picture of the bay window with my "alarm system" and - you hit the nail on the head although, if we don't approve, the door never gets opened and the "firing element" (me with my Colt's Series 70 Government Model 45 ACP) has a clear shot if it appears there is intent to intrude uninvited. The front door is 1/2 level down from the window on the left so they have the disadvantage of having to look up while I'm looking down - a very real tactical advantage.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/P2240001.jpg

These two have a "defense plan" - Drown'em in Drool - but their size (brindle 187# & fawn 202# yesterday) makes them look impressive despite their very gentle nature. They are help with solicitors, though. They bark (about 110 decibels each) during the pitch and, after about the third time I tell the solicitor I can't hear them - they just throw up their hands and leave. ;)

:D :D

shade
October 18, 2006, 08:06 PM
Samurai, might want to be carefull with the katana over the headboard. I used to keep one there too, until my apartment building was hit by a drunk driver. After going outside to see what happened, and going back to bed, I noticed it had almost fallen off the headboard (on me). Moved quite a bit. Yeah it was sheathed, but not a risk I want to take. Stays on the dresser now.

On topic though, I've had to go for a gun a lot of times in my old neighborhood. Most ironic time though was one morning when I came home from working 3rd shift. Was in the living room on the PC looking for apartments. The place had been hit by a drunk driver, and the front door had been kicked in a week prior. Figured it was time to get out. While apartment browsing, I hear a thud sound in the hallway. Open my door, look out, and the recently fixed door was busted in AGAIN. Darted back into the apartment, got my pistol, and took another look. Heard the guy hiding on the stairs. Went back inside, locked & chained the door, and continued apartment shopping with pistol right next to the mouse.

Never did bother to call the cops, the apt they kept trying to rob had a lot of shady stuff going on. And everybody else in the building was gone. In retrospect though, I really should have called the cops.

mutski
October 20, 2006, 12:48 AM
We've been blessed for most of our lives to live in small towns where everybody knows everyone and nobody locks their doors. The America we ought to live in - wish it was more pervasive. Sad to hear of the paranoia elsewhere.

We did have one relevant experience, though. Shortly after we were married we were asleep, heard someone trying the doorknob. I took a 12-gauge shotgun and opened the door... found our kitten hanging from the doorknob. :eek: Oh my goodness! Always look before you shoot.

tanksoldier
October 20, 2006, 03:25 AM
I had a Sergeant Major who used to say that. During holiday safety briefings he would say that if you were out on the town and you hadn't hooked up by midnight, or otherwise found what you were looking for/ had your fun, go home and go to bed because anything after midnight was probably trouble.

So, at one battalion formation he says "Somebody called me at 0200 from a pay phone to say "Hey Sergeant Major, something good happened after midnight! I got laid! To that person, I hope you got AIDS."

Like many have said...Nothing good ever happens after midnight...lucky for me, I am a night owl and stay up until 3 am every morning

Jayb
October 20, 2006, 12:05 PM
If the door bell rings at 0230, my 70 pound chow will have alerted us at 0229, which will find me at the door armed, and wife with 911 on the phone.

If the dog doesn't alert us, he's been had, and then it's 911, and defend our room.

Doggieman
October 20, 2006, 12:29 PM
yeah, a properly trained dog is probably the best home defense, after a properly locked door.

Glenn Bartley
October 27, 2006, 01:02 PM
If my door bell rings at 0200, I would probably only wake up if the dogs started barking. The three of them barking together, I wouold guess, sounds pretty scary to any potential bad guy.

If someone was still tyrying to get in after they started barking, well then I would think it pretty important, but I would not open the door for a stranger; I would do my talking from the window while discretely armed.

If need be I would not hesitate to call the police if the person was unknown to me and kept insisting on coming inside. Of course I would also call the police for other reasons, such as said person claimed they were just in an accident. Unless I saw mangled or badly bleeding body parts, I maybe would wait for the ambulance or police to show up before venturing outside.

Doggieman
October 27, 2006, 08:59 PM
there's actually a story around my area where a woman was coming to doors at night with fake blood on her and saying she was in an accident and then robbing (I guess with accomplices) the folks who opened the doors. Best idea is to always call the cops -- let's face it you're not an EMT and probably can't do much anyway.

BIGR
October 27, 2006, 09:16 PM
First of all I don't have a doorbell. They will have to knock. I live a good ways off of the main road, and a creek is between the house and the road. I would probably hear my sisters dogs next door barking first. My brother in is well armed too and hopefully would be checking things out to see what was bothering the dogs. Someone comes knocking that time of the morning its probably trouble. I would have to go towards the door well armed.

Blackwater OPS
October 27, 2006, 09:53 PM
If the door bell rings at 0230, my 70 pound chow will have alerted us at 0229, which will find me at the door armed, and wife with 911 on the phone.

You are calling 911 for the doorbell ringing?!?..." What is the nature of your emergency? My doorbell...IT RINGS!!!!":eek: :rolleyes:

FS2K
October 27, 2006, 11:40 PM
Better safe than sorry. Right?

Freetacos
October 27, 2006, 11:44 PM
get a doorbell than makes the sound of a shotgun being racked

shooter71
November 1, 2006, 09:20 PM
roll out of bed, splash some water on my face to wake up more, grab gun maybe a light..run to the bedroom that faces the driveway , peek out window to see if i spot a car, or person standing at the door, if its a car i know id go to the door, still carrying my gun of course turn on all outside lights..if its a car i dont know or no car at all..id wait a few mins to see if they kept ringing the doorbell..since it could be a neighbor in trble..i could go on but u get the idea

PROCEED WITH CAUTION is the main thing to this story no matter what the senario is

The Canuck
November 1, 2006, 10:53 PM
02:45hrs...

Jeebus.

I'd push a primed CS cannister out the mail slot and go back to bed.

I don't care who you are at 02:45hrs.

Clanky
November 2, 2006, 11:09 PM
One of the best things to have is a porch light that comes on when it gets dark.

It's simple and it reduces the bad guys advantage by lighting the potential scene of the crime. Just like mushrooms and newlyweds, they love to do their thing in the dark.