PDA

View Full Version : Remington 750 Woodsmaster

ghettoestl
September 14, 2006, 01:39 AM
has anybody heard anything about the new remington 750 woodsmaster? quality? accuracy? reliability? durability? its supposed to replace the 7400 autoloader and solve all of the problems the 7400 had.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_750_woodsmaster.asp

biglabsrule
September 14, 2006, 08:25 AM
I don't understand what the acutal differences are. IMO it's simply a way to make people pay more for the same gun. The 7400 is no longer being manufactured in wood stocks, you now have to buy a 750 at increased price to get wood stocks. Bit fish IMO. Only major difference I can see is the molding of the front stock is more erganomic, oh and comes with swivel studs for a sling.

ghettoestl
September 14, 2006, 09:43 AM
well the 750 is supposed to be able to handle high powered rounds where the 7400 would screw up all the time. its not supposed to be just looks that are different

Fat White Boy
September 14, 2006, 05:45 PM
My 7400 shot great, I never had a malfunction shooting it. The problem I had was keeping the scope zeroed in. I tried a Bushnell, a Simmons and a Leupold but none of them would hold zero...I finally sold it and bought a Remington 700VLS in .308....

FirstFreedom
September 14, 2006, 05:46 PM
but it's supposed to have an improved gas system for reliability, and a more-dropped comb, for a better cheekweld / sight pic.

oldbillthundercheif
September 14, 2006, 09:14 PM
That is one ugly rifle.

Looks like a winchester 1300 shotgun that needs to eat a sandwich. Skinny, lumpy, and a dull finish... no thanks.

ghettoestl
September 14, 2006, 09:54 PM
The 750 has improved ammo-feed reliability.

-- Field and Stream

The Model 7400 semi-auto has been cashiered in favor of the new Model 750 Woodsmaster. The autoloader offers an improved gas system, redesigned fore-end and a new stock design. Its magazine box is interchangeable with the Model 7400's. Available in rifle and carbine configurations, the Model 750 is chambered to .243, .308, .270 Win., .30-06 and .35 Whelen.

-- Petersen's Hunting

ghettoestl
September 15, 2006, 06:53 PM
i wonder if the 750 will have problems holding zero with the scopes? what does everyone think about the 7400?

hossdaniels
September 16, 2006, 11:54 AM
i'd save for a few more weeks and get the BAR, much better rifle for a few more dollars.

jhgreasemonkey
September 16, 2006, 12:35 PM
Do they make the 10 rd mags for the 750?

FirstFreedom
September 16, 2006, 01:56 PM
Yes, they make the 10 round mags - same ones work as they do in a 7400. BAR doesn't come in .35 Whelen. I don't find it ugly at all - personal choice. Still want one. :)

jhgreasemonkey
September 16, 2006, 03:18 PM
I'd like one also.

BusGunner007
September 16, 2006, 04:16 PM
.35 Whelen Carbine. :D

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_750_woodsmaster_specs.asp
http://www.remington.com/images/products/firearms/centerfire/lgsil_750c.jpg

biglabsrule
September 16, 2006, 06:53 PM
Don't recomend buying one for any high capacity semi type stuff. I bought a brand new 7400 last november, then bought two all steel Triple - k magazines, 10round. They are terrible to use, never feed properly, need to sand them more to get them to load properly. One note, the 7600,7400, 750 magazines are all inerchangeable to be honest, have two model 760's and the 7400. The only difference is the 7400 has a build in last shot hold open while 7600 mag's dont as they are pumps. My opinion is it makes a great brush gun, that's what it's designed for(carbine's, .35 wheln, "woodsmaster").

ghettoestl
September 16, 2006, 07:23 PM
does anyone know the country that browning firearms are made?

FirstFreedom
September 16, 2006, 07:30 PM
Most Brownings (if not all) are made in the Miroku plant in Japan, IINM. But there may be some made in Belgium or the U.S.A. You're asking about Brownings, not Remingtons, right?

TPAW
September 16, 2006, 07:50 PM
As I remember, Belgium grade BAR's are not fully made and assembled in Belgium, nor have they been for years. The parts are being farmed out to other countries for assembly, and also produce in other countries. To find a "true" Belgium grade Browning today in clean condition is not easy. And they are pricey.
That being said, with the price of a Remington 750 ($769) and a Browning BAR relatively close ($889), I'd put my money on a Browning.

W02054 BROWNING BAR Mark II Lightweight 30-06 cal. 20" with sights, WALNUT STOCKS, New in Carton, $889.00

ghettoestl
September 16, 2006, 08:26 PM
ya see thats exactly what i was thinkin!:D thats y i didnt get a winchester 1300 i got an 870 instead! remingtons are made in the us so im thinkin thats what im goin for. The Fine Gun Room at Bass Pro Shops quoted me a price of 928.55 (that includes tax) for the 750 Woodsmaster and a Red Head Epic Scope and Leupold rings and they are going to mount it and boresight it. I'm also going to get my initials engraved on it at 10 bucks a letter. The gun alone is 649.99

Big-Foot
September 16, 2006, 09:14 PM
Mine is assembled in Portugal. I have no complaints about it.

Go to the Greaybeard forums and read the Autoloader section. There are lots of unhappy Rem 750 owners posting there. Gee, they jam, just like the 740, then the 7400, then the 74, and the model 4 imagine that. Let me guess, the next "improved" model will be designated the 7500.

ghettoestl
September 16, 2006, 10:39 PM
well **** big foot that is disturbing. the browning is lookin better all the time. what about a beretta or benelli autoloader? which semiauto rifle would you have if you could have any? guns are so damn american they should be made in america :( :(

ghettoestl
September 17, 2006, 09:27 PM
i dont get these poll numbers! :confused: the people voting like it. and the people writing are either eh or hate it.

Big-Foot
September 17, 2006, 10:12 PM
Well a sample of eight isn't very scientific.:D

jbirdhaffield
September 18, 2006, 04:28 PM
Please do not waiste your money. I bought one in the .270 caliber brought it to the range and it jammed on my third shot. They obviously did not improve a thing. I should have listened to the guy who told me not to buy one and go with the BAR because he was absolutely correct.

FirstFreedom
September 18, 2006, 04:43 PM
Go to the Greaybeard forums and read the Autoloader section. There are lots of unhappy Rem 750 owners posting there. Gee, they jam, just like the 740, then the 7400, then the 74, and the model 4 imagine that.
Hmm, well this is an interesting development indeed....

guntotin_fool
September 18, 2006, 11:07 PM
Considering that we used to sell tons of 740's and 7400's and we would never get a CLEAN one back for service, I wonder who all these so called experts are.

You do not sell over a million of a rifle that suck that bad. Remington sold a million 7400's, keep them clean, use factory mags, and use factory or factory equivalent ammo, and they work just find. If you use low power handloads, or try to shoot mongo handloads in them, they will not cycle properly. We found 99% of the troubles were traced to rifles being incredibly dirty. Clean and lubed rifles always worked.

My old shop has sold several 750's and they have never had one come back. This is a design that remington has really had the time to iron out the details.

remington750
January 25, 2007, 01:07 AM
Best gun I have ever purchased, very accurate and undoubtedly the fastest gun in the woods!! very fast. I love everything about it, it blows the old 7400 model away.

ZeroJunk
January 25, 2007, 07:40 AM
They explain the improvement at the Remington website.Part of it was changing the angle of the gas ports so they don't stop up or not as fast.I have a friend of mine who told me this week that he has a 742 that he has shot 2500 times with no problems.Even considering it to be a big exaggeration,the gun has been shot a lot.All of this bad press is great.You can buy one used for nothing, clean it the way it's supposed to be cleaned and have a good truck gun for $250-$300.

FirstFreedom
January 26, 2007, 01:24 PM
Gee, what a shocker that a single-post troll calling himself rem750 would glowingly praise subject rifle in vague terms in run-on sentences, without any analysis behind it. :rolleyes:

Trip20
January 26, 2007, 06:34 PM
Gee, isn't it possible that reading this thread prompted an unregistered guest to put in his opinion? And isn't it possible that in the haste of registering he chose an unimaginative user name related to the subject that initiated his interest in posting?

"Hi, you're a troll, you don't have a thousand posts, and because your opinion wasn't backed up with a lengthy dissertation chock full of scientific analysis, it doesn't count." <-----What a nice way to say hello. :rolleyes:

2faroffroad
January 30, 2007, 06:41 PM
I bought a 750 30-06 for x-mas. I'm hate to say but I've had problems from day 1. I should of bought a bolt in stead of a semi. This gun is nice and I love it but It want autoload, It will reload but only on the 1 & 2 shot but only if it is cold I've never got the 3nd to reload. Once I get my 2nd shot off it want reload at all. Its ******* me off, I've only had it 2 months and I sent it off for repairs and just got it back last week, shot it today and same problem so now I'm searching for help. I've cleaned it, so I'll try this weekend to shoot it again... I ran across this thread looking for someone with the same problem, If anyone please e-mail me Richard@2faroffroad.com

onlybrowning
January 31, 2007, 12:00 AM
My friend bought one new this year in 30-06. Tried five or six different cartridge weights and brands, and it ALWAYS jammed. He sent it back to Remington, got it back and it still jammed EVERY SINGLE TIME after the second shot. He tried a new clip as well. i could not find anything obviously wrong with it, but Remington didn't either. Could just be a lemon, but I don't know.

AZGunLover
January 31, 2007, 12:42 AM
Well it's definitely not going to win a beauty contest.

bettingthehorses
February 27, 2007, 02:27 PM
Perhaps my Remington auto experience may help 2faroffroad and others having feeding problems. Around 15 years ago I traded a Winchester 670 for a Remington 742, and the guy told me the 742 jammed which it did with bullet nose jamming into feed ramp only on right side of magazine. Using pliers and a handerchief to avoid scratchting magazine, I bent upward on magazine lip enough to allow rounds to pop up at greater angle and feed properly with no more jams in 15 years. Recently I purchased a 750 in 35 Whelen which had the opposite problem, i.e. rounds were popping up at too great an angle resulting in jam into top of chamber only on right side of magazine. Using same procedure of 15 years ago but bending inward on magazine lip until proper feed angle was achieved resulted in flawless feed for the new rifle. Note manual cycle of rounds from magazine is necessary to easily identify the problem which may be undetectable by actual firing. This procedure may not help all, but it should help where this magazine flaw is the culprit. BTW I've had a Remington model 4 in 308 for about 10 years which has never had any problem, and all things considered I like Remington autos. Incidentally I shoot only handloads in all centerfires including the autos in case anybody's interested.

It's somewhat surprising folks have guns returned after supposed repair without fixing the problem, and you'd think Remington should be able to figure it out if I can. However, around a dozen years ago the agency I worked for had S&W 9mm autos with cracked frames problems for which S&W just replaced the frames without fixing the cause of frames cracking which I had identified. I won't go into those details since it's unrelated to this topic, but it just amazes me how inept manufacturers can be in some instances.

2rugers
February 28, 2007, 06:40 PM
Here goes. I own two 7400's.
One is a glossy stock 22" bbl. .243, wifes gun.
Second is a satin stocked 30-06 carbine. we have fired literally hundreds of rds. through both rifles and have had exactly ONE jam to date.
The rifle was the '06 and the ammo was military surplus tracers.
Stopped firing that stuff through it after that.
Now, the reason we have fired so many rds. especially in the .243 is because it will not stay zeroed year in and year out.
Both rifles have redfield mounts and simmons 44 mag scopes, 30-06 stays put, .243 doesn't even after disassembly of mounts and rings, loctite, screw change etc.?? Individual Scope??? Mount???
Both are very accurate. The .243 likes remington 80 gr sp's. The '06 will put three rem. 150 gr ballistic tips into 1" repeatedly year in and year out.
The only real complaint from either of us other than zero with the .243, is that they are heavy.
Just recently got a good deal on a 30-06 7600 and have not had a chance to really put it to the test, but it is very light weight.
Great guns for the money IMNSHO.

Dogjaw
March 1, 2007, 06:19 AM
i wonder if the 750 will have problems holding zero with the scopes? what does everyone think about the 7400?

I've had a 7400 in 06 for 15 years. I have no idea what's up with that comment/question/concern. Someone's not mounting a scope right, as the semi-auto has a lot less recoil than a bolt gun. I've never had an scope issue. My 7400 shoots as good as many bolt guns.

bettingthehorses
March 1, 2007, 09:50 AM
Another possible cause of not holding zero is a defect in the scope. I've had no problems in over 30 years rifle shooting with Bushnell or Tasco scopes. My favorite is the Busnell Banner which rivals some $150 to $200 IMO for brightness and sharpness. A friend has had problems with 2 Simmons scopes that had to be sent off for repair. Leupold, Nikon and others are very good quality but a bit pricey for me especially considering my track record with the Bushnell Banner.

Gewehr98
March 1, 2007, 10:15 AM
It gave me fits with respect to reliability, and that stamped checkering? :eek:
When a gorgeous 1969 Belgian BAR in .30-06 made itself available, I traded the 742 with some cash in a New York minute for the BAR. I don't regret the trade at all, and the BAR has been absolutely flawless, either with my handloads or with factory ammo.

Unless the "new" 750 is a totally different gun, I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

bettingthehorses
March 1, 2007, 01:32 PM
The Rmington 750 is noticeably lighter than either the BAR or earlier Remingtons, but long term reliability of the 750 is yet unproven. However, the only problem I've experienced with any Remington is that magazine flaw that's fairly easy to fix, and the 750 would be my choice until and unless the 750 proves unreliable in some other way. Once I had a 1970 BAR fail to feed at all due to disentigration of plastic spacer between receiver and recoil spring, but its replacement recovered normal function. Some part failure and replacement may be expected with any gun, and I gave that example only to point out even the much touted BAR isn't perfect as is no gun.

Gewehr98
March 1, 2007, 02:05 PM
But my own Belgian BAR is perfection. YMMV, of course. :D

http://mauser98.com/barbenchweaverright2.jpg

Dogjaw
March 2, 2007, 06:13 AM
Trying to compare the quality of stocks from Remington is like comparing apples to oranges. You can pretty much tell where that gun was purchased by the wood. A rifle bought from a big box store was not the same as bought from a conventional gun shop. Big box guns had stamped checkering and cheap wood. A gun shop rifle like mine is a totally different rifle, and has cut checkering and quality wood and bluing.

bettingthehorses
June 16, 2007, 08:11 PM
Is the Remington 750 trigger easily adjustable, or does it require gun smith to adjust it? My 750 is accurate and functions well, but trigger is considerably heavier than I like. I've not actually measured it, but it feels like it's 8 plus pounds.

smiljko
June 17, 2007, 03:22 AM
"Is the Remington 750 trigger easily adjustable, or does it require gun smith to adjust it? My 750 is accurate and functions well, but trigger is considerably heavier than I like. I've not actually measured it, but it feels like it's 8 plus pounds."

I own a 7400 and my trigger is awfull also-it has 3 stages-I tried to lube it but it didnt help,I could live with heavy trigger,but that creep is realy bothering me-is there anything that could be done.

Art Eatman
June 17, 2007, 08:27 AM
I never saw a trigger that was welded in place, which sez the trigger assembly can be removed and a decent gunsmith can perform sanitation exercises on it...

Art

bettingthehorses
June 17, 2007, 08:42 AM
My 750 is new and only been shot about 20 times which shouldn't be any kind of cleaning issue, but it just has a heavy trigger. I also have a Remington model 4 with a decent trigger, and a friend has a 742 with a decent trigger. I have a sporterized Mauser military rifle that has a better trigger than this 750 which has easily the worst trigger of any rifle I've owned. Sure would be nice if there was some easy adjustment or fix.

essexcounty
June 17, 2007, 10:06 AM
After owning a couple of 742's I'd Pass. The last good Remington autoloader was the 81. I'm sorry, but when a magazine tells me " new and improved" I get very skeptical. Essex

Jseime
June 17, 2007, 08:27 PM
I used to have a Remington 742 in .243 Winchester and it jammed a couple times in a couple hundred rounds. I decided that I wanted a bolt action so I would have a really reliable gun that never ever jammed so I bought a Savage 110 in .270 and the effin thing jammed or wouldnt feed after the first round out of the magazine every time.

I plan to buy another Remington autoloader in .243 for a dedicated coyote gun. Likely a 750 because I am a little leery about used autos. Nine times out of ten the cause of a Remington autoloading rifle jamming is the person pulling the trigger. They have to be clean to function. If you want to neglect your gun and expect it to still work buy an SKS or an AK.

bettingthehorses
June 18, 2007, 09:56 AM
Most often semi-auto jams are caused by either an ammunition problem or a magazine problem. Low velocity, low pressure loads can cause the action to cycle not far enough back to eject, and the magazine problem can be easily fixed as described in my first post in this thread. Sometimes cleaning the gas piston can help for guns shot a lot or are very old, but I can't recall where such cleaning fixed a jam problem although I may only shoot a gun 50 or so times in a year.

bettingthehorses
June 24, 2007, 12:00 PM
Finally found some info at http://fieldandstream.blogs.com/gunn...mment-21860526
where is states, "The Remington 750 like the 740, 742 and 7400 series have a removeable trigger group that simply needs smoothing work. This proceedure should only be done by a gunsmith as should any trigger work.
I have greatly improved the triggers without any spring force reduction on many Remington autos prior to the 750 and a few in the newer versions. Twenty bucks including postage and a 1 week turnaround right now."

jbirdhaffield
June 24, 2007, 02:57 PM
I must say Hossdaniel is absolutely correct. Save your money and aggrevation. I purchased the Remington 750 from Walmart went to the range that week and it jammed after first shot. You can rest assure that I was just a little ****** off. BUY A BAR

Gewehr98
June 24, 2007, 04:04 PM
The last decent Remington (Browning) autoloading rifles.

I had a 742 long enough to get thoroughly disgusted with it.

It's somebody else's problem now. I used the money to buy a nice 1969 Belgian BAR in .30-06. I'm quite tickled with the latter's performance and quality. :D

bettingthehorses
June 24, 2007, 06:43 PM
The jbirdhaffield problem is likely same as I had with my new 750. Read my post #33 in this thread on how to fix it. Mine's not jammed since I did the fix. As stated in my post #38 I had and fixed a problem with a 1970 Browning BAR as well. I also have a Remington model 4 that's never had any problem of any kind. Key is to identify a problem and determine how to fix it instead of jumping to conclusions that brand A is terrible and brand B is the best there is. Note the Browning BAR isn't available in 35 Whelen which is why I wanted the Remington 750, and I didn't hesitate to buy due to my good experience with 3 consecutive Remington semi-autos, 1 model 742 and 1 model 4 plus latest model 750. The 750 is lighter to boot, and I now prefer it to all others, BAR included which is noticeably heavier BTW.

Big-Foot
June 24, 2007, 09:16 PM
Yeah it seems like the mags are at least part of the problem as Remington is now offering improved magazines to owners. I haven't been able to find out which caliber 750s are involved in this recall. I agree with Bettingthehorses, it's a shame that they didn't identify the problem sooner, owners shouldn't have to bend parts on a brand new rifle in order to get it to work.

Keep us updated with your guns reliability Betting, I'm still considering purchasing one in 35 Whelen if the reviews improve.

Well it looks like Remington has once again screwed the pooch by selling a product without working out the bugs first. I notice that it's not available in the SAUM cartidges which were another of Big Greens great marketing disasters. Right after the wonderful 710. Ah well. I don't mean to flame any Remington owners, I just wish this formally great American company would get it together. Maybe some enthusiasts will buy the company and turn it around similar to what has happened at Savage.

bettingthehorses
June 25, 2007, 10:16 AM
I probably won't do much more shooting before mid October when deer season starts here, but I can tell you I have no doubt reliability will continue. I did the same fix on a 742 for my brother-in-law back in the early 1990s, and it's functiioned flawlessly for over 15 years. About 10 years ago I also got a Ruger Mini14 that functioned flawlessly with factory mag, but it had same magazine problem for 20 and 30 round high capacity magazines I bought which were fixed by the same procedure. Remington should ship products with good parts that don't require alteration to get them to work, and I think I'm going to try to wrangle an extra mag from them because of this problem that should not be in the first place.

If I were wanting a 35 Whelen semi-auto, I'd go ahead and get it if you feel comfortable with performing the fix if needed because the chambering may be a limited offering. I think this because I think the 7400 was offered in 35 Whelen when it was introduced but hasn't been offered in many years. I looked around a few years trying to find a used 7400 in 35 Whelen without success.

Big-Foot
June 25, 2007, 05:52 PM
......and I think I'm going to try to wrangle an extra mag from them because of this problem that should not be in the first place.

:D Now that's good thinkin.

Hey could you measure the rate of twist with a cleaning patch for me? I've looked all over Rems site including the online owners manuals and none would specify the twist rate. Some of Rems other 35 Whelen rifles have a twist rate too slow to stabilise the longer 250s that I'd want to shoot big Roosevelt Elk with.

bettingthehorses
June 26, 2007, 10:44 AM
Go to http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-218686.html which shows it has 1 in 16 twist, and the link indicates this is sufficient to stabilize 250 grain bullets. Mine was initially zeroed with 250 grain Speer Hot Core which grouped very well. I also have a custom bolt action on Mauser 98 action with 1 in 12 twist which is ideal for 35 caliber and is what I'd choose if there was a choice in factory guns, but the Remington 750 is the only option in a semi-auto unless you wanted to pay for a barrel replacement. Personally I'd prefer a 200 grain Barnes X bullet for elk or anything else. The 250 grain loads will undoubtedly do the job well, but the 200 grain will shoot flatter which is an advantage where long shots may be likely.

Edit: Upon reading info from link of previous post again I noticed the poster there speculated about Remington 750 possibly having 1 in 12 twist for 35 Whelen. However, I just called to wrangle the mag from Remington which was done with no problem, and Remington rep confirmed it has 1 in 16 twist for 35 Whelen as I suspected.

bettingthehorses
June 26, 2007, 11:33 AM
Deleted, see edit above.

jbirdhaffield
June 26, 2007, 02:45 PM
This return of email is probrably late, maybe too late. I must tell you that I purchased the 750 from Walmart and went to the range. I had a horrable experience with the gun having it jam on the third shot. After spending over $550 on it I brought it back to Walmart. I was shocked when they told me they would refund me the money. They were great about it. The salesman that sold the gun to me was also there the day I returned it. He said normally they do not return guns for any reason but he knew my situation and took it back anyhow. He told me that he would explain to the store manager that the wood was off color so he would except it back. I could not have been more pleased with there service. Now as for the gun itself I was just so dissapointed. I had waited months for this all new "Woodsmaster" to come out hoping that I was doing the right thing by saving $100 bucks and not going with the BAR. I had several guys on different forums tell me way ahead of time to save a few more bucks and buy the BAR, I should have listened. Shortly after I read up on the Remington 700 actions in there bolt rifles. I was amazed to see how expensive the bolts had gotten too. So I waited and finally found one here in my home town on clearance from $475 down to $328. Knowing that I was buying one of the best actions ever made in gun history I knew that I could buy an after market trigger, Limbsaver recoil pad, and put my Leupold scope on it and have a damn fine rifle. Even after buying the gun, the after market trigger, and R3 recoil pad I still managed to spend less and have a rifle that was DEPENDABLE. Moral of the story is if your set on an auto loader either spend some money and buy a Benelli R1 or a Browning BAR. If you want an accurate and always dependable rifle well than stick with Remington brand and go BLOT style. Thanks for reading this email. I just wanted to share this story of how dissatisfied I was with this certain model after all the talk that it was now better. Kutos to Walmart and there wonderful service. I hope that the rumor of Walmart doing away with guns is not true because there would be thousands of unhappy hunters that do there family grocery shopping as well as there seasonal hunting shopping thier too. Thanks, Jason

Big-Foot
June 26, 2007, 06:11 PM
1/16, TYWM Betting.

Jbird, I ran across a new semi this weekend. Get this, 20 and 22" barrel, 7.1 and 7.3 lb. in 9.3x62. I'd love a semi 9.3x62 for woods elk hunting, but in reality it's only a bit more potent than the 35 Whelen and the Rem is probably half the Sauer S303s price. http://www.sauer-waffen.de/index.php?id=686&lang=en

bettingthehorses
June 27, 2007, 12:22 PM
FYI some Walmarts in the Atlanta, Georgia area have stopped selling guns, but I've heard Walmart plans to stop selling guns in selected stores and not all which I hope is true. If the Sauer is twice the Remington price, I'd take 2 Remingtons or 1 Remington and buy something else with money saved.

adrifter2
April 11, 2008, 11:31 AM
A friend that I deer hunt with every year here in the midwest, purchased a new Rem. 750 in .308 for the 2007 deer season.
He installed Burris mounts and rings, with a new Burris Fulfield 2, 3X9-40 scope.
At a 200 yard rifle range near by we zeroed the 750 at 150 yards, using Federal Premium 165 grain factory ammo, off of a solid bench rest sitting position.
The Rem. 750 shot a steady 2 1/4" groups at that distance, giving the rifle lots of time to cool down between groups while we zeroed two of my rifles at another bench. The outside temperature was around 62 degrees with no wind with sunny skys, and we took plenty of time that day.
When we deer hunted I watched my friend shoot a buck from a sitting position on the ground with a tight sling hold, and at a measured distance of 244 yards. One shot kill.
He later went to an ajoining state for a wild bore hunt, and took a big one down at 168 yards, using the same Federal ammo with a one shot kill.
He has so far shot about 250 rounds through his 750 with no problems.
He keeps all his rifles neat and clean, and his Remington 750 as well.

aagrendel
April 24, 2008, 09:12 PM
Recently bought a new Rem 750 in 35 Whelen. Took it to the State run range and stoked it up with Rem factory ammo. It jammed up on the 5th round! Couldn't retract the bolt and trigger acted like a round had been fired. The range officer wouldn't let me leave the range with a round in the chamber. He held the rifle pointed down range and told me to wack the operating rod handle with a hard leather mallet he brought to my booth. I wacked and the rifle fired!

Next day I returned the rifle to Cabela's for a full refund.

I heard the older models were unreliable and I guess at least for me the same is true for the new model.

I still wish someone else like Benelli or Browning chambered a semi-auto in 35 Whelen.

Big-Foot
April 25, 2008, 07:29 PM
Recently bought a new Rem 750 in 35 Whelen. Took it to the State run range and stoked it up with Rem factory ammo. It jammed up on the 5th round! Couldn't retract the bolt and trigger acted like a round had been fired. The range officer wouldn't let me leave the range with a round in the chamber. He held the rifle pointed down range and told me to wack the operating rod handle with a hard leather mallet he brought to my booth. I wacked and the rifle fired!

:eek:

stkshooter@gmail.com
November 2, 2008, 12:23 AM
Hello, this is my first post here because I was researching the 750.

How many Rem 750 owners in .308 have had problems ? I've searched the internet and see many complaints in other cal. but .308 doesn't seem to have a problem jamming once broken in and cleaned well. I've purchased auto-loaders in the past which seemed pretty stiff new but after a box of ammo and a good cleaning were perfect. Many of the post about shooting 1-3 rds. new out of the box and jamming is no big surprise. I have a auto-loader with over 800 rounds fired threw it and has been threw lots of dirt/brush while hunting and only been taken down / cleaned twice in 2-3 yrs. If it ever acts like it's going to jam or doesn't throw the case clean, I just grab a can of slick 50 lube and soak the action down, wipe it down and it's ready for another hundred rounds. It's much smoother now then when it was new.

My 750 in .308 will be here soon and I'll follow up with a review. Till then, let's here from some .308 owners who have given the gun a chance.

stkshooter@gmail.com
December 5, 2008, 12:41 PM
Back for follow up reply.

I took my new 750 to the range and as everybody else said it jammed over and over the first box ( 20 ) I just kept clearing the gun and kept shooting. On 2 nd box ( 40 ) it was jamming every other shot and on 3 rd box ( 60 ) only a few times. By the 4 th box ( 80 ) it was cycling like a completely diff. gun. The magazine would slide in / out easy and chamber a round easy. Everything was smooth and worked flawlessely. The 5th box ( 100 ) I put threw it fast. Loaded the magazine and boom, boom, boom, boom worked like a champ over and over. Didn't have any jam on the last 40 rds. I put threw it. They were PMP .308 win. FJBT 143 gr. The 3rd box was match ammo since I was setting up a new scope too. At 50 yrd. groups were tight 1/2 in. apart for entire box. 100 yrd. was a diff. story since gun was very hot. Scope is pretty close at this point and gun is working great. The next range session I'll take my time and fine tune everything a bit. This session was just to loosen things up and get everything settled in.

People who had a jamming prob. should have feed it more ammo. If after 100 rds. it was still jamming then give it a good cleaning and soak every moving part with teflon lube and try again. Once it gets broken in, you will think it's a diff. gun.

This post was only addressing the jamming complaints. I'll follow up with shooting groups next time.

Jon

Big-Foot
December 5, 2008, 01:08 PM
Interesting, thanks.

Might be interesting to see if others have had similar good luck after break-in.

With the bad economy and this rifles dubious roll-out I'll bet one could be picked up pretty cheaply.

stkshooter@gmail.com
December 7, 2008, 09:00 PM
I thought the same thing about picking one up cheap, but could never find one less than $100 off Bud's gun shop price new so I bought a new one.

Jon

bikerbennito
March 13, 2009, 11:43 AM
Well fellers I use my 750 carbine out here in cali for pig hunting. The pigs out here are mean mothers and going in with 3 or so shots didn't give me a warm fuzzy. Soooooo I started looking for a 10 round mag.I researched all the forms on this matter and come to the conclusion the metal ones where junk and I was wright.I bought one and sure enough junk.Sooooo Being very mechanically inclined I bought an Eagle 10 rounder in plastic.Now at first the plastic one didn't work for S()it either but being plastic I was able to carve on it for a nice fit and very good operation. Conclusion 10 rounds of 308 win as fast as you can pull the trigger.Lots of fun for me bad news for the piggies. I shoot open site so I wont have to deal the zero problems with scopes. Takes away from my hunting time.

For those of you having problems out of the box I always clean and lube before I fire a new gun.Its a me thing .

I have also sent a request too Remington for a factory 10 rounder.If some of you do the same maybe they will respond.Until then the eagle 10 round mag is all we have.I would not waste your money on any thing else until Remington provides one.

armsmaster270
March 13, 2009, 11:59 AM
I have my Grandfathers 740 30-06 and it works like a clock. Every year he went deer hunting he came home with one every time 1 shot to the neck so I don't think he had a zero problem as he never sighted it in after the original sighting. He had a friend that pulled the bullets off of 300 rounds of G.I ammo and replaced the GI Ball with 150gr Remington Bronze points. all the same lot never bought 06 ammo again I still have about 15 rounds.

4sixteen
March 13, 2009, 06:55 PM
I have a 7400 and a 750 carbine, both in 35 Whelen. Top notch rifles...

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r236/storm_rider02/auto.jpg

dgludwig
March 13, 2009, 09:16 PM
Many years ago, I used to hunt with the long discontinued Winchester Model 100 semi-auto chambered in .308. The only malfunction that I experienced with this rifle was traced to having too much lube in the chamber area. I learned that it worked best when the chamber was kept bone dry. I don't know if this "fix" can be applied to the Remington semi-auto or not but it might be worth a try.

RioKid
March 13, 2009, 09:46 PM
I have had my 7400 in .270 for 22 years. The only problem I ever had with it was my reloads would not feed. Other than that it is a peach of a gun.

BrthrB
March 14, 2009, 01:42 PM
Can't speak about the 750 or 7400's, but I've had a 742 Woodsmaster in 30.06 that shoots very well. I did have some issues with magazines, once that was worked out, I've not had any problems.

compdoc
June 17, 2009, 07:28 PM
I bought a new Model 750 Woodmaster .308win carbine a few weeks ago, and I fired it for the first time today. I went for the Woodmaster because I got the impression that the synthetic version wasnt drilled and tapped for a scope. Can someone who has a synthetic confirm that?

I really like the look and feel of the gun, although it does kick some. If it weren’t for that recoil pad, I'd be in pain right now.

I bought 2 additional Remington 4 shot magazines, and all 3 magazines were sticking while pressing rounds into place. The plate that pushes up the rounds (forget the name) was sticking to one side as it was pressed down. This made them very hard to load. A little silicone grease took care of it nicely. It’s a fully synthetic grease that I get from Ace Hardware.

Here's what I found after 80 rounds:

125 gr Managed-Recoil Remington Core-Lokt Pointed Soft Point: this round jammed with each shot. The shell isn’t ejected, so I had to manually cycle the action to pop it out and load the next round.

150 gr Wolf (Russian) full metal jacket, steel case: jammed pretty regularly, and when it jammed wasn't as easy to correct as the brass-cased Remington round. Also, 1 or 2 rounds out of each box misfired. Usually, firing the round again would work. Can’t recommend this ammo...

180 gr Remington Core-Lokt Pointed Soft Point: not one jam. Fed great, cycled great, and ejected properly. Kicks like a mule, tho.

I have to say, as someone else in this thread already mentioned; it seems to be the ammo. The 750 seems to require a round with enough kick to cycle the action properly. I'll need to buy some 155 and 168 grain rounds to see what else works.

Of course, as I break the gun in, it’s possible that 150 grain ammo will work eventually. It’s also possible that the Wolf ammo’s powder just wasn’t up to snuff. In any event, the Model 750 seems a fine gun that I’ll enjoy for many years...

valuman
July 3, 2009, 12:59 PM
I am new here and joined the forum because of this thread. I purchased a used Remington 742 Carbine in .308 this Spring and absolutely love it. Unlike compdoc, I find that the recoil is almost nil, nearly like shooting a .22 WMR. Because of this gun, I've been reading all I can find on the model 750 and am strongly considering purchasing one.

When I was researching the 742, I found enough information to convince me that a short action chambering was the way to go for reliability and longer life of the rifle. The gun I bought has performed flawlessly with everything but some old military surplus ammunition that I bought at a local gun show. I have settled on 150 grain PSP as the "right" bullet weight.

The rifle I bought came equipped with Williams peep sights and I don't intend to scope it. Thus, I'm not too concerned about sub MOA accuracy. That said, I have shot a three shot group of 1.125" at 100 yards off of a rest. More importantly, I am able to put three shots in a pie plate at 75 yards, off hand, quickly.

It's this experience with the 742 that has me looking at the 750. I was thinking .35 Whelen but after reading this and some other information I'm prone to stick with the short action, .308 and most likely a synthetic stocked carbine which I might or might not scope. If I do scope, it will be a 1.5- 5x model.

BTW, this is a great place you guys have here, thanks for having me!

moosemike
July 4, 2009, 10:47 AM
This is good information as I would like to get one of these rifles. I have had 760 pump rifles all my life but PA does not allow semi's for hunting so I don't have experience with these rifles. I am going to look for a used 742, something to play around with and if it proves reliable I will hunt out of state with it.

compdoc
July 4, 2009, 11:03 AM
I purchased more ammo of different grains and brands, but I havent had a chance to try it because I disassembled the rifle to clean and to see how it works, and I removed the barrel.

The barrel takedown nut was a lot easier to remove than to get tightened properly. None of the tools I have will get a good grip in the tight space there.

I ordered a tool online and hopefully I'll get the gun back together again and test the other ammo soon...

I'm also ordering parts from Remington for it, like more takedown nuts, firing pins, and other parts that might fail someday way in the future. I'm also getting the synthetic stock and forearm, so I can keep the wooden parts home when I'm just knocking around with it...

Woodmaster
September 3, 2009, 02:12 PM
I just bought a brand new 750 30-06. I have to say that after reading reviews and horror stories here and there I was very cautious and read the entire manual before trying to shoot the gun.

First of all, the manual clearly says that the chamber MUST be cleaned with a brush and some solvant prior to shooting the first round. So those people who got shell stock in the chamber should have read the manual first. I used Remington Locked Core (cheapest available rounds) 165 gr and not a single shell got stock in the chamber.

Second. When I got my firearm, I had problems crancking the operating handle completely. The friction between the breech bolt and the hamer was so harsh that it made crancking the handle quite hard.

It made me worried if the barrel pressure would be able to make the autoloading work properly.

So at some point I had a chance to try my new rifle and adjust the new scope in the same time.

At first, as I feared auto loading did not work at all. I had to cranck it manually every single time to eject the empty shell and get the new one in.

It took about 10 shots before auto loading started to work. Then auto loading started to fail less and less, until I was able to empty a full magazine 4-1 entirely without a problem. I'm not saying it's 100% reliable at this time, but it went from 100% failure to 100% success in less then 40 rounds.

so I shot less then 40 rounds so far and I'm convinced I need to shoot at least 200 rounds before taking this babe in the woods. Something I have noticed though, when it doesn't cycle properly, the precision is very bad, it can shoot as bad as 18 inches off at 100 yards. But when it cycles properly, I can get a group of 3 in a range of 1.5 inches at 100 yards. I must go back to the shooting range to finish adjusting my scope in order to zero that group.

As other people already said, it needs to break in. The firearm is sold for $650 with synthetic stock. One could not expect that a firearm made in US and sold for 650 has been tested for hours in factory. If anything, they have probably shot a round or two, inspect the mechanic and that's it.

I purchased this firearm by faith, and instead of panicking when it got jamed, I kept my faith and I just kept shooting and got better.... and better.

I'll follow up after having shot my 200+ round.

ADKhilander
September 9, 2009, 08:00 PM
My 750 woodsmaster saga

First, thanks for everyone contributing on the related 750 woodmaster threads - I learned a lot, I know this is my first posting (FirstFreedom- I am not a troll) but I will try to provide technical background behind my thoughts as well.

OK a few words to set this up – I hunt primarily in the Adirondack mountains of northern NY, Adirondack being a permutation of an Indian phrase meaning “bark eater” – a name aptly given to the tribal residents at the time as the area is too harsh for abundant game. The ADKs as they are called are home to the largest forest preserve in the lower 48, offering very remote , dense, northwoods. Big rewards, but in small quantities. A day afield during deer season here can range anywhere from –15 to 85F degrees, leaves to snowshoes, always windy, rain, snow, sleet, and the absolute worst – freezing fog – to render any telescopic optics useless in a matter of seconds. Most shots are limited to well under 100 yards, in my experience the median being <50. Many people use simple 30-30 or 35rem levers, and it gets the job done, I was seeking a semi-auto setup however.

My ideal features of an ADK autoloader include:
- iron sights as a backup, with quick detach mounts for scope (see freezing fog above)
- carbine length bbl.
- lefty-friendly ejection – although I usually shoot LH, I do still need, and practice, shooting RH too. I believe ADK guns need to be ambidexterous.
- all steel receiver – just a me thing , yea I know AL is strong.
- 308 – no uproars pls, I like the ’06, 270 & 35W too, but I have/reload 308s and for <=100 yds I don’t see any empirical difference.
- somewhat reasonable weight….8# or less
- ability to accept greater than 5 round mags
- ability to lock and load ‘silently’ without the SLAMCLANK of an AR-style rifle
- budget – ofcourse
- accuracy – ofcourse, although at 100 yds northwoods distance, 2MOA is useable.

The choices: Browning BAR, Beretta R1, Winchester SXR, and Rem, 750. Well, and the various “black rifles” of which I do have a few – all outstanding, but not northwoods mountain walkers. Let me just say that I LIKE ALL of these, own Browning, rem. and Benelli guns and I am not a singular zealot for any of them.

The Winchester was really too new for me, maybe I didn’t give it the chance it deserved, but nothing really stuck out at me as a differentiator. The BAR – Now, If Browning made the (beautiful) safari in 308, I would probably starve and flip for the $1300 for one and iron sights. The shorttrac in all varieties, IMO, felt like I was holding a $1000 daisy powerline 600 b gun from decades ago. Plastic trigger guard, plastic floorplate. I know Browning doesn’t make crap, but this just didn’t click for me. The trigger seemed nice, but the safety always clicked no matter how I tried it. The Benelli really grew on me, although it didn’t seem to fit me well. It was also real expensive ($1200) and placed 2nd in the guntest.com results.

So the Remington 750 came out on top with the most features, price, gun test reviews, etc. …and of course it has the SASS (semi automatic single shot) rep. But, It also is made in the USA, and in my home state, and for me that counts a little bit. Rem has also been making these for decades, and many ppl buy them. I had a 7400 (308) years ago, traded it on my first AR platform. I have heard (hearsay) that since Rem has acquired Bushmaster, some of the revs to the 750 line have been made with input from those experts from bushmaster’s E.Stoner’s AR experience. The original 742 design is ofcourse one of John Browning (if JB designed it, it must be good IMO).

…so I found a 750/308, bought it, mounted leupold quick detach rings and a burris fullfield II 3-9x40 to it, boresighted, cleaned the Bgjus out of it, and headed for the range with a few boxes of 180 gr rem core-lokts….

First two shots flawless, I thought to myself “HA! Those naysayers!” … third shot JAMMED, forth shot JAMMED…clip reload ….shots 1,2,3,4 all JAMMED. At this point, the woodsmaster, aka, JAMmaster, looked more like a javelin than a rifle to me.
That was the end of range session one. THANK YOU BETTINGTHEHORSES for the tip on another thread, upon clip adjustment! I made 4 dummy 308s and watched when I manually cycled rounds….they were releasing from the clip on both sides too quick and aiming too high to land in the chamber…a quick adjustment with pliers corrected the problem under manual cycling.

Range session 2 consisted of the firing of 20 rounds 180gr core-lokts, 20 rounds 150gr core-lokts and 20 rounds 180gr Federals………0 (zero) JAMS!. My AR10 was green with envy! As it was raining that day, I allowed the action to get fairly wet for a few shots, and even tried a few “bro” shots (ejection up, and ejection down) …no effect. Somewhat my faith is restored. This 750 may actually ride on-shoulder this fall!

Accuracy? “bro” shots aside when I was actually aiming, once ~sighted in, I was getting golf-ball sized groups at ~75 yds, just off my daypack - both scope & iron, well within my needs for an ADK rifle.

For me personally, a tang safety, bolt-lock open (w/o magazine) and refined trigger would make the 750 far better. I will say however of its “870 shotgun trigger group” – they suck, but they suck exactly the same at 90F as well as –20F, cant be said of many others, even bolt actions.

I am happy with my selection of 750 woodsmaster (so far)

Woodmaster
September 12, 2009, 09:54 AM
This is a follow up on my previous review.

I went back shooting another 40 rounds and finish sighting in. Well, this time it did not jam once. It worked perfectly and flawlesly from the first to the last shot. I thought I needed to shoot 200 rounds before going hunting with it but after 80 rounds, I''m confortable bringing this babe in the woods.

I need to mention that meanwhile, Remington offered me to send the riffle to the factory all transport payd. I told them I would rather wait and keep shooting to break-in the riffle. It turns out I won't need to send it at all. I certainly apreciate the offer.

I also need to mention that this riffle comes with a full lifetime warranty.

So at the end:

- The riffle IS reliable indeed
- It's precise and easy to get group in 1-2 MOA radius at 100 yards
- It is made in US (great for a $650 riffle)
- It comes with a full lifetime warranty
- It is easy to get someonecompetent on the phone

So to those who have problems with this riffle I will say this:.

- Read the entire manual before shooting first
- Keep it clean and lubricated as indicated in the manual
- Clean the chamber and barrel with solvent before first shooting (read the manual)
- Plan to shoot at least 100 rounds to break it in using 165-180 gr bullets to ensure proper auto-reloading of the first 50 rounds or so, and use NEW Remington cartridges to prevent the shell from jamming in the chamber.
- Call Remington and complain to them if you have any problems or concerns, they are whilling to help.

Remember, this is not a sloppy AK-47, build with loose parts and able to work full of sand, it is rather a high precision piece of machanic made in US which requires some break-in. The parts which are under stress and a lot of friction need to be polished by utilisation in order to operate smoothly.

Great riffle for the price.

It is a wood's riffle, and I bought it for this purpose. I plan to use it in the woods of North Carolina/Tenesse or Eastern Canada. I hunt in environment of relatively short distances and limited visibility due to branches and bushes. Second shot is vital in this environment. I do not plan to shoot further then 200 yards, even though I'm sure a good shooter would be satisfied with it at 300 yards. I will do mainly Deers, but also some Elks when they have been reintroduced in NC. I might also do Moose and Cariboo in Quebec.

If I wanted to shoot Elks at 400 yards on Western open areas, I would rather have purchased a 300 Winchester Mag with longer barrel and bolt action, when impact and precision on long distance is more important then second shot.

Good hunt.

ADKhilander
September 13, 2009, 07:00 AM
Woodmaster - I am just about pacing with you, at about ~80 shots with the same result. I took the 750 along to camp with me yesterday and had the opportunity to shoot off another 20 rounds. Zero jams.

I agree that these rifles seem like they need to shoot-in a bit. One thing that I didnt do upon receiving the gun was to take a small pipe cleaner and swab out the gas port. I had done this after my second range session and seemed to take a lot of gunk out. It maybe that in the packing process, Remington puts too much grease in the bbl, which oozes into the gas port - effectively clogging/diminishing the gas system.

I'll probably have another 100 rounds through this before the season starts, but at this point I feel confident in the 750 as you do.
:)

ADKhilander
September 22, 2009, 06:40 PM
quick update: another 100 through the 750 (80 168gr ball rounds and 20 corelokt 180 for sight tuning) - 0 failures. :):):)

sc928porsche
September 22, 2009, 08:17 PM
I dont know about the 7400 or the 750. I do own a 742BDL and a 760BDl. Both are in 30-06 and have never experienced a problem with them. I do like the looks of the new walnut stocks tho.

Whitetail
September 22, 2009, 08:58 PM
I have owned an old 742 and 7400 and both had every problem in the book.
Hope the 750 proves better.

ADKhilander
November 19, 2009, 07:56 PM
rain & freezing fog rendered my scope useless, iron sights on 750 / .308 (with electrical tape over the muzzle) 1 shot 1 kill fork horn. I am developing a trust with the 750, I am grabbing it for our (NY) southern zone season opening this weekend. There would be no difference in putting this down on the driveway and blasting it with the garden hose to the rain/field conditions endured. I am happy with the performance so far. Next upgrade - set of firesights. :)

4sixteen
November 19, 2009, 11:18 PM
Glad to hear it's working fine for you. I have an older 35 Whelen 7400 that's had probably at least a 1000 rounds put through it. It works flawlessly.

Some things to watch out for:

1. The plastic forend seal will crack over time from taking the forend off for cleaning. A new one is just a few dollars.
2. The plastic bolt dust cover will begin to crack over time. Recommend replacing it when a crack develops otherwise it could jam the bolt open (happened to my 7400 at the range after several hundred shots).
3. The forend screw will loosen after several shots, maybe use blue loctite to keep it snug. Could affect accuracy and operation as it loosens.

Here's my recently purchased 35 Whelen 750 carbine with a Leupold 2.5x scope :cool: -

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r236/storm_rider02/750carbine.jpg

pilotshooter
February 12, 2010, 05:12 PM
I read this thread AFTER purchasing a used 750 in 270 cal from the Bass Pro Shops Fine Gun Room...

At first I had buyer's remorse reading about the jamming. Then I took the rifle to a range and shot 20 rounds of Winchester 270 130gr. Had fits inserting the magazine and the auto-loader did jam once on the 10th round. Took the rifle home, cleaned it and bought a new magazine and Remington cartridges.

With the new magazine and Remington rounds, I shot 15 rounds flawlessly. Then I switched to the Winchester rounds. Still no jamming. And the magazine inserted much more smoothly with both cartridges.

One thing I did notice: At 100 yards, the Winchester rounds fired low and to the left of my target while the Remington rounds fired a little high and center of the bulls eye. Both were 130gr.

Is this typical?

dzavoina
April 4, 2010, 05:53 PM
I have a 750 and not have had any jamming problems, however, my rifle is experiencing extract problems.
I took the rifle to the gunsmith at Gander Mountain, and he says that the chamber is not finished from the maching process at manufacture. He also said that he's seen this on several other 750's.
He also said that another chronic problem is that the gas bleed hole in the barrel is not drilled correctly. Half the hole is drilled on the land and half on the groove, allowing gasses to bleed past the bullet as it travels down the barrel, altering the bullets trajectory and accuracy. This also means that there is not enough gas to operate the bolt correctly, also causing jams.

Dave
Madison, MS

alfack
April 4, 2010, 07:34 PM
I have one with about 100 30.06 rounds through it. Mine was jamming every other round, only from the left side of the magazine. I took some needle nose and bent the lip of the mag a little. It's been flawless ever since. I put an aimpoint on it and can line up a shot pretty quick, now.

MTT TL
April 4, 2010, 08:01 PM
Hmm... for $300 you can get a used 740. :confused:

They all seem to work just fine, even the ones that were not very well treated.

MRFranks
September 4, 2010, 06:56 PM
Well, this is my first post and I'm a little concerned about my recent purchase of said rifle (on a recommendation from a friend). I ordered it through Davidson's (in .308Win) so I haven't had the opportunity to handle the rifle. I wanted an R-25, but they are illegal here in California, unless one has the "bullet" device installed to render the magazine release useless unless one uses a loaded cartridge (the bullet end--hence the name) or another thin pointed tool to release the magazine. Surprisingly, this makes the R-25 legal and very expensive. I looked at other makers (Benelli, Browning) but the price was outside my budget. One of the things I noticed about the 750 is that the bolt does not stay open with the magazine removed. That makes for some interesting safety procedures at the range, as during a ceasefire the range master orders all actions open and empty, magazines removed, bolts locked open. This, then, brings me to a question--is there an aftermarket bolt hold-open device that can be retrofitted to the 750?
I bought this rifle as my primary pig gun (I have an old Win 1895 in .30-40 I've used in the past but I can't scope the rifle--aging eyes). Further, metastatic prostate cancer has deposited many lesions on my right shoulder, so a soft shooting rifle is in order unless I want a catastrophic fracture of my humorous bone. Hopefully, once I've broken in the 750, I'll be able to use it on a planned pig hunt this spring.

sc928porsche
September 5, 2010, 07:51 AM
sorry, almost repost

734Jackson
November 4, 2010, 03:39 AM
What was the final decision on this? Cabelas has the 750 on sale, thinking about buying it.

Buck Rue
November 22, 2010, 10:05 PM
After reading all of the comments regarding the 750, I decided to buy one with the hope that I could handle any problems. My Rem 597 17HMR was recalled and I needed to buy another Remington in order to get my rebate. I have 700's and really didn't have any wholes in my arsenal for another gun. Rright! With an already bitter taste in my mouth I received the 750. Like ADKilander and Woodmaster my experience has been exactly like theirs. Cleaned thoroughly and ran 65 rds through it. It was running rough at first. Some miss feeds etc. By rd. 45 it started running perfect. With the factory mag. no problems and even in the 10 rd. mag it has had one jam. It groups 1-1 1/2" with scope. It's taking everything from 150- 180gr. Different ammo groups differently but consistent. Got this for pigs hoping to get a few quick follow up shots. I joined to thank all who contribute their comments. They are very helpful and much appreciated. Hopefully mine will help also.

Art Eatman
November 23, 2010, 10:05 AM
Necrothreadia of a polling thread is Just Not The Deal. (Better to start a new thread with a URL reference to the "ded-thred".) :)