PDA

View Full Version : What to plant?

ZeroJunk
September 11, 2006, 06:05 AM
I have about 24 acres of food plots that I alternate in strips.Half one year and half the next.The deer population is such that peas or soybeans you plant in the spring simply will not make it until hunting season.Not unusual to see 10 or even 15 deer in these fields.I have been drilling wheat or oats about this time of year.Takes about 1200 pounds of seed.I wonder if there are some other things I should mix with this.Another thread mentioned turnips.I can't really afford anything very expensive on this scale.Any suggestions?

HankL
September 11, 2006, 08:09 AM
Look into Austrian Winter Peas for part of your planting. A few pounds of
turnip seeds will cover a lot of ground and the deer like them. Good luck.

Pointer
September 11, 2006, 09:19 AM
Do deer like potatoes?

Potatoes will spread and the tops might be inviting...

Also sugar beats? They will grow without a lot of effort on your part...

I wonder if you turn them up just before the hunting season...?

NRA4life
September 11, 2006, 10:42 AM
Judging from my experience (i.e. my vegetable garden) green beans seem to be like crack to the blacktails out here.

Wild Bill Bucks
September 11, 2006, 10:59 AM
Might try MUNG BEANS, almost like soy beans, in protein level, and like dry hot weather. Plants in June, harvest in September, without harvesting, the bean stays on the stalk until it is plucked by the deer or freezes off. Makes a good deer crop, and they like it.

deerslayer79
September 11, 2006, 04:40 PM
deer love the austrian winter peas,so much that I usually have to no-till them in after my oats are up and going or the deer will totally decimate them,by the way turnips around my area are about 15.00 per 5lbs,thats probably cheapest other than winter oats or wheat that ranges from 8.00-13.00 dollars a bag.:)

springmom
September 11, 2006, 04:46 PM
Your post made me smile, remembering my mother in law. By her experience, the best thing is FLOWERS.

That woman finally had to install a 10-12 foot (I'm not sure) electrified deer fence around her 4 acres in Connecticut. Every blinking blossom got eaten to the GROUND.

Sorry, I know you're asking a serious question, but it just gave me a chuckle.

Springmom

youp
September 22, 2006, 09:00 PM
Around here lots of guys get three years out of a single winter wheat or rye grain planting. The sead head is ripe and tilled back down in August. The stuff comes right back up. Perhaps a slight change in your rotation schedule and you could save a bit and try some higher buck stuff.

I have been picking up chicken wire for next year. I plan on planting some mangels and covering it with chicken wire stretched over some branches. You would not be able to do even an acre, but I figure to start to uncover in the late fall. Perhaps a little frosting on the cake?

FirstFreedom
September 23, 2006, 10:09 AM
I know some folks in OK that plant turnips - deer love those greens. Springmom, yep, they will destroy flowers, won't they. It IS funny picturing these poor flower gardeners battling the deer that view them as little more than pests.

And not a crop, but I hear that some folks up north just buy a truckload of cabbage (forget which variety), and dump on the ground, and varmints won't mess with it, but deer love it.

Wild Bill Bucks
September 24, 2006, 06:30 PM
Spring mom,

Mrs. WBB can associate, she planted roses, by the dozens, around our little cabin on McGee Creek, the first year we got it, and she finally gave up on them because of the deer. She loves roses, but she also liked the deer, and since one of them had to go, it was the roses.:)