PDA

View Full Version : 338 lapua for prairie dogs

UniversalFrost
September 4, 2006, 01:42 AM
After my recent outing to one of the many prairie dog towns I decided that I need a bigger gun. I mean the 22-250 and 223 jut aren't cutting it any more and these little buggers are getting smart. I had tried my ruger no. 1's in .338 win mag and 416 rigby, but other then plwoing through the mounds they were not that accurate at distances of 500+ due to the poor optics mounted on top (i mean zeiss and leupold just aren't cutting it:D ). The solution to the problem is to build a custom .338 lapua off a 700 action so that I can still put lead on target and stay out of their range of fire. Here is what I am up against in the war to control the pasture and possibly end all!!!!

http://yankeeartifacts.com/woodchuck.jpg Or, atleast that is what my excuse to the wife is for spending another couple grand on a rifle. Foregot to mention to her that the 2 700 PSS's (.308 and 7mm) I have will knock em down at those ranges with no problem, but that is my little secret. :D

22-rimfire
September 4, 2006, 09:55 AM
Darn, militant praire dogs! You might try missles with a range to perhaps 20 miles or so. They won't see you that way.

Esquire M Busterbury
September 4, 2006, 01:02 PM
You obviously need mortar support.

garryc
September 4, 2006, 02:47 PM
I'd have a squadron of A-10's standing by for an air strike. And maybe another of B-52's. Then a platoon of trained elite chipmunks to mop up.

Ammo Junky
September 4, 2006, 03:13 PM
Had a friend take a m70 3006 on a pd hunt, becaus it was all he had. He used 110vmax. The pd didnt look any different than when hit with my .223. I doubt they could tell any difference either. :D

Crosshair
September 4, 2006, 03:15 PM
I think it is time to bring in a chain gun.:D

swampdog
September 4, 2006, 03:16 PM
You all do know that some people who read this forum are anti-hunting, don't you?
I've got one word for 'em "NAPALM" :D :D

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning, it smells like... roast prairie dog", of course.

Esquire M Busterbury
September 4, 2006, 03:18 PM
I just had a crazy crazy idea for prarie dog hunting...tannerite!

dead-eye-ked
September 4, 2006, 04:13 PM
BUNKER BUSTERS :cool:

Socrates
September 4, 2006, 04:21 PM
I've had excellent success on squirrels with the 105mm cannon, on an Abrahms tank, at Hunter Liget, a LONG time ago. Range about 7 miles. However, prarie dogs are much heavier, and, might require the 155mm...;)

S

Glennster
September 4, 2006, 08:07 PM
NUKE 'm ! ! ! !

lil_bro
September 4, 2006, 10:37 PM
With me it is squirrels not prairie dogs.:)

But I use a .22 or a .410.........I'm going to need a bigger gun........;)

Dave Haven
September 4, 2006, 11:11 PM
.338 Lapua ain't gonna do it. You need a .50 BMG. Or maybe a 20mm Vulcan. :)
Tannerite would be fun, too.

Maser
September 4, 2006, 11:56 PM
Place a few claymore mines around their holes. :D

oldbillthundercheif
September 5, 2006, 01:47 AM
You need to pick up one of these new Mk47 automatic grenade launchers. The integral night vision system would make the night dangerous for those stealthy ninja-dogs...

maas
September 5, 2006, 05:06 AM
all i heard was some screech that sounded like "revenge!".

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20105&stc=1&d=1253228277

next time i go after a cat I'm going after its whole family.

bacardisteve
September 5, 2006, 08:19 PM
i had a problem like this in kansas. I ended up using a 30-378 accumark and a leupold vxIII. It worked quite well out to 900 yards or so as long as i judged the wind correctly. It really ****** of my buddy who was using a 22-250

Jack O'Conner
September 6, 2006, 10:42 PM
I don't know any Ranchers who allow the use of magnum rifles on their lands.
Jack

bclark1
September 7, 2006, 12:04 AM
http://www.lazygranch.com/images/ttr/002229016.jpg
http://yankeeartifacts.com/woodchuck.jpg

silicon wolverine
September 10, 2006, 12:40 PM
Hmmm.... i wonder if tannerite would go off if you dropped it out of an airplane.....

SW

Esquire M Busterbury
September 10, 2006, 01:43 PM
I wonder if you could make a little feed try, half prarie dog food/half tannerite. When they go to get a bite...BOOM.

Was it here that someone mentioned that the courts finally agreed to allow explosives to deal with gophers & prarie dogs? Gas the holes then ignite...

UniversalFrost
September 10, 2006, 02:10 PM
I don't know any Ranchers who allow the use of magnum rifles on their lands.
Jack

Thank god, I do!:) (helps to be related to them)

Also, the guy who owns the pasture I normally set up my targets to practice had to put down a nice mare last year because of the darn little varmints :mad: and as long as I don't use dynamite on them he doesn't really care what I shoot to get rid of them. Friend is bringing out a dakota custom rifle in .375 H&H on the next outing to sight in and shoot up some older ammo on the dogs. The great thing is after we shoot em up we come back later in the evening and setup at about 500 yards and get the yotes' that come to pick through the prairie dog remains. So it is a full days worth of shooting. :D

Oh and oldbillthunderchief I like your thinking, but I would use the mk47 on coyotes not prairie dogs. I actually saw first hand what a mk19 does to wild dogs while I was in the desert (very messy, but effective!!)

Jseime
September 10, 2006, 06:01 PM
Woah your gophers must be bigger than mine. Last i checked most of them weighed about a pound or so and i could kill them with a .22lr. but i havent been out for a while so maybe they mutated. If the mutations are the case i would recommend a full out fleet of apache helicopters.

dead-eye-ked
September 10, 2006, 06:09 PM
If you ask me, this is the kind of situation that begs for a .17 HMR with 20 grain game tips, or the 17 grain V-Max ( all head shots ). then pull out a .223 for coyotes..

The fields will be red w/ the blood of the enemy :)

dad23honu
October 23, 2006, 11:55 PM
SOCOM's AC-130 Gunship ought to do the trick.

Put it in a big left banking turn around your target area, and let the fire control officers do the rest.

The AC-130 is an excellent fire support platform with outstanding capabilities. With its extremely accurate fire control system, the AC-130 can place 105mm, 40mm and 25mm munitions on target with first round accuracy.

Crosshair
October 24, 2006, 01:43 AM
That is a big risk dad23honu, how would you know the capabilities of their air defence. Everything is underground so you have to be carefull.:p

mikejonestkd
October 24, 2006, 08:04 AM
dad23honu, et all,

I don't think that puff the magic dragon is going to do it. They are underground. The dang things are mutants!!!!

How about the MOAB? I also hear that the north koreans are now in the business of making and selling nukes. I'll check and see if they have a website or a 1-800 number to contact them.

Seriously, a few well placed shots from an AR-50 and you should be able to take out a prarie dog, just use AP rounds.

Socrates
October 30, 2006, 11:17 PM
Well, first thing is to blow out that 375 H&H, and rechamber it. I've been looking long and hard at converting mine to 375 Weatherby, or, 375 RUM. Pick up a couple hundred fps, and, as a general rule, 300 grain Barnes X bullets do wonderful things to cape buffalo at 2700 fps. Sort of moves the 375 into the 416 rigby killing class.
What concerns me is you've used a 416 Rigby, so, you need something with either more velocity, and flat shooting, like the 375 rum, or, more horsepower. Just move up to a 450 Ackley. Find any old 458 Lott, and, ream it out to get that extra 100-200 fps. Guys are running 350 grain bullets at 3000 fps out of the Lott. Besides, the Barnes X, or, GS custom bullets have a spire point, that fragments, much like an x bullet.

I also had some very hard spire points, 200 grains monometals, made by Impala bullets, that you could get going REALLY fast out of a 375, and, likewise the 458. I think they are at a friends house. Have to bring them home...

Is the Lapua based on the 460 Weatherby case?

S