PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun slugs, on elk???

Arizona Fusilier
September 3, 2006, 10:29 PM
Anyone done this, seen this done, or have any reputable second-hand stories of it being done?

My buddy (repeat, not me, my buddy) is contemplating using his Remington 870 Express as his backup weapon for our elk hunt this year. His primary will still be his Remington 700 in 7mm Mag. I have been somewhat fanatical with spare hunting guns as of late, and he has embraced that wisdom as well. He was getting a 30.06 set up, but it won't be ready in time.

He's been putting some money into making his 870 into a do-all machine, but I was taken a little aback when he said he was thinking about bringing it along for our upcoming elk hunt. As a matter of fact, I had to check the regs, and yes, it is legal here in Arizona. As for me, .308 is my primary and .270 is my spare weapon on elk.

Your thoughts are of course appreciated, but first-hand accounts will weigh more heavily on our comtemplations.

CarbineCaleb
September 4, 2006, 12:05 AM
Assuming he's got a rifled barrel, at least as far as ammo goes, the Remington Core Lokt Sabot Slug would have to get the nod. Streamlined, jacketed and bonded, and .50in instead of .72in, it's not so much a shotgun slug as a rifle bullet.

It is a .50 caliber, bonded, jacketed, semi-spitzer style bullet, 385 grains, that exits the muzzle at 1900fps and 3086ft-lb - similar to a .45-70 round. It shoots much flatter and penetrates better than conventional 12 gauge slugs, with only 2.5 inch drop at 150 yards. At 100 yards the bullet is traveling at 1648fps and has 2325 ft-lbs of energy remaining.

I couldn't find the article just now, but when it first came out, Remington published a little article about it being used on a brown bear hunt in Ak. It worked.

Remington claims sub-2-inch groups at 100 yards...

See:
http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshell/slugs/core-Lokt_ultra_bonded_sabot.asp

Anthony Terry
September 4, 2006, 01:37 AM
If the elk is in range, It will do fine

UniversalFrost
September 4, 2006, 01:45 AM
+1 for in range.

Anything under 75 yards and I wouldn't have a problem using a slug gun. Over that and I wouldn't take the shot with a slug gun (just my 2 cents).

rem33
September 4, 2006, 09:23 AM
A shot gun would kill a elk I am sure but having killed several I wouldn't recommend it. Sounds like a good way to wound, create long tracking situation and lose one to me. Knew a guy that shot a bear with a shotgun slug, " in the chest at close range" they never did find that bear.
Odds are good neither of you will have a problem with you rifle but if you did your 270 should cover that quite well.

mete
September 4, 2006, 09:28 AM
The Win Partition is very potent and very accurate.It would work fine at 100+ yds.

youp
September 5, 2006, 06:46 AM
Foster style slugs are not adequate for large game. I base this on a personal fight with a 200 plus pound black bear that had been shot in the shoulder with a 12 gage slug. The bear was in a foul attitude when we got after it. Its shoulder was green and infected. The slug squarely hit the upper front leg bone and failed to humanely kill the bear.

If he uses a 12 gage in the timber, with a premium slug he may be onto something... like total disgust when he breaks into a park and sees a 6x6 200 yards away. He will probably test the firearm and wound and lose the elk.

Go to Gunbroker.com and buy a used Savage 110 in the 30-06. He should be able to find one for less than $350 including shipping. After the hunt turn it over and pick up $275 or so. $75 insurance may be well spent.

Arizona Fusilier
September 5, 2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks for your replies so far. As an aside, my buddy has accounted for two cow elk over the past four years, one at about 30 yards and the other about 60, so yeah, sounds like the range can be doable. There are numerous long shot oppotunities though, and the terrain is not really that close overall. A shotgun would not be high on my list because of this, but his personal experience is obviously compelling as to the likelihood of a close shot.