PDA

View Full Version : quick follow-up in N.C.

bennnn
August 30, 2006, 06:33 PM
anyone know any ak friendly ranges in nc? Uwharrie state park range is closed...

bennnn
October 20, 2006, 09:13 PM
Still curious....

tony pasley
October 20, 2006, 09:43 PM
What part of N.C. areyou located if in the western part I know of several.

G23/40
October 21, 2006, 07:44 AM
Any range that is rifle friendly is AK friendly as far as I know.
Full-auto is another story.

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=98
G23/40

Dr. Courtney
October 21, 2006, 02:24 PM
What part of N.C. areyou located if in the western part I know of several.

I'm not sure where the original poster is, but I'm in Jackson county and could use some recommendations regarding nearby facilities.

Thanks,

Michael Courtney

tony pasley
October 21, 2006, 05:39 PM
Mossy Knob shooting range at the top of Tillie Creek rd. send a pm and Ican tell you more.

bennnn
November 11, 2006, 04:31 PM
Hey guys,

Sorry I didn't see all the replies, I've been wrapped up in some mil-surp talk when I'm here lately... But I need to find a Rifle range in NC,, PERIOD...

I live near the Triad. Every range I've checked out is an hour or more away for me. The Title "quick follow up" was regarding ranges that enforce slow shooting rules, I should have been more specific when I said; ak friendly ....

I shoot a lot of bolt action mil-surps and semi's, as well as a few AK's, but I just can't find anywhere close to home. It always has to be an all day, planned event.... Real Pain in T. A.

I would pay dearly to find a local land owner close to home that I could strike a deal with... I am a very safe and responsible shooter, but I need a place where I can concentrate and practice...

Thanks Guys,

Ben

PGrl
November 11, 2006, 09:29 PM
I hope you don't mind -- I'm sort of looking for places to shoot as well. There seem to be various clubs in the general basic Triangle area, but they all require knowing a member to join. :( Plus, having multiple hobbies, I really don't want to attend meetings and such. Anyone have suggestions for somehow getting invited to shoot (pistol) on one of these many ranges (Butner or Creedmoor for example)?

Billy Sparks
November 12, 2006, 06:01 AM
PGrl if you are in Vance county you need to check out The Range it is a range owned by Frank Glover in Oxford. You can find there website by going to IDPA's website then affilated clubs, then NC.

PGrl
November 12, 2006, 07:54 AM
I think that's the range that I went to for my concealed class, but the instructor said that they weren't taking any more memberships. :( But, I'll look using that name and try again.

bennnn
November 12, 2006, 02:25 PM
Still looking around the Winston Salem/High Point area........

UH1-D Rotorhead
November 12, 2006, 04:31 PM
....specifically, Blackwater in Moyock...great set up they have;)

bennnn
November 12, 2006, 06:50 PM
I know what you're talking about UH1-D Rotorhead,
http://www.blackwaterusa.com/

But that's about 3-1/2 hours drive, one way, from where I live....

I'm;;;;Still looking around the Winston Salem/High Point area........

I can (and do) drive 1 hour,,,, but if anyone knows anything closer to the Triad area???

geneinnc
November 12, 2006, 08:21 PM
Try Shooters in Statesville. Never been there, but lots of my skeet club go there for sporting clays. someone said they had a rifle range, not sure. google Watuaga Gun Club. Boone & Wilkesboro both have rifle ranges.

18DAI
November 12, 2006, 10:03 PM
There's a Gun club in Reidsville that has an outdoor rifle range. That's all the info I know on it. Try Reidsville yellowpage info. Good luck. Regards 18DAI.

bennnn
November 12, 2006, 10:10 PM
Thanks, I may end up there this winter... That's about an hour from me.....

Ronnie
November 13, 2006, 04:35 PM
The range in Uwharrie is now open. They closed it during the peak of the off-roading season there. I was up there in my Samurai on Saturday 11-11-06, and they were shooting like there was no tomorrow. Just thought I'd let you know.

Ron

bennnn
November 13, 2006, 05:26 PM
Great news, thanks. But if anyone else knows a rifle range close to W.S.,
I'm still looking. I'll sure be heading out to Uwharrie, it's about an hour but you can't beat the price...

Thanks a lot Ron, really good news for me and a lot of others...

Atlas Shrug
November 23, 2006, 02:18 PM
Ben,

Check out the RWVA range in Ramseur. Given the location and your thread on what being a Rifleman means, it might be a good match.

www.rwva.org (then go to the Forum for most info, read blog as well)

FWIW, there are some events coming up there that might be good to attend.

Dec. 2 there is the Korean War Sniper School.
Jan. 1 there is the New Year's Rapid Fire event.
Feb. 24-25 is the 2007 Appleseed Kickoff.

Enjoy.

jamie.27203
December 10, 2006, 05:48 PM
Where is the Uwharrie state park range? I recently relocated to Asheboro from the coast and I'm looking for a place to shoot.

NCHornet
December 24, 2006, 02:16 PM
If you want to come up to Mt Airy you can shoot your AK all you want in the woods behind my house. Not a range but a nice place to shoot!

RedneckFur
January 14, 2007, 12:39 PM
I'm gonna hop on to this thread too.

Does anyone know of any ranges in Orange county? I recently moved a little ways north of Chapel Hill, and it seems that this isnt a very gun freindly place.

dbracin
January 18, 2007, 01:09 PM
I'm recommend the Durham Pistol & Rifle Club located in Mebane. I'm a member and I'm quite pleased with what the club has to offer. Ranges from 25 yards, 50 yards, 100-200-300 yards and the pistol pit. ;)

http://www.dprc.org/

RedneckFur
January 18, 2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks! I looked at their website, and it looks like a great place to shoot. Somtime in the next 2-3 weeks, I'll try do drive down and check the place out in person.

bennnn
January 18, 2007, 07:52 PM
Thanks Ronnie and geneinnc ,,, I've been going to Shooters, in Statesville..

It's a great place to shoot anything..

bennnn
February 5, 2007, 09:17 PM
Old thread,,, New post....

I've been going to Shooters in Statesville for about three months.. It's great, the pistol range is the best for me.. I have not gone anywhere else since...
Their rifle range is kind of short, but it's such a great place to shoot that I don't mind too much.. Since I started this thread I've been lucky enough to find a local private spot to shoot whatever and however I want...

BUT,, There are not a lot of PUBLIC places to shoot in NC!!

So let's keep each other posted on where to go for the quick follow up shot in NC...

I'm still looking for a double tap friendly (indoor) pistol range close to the Triad area...

rantingredneck
February 5, 2007, 09:21 PM
Check out Handgunners, Inc. (http://www.handgunners.com/) I double and triple all the time and even do rapid fire mags without any problem. No stated policy against it and no griping when I do it. They're just outside Burlington. When you go there, PAY ATTENTION to the rules posted outside the door. Stop and READ THEM or they won't even buzz you in the door. Pistols, shotguns, rimfires, and pistol caliber carbines only, 25yds. No steel core ammo.

bennnn
February 5, 2007, 09:39 PM
Great post!! All Facts.....

I'll check it out. Could we start a mini-TFL rally..?

rantingredneck
February 5, 2007, 10:20 PM
I try to go at least every couple weeks. We could meet up there sometime if you like.

bennnn
February 11, 2007, 10:57 PM
rantingredneck,
I 'll be heading out to Shooters in Statesville next weekend,, but the week after that I could make it over to Burlington for a few hours... Let's work it out in the PM's.... I always need another friend...

rantingredneck
February 11, 2007, 11:08 PM
Will do. Have to check the calendar for that weekend. Not sure, but I think there might be a B-day party going on. Lotsa Feb birthdays in the family. May have to bump it back a week?

Mike P. Wagner
April 18, 2007, 09:02 PM
The Wake County will allow full auto, and anything up to .50 caliber.

http://www.wakegov.com/firingrange/default.htm

It would be a bit of a trek from the Triad. It's also indoors - the longest range is 100 meters.

Mike

bennnn
April 24, 2007, 07:23 PM
I recently heard some scuttlebutt about a private,, invite only rifle range near Lexington,,, anybody have any info on that?

Bushwhacker
April 25, 2007, 08:03 AM
Hope no one minds if I hitch a ride on here :rolleyes:

Looking for a place to shoot my new member to the family a M1A scout.

I am in the Charlotte area.

Also am looking for a shooting partner.......:cool:

bennnn
April 25, 2007, 07:56 PM
Nobody in NC's going to mind.. That's why I started this thread way back when...

I shoot in Statesville a lot, but most of Charlotte is actually closer...

2afreedom
May 6, 2007, 12:19 AM
FWIW Duncan Gun Shop has an outdoor range between Wilkesboro and Yadkinville on 421. I am not sure if that's too far to drive or not. You can call the store if you are interested. Also they have an indoor range in the North Wilkesboro store but it only goes out to 25 yards.

RedneckFur
May 6, 2007, 01:58 PM
I just joined DPRC in Mebane, NC (near Burlington and Chapel Hill) and I must say its a very nice place to shoot. Many different ranges, and a well kept facility. I'd encourage anyone else in the area to join.

hoytinak
May 24, 2007, 09:36 PM
Is Uwharrie still closed? Is it just the range or are the trails closed too? I've been deployed for a while and looked forward to going up there when i get back. I'm stationed in Fayetteville, and around there the only public outdoor range i know of is called Range 1 just past Spring Lake.

rantingredneck
May 24, 2007, 09:44 PM
I believe it's back open again. The range that is. Haven't been there since before the closure.

Bushwhacker
May 25, 2007, 08:55 PM
Just found out about a range that is on Wildlife Rd in Charlotte, supposed to be a club called Mecklenburg Wildlife. will give them a call next week. and find out.

SteelyNirvana
May 25, 2007, 10:28 PM
I need to jump in on this thread also. Does anyone know of any Ranges around Angier/Lillington/Benson/Willow springs?. I have heard there is a range in Bunnlevel. Has anyone on here been to it? I really need to find a 50 or 100 yard range to do some shooting. I am so tired of shooting at 10 yards at targets placed on the ground:( at my girlfriend's parents house.

bruce333
May 27, 2007, 02:25 PM
I have heard there is a range in Bunnlevel. Has anyone on here been to it? That would be Range 1. Unfortunatley they are closing for good June 15th. No word if they have a buyer or not.:(

http://www.range-1.com/memberletter.htm

FYI: Uwharrie is open daily now.
http://www.uwharrieinfo.us/index.php?f=87
and a forum started by one of the volunteers that has been helping keep it open:
http://uwharrie.proboards100.com/index.cgi

obxned
May 30, 2007, 04:23 PM
Bring your AK on vacation to the beach in Dare County, and go to the Outer Banks Gun Club. Visiting shooters are always welcome and full auto is just fine!!!

http://www.outerbanksgunclub.com/

bennnn
May 30, 2007, 07:36 PM
Great info bruce333 and obxned!!!!!!

I found a range that fits my needs quite well,, and it just happens to be less than 20 miles from my house!!!

It's this one.........

http://www.phashoots.com/

Not far from Winston,,, and really great place.. It's my new home....

I used to drive over an hour to get to Shooters in Statesville,, but now I don't need to.... I am going to miss that little cutie that runs the counter on weekends though...

Limeyfellow
June 4, 2007, 12:32 PM
Shooters is about 5 minutes drive from me. Normally I don't go to often since I have a private shooting range I do most my stuff on. Its just across the road from Allison's Wood however where I do quite a bit of telescoping too due to the lack of evil security lights in everybody yards that stay on all night.

I do wish Shooters had a longer rifle range which is pretty much most the stuff I do. Now if they went up to say 300 yards I would be there more often but land is really at a premium in this area right now so I don't see that happening.

Bushwhacker
June 4, 2007, 05:47 PM
Went to Sumter National Forrest this past weekend and tried to find the Leeds range but couldn't find it.:confused:
Anyone know anything about Leeds or Philson Crossroads range? Where they are and directions would help a lot.

:cool:

rantingredneck
July 7, 2007, 04:30 PM
I just joined Buckhorn Gun Club in Mebane today. Nice range, members and guests only. Pistol, rifle 100yd. , skeet.

Bushwhacker
July 7, 2007, 05:58 PM
How much did it cost? Got a web site?

SheGUN
July 21, 2007, 09:42 PM
This is an old thread, but I thought I'd jump in....

We're just outside of Winston Salem, and are also members of Shooters in Statesville. I like that range as it's outdoor, and you are pretty much on your own, without someone looking over your shoulder like you have at some ranges. It is a bit of a drive though, but well worth it for a few hours of blasting!! I also like that you are not really restricted as to what you can shoot.

Grandview Indoor range, which used to be in Winston, is re-opening as Sportsmen's lodge, and then there is Piedmont Handgunners Association in Davidson county. I believe there is also an outdoor range in Rowan county, somewhere near Salisbury. I can't remember the name but it had something to do with "Rowan Wildlife something".... These ranges are somewhat expensive to join, I suppose with the intention of keeping out the "riff-raff" ;)

rantingredneck
July 21, 2007, 09:53 PM
Sorry Bushwhacker. Just saw your post. Buckhorn Gun Club is 150 per year or 100 if you join after July 1, which I just did. Requires NRA membership also.

USMCSKI
July 25, 2007, 04:03 AM
Shooters Sporting Club
PO Box 93
Turnerburg, NC 28688
(704) 546-5400
Mainly skeet shooting but have a 150 yard rifle range and pistol range
The outdoor pistol range is $8.00 per hour for non members.
Non members are not permitted to shoot on the rifle range.
tues-sat 10:00 AM - Dusk
Sun 1:00 PM - Dusk
closed monday
IM USMCSKI
For info on joining at his corporate rate of $100

bennnn
August 7, 2007, 04:17 AM
Don't forget about pages 1 and 2,,,,,,, and NC people,,,,,

Better get over to this site and get on board,,, (pun intended..)

http://carolinashootersforum.com/index.php

Jbmoney21
August 17, 2007, 08:36 AM
You also have Windy Hill Trading Post in Elkin, NC which is pistol, rifle and skeet shooting.

Triad Gun Source just opened in Rural Hall also. They have a 5 or 6 indoor shooting range that is 23 yards i believe

Bailey Boat
August 17, 2007, 04:28 PM
I've been through all 3 pages of this thread and no one has mentioned MY club....Rowan County Wildlife Association. Just west of Salisbury...... Activities that are available to the public include, 6 skeet/trap fields, 5 stand and Sporting Clays down in the woods. Member benefits include 9 pistol bays, rifle range to 200 yards, archery range and a fishing pond...... What more could a guy ask for???? Pretty women?????? We have them also !!!!!!

PM me for more details if your interested..... Bill

NetJnkie
August 25, 2007, 01:22 PM
The Rowan range is very nice. I shot there for the first time two weeks ago at a USPSA event.

Rev Dr
August 27, 2007, 07:31 PM
Hello, I'm in Greensboro, NC, also looking for a nice outdoor rifle range.

So far I've shot at the Jefferson Forest range outside Blacksburg, VA--it's about 2 1/2 hours from Greensboro, a little closer to Winston-Salem. They have a 100 yrd rifle range with maybe a dozen benches and a shotgun area. It can get pretty crowded. Donations are requested, but no fee is required.

Also there's a range in Ellerbe, NC off NC-1424 at the John Lentz Hunter Education Complex. $5 for all day. They have archery, clays, pistol/shotgun range, but their rifle range is only 50 yrds. I spoke to a gentleman down there this past weekend, he said they're putting in a 200yrd range but he couldn't give me a time table on it.

Would be happy to find a 100yrd + range closer to home.

Here's a resource for finding ranges close to home--this page is for NC but it links to a national registry. I've found some information is out of date.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/findlocal.asp?State=NC

riddleofsteel
August 28, 2007, 03:13 PM
Archer's Gun Range on Archergate road. Go out Yancyville road past Lake Townsend. The first road to the left is Archergate road. There is a double wide mobile home about 1000 yards down the road with a nice dravel drive way beside it. It is privately owned and there is a waiting list most of the time. Nice range though.

Rockingham county gun club also has a nice range but you must have a sponsor to join. The range is near Reidsville.

I mostly shoot on my own land so I do not frequent public ranges very much.

ZeroJunk
August 31, 2007, 06:23 AM
The Rowan County club is super nice.That's one mean sporting clay range.

Selfdfenz
September 3, 2007, 09:44 PM
If anyone is still interest in clubs around W-S:

Pinnacle
Yadkin Valley Sportsmans Club
Pinnacle NC. Right at the foot of Pilot Mt.
25' pistol pit
100'
200'

I was member yrs ago. Kind of a hike but worth the drive IIRC.

Best,

S-

Rich636
September 8, 2007, 01:05 AM
Since all you NC guys are already in here, I'll be moving from Texas to Chapel Hill, NC in a week. What are some good stores for shooting and reloading in the area?

rantingredneck
September 8, 2007, 07:19 AM
Mace Sports in Mebane (sells powder and primers, no presses, not much lead)
Brian's Gun and Tackle in Haw River (No reloading that I know of, Gun prices can be a little high, but will negotiate)

Only two I know that are pretty close to CH (I live in Graham)

There's a Gander Mountain in Greensboro and Dick's sporting goods are scattered everywhere.

We are supposed to be getting a Sportsmen's Warehouse in Burlington soon and there has been talk for awhile about a Cabela's store opening in Mebane.

Rich636
September 9, 2007, 04:14 AM
Thanks RRN, I'll check those places out when I get there :)

Selfdfenz
September 9, 2007, 11:28 AM
I used to shop the Sportsman's Warehouse in Big D. Pretty reasonable prices and most of the time they had what I was looking for. To the best of my knowledege there isn't one in NC but they do have one in Columbia, SC.

Since I relocated in NC I do most of my shopping online.

BTW If it's not to late and you have any handgun purchases in mind get them in TX. Much bigger hassle here.

Hope you like CH and don't miss TX too much.

Best.

S-

hoytinak
September 18, 2007, 04:41 AM
Does anyone know if Pete as sold Range 1 yet?....if so are they re-opening? I'll be coming back off of deployment soon and need to take some of my guns out of the safe so they can breath. Any other outdoor ranges near Fayetteville?

bruce333
December 30, 2007, 07:43 PM
website still says it's open...still for sale too...ya' got $625000 laying around?

http://www.range-1.com/welcome.htm

bennnn
December 30, 2007, 09:33 PM
I'll take it!! :):):)