PDA

View Full Version : Survival kit information......and training ???

threegun
August 23, 2006, 10:25 AM
Does anyone have a training regiment which concentrates on survival skills?

tINY
August 23, 2006, 11:46 AM
Take what you think you need for 3 days in the area. Go out an live in the wilderness for 3 days.

Next time, take less.

Then less.

Eventually, you will be able to survive with what you can put in your pockets and maybe a small knapsack.

-tINY

VirgilCaine
August 23, 2006, 11:49 AM
Surviving what exactly?

A bear attack, a Katrina type event, civil unrest, bioterror..etc?

Are you going to bug out or stay at home? Do you have a family?

There is a wealth of information contained herein. Get specific and the members will fatten you up on food for thought.

My area of knowledge is primarily outdoor survival skills.

threegun
August 23, 2006, 12:14 PM
Virgil, Thats what I"m looking for Knowledge on wilderness survival. I live in Hurricane threatened Florida so my kit is tailored to surviving short term in the event of a natural disaster like a cane. My focus is now on preparing for the aftermath of a Bio/radio/chemical terror attack. If my family is not directly affected by the attack itself, the complications of such an attack could be just as bad or worst. Food shortages due to trucking restrictions etc. could lead to a civil unrest. Millions of unprepared citizens growing hungry will cause unparalleled violence this country has never seen. My food stores won't last forever and would become targets of hungry hoards of violent civilians. An option to both the above concerns would be to bug out into the woods. I'm already set in defensive or offensive tactics in any environment however I lack enough knowledge to extract everything the woods can offer in food, shelter, and concealment. If this is your specialty what would your LONG TERM kit include? What basic skills/tips can you give us? Thanks for the help.

VirgilCaine
August 23, 2006, 02:11 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0936348070/ref=pd_sim_b_2/102-4092456-4441728?ie=UTF8

http://www.purwaterfilter.com/purhikpursys.html

Boy, are you sure you want to bug out of your house? Bugging out alone is one thing, but with a family in tow, thats another thing all together.

For starters, get a good topographical map of your area and a compass, then learn how to use them. Obtain a means for guaranteed water, fire, and shelter. You can go for a long time without much food.

Do your homework, and practice a few things. Like Tiny advises, go out and camp, get hungry and cold. Most of the discomfort is in your mind.

Find a way out of town using side streets and back roads, then pre-run them.

Get a solar/windup radio. A bug out kit is personal, but make sure you have meds, insurance papers, maps and so on. Will you take pets?

You'll see a 'cane coming for days, I would hope, but I keep a mini kit in my jeep, and my wife keeps one in her SUV, then we have a more substantial kit at home. It is stored where we would ride out a tornado.

My paradigm is different from yours, as I live in a very isolated and rual area of Michigan's north woods, and I intend on staying put should something goofy happen.

It's your call obviously, but I would consider staying with your supplies and defending your home, rather than carrying supplies out into the open where you have a lot less control.

The Katrina-esque roaming gangs would probably move on once they realized you meant business.

Do a bit of homework, and practice some techniques. Don't be in such a hurry to leave your supplies and shelter.

Virgil

BlueTrain
August 23, 2006, 03:16 PM
Is there any wilderness east of the Mississippi?

I suggest you stock up on what your county government suggests and while you're at it, check out what the Federal government thinks about it. Disasters, such as they are, happen with depressing frequency, although with comforting regularity in places that ever have them. I have suggested in other threads that we all need thicker doors, so maybe that's a place to start.

threegun
August 23, 2006, 03:27 PM
Vigil, For short duration survival situations I would definitely try to stay put. I can defend the house and supplies, no problem. Especially with family and neighbors helping. Bugging out to the woods would be only if A. The house became indefensible. B. My supplies run out in the house and no end to the situations is near. C. If the problem was so obviously bad with no fix possible for months or more.

If C. happened I would conceder getting out early to stake a claim in the woods (which might be crowded if I wait).

The Katrina-esque roaming gangs would probably move on once they realized you meant business.

Agreed once the first two or three drop the others will flee I'm sure. The problem for me is if things get so bad that the choice is get shot by a home defender or die of starvation. Hunger will change things.

threegun
August 23, 2006, 03:33 PM

Don't know. Here in Florida we have Ocala National Forest for wilderness and the everglades for marshland styled woods. Either is okay with me. Food to be had everywhere, concealment, shelter, etc. Yes I own a canoe for the Glades.

VirgilCaine
August 23, 2006, 03:59 PM
I think I'd rather be in my home with no supplies than in the woods around a bunch of freaked out, displaced strangers, with no supplies.. Heck, barricade yourself in a grocery store. I think your chances would be better in town because that's where the stuff is.

I can picture what you are thinking, but think of it this way; if most of the folks panic and flee, the best place for you to be is were thay aren't... like your own back yard.

You can store enough in your own house to last months.

threegun
August 23, 2006, 04:41 PM
Virgil, If it goes on for months ie no food in stores etc. people will begin to starve to death. The average human can go three weeks without food. So if the average unprepared fool rations what little food they can scape up plus they eat the neighborhood dogs and cats etc. I estimate this time can be stretched for a few weeks or so. If it goes on for months everything eatable will be long gone locally within weeks. Katrina shows what the hunger of less than a week will do to less civilized citizens. Imagine them after a month or more. I live in a subdivision and while defense is possible from less than focused groups, a large group of determined bad guys could easily breech the defenses leaving no place to run for me and the family. Think about covering all sides of your home simultaneously from multiple moving targets shooting back...................reality dictates that chances of survival are slim. Sure many will die trying but if I die my kids die. It would be a hard decision (to leave) but getting away from the hungry mobs and deep into the woods might be better. At least if a perimeter breech is made escape deeper into the woods is possible. Tough choices hope it never comes down to it.

mogunner
August 23, 2006, 05:52 PM
Try this site. They have good information on putting together Survival Kits, as well as other Survival Information: http://www.survival.com

VirgilCaine
August 23, 2006, 06:05 PM
I understand your tactical dilema.

If things got that bad, then yes I agree, time to go.

I'm sure you can find text books/guide books about native Floridian flora and fauna (say that 5 times fast) that can help you pick out the berries, mushrooms, roots, grubs, reeds and what not you can ingest http://www.floridata.com/lists/vegetables_n_edible_plants.cfm

Learn to field dress and preserve game. Store salt.
Get Portable fishing gear or net.

Tactically, this is a pretty good basic list http://www.michiganmilitia.com/literature/level_1.htm

Never hurts to prepare your body http://www.michiganmilitia.com/evmm/medic/ptpage.html

Go out and really rough it for a few days. Great training, and you'll develop skills fast, and a good feel for what needs to be in your bug out load.

Bud Helms
August 23, 2006, 06:37 PM
threegun:Does anyone have a training regiment which concentrates on survival skills? Threegun asked about a training regimen, even though he said training regiment. If no one has any training regimen suggestions, and I haven't seen any, then this begins to look like another SHTF/BOB thread and we all know we don't do that on TFL ... don't we?

threegun
August 23, 2006, 08:09 PM
regimen; a system of diet, exercise,etc. for improvement of health.

regiment; to organize systematically.

I want a training program targeted to survival skills not for training my body. Regiment is listed in Webster as posted above. I don't think regimen is what I wanted as Websters lists it as a system of diet for improvement of health.

I am happy so far with most of the helpful links and suggestions. Mr. Helms please be patient, perhaps even more helpful info will come next. Thanks.

Dave R
August 23, 2006, 08:21 PM
What Tiny said. Go camping.

Get involved in Boy Scouts. They're all about SHTF training, in disguise. :D

Bud Helms
August 23, 2006, 09:41 PM
So you're actually looking for a training regiment? :D Well, I stand corrected! But what does survival training have to do with firearms? What you need is the US Army! ;)

threegun
August 24, 2006, 06:18 AM
Bud,

But what does survival training have to do with firearms? What you need is the US Army!

I agree that the Army would help but they won't take an old, slightly overweight, flat footed, man with a not 100 percent heart. My heart got me rejected in my teens at a physical. I'm sure it ain't any better at 38 years old.

But what does survival training have to do with firearms?

Technically nothing. However they go hand in hand if the SHTF. Just as a handgun is useless without proper tactics all my rifles, shotguns, and pistols aren't going to help much in a survival situation without knowledge from how to choose the correct weapon to which plants are edible.

chorlton
August 24, 2006, 08:18 AM
I owuld get a good book on survival such as the one by Lofty Wiseman or Eddie McGee. Read it, study it and try stuff. Some things you can do in your back yard.
When i think of a survival kit, I think of something you have incase you find yourself stranded or lose your pack, so I carry a kit no bigger than a pack of cigarettes. Most items in it are multipurpose and are tested. They will ensure or at least prolong my survival, and cover shelter, signals, water, fire and food. I think both of the books I mentioned give advice on items to choose.

garryc
August 24, 2006, 10:37 AM
http://www.m4040.com/Downloads/FM%2021-76%20US%20ARMY%20SURVIVAL%20MANUAL-

http://www.m4040.com/Survival/Survival.htm

pretty good info

threegun
August 24, 2006, 11:33 AM
Garry, Nice link thanks.

Chorlton, I have a mini kit already. I also have been working on a larger (long term kit) for a while now. I lack knowledge in shelter construction from available materials, food procurement (besides hunting, fishing, and trapping), and preservation of food without refrigeration. Garry's link will help tons. I plan on putting instructions on small note sheets and laminating them. Especially edible or otherwise useful plants in my area.

LoadIt
August 24, 2006, 02:11 PM
I saw this thread and it got me thinking I should study up also. First stop...local library. So yesterday after reading this thread I stopped by the library on my way to work and checked out a book called Practical Outdoor Survival: A Modern Approach To Staying Alive In The Wilderness. Author is Len McDougall. The author is a full-time outdoor writer and photographer. He says he learned most of what he knows from growing up around Native-American Indians in upper Michigan. Everything in the book, he says, has been personally put to use. He even suggests getting a .22 rifle. So far I am about half way through the book and it seems to be very informative. Alot more informative than my old Boy Scout Handbook.

chorlton
August 24, 2006, 02:13 PM
Here's Lofty's book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0002171856/104-9573929-0347954?v=glance&n=283155
Get to know the plants in your area, and use them as often as possible (not just in an emergency).

Denny Hansen
August 24, 2006, 03:14 PM
Ron Hood, along with Jeff Randall, writes our survival column Against All Odds in S.W.A.T. There's some good info on many subjects at this website: http://www.survival.com/IVB/

Denny

threegun
August 26, 2006, 03:27 AM
Denny, Thanks for that link. Once I have completed my kit I will photograph it and post the final product or at least as it exists then (always adding things etc).

tINY
August 30, 2006, 03:22 PM
Have you field tested this kit? Or is it strictly theoretical?

-tINY

skeeter1
August 30, 2006, 04:13 PM

Yes, there certainly is. I'm guessing you've never been to big chunks of PA, Southern OH, upstate NY, VA, WVA, or KY. There's still plenty of wilderness here.

I suggest you get a good first-aid kit:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MKT1030-20859-538.html

and some potable-aqua tablets:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZWN343-249-550.html

and some MREs:

http://theepicenter.com/mre_military_meal_ready_to_eat.html

I keep about a dozen-or-so around for "just in case." If they're good enough for my young friend currently stationed in Baghdad, they're good enough for me.

Arizona Fusilier
August 30, 2006, 08:31 PM
The best training is "hands-on"; I don't think there is anything practical you could rehearse for the awful scenario you described, or that you would want to.

Hunting and fishing are the two that have the most applicability to long term situations, and they can be fun, too. That's the primary reason I go out every year.

Other than that, read alot. I confess, I have found a few of these links interesting and have added them to my favorites.

One other thing; figure out the exact parameters under which you would "bug out" and discuss them frankly and forthrightly with your family ahead of time. All the planning you make will go out the window when your wife/SO insists you remain where you're at because you can't take the family china.

threegun
August 31, 2006, 01:34 PM
Katrina proved to my family that I am not a crazy gun nut but rather prepared. I had been telling them for years to get prepared with only a chuckle as a response. Now they realize that I was right. If the time comes and things are so bad as to have to bug out there will be not questions from the wife. If one does pop up surprisingly a simple trip into the bug out bag for some duct tape and off we go LOL.

tINY, As it stands now my kit contents are theoretical or better put untested. I plan on testing some of the snare traps and shelter constructing information soon. My boys love the camping type trips. Information is crucial.

Mikeyboy
August 31, 2006, 02:01 PM
Like skeeter said, there are lots of woods east of the Ol' Miss, From the Pocono Mountains across Northern PA and Southern NY and into parts of OH is a vast stretch of prime wilderness, aka my favorite hunting grounds. The Blue Ridge mountains, Smokey Mt Nation Park, Finger Lakes, Everglades, most of WV, Heck they filmed Deliverance in GA. Unfortunately unlike the West we have more private land here that has been developed. I think the ratio between Public/Protected land and Private land is a lot greater in the west than the east. The east has been settled longer, so less unspoiled woods, but there is still a good portion left. I'll admit though, unlike out West if you get lost in the eastern wood all you need is to walk 20 miles straight in any direction and you will hit a house, road, or some sort of civilization. I have been to CO, WY, AZ and in some areas where it seems there is not a soul for hundreds of mile.

Back to the subject of the post. Big things you need to think about in survivial prep regardless of the situation is Water, Food, Fire, Shelter, and Protection. Rule of thumb seems to be food and water for 3 days, otherwise pack according to the enviroment you are likely to be in. As long as you understand the basic concept of how to hunt/trap/kill/prepare an animinal, how to find/decontaminate water, how to make an improvised shelter, how to make fire, how to defend yourself (2 and 4 legged threats) and how to take care of yourself and others (first aid, basic hygiene, sewing, etc.) you will be fine.

garryc
September 2, 2006, 11:30 AM
I see some mention of MRE's in theis post. I don't have them in my pack. I carry two boxes of high energy bars. They are sufficiant to get me to the point I can forage.

My pack is light.
Two coils soft wire
3 1/4" snares without stops
Pack packers water filter.
3 knives
small aluminum pot with lid
Rain gear
8x8 sheet of plactic
2 bankets
plant I.D books
meds
first aid kit