PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Bathroom Concealment

Maveri9720
August 16, 2006, 07:46 PM
Alright, I'm new to CC and I just got my holster the night before last. My permit probably won't be coming for a couple of months, so I have been wearing the holster and my carry gun around the house to get comfortable with it.

I just got done searching three seperate forums and only 1 had one thread with only a couple responses to my questions. That tells me that either I am way too paranoid/obsessive about carrying, or that it really isn't relevant, of which I am inclined to believe that it is probably 50/50, but I am going to ask anyway.

Last night, while wearing, I went to the bathroom to do my business. I dropped my pants and then started to notice that my gun was on the floor and exposed. That's when I started to evaluate what my options could be:

1. Take the gun out and put it on the toilet dispenser
- Not a great idea, b/c most aren't flat on top and there is a slight chance of leaving it behind by accident. Not something you want to have happen and then try to explain it.

2. Take off holster and gun and hang it on the coat hanger on door.
- Not good, b/c you can't reach it if needed and someone could possibly snag it if they knew beforehand that you were carrying, ie printing, etc.

3. Take gun out of holster and place it inside pants/underwear to conceal it.
- "No, my gun doesn't smell dude."

4. Try to hold the gun/place it on your lap.
- Don't like this b/c it's not very secure and I would be juggling it around.

Yea, I know, I'm just a new guy and this is probably WAY to nit-picky, but I would like to know what you all do and how you handle it.

Side note:

I read about people preferring stalls to urinals to pee in b/c it provides more security if someone saw you were carrying and they followed you in to disarm you while you were doing your business.

Anybody have any thoughts on this or other quirks they would like to share?

Thanks for humoring me in my paranoia.

jhenry
August 16, 2006, 07:57 PM
What I do is to unholster and place my pistol kind of nestled in the crotch of my pants while I sit there and think. You maintain control that way and absolutely will not forget it on the back of the stool or something, which does happen to folks from time to time.

tony pasley
August 16, 2006, 07:58 PM
question what is your cover for your weapon. jackets and vest have large pockets

qwik
August 16, 2006, 08:27 PM
belt buckled & leg tension about the knee, works great for me :o

RERICK
August 16, 2006, 08:35 PM
Your kidding.Right?

Maveri9720
August 16, 2006, 08:41 PM
Tony,

My cover is usually just a t-shirt or polo. No fancy vests or anything.

Rerick,

Thanks for your valuable input.

Qwik,

Someone said the same thing in the thread that I found previously and to me, I think personally, I would be an accident just waiting to happen. Whether the gun flips out and onto the floor, or worse yet, the toilet, or the gun gets folded over when trying to pull my pants up, just doesn't seem comfortable to me. But if it works for you, then more power to you.

Thanks

Maveri9720
August 16, 2006, 08:42 PM
Jhenry,

This seems the most logical to me and seems to be something I am the most comfortable with. So I agree with you and think this is what I will do.

Thanks.

atlctyslkr
August 16, 2006, 09:13 PM
This has really got me thinking because I am about to make a road trip. Fortunately my license is recognized where I am going so I'll be packing all the way. I have never had to take a dump in a public place while carrying but there is a first time for everything. I like the setting it on the toilet paper dispenser idea. I think that might be the best way. As far as leaving it behind I don't think I would do that but it could happen. I guess this makes a good case for pocket carry.

sevesteen
August 16, 2006, 10:07 PM
Try for a stall with a real wall on your gun side.

Buckle your belt on the first hole, pull your pants up enough so the gun is above the stall gap, use leg pressure to hold it there. You might also be able to sort of wrap your gun up in the waistband of your pants, depends a lot on the holster and gun you use. .

Doug.38PR
August 16, 2006, 10:36 PM
Hahahaha! Sorry, this thread just reminded me of a John Wayne movie called Big Jake in which Jake (played by Wayne) takes a shower in a then new (1909) public shower stall in a town. It has a gate to it covering your body. A man comes in and Jake says "won't be long" the guy pulls out a gun and holds him at bay saying "you just stay right where you are." A few minutes pass and he stands up and takes aim to shoot Jake "No hard feeling's mister" BOOOM!!!!! A shotgun blasts through the stall gate and sends the bad guy against the wall dead. Jake kept a shotgun in the stall with him.

Anyway, the only time I've ever used a public restroom sitting down is when I was carrying my Detective Special. I just took off my coat and either put it in my pants pocket or put the holster and gun in the inside coat pocket and hanged up the coat on the door.

I try to avoid public restrooms :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: but I'm not sure what I'd do with my Official Police or any of my other larger CCW. If I had to go bad enough to where I would have no choice but to use the restroom, I would probably go out and leave the gun in the car and then go...or if I was wearing my shoulder holster instead of hip holster I would just leave it on and take my coat off. Nobody is going to notice your gun on your person unconcealed in the restroom stall......at least they are not supposed to....even if someone does notice you and reports you....the question you only need ask (and what any policeman should ask) "What were you doing looking in my stall?"

Actually....you might even be able to make a case that a public restroom stall becomes your private residence while you are using it...it is supposed to be privacy.

Raptor5191
August 17, 2006, 09:58 AM
I don't know about everyone else, but I prefer to have bathrooms visible to my guests. I do not want them to get lost in my house and end up in the utility room.

:)

RERICK
August 17, 2006, 04:05 PM
Maveri9720
Your welcome.

Jeff #111
August 17, 2006, 04:29 PM
Oh sure you all laugh. Hasn't anybody seen Psycho? Or perhaps Unforgiven with Clint Eastwood. Remember the guy in the outhouse? Better to be prepared.;)

Hedley
August 17, 2006, 04:42 PM
If you don't let your waist band drop to you're ankles, there's no way to get caught with your pants down. I don't want to get into my methods of taking care of business, but who lets there pants fall to their ankles while on the john? It lets them touch the nasty floor and you loose that necessary "pants tension" between your legs that's vital in reading your favorite mag. I'd say rest your piece there or on the tp dispenser.

Dwight55
August 17, 2006, 05:21 PM
Whatever you do, . . . make sure you maintain control of the weapon, . . . to include AD's and ND's.

Our CCW instructor shared his AD story: bathroom, . . . in a hurry, . . . didn't secure the weapon, . . . got a .32 auto FMJ in his right rear cheek. He was a new LEO at the time, . . . had one heck of a time living that one down, . . . and since it was 40 or so years ago, . . . no big deal to anyone but him.

Do that today in WalMart, . . . you'll have to lawyer up and a whole bunch of other nasty stuff.

Personally, . . . I unholster if I have to sit, . . . and the gun goes down into my boot, . . . in the inside, . . . so I cannot possibly leave without it.

May God bless,
Dwight

Sum1_Special
August 17, 2006, 06:03 PM
Oh thank god, when I saw this thread I thought you were actually worried about somebody breaking in your home while you were in the bathroom, you know, one of those guys that keep a gun in every room in they're house for no real reason. :rolleyes:

What you are asking is a very good question. I would say put your gun wherever you see fit at the time, it's simple common sense, if the toilet has a flat top, put it on there, if you could put it on the paper dipenser, do it. Just keep it out of sight from people who could see it under the stall. Little chance a mugger will ever rob you while you are actually sitting on the crapper so there isn't much to worry about there. Don't get overly paranoid about it, you're not a drug dealer.

jhenry
August 17, 2006, 06:25 PM
Actually folks get robbed in public restrooms often enough that it is an issue. A common tactic, and this is more of an issue with women, is for the perp to reach over the door and take whatever is hanging on the hook, purse, jacket, GUN, whatever. The victim is a bit preoccupied at the time and can't really get up and give chase. Women also have their purses stolen off the floor from the neighboring stall. Very common. I usually avoid sitting down at rest stops, malls, etc. but sooner or later, provided a person actually carries, it will happen. This, retaining physical control of the weapon, and having a method of NEVER forgeting the weapon is the reason I would recomend just nestling it in the crotch area of yer britches till done. Perps like public restrooms because of the preoccupation factor of their victims. Just a thought.

Maveri9720
August 17, 2006, 07:24 PM
I agree with you 100% Jhenry.

Good info.

Don H
August 17, 2006, 10:13 PM
Those oversized stall for people in wheelchairs work out really well.

Eightball
August 17, 2006, 10:22 PM
Use a shoulder holster:D .

leadcounsel
August 18, 2006, 03:16 AM
In a public restroom I always choose a stall, and always pick the largest stall available.

If I'm standing I'll just unzip and keep the pressure tense enough around the waistband or one forearm pressed against the gun. Takes alittle practice, but if you hold the gun tight with your forearm it's fine.

If I'm sitting, if the floor looks clean (such as a nice restaurant etc.) then I'll just set the pistol on the floor at my feet. If the floor isn't an option, I'll choose a ledge of some sort. I've never been in a sitaution where the floor, a ledge, sink whatever isn't an option but if it weren't I suppose I'd just balance it on my legs or stuff it in my shoe.

DonR101395
August 18, 2006, 03:22 AM
I just have a seat and put the pistol in the crotch of my pants. Not much chance of forgetting it or someone reaching over the stall to steal it.

svtruth
August 18, 2006, 12:07 PM
there are threads here, or at THR on LEO NDs in stalls. Also about guns being left behind.

Wildalaska
August 18, 2006, 12:17 PM
I hold my piece in my hands and point it at the door in case some badguyzombieninjaalien attacks

WilddontforgettolookupincasetheycomeoverAlaska

spacemanspiff
August 18, 2006, 01:49 PM
I use my ninja boots to climb up the walls, so I can get a good view of what other people are doing. It makes them nervous, and if thats not enough to make them scurry out of the bathroom, realizing I am dropping bombs five feet over the bowl (my accuracy is about 64% and improving) assures I can finish my business in peace.

jacob
August 18, 2006, 02:31 PM
With most types of holsters you just unzip and pee. If you are standing at the urinal, what is the issue, if you have an inside waist band holster, outside (on belt) holster, etc. I have gone through many holsters, and I have the typical "box of many holsters." I kept returning to the belly band. This keeps the gun behind the hip, close in for deep concealment. It is much more comfortable than anything else I have tried, as it flexes with my body movements. It functions the same way for drawing as an IWB holster. If wearing a jacket or long shirt, the grip can be exposed over the pant. Or the shirt can be tucked over it. When I go to the bathroom, it is irrelevant. I simply unzip and go. Or, if sitting on the throne, I can take my pants down without the gun coming down. Of course, an undergarment goes on under the holster to prevent irritation against bare skin.

PaulBk
August 18, 2006, 02:43 PM
Koala Baby Changing Station inside the stall? ;)

-PB

snolden
August 19, 2006, 10:13 PM
+1 more on the gun to the crotch of the pants with this exception. Get a holster that you can remove from your belt easily (Galco Scout fits this bill very well).

When you sit remove holster and gun and set in your pants. This will prevent ND's if it is a quality holster.

tanksoldier
August 20, 2006, 02:36 AM
I use a shoulder holster 90% of the time.

When I do belt carry I use stalls for all my transactions. :)

If I have to sit down with belt carry I usually try to use the handicap stall, and I use the "knee tension method" of keeping my belt up near my knees... keeps pants off dirty floor too.

FUNNY STORY: When I was a volunteer firefighter, the local sheriff substation was next door to the fire station. Older deputy used to come over and shoot the bull once in a while, esp when we had just been on a call together. One day he left the station, saw him drive away in his prowler... ten minutes later he comes back in, takes his gunbelt off the coatrack, and walks out again without saying anything.

revjen45
August 20, 2006, 08:55 AM
6 weeks or so ago there was a thread covering the same question in Evan Marshall's site, with very similar input. I hate using public facilities for #2 also and avoid it whenever possible. My answer would be to set the gun cradled between my legs in my underwear and cover it with a paper towel. (No it won't make my gun stink. I change my skivvies pretty regular and am not incontinent.) Using a stall to whizz for security makes a lot of sense. When I am carrying in the front pocket of my pants there is no problem and I can have my hand on my little friend all the time.

Jack Malloy
August 21, 2006, 03:24 PM
Col. Cooper used to recommend taking your pistol out and putting it down inside your pants.

Mass Ayoob pointed out that on the old TV show Barney Miller, detective Fish, who was an older guy wore a shoulder rig. ...
That takes care of that....
I seem to recall a story from the seventies about a cocked and locked fan who used to hang his peice on the little hook on the mens room wall for coats...But his grip safety was disconnected, and the thumb safety got wiped off unbeknownst to him...
He wound up with the gun going off about four times in a circle till it finally malfed....

If the commode is an older model with a flat top, I rest my peice on that...If I am wearing an IWB rig, I put the whole rig on it, to avoid scuffing it.
When I worked security, I once dropped a shiny stainless .45 into a dry sink and scuffed the hell out of it....
Porcelain is slick, you know....
These days, I usually pack a J frame or Officers Model size 1911, so I can stick it in a pocket (usually on a vest) when in the crapper.

The fact that you dont see much comment about a peice in the crapper just shows that many chairborn rangers online don't know squat about real world self defense, not that you are paranoid....:cool:

Jack Malloy
August 21, 2006, 03:28 PM
PS for what it is worth, I am a diabetic as are a large number of Americans.
Even though my diabetes is currently under control (94 was my reading this morning on my meter:D ) many of us with a malf-ing pancreas do have to pee quite a bit and the idea of just avoiding restrooms is out of the question.
Before I got my diabetes under control I had to travel with a hospital style urine jug because often I had to stop and whiz ON THE WAY to the nearest rest stop....

If you urinate a lot, have leg cramps at night, suffer from blurry vision, etc...get your sugar level checked. Diabetes kills more people every year than AIDS and Cancer combined. It got Johnny Cash, and it got Waylon Jennings and it can get you too.

wolfy692005
August 21, 2006, 04:49 PM
That's not paranoid at all

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I do is to unholster and place my pistol kind of nestled in the crotch of my pants while I sit there and think. You maintain control that way and absolutely will not forget it on the back of the stool or something, which does happen to folks from time to time.

this is exactly what i do as well
:D

raymond-
September 9, 2006, 05:52 PM
POSTED: 9:48 am PDT September 8, 2006
HUDSON, N.H. -- What do you do with the gun in your pants when you go to the john?

Police in Hudson, N.H., have charged Charles Masterson, 36, with felony reckless conduct after his pistol went off in a Wal-Mart restroom (http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=2n9dsol). Masterson said he was pointing his Glock semiautomatic toward the ceiling, just as he had been taught was the safest thing to do when a gun wasn't being used. The precaution backfired when the gun discharged Tuesday night while Masterson was in the bathroom.

Police said the gunshot scared the wits out of a teenage Wal-Mart employee in the next stall. The young Wal-Mart worker told police Masterson put the gun back in his pants and walked out of the bathroom like nothing happened. Wal-Mart employees called police.

Police charged him for putting the teenage employee in danger. Masterson's 13-year-old son also was in the bathroom.

He was jailed overnight but released Wednesday after a court appearance.

orionengnr
September 9, 2006, 06:06 PM
after his pistol went off in a Wal-Mart restroom. Masterson said...

Yeah, damn Glocks. They just go off all the time, don't they? :rolleyes:

Dreadnought
September 10, 2006, 01:02 AM
I use my ninja boots to climb up the walls, so I can get a good view of what other people are doing. It makes them nervous, and if thats not enough to make them scurry out of the bathroom, realizing I am dropping bombs five feet over the bowl (my accuracy is about 64% and improving) assures I can finish my business in peace.
LMAO!

MY CHP instructor told us about a Maryland State Trooper who was knocked out by a guy who smashed his face into the flush valve of the urinal at a rest stop. The perp only took the Trooper's boots. Makes you think twice about using a urinal.

I personally carry IWB and have given the matter a deal of thought. I try to avoid using public toilets if I can, and have not had to exercise any of these methods yet. Laying the gun or holster anywhere but my pants would not be my preference. I believe someone in another thread dealing with this subject called it the IUC holster- Inside the Underwear Crotch.

shooter_john
September 10, 2006, 05:23 AM
Whenever I MUST use a public restroom for #2, I got to the last stall (usually a handicap) and I will tuck the pistol and holster between the safety rail and the wall. This method is secure, sturdy, and out of view of passers-by.

Geoff Timm
September 10, 2006, 07:50 AM
A Federal LEO of my acquaintance carried a 2" .38 M&P in a snap on inside waist band holster. When he went to the facility he always used a stall with a locking door and if he had to sit, he unsnapped the holster and placed the holstered gun into the breast pocket of his shirt. Of course he was a large shouldered man.

Died of cancer a few years back.

Geoff
Who misses ya Red! :cool:

Duxman
September 11, 2006, 12:32 PM
+1 to Shooter Johns techniques.

That handicap rail is good times.

And with regards to folks who forget their firearms. Because they rested it on top of the toilet lid etc.

Whenever I go out into the world - and even in my home for that matter, I know where each and everyone of my guns are. This is just out of concern for my fellow man and being a responsible gun owner.

That means - no cell phone calls in the bathroom, or taking notes, or thinking about the pretty waitress. Because what eventually happens is, you forget you are carrying and leave your gun behind.

A little awareness and a lot of responsibility goes a long way.

tegemu
September 11, 2006, 03:34 PM
Putting the gun in the crotch of your underwear sounds good but what do you suggest for boxer wearers?

jcoiii
September 11, 2006, 04:17 PM
I have a belly band for my weapon. I just pull it up around my stomach/chest area:cool:

FireBreather01
September 11, 2006, 04:49 PM
I can have my hand on my little friend all the time.
You're referring to your gun???
:D :D :D

smooks75
September 11, 2006, 04:57 PM
MY CHP instructor told us about a Maryland State Trooper who was knocked out by a guy who smashed his face into the flush valve of the urinal at a rest stop. The perp only took the Trooper's boots. Makes you think twice about using a urinal.

Just ask any state Corrections officer if he will ever use a urinal again. I for one will not. I was a trainee, once upon a time, and I was bloodied and felt stupid. Never again!

PinnedAndRecessed
September 25, 2006, 12:30 AM
Well, they're also talking about it over here:

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=594249

Personally, I think you should just hold it in your teeth. Kind of like a pirate with a knife.

Bud Helms
September 25, 2006, 02:18 AM
So. I think we've had enough of this.

If you come along during wakeful hours and see this thread closed, I can only say, you should have been here in the wee hours. You'd understand.

It looks like Bathroom Carry threads will go the way of SHTF and TEOTWAWKI threads ... don't even bother.