PDA

View Full Version : Creative places you've stashed a handgun

Ichiro
August 7, 2006, 08:00 PM
Now, I don't expect anyone to give out their secrets, but this is a more-or-less anonymous forum and I'm looking for ideas.

Where have you stashed a handgun in your home or car that you feel is an especially clever stashing place?

All of our guns, except the one I'm carrying, are stashed in quick-access safes. We have one on each floor of the house.

Mannlicher
August 7, 2006, 08:53 PM
I typically stash one a little behind my right hip, resting in Sam Andrews IWB holster. :D

atlctyslkr
August 7, 2006, 09:07 PM
Empty cereal box in pantry, back when I lived in the 'hood. Was hoping theives wouldn't be hungry!

cpaspr
August 7, 2006, 09:23 PM
two places:

Hanging upside down from a hook under the bathroom cabinet, just above the door, and

behind a decorative blanket hung like a cheap tapestry (I was young and poorer).

Back then, I was more interested in not having them stolen if someone broke in. They weren't even loaded.

A third place, different apartment - under the bottom drawer of the dresser.

Ichiro
August 7, 2006, 09:35 PM
Leave it to stupid thieves to risk incarceration for a few mouthfuls of cereal!

Does anyone stash a handgun in a holster mounted on furniture or appliances? I'm thinking a handgun won't be found in most cases if it's mounted behind the washer or dryer, or on the back of a sofa or underneath a dining room table covered with a table cloth.

joab
August 7, 2006, 09:44 PM
Toilet tank

GodblessAmerica
August 8, 2006, 01:13 AM
I like how you are thinking outside the box here, Ichiro. If you are really contemplating hiding guns in unusual locations, however, it would be good to do a risk analysis for yourself before doing so. Examples: Are there children around who might find said firearms? Is there a significant other who may one day "redecorate" by selling or ditching the furniture concealing the firearms? You get the idea. I have thought this one all the way through several times, and I like it if it can be safe, secure and not sold at a yard sale!. My other long term suggestion is to include this information in an estate plan with an attorney so nothing goes amiss if something happens to you.

Esquire M Busterbury
August 8, 2006, 02:35 AM
False bottom in bedside drawer...that, and a non-locking hideaway picture frame.

OneInTheChamber
August 8, 2006, 10:17 AM
I hide my guns in my safe:D

Other than such a safe place as that; I've seen ads for fake electrical outlets. No one would ever guess that (unless the thief decides to plug the vacuum in and do some cleaning for you).

BouncerDan
August 8, 2006, 11:09 AM
When I built my house I had a secret cubby hole built into my shower which was (for the most part) water proof with a removable tile so it fit in with the rest of the shower. Keep a Ruger .357 mag there to this day.

john in jax
August 8, 2006, 01:00 PM
Inside a closet (not a walk-in) up over the door. Most closets are "shallow" and while a BG might go thru your clothes and items on shelving, he probably won't look straight-up over his head. Not how I'd choose to store guns with kids around, but it worked for me "pre-kids".

A friend of mine built his own entertainment center (think wall unit). The main "shelf" concealed a hide-a-way compartment approx 5" high, 60" wide and+/-24" deep. It easily held a couple of long guns and a bunch of hand guns. The way it was built, you'd never know it was there.

riverkeeper
August 8, 2006, 01:12 PM
I HEARD that some folks split the upholstery seam on the rear of the passenger's seat toward the driver---insert a small holster and appropriate handgun, sew velcro on the seams to reseal.

Sounds bogus.

Ichiro
August 8, 2006, 01:19 PM
Some great ideas here :)

chadwimc
August 8, 2006, 05:27 PM
My wife has a holster screwed to the back of our bed's headboard. Its where she keeps her .357(which *USED* to be mine). The bed is against the wall, so the piece is invisible. A lot of burglars will toss the mattresses looing for a gun, but how many will toss the whole bed?

AmesJainchill
August 8, 2006, 05:59 PM
Copy that. I like this thread.

Glockamolie
August 8, 2006, 06:06 PM
A hollowed-out book from the used bookstore. Put it on the bookshelf with several other books. Playing the odds, I didn't figure that a criminal would want to educate himself, or could even read for that matter. :)

Capt Charlie
August 8, 2006, 08:40 PM
Along with my storm door, my main entry door is steel with only a small window at the top. I have a nylon holster with my Colt Det. Spl. velcroed to the inside of the door, just above the doorknob, canted toward me about 45 degrees, when I open it.

I can open the door to someone, & they never know my hand is just inches from a weapon. Should I invite them in, I simply close the storm door and leave the main door open, which puts the gun back against a wall and is never seen by a guest.

Anthony2
August 8, 2006, 08:51 PM
In a past house:

One in each toilet tank.
One behind the bricks in the fireplace.
One in an unused and unwired overhead light.

The only hard part was remembering them all when we moved.:)

Great ideas fellas....

kozak6
August 8, 2006, 09:40 PM
I don't stash guns anywhere special...

But I have read of using those refrigerator sized freezers, unplugged, out in the garage. Stick a lock on it, and that would be great. I bet a broken freezer could be picked up real cheap, too.

The size would allow you keep a ton of longarms in it as well.

Ichiro
August 8, 2006, 10:00 PM
So how do you keep a hangun in a toilet tank? Doesn't it get full of water?

skeeter1
August 8, 2006, 10:00 PM
I'm old school.

Most of my guns are in the bedroom closet, and the one I keep for HD is in the dresser drawer underneath my socks.

Other than that, I have no hiding places, and don't plan to.

joab
August 8, 2006, 10:19 PM
So how do you keep a hangun in a toilet tank? Doesn't it get full of water?Tupperware, Saran Wrap and silica AerolGel.

XavierBreath
August 8, 2006, 10:19 PM
At my desk is a scanner. It has no guts. Lift up the top, and remove handgun.

DietCola
August 8, 2006, 10:46 PM
Inside the cabinet under the sink. Behind the dead panel there is plenty of room to put a hook or holster and mount a handgun.

Big lazy boy with a small handgun tucked deep inside the cushion on your strongside.

I personally don't have any "hidden" guns because I live with my gf but I have many places in my mind for the day I decide to use them.

Also, I used to think I would know what a robber would do if he broke in until I saw "It takes a thief" and I would bet they could find your "hidden" guns.

j-framer
August 9, 2006, 08:01 AM
I especially like the scanner idea, XavierBreath. There is something particularly delightful about human creativity when it comes to preparing nasty surprises for evil people....:) I would be simply transported with joy to see a BG's face when Xavier grabs a 1911 out of his Lexmark.

The hollowed-out book idea is hard to beat. No matter how many people have heard about this method, there is still no way for an intruder to go through every big book in the house looking for a weapon (at least not in my house, I'm something of an academic, so it would take a month to go through my books :rolleyes: ).

As people have said, very nice and informative thread.

Ichiro
August 9, 2006, 09:39 AM
It takes a thief is a great show. I'm glad you brought that up.

I've seen that guy just knock everything off shelves onto the floor and see if anything worth stealing emerges. Evidently, people like to hide their valuables on shelves.

I've never seen him move a heavy sofa or bed, or look in a toilet tank.

Big Calhoun
August 9, 2006, 10:37 AM
Well, I've used the old classic 'pistol under the newspaper'. Usually when I'm at home alone.

If company is over and I'm on the couch, then I'll stash it in the cushions.

When travelling, I tend to take them with me. However, a good method in general when you're away from your home is to take whatever you want to hide, stash it in a garbage bag, and put it amongst dirty clothes. NO ONE looks through dirty clothes...unless they're a perv...then they're not usually looking to rob you in that case.

AmesJainchill
August 9, 2006, 12:16 PM
Tupperware, Saran Wrap and silica AerolGel.

Ah! Tupperware. I didn't think of that. I thought of stashing the gun in the toiler tank if you were owning it illegally and the police were searching your place, but I didn't think of tupperware.

What's aerolgel and what's it for? Make it float?

AK103K
August 9, 2006, 12:29 PM
Along with my storm door, my main entry door is steel with only a small window at the top. I have a nylon holster with my Colt Det. Spl. velcroed to the inside of the door, just above the doorknob, canted toward me about 45 degrees, when I open it.

I can open the door to someone, & they never know my hand is just inches from a weapon. Should I invite them in, I simply close the storm door and leave the main door open, which puts the gun back against a wall and is never seen by a guest.
I do something similar. I have an old Uncle Mikes kydex belt holster screwed into the back of our front door with a C&L 1911 in it. A couple of jackets usually hang on pegs on the back of the door, so no one knows anything is there when the door is closed. As Capt Charlie said, your hand is basically on the gun when you open the door.

joab
August 9, 2006, 03:10 PM
I thought of stashing the gun in the toiler tank if you were owning it illegally and the police were searching your placeI got the idea from someone who had to do just that. Unfortunately the cp searching the house had apparently heard of this from someone else.

Aerogel is the desiccant that you find in those little bags you find in leather and electronic goods and bulk packs of beef jerky that say "Do Not Eat"

It is also used in pest control so I usually have about ten pounds on hand.

The gun I stashed was one of the two that I owned and was the one that I did not carry or use from day to day and I lived in an apartment in an iffy part of town.

The method is worthless if you need quick access

stardate
August 10, 2006, 09:48 PM
There is a company called Thunderwear that makes holsters from underwear.
Thought it was poor holster and a dangerous way to carry a handgun.

Until a friend of mine took some old underwear and attached a holster to
the inside of the underwear. He hides a handgun in his dirty laundry bag with this setup when traveling. Only using it when he must leave the gun behind.
They look so bad I think he could lay them on the street and no one would
pick them up.

Ichiro
August 10, 2006, 10:05 PM
Anyone install a holser on the side of their bed's frame? Not for hiding, but for quick access at night.

For emergency preparedness at night, I've always got three things on the bedside table: (1) a revolver with CTC grips, (2) a Surefire flashlight, and (3) my cell phone. Rather than piling them up on the bed stand in a random fashion, I'm thinking holsters mounted to the bed would be a better option, at least for the gun and the flashlight.

I'm not a terribly deep sleeper, so I don't think there's any danger of "answering" my .38 or shooting someone with my Surefire.

springmom
August 10, 2006, 11:02 PM
I have no interest in being creative. I want it where I can get at it, and digging around in the Captain Crunch isn't my idea of accessible :D

Mine are 1) in my holster on my waistband, 2) in my holster in the special place in my purse (1 & 2 are often an "and", not an "or") 3) bedside table at bedtime only; 4) in the safe.

With a 17 year old in the house with many friends, guns don't get stashed in cute places that some hungry teenager might find them. But that's us.

Springmom

Ichiro
August 11, 2006, 01:10 PM
With a 17 year old in the house with many friends, guns don't get stashed in cute places that some hungry teenager might find them. But that's us.

Would be us, too, if we had kids.

death2twinkys
August 11, 2006, 06:20 PM
I consider myself somewhat of a computer nerd. With that being said I am considering taping a cheap holster in between the 2 moniters I have sitting on my computer desk. Less to keep it hidden from theives, but more to keep it hidden from any wackos that may wander into my house. Since, I live more or less in BFE, and I have heard stories of people around here just going into houses and killing the ocupants. I refuse to be a victim without a chance.

Kreyzhorse
August 11, 2006, 06:46 PM
In the house - they are hidden in the usual spots. Under the bed, in the closet and in the underwear drawer. On the road, usually hide them in with my dirty underwear...... Actually it's wrapped in clean underwear surrounded with dirty underwear. Go ahead, grab yourself a big handful of that!

CosmoLover
August 11, 2006, 07:00 PM
I live in a fairly small apartment and have a tight budget, so a big safe is out of the question. Plus I live on the third floor. One day when I was replacing the sagging cloth under the couch(you know, the flimsy cloth that covers the couch's framework?), and realized it would be a great hiding spot. I was suprised by how much room there is under there. I got the dremel and hack saw out and after a little work, I made a horizontal system of hooks with belt fasteners(actually milsurp canvas belts) that can hold four rifles lenghtwise.

I also made a small wooden cubby-hole and screwed it to the framework near the arm rest. That's where my barbeque revolvers go. Now it's not a practical place to store your "go-to" weapons, but it is very discreet place to store your valuable rifles. I attached velcro along the cloth and underside of the couch so all you have to do is flip the couch back, undo the velcro and you have full access to your hidden rifles. It's funny to have guests sitting on your couch, clueless to the fact that they've got four rifles and two S&W's 9" from their butts.

oh, I almost forgot: For all you guys who drive Chevy/GMC fullsizes year 92-96 with the center console, the cupholder tray can easily be pulled out and makes for a good stash spot. That's where I keep my important paperwork and Ka-Bar.

doncameron
August 11, 2006, 08:28 PM
coffee table has a center cabinet, nylon holster velcroed to the top inside
(9mm)
beside the cushion on the couch, between the arm rest and seat
(.38)
chest of drawers has a hidden compartment for jewelry, removed a few deviders and plenty of room for 3 or 4 handguns

Sulaco2
August 12, 2006, 01:15 AM
"Pest control?" Joab?

Niantician
August 12, 2006, 02:39 AM
The Sportsmanguide has a wall clock that opens up to store a med to small handgun in. Runs about $55 after shipping. and the clock works!

UniversalFrost
August 12, 2006, 03:14 AM
The hollowed-out book idea is hard to beat. No matter how many people have heard about this method, there is still no way for an intruder to go through every big book in the house looking for a weapon (at least not in my house, I'm something of an academic, so it would take a month to go through my books ).

Same here. Plus wife doesn't read and the kids think books are torture so I am the only that goes near the book cases.

Also got an old colt detective special .38 in the hollow space under the bottom drawer in a bedside nightstand.

Doubletaptap
August 12, 2006, 03:56 AM
Some good ideas here! BUT!!!
OK, now I'm a burgular..I'm in your house. I want stuff worth money on the street and I want cash.
OK, there's a computer! yank that sucker off the desk,grab the accessories,printer,scanner etc, and a gun falls out!!Same with tv's and stereos.
Next is the drawers, any dresser or cabinet I see gets the drawers pulled out and dumped on the floor,a gun falls out!
Always go through the kitchen cabinets and see what you can find. The "safe" ajax cans,soup cans etc are so widely advertised it's the first thing I'd be looking at. A gun falls out!
Laundry? Maybe somebody here wears the same size I do? Maybe there's something I could sell? dig through it, a gun falls out!
Hollow books. Pull everything off the bookshelves onto the floor,a gun falls out!
Closets, all kinds of stuff to dig through,a gun falls out!
Of course you pull the sofa and chair cushions off,a gun falls out!
OK, now I've broken into your vehicle. Pop the glove box, look under the seats, pop the back of the rear seat off, pop the console,a gun falls out!
I'm not a theif or a burgular but I have a lot of experience in security and law enforcement.
Actually if a theif has time there really isn't many good hiding places.
If you put them in the toilet tank or sink cabinets,A/C grille,washer, dryer,etc and live in apartments or anywhere there is maintenance staff,a gun falls out!
Attaching a gun to the back of a washer or dryer is ok I guess but it's a damp, dirty atmosphere for a gun unless it's well sealed. Even then the drastic temperature changes could cause moisture to form in the container.
I like the idea of a handgun on the front door near the knob,but don't leave it there when you leave the house empty. Same with one attached to the bed.
In today's society we're about 50-50 chance of not getting burgularized.
Best bet is take photos and record serial numbers, keep sales reciepts and get good insurance coverage with a reputable company.

To stick to the topic, I keep my pistol in the nightstand drawer,a 5 cell maglight next to the stand and my 12ga. just inside the bedroom door which is reachable from my bed.I also keep little intruder alarms(battery operated) on my 3 windows and my front door. They're available at wallyworld.
AND REMEMBER, if you saw a advertisement for a neat hiding place such as wall clocks, soup cans etc. so have the BG'S!!!!
The only real good one( I think) that is almost foolproof is the custom built entertainment center with a secret place for guns.
I hope this helps someone.
George

death2twinkys
August 12, 2006, 04:18 AM
If I was robbing that house I would put everything back, and hope the owner doesn't mind anything I messed up (thats alot of guns).

joab
August 12, 2006, 07:40 AM
"Pest control?" Joab?Yes?

I'm not a theif or a burgular but I have a lot of experience in security and law enforcement.
Actually if a theif has time there really isn't many good hiding places.
If you put them in the toilet tank or sink cabinets,A/C grille,washer, dryer,etc and live in apartments or anywhere there is maintenance staff,a gun falls out!Florida law requires a 24 hour notice prior to entering a tenants apartment. Gun would be moved upon receipt of that notice, especially if the notice was for repair of your hiding place.

I have also kept money in a mason jar hidden in the toilet tank, my burglars did not find it.

duck911
August 12, 2006, 06:46 PM
I put little plastic red caps on the end of my guns and toss them in the kid's toy box :D :eek:

AK103K
August 12, 2006, 07:01 PM
I put little plastic red caps on the end of my guns and toss them in the kid's toy box
Actually, I've sort of done both.

Before I had a safe, I used to hide my machine guns behind the kids toy box.

I've taken the black plastic muzzle caps for the M16's and painted them fluorescent orange and popped one on my Armalite and took it to the range. I told all my buddies to check out the new airsoft I got, you cant tell it from the real thing. They all thought it really was airsoft. :)

Doubletaptap
August 13, 2006, 02:59 AM
Still I think some good ideas here. I was just "Being a burgular" to arouse some thought on the hiding places.
Now another thought,this is the internet,anyone can read these posts,so now everyone knows where you hide your goodies!!!

I'm glad to hear someone has a 24 hour maintenance rule in a apartment complex. If they use it great. All the places I've lived in the last 30 years did not have such rules so you had to lock up your stuff,or take it to a friends house until the work was done.
I know of a lot of places that have maint personnell that will go through your stuff while "working" in your apt. I know of a complex in Tomball that just fired a person for stealing around 600.00 cash and a couple digital cameras,watches and other stuff from various apts.
The did not press charges because they did not want it publicized because it would hurt their buisness.
I don't know if he even had to return the stuff. They tell you to get renters insurance for just that reason. Their background checks are non existent because they cost money.
I was a maintenance man for 7 years in this area and you wouldn't believe the people that are hired for this job.
requirements-
Do NOT have to speak or understand english
Can be a drunk or on dope,just don't get caught at work that way.
Any race creed or religion, old or young, as long as you show up close to on time for work.
Honesty is not even asked about.
You can even be a bit crazy or weird.
If you can fill out a application, or get someone to do it for you, and have a way to work it's easy to get hired.
They usually give a drug test but they're easy to pass.
I don't feel secure in my apartment. I do my own maintenance work.
So hide your stuff well!!!

joab
August 13, 2006, 08:14 AM
Now another thought,this is the internet,anyone can read these posts,so now everyone knows where you hide your goodies!!!I have safes now, the rest of y'all are on your own:)

I have work in pest control for 25 years and even though we do go through background checks and in the old days had to be bonded I have seen many thieves and deviants come through.

The 24 hour notice is Fla statute and I know of no complex that will violate it . However, when you move in you may be given a piece of paper somewhere in the other paperwork telling you that PC, fire safety inspections or routine maintenance checks are done on a certain day( ie: 2nd Tuesday, 3rd Thursday of odd months, etc) that is sufficient to serve as your 24 hour notice.
It is up to the tenant know and keep track of these dates.

I always did because I have had to fire too many freaks, as you imply, as quietly as possible

HK_P7
August 14, 2006, 10:37 AM
I like the Book idea, mentioned in two earlier posts. My parents house have been robbed before, but they did not ransack the bookshelf. Seriously, What kind of crook steals an older edition of the Websters Dictionary??

As for other hiding places, I wouldn't want to hide a loaded gun that wasn't "locked up", and have someone (not the crook) find it, and play with it. I prefer a key code "mini safe" with an electronic door. It can be mounted/hidden in many places.

joab
August 14, 2006, 10:43 AM
I prefer a key code "mini safe" with an electronic door. It can be mounted/hidden in many places.These days those things are so inexpensive that it makes little sense not to.
I just bought a Brinks safe for about $100.

oldbillthundercheif
August 18, 2006, 02:24 PM
Back when I lived in Chicago I used to keep a fairly short, folding-stock 12ga situated diagonally in a clean extra-extra large pizza box lodged between my trashcan and my kitchen cabinets. It looked like it was just trash waiting for trash-day...

GreyFox
August 18, 2006, 03:45 PM
I think the book idea should be upgraded a lil bit, w/ velcro or something of that nature.. if someone does sweep your shelf atleast if your gun book falls it wont open, so someone would have to take time looking through the books... and if you need it in a hurry its only velcro...under the couch im sure was a cool intstall, but i have seen couched get flipped and stuff.. i dunno that just doesn't seem safe enough... and i liked the other idea about having a holster mounted on the bed frame, or somewhere siimilar you can just holster your gun and flash light while you sleep... and if you had one of the holsters w/a extra mag pouch you could even have a spare mag ready or leave just the loaded mag in the extra pouch so you don't have to worry about a accidental discharge at night wether from your sleep walking self or whatever weird thing could happen. I personally think of a safe as being a place to keep guns,.. when im home i generally keep my gun on me or close... then at night when my g/f is over i have to keep the gun in the safe shes not really into firearms except when she is at the range ( i dunno, shes a woman, if you can explain please do) so when shes over i don't have one on the night stand,> then ethier way in the morning when i am leaving for work i lock everything up in the safe and away goes the key, Im paranoid about someone stealing my firearms... and ESPECIALLY paranoid about someone using my own against me. IE someone happens to get to my house right before i do and i walk in to my own sig in my face...

Gunfighter45cal
August 18, 2006, 08:22 PM
1- In the closet, on a CHEAP plastic hanger (easily broken), (through the trigger guard, no round in chamber), covered with a button up shirt.
2- Under the towels in the master bath.

Sriracha
August 18, 2006, 10:54 PM
Great thread. I'll maybe use the cereal box idea for storing when I'm out of town. I was otherwise thinking of putting my gun in a watertight container in my dishwasher along with some silica gel.

Sriracha.

Don H
August 19, 2006, 11:54 AM
If you have access, on TOP of the dishwasher is an option.

Anthony2
August 19, 2006, 09:31 PM
Ichiro- Look at Diamond Sentry Distributors. They have a product called the "Night Sentry" which fits between the mattress and boxspring. While I personally have no experience with it, I plan to purchase one in the near future. Based upon the ad blurb given, it will accomodate any holster, a flashlight, and either a stun gun, mace or a cell phone.

Hope that helps.

Dreadnought
August 19, 2006, 10:21 PM
I saw somebody posted about a shotgun in a pizza box looking like trash, maybe the burglar is a little hungry and looking for some pizza crusts and gets curious, out falls a gun. How about under the bag in a rubbish bin? I don't think criminals would think to find anything valuable at the bottom of the trash. At least as a place to leave an unloaded gun.
I would at least take the gun apart and hide pieces concealed in random areas of the house/ apartment.

death2twinkys
August 20, 2006, 02:05 AM
What use is a gun thats scattered all over the house?
Maybe as an anti-theft deterant, but I'm thinking he plans on using that shotty on a BG. Most of the posts are leaning that way from what i have read.

oldbillthundercheif
August 20, 2006, 02:33 AM
The trashcan / shotgun-pizza area was directly to the side of my preferred seating area in the apartment. Also, it was a fairly small apartment so it was never too far away no matter where I was. It was more for low-key easy access than theft prevention.

Be sure to use a clean pizza box or your firearm will be lubricated with pepperoni grease...

joab
August 20, 2006, 08:37 AM
I keep coming back to see if Sulaco2 is going to expand on the pest control question/comment.

revjen45
August 20, 2006, 09:07 AM
I no longer belong to a patch flying motorcycle club or live in the DPRK so I don't hide guns throughout the house any more. I do however ALWAYS have 1 or 2 on my person. Mr. Steyr is OWB @ 4 o'clock, and, yes, I have had people comment on it. Who cares? The rest of my battery is hidden in my safe.

Anthony2
August 21, 2006, 12:39 PM
I met a woman today who's designing a holster for a derringer that will go between her uh.............mammary glands......;)

I feel sorry for the b/g she turns on.

Ichiro
August 21, 2006, 01:20 PM
Thanks Anthony. I'll check it out.

Ichiro- Look at Diamond Sentry Distributors. They have a product called the "Night Sentry" which fits between the mattress and boxspring. While I personally have no experience with it, I plan to purchase one in the near future. Based upon the ad blurb given, it will accomodate any holster, a flashlight, and either a stun gun, mace or a cell phone.

Hope that helps.

SOSARMS
August 21, 2006, 02:32 PM
Actually have used 3 different hiding places over the years......
1) In a inside jacket pocket on a jacket on a hook in the closet.

2) On top of a small refrig and TV built into an entertainment center.

3) Under the skirt of a spare toilet paper girl in master bath where no guests go.

Dan M.
August 21, 2006, 02:58 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/danmartin56/Miscellaneous/WA2006008.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/danmartin56/Miscellaneous/WA2006009.jpg

Had to do SOMEthing with the crappy slide holster that Springfield gives out with their XDs. No little kids around, night time usage only.

wolfy692005
August 21, 2006, 04:58 PM
great ideas here, i have tried the fake picture, the easy open safe, regular safe, in the night stand and the book safe, but your guys are really thinking ..
awesome thread

CyBuzz
August 23, 2006, 03:33 PM
Even though my 3yo son can recite the eddie eagle 'What to do if you see a gun', I still keep all my guns locked up in safes. 1 in the nightstand with pushbutton combo with my XD45 Tactical(:D had to brag, it's new) at ready (Mag Light next to the nightstand). All the other pistols and long guns are locked in a safe in the basement along with ammo, knives and any other 'dangerous' items.

Ichiro
August 24, 2006, 07:40 PM
Anthony,

I looked at the "Night Sentry" and I don't think it will work for me. If I remember correctly from the picture, the flashlight mount is for one size only--a size that will not accomodate my Surefire. I think Dan's idea of mounting a cheap holster directly on to the bed frame is a better way to go for the gun. For the rest of the stuff (flashlight, cell phone), I'd be tempted to mount a length of actual belt to the bedframe and attach the other things with cheap nylon holsters.

I like that you can cover this stuff with blankets, etc., so the company does not form negative opinions about you when you give them a tour of the house.

My biggest concern is that my wife can access a firearm quickly if she ever needs to. She's not a big fan of locking the doors when she's home alone, and that worries me. Since I can't seem to get her to lock the doors at all times (despite my scolding and printing out stories of home invasions for her to read), I'd at least like her to have quick access to a weapon.

Next on my list is to have her take a CCW course and start carrying. If she accepts the idea, she'll always have a gun somewhat ready (if only in her purse), and that's way better than nothing. Locking the damned doors would be even better, but we're still working on that!

death2twinkys
August 25, 2006, 02:35 AM
You could get doors that automatically lock when you shut them, like the ones schools and other gov buildings have. Just a thought. It would solve your problems, only thing is you would have to always have a key with you.

ninemm
August 28, 2006, 04:10 PM
I like the book and velcro idea, but how do you hollow-out a book?:confused:

tydephan
August 28, 2006, 04:23 PM
A dremel will work wonders on a book!

smooks75
August 28, 2006, 05:41 PM
I forgot

Sriracha
August 28, 2006, 06:35 PM
May I suggest gluing the pages first, possibly by rubbing Elmer's glue into the edges?

The pages tend to slightly deform at the edge of the cut. If you do that to several hundred loose pages, your book will fan out and not close flat.

-Src.

skeeter1
August 28, 2006, 06:46 PM
I don't have one of these (yet) but it looks like a good idea:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=290304

All of the others are going into the safe, but I like to keep one (.38Spl) handy, "just in case."

Ichiro
August 28, 2006, 07:03 PM
That clock is pretty damm cool!

DeathRodent
August 28, 2006, 07:09 PM
My brother in law hid his revolver in the brown paper grocery bags that he had folded next to his refigerator - you know how they get stuck in that space between the cabinet and fridge. He put it in a bag and folded it up.

His house was burglarized and the thieves never found the gun.

claude783
August 28, 2006, 07:26 PM
An oldie but goodie used in the early days, was to create a small space in a wall, normally above a doorway.

You would then wall paper over it. In an emergency, you just shoved your hand through the wall paper and took possession of the firearm...today with stainless steel, a revolver could remain tucked away for years!

Another place is between the window curtains and the wall above the windows. Can't be seen from the outside and if your curtains are heavy, can't be seen from the inside. Yet the gun can remain on a hook just waiting to be used.

Shamus
August 28, 2006, 07:35 PM
A few years ago I wanted someplace safe to store my guns.

Couldn't afford a real safe back then and being handy with wood decided to build a coffee table. Ended up weighing about 200 lbs when I finished. The solid top was doweled to the sides and from one end you could pull out a drawer. It released by turning the bottom of a leg 1/4 turn. With the drawer closed and the leg turned you could overturn the table and never know that it contained anything. Table is 72" X 40" with a felt liner over foam with velcro straps. Fits 4 rifles and 4 handguns nice and tight and I am the only person that knows about the drawer.

Well, I was the only person.......... :o

Don H
August 28, 2006, 08:04 PM
As often as I've seen these clocks and pictures with hidden compartments on the 'net, I doubt they'll fool many thieves.

JJB2
August 28, 2006, 09:27 PM
i keep a small barretta auto in a holster clipped to steel rail on my side of the bed.... lots
of good ideas here for stashing guns though! a friend of mine used to live in a small house and he had the ceiling of a small hallway to his bed room faked so he could put lots of rifles and handguns up overhead and you couldn't tell it...... they weren't that accessable but they were well hidden from thieves!

Bosshoff
August 28, 2006, 10:12 PM
I used to have a 12 gauge in a soft gun case hanging from a hook, centered on the back of my bedroom door. I would then throw/tuck/hang a flannel robe over it. I kept the door open, so no one ever noticed the added "heft" of the door.

PinnedAndRecessed
August 28, 2006, 10:52 PM
Inside a trophy. If you lift up the brass plate it's hollow inside. If it's big enough, anyway. This one was one of my parent's bowling trophys.

I stashed all kinds of stuff in there at one time or another.

PinnedAndRecessed
August 28, 2006, 11:01 PM
One consideration. You don't want to be so "clever" in your hiding spots (multiple guns?) that, in times of extreme panic (is there any other kind), you can't think where they are.

I know that sounds ludicrous, but you'd be amazed how your mind shuts down when you're afraid. You can't think of even the simplest things.

Rangefinder
August 29, 2006, 12:06 AM
I'm not real creative anymore. I'm only worried about an intruder when I'm home. Since I'm almost always carrying, too bad for the intruder. When it's bed time, shoulder holster slips over the bed post nicely. There is only one way in or out of my place, and I don't even have to get out of bed to cover it. Again, too bad for said intruder. As for the rest of my firearms. I converted a large coat closet between my bedroom and the livingroom into a vault--steel reinforced door, jam, lining, a locking system of my own design, etc, but looks like a normal coat closet from the outside. A standard B&E happens fast--in and out, grab what's easy to grab and worth the most. They don't waste time on what takes time and isn't likely to be practical to them getting out clean. There's enough "easy money" stuff in reach that I'm not really worried about (DVDs, player, TV, computer, etc) for someone to spend the hours it would take to 'maybe' find out what's behind the door that won't seem to open. The most they'll do is kick in the false frond of the door, break an ankle against the plate steel behind it, and not be able to make it out with anything since getting out now means making it back up a wicked flight of stairs.

V.Oller
August 29, 2006, 02:42 PM
Many moons ago before I got a decent safe, I used to keep an old Colt Police Positive in a ziplok bag under some frozen veggies in my freezer. Can still shoot thru the bag...if ya need to...

Glockamolie
August 29, 2006, 07:27 PM
I bought a good-sized pistol safe (a foot square, or a little bigger) that uses a credit card swipe to open electronically. I use an outdated credit card for it. I have the card hidden nearby, in a place that I don't think anyone could accidentally find. Yet, it's so close, that I'm positive that I can grab the card and swipe it faster than I could punch in a combo, even on a finger touch safe. It was less than $100 as well. You could carry a backup identical card in your wallet.

bartonkj
August 29, 2006, 07:51 PM
Leave it to stupid thieves to risk incarceration for a few mouthfuls of cereal!

The condominium complex where I work is not the greatest atmosphere. We had two girls break into the condo across the parking lot from theirs to steal chicken and laundry detergent in the middle of the day. Someone saw them going back to their condo and the cops came and arrested them. When asked why they stole chicken and laundry detergent they said they were hungry and needed to clean up!

As far as hiding guns - have a gun safe in a closet (not really trying to do a super job of hiding) and my quick access guns are Mossberg 500 pistol grip 12 gauge under the bed, a .357 colt python wrapped in a wrag in my nightstand drawer, and a S&W 629 classic .44 mag wrapped in dishtowel on top of fridge.

magister
August 29, 2006, 10:28 PM
old shoebox under the bed at night. gun safe when i leave the house during the daytime. :)

rcupka
August 30, 2006, 02:57 PM
I did this at home and it works great! A typical nightstand or dresser has room between the drawers and the outer paneling. This opening is the thickness of the frame of the cabinet. I removed the bottom drawer, drilled a hole in front of the rear frame and inserted a wooden peg so that the gun is along the side of the cabinet. The peg is on an angle so that when the barrel is fulled seated it creates a slight interference with the bottom of the opening. I have a Ruger SP101 .357 that fits perfectly onto the peg and is held tightly. The drawer can be pulled out and dumped, the whole nightstand could be dumped forward and the gun stays tightly in place. I know it is there and because I shoot it almost every weekend and can grap it without looking, however a bad guy would have to get down on all fours and shine a flashlight into the open to see it.

gunslinger555
September 2, 2006, 01:36 PM

Nice I think im goiong to take your idea:D

thebaldguy
September 19, 2006, 08:29 PM
How about behind a vent or cold air return? Before I got a safe, I would put a cased pistol in the ventwork. I placed it out of sight, so if they pulled off the vent cover, they couldn't see it. The cold air return was next to the bed, so it was easy to get to in the night.

jfrey123
September 19, 2006, 09:12 PM
I'm getting ready to mount one pistol behind my entertainment center. The entertainment center runs along the wall where my apartment's entry door is located, and it's about 6in from said door. It would be accessable for when I answer the door or when I come home and find reason to believe someone is already inside.... Right now it's just sitting on the entertainment center ready to grab for "unwelcome door knocks", but I don't like the idea of someone breaking in while I'm not home and shooting me with it when I walk in the door.

In my bedroom, I use the wire-mesh buildable cubes in place of a dresser/nightstands. The one on my side of the bed has a ready-to-rock Glock 17 tucked between the second to bottom and bottom undershirts, with two extra mags sleeping next to it.... It looks so warm and comfy lol.

Jason607
September 19, 2006, 11:24 PM
I would not hide any weapons near:
1. things criminals like to steel.
2. typical hiding places.

So, I think behind entertainment centers or computers is a bad idea. Also, under matresses, couches, it's all typical. In the watertank of the toilet, not that good either, because most burglers do drugs, it's a very common spot for thugs to hide drugs, because it's right where they can flush it if busted. A safe is good, if it's a big heavy one that can't be moved very easily. A small safe, you just put all your valuables in a nice, convienent package they car carry off and open later.

My uncle took a safe, marked (guns and valuables) on it, and put it in his bedroom, put some rocks and such in it so it sounded like it had some big things in it. Then put an old (1930's) filing cabinet and marked the different drawres with "Time Magizines" and "Newspapers" and other things on it. It was big, ugly, heavy, ocward, and nasty and even coated it with axel greese. So, it was heavy enough in steel that it would be hard to get open, it would take a little time, but it could be done, but lot of noise because it creeked alot. The greese made it even nastier, but made it slippery. Guess what, his apartment got burgurlized again, they took off with the safe, and never came near the place they were actually hidden.

Near the trash can is a good one. Also, behind things hard to move. A burgler will want to get in and get out quickly, without being noticed.

bdcochran
September 20, 2006, 08:10 AM
I am a dancer. Even male dancers carry dance bags for shoes. One side pocket is exclusively reserved for a loaded Glock 29 in 10mm that is put inside a Fobus belt holster. This obviates any danger of putting a finger inside the trigger guard while withdrawing the handgun.

tegemu
September 20, 2006, 02:59 PM
It struck me that putting a Tupperware container in your toilet tank, would save water on each flush, saving money and good for the environment. Sorta like the old trick of putting a brick in the T Tank.

klambpix
October 25, 2006, 11:01 PM
I use a small CD wallet to keep my trusty little Kel-Tec 380 and a reload in. Makes for a handy place to slip the pistol and holster into when I have to take it out of my pocket for a little while or while I'm driving...stick it right between the seat and console so it's more accessable than being in my pocket.

Glenn Bartley
October 26, 2006, 02:27 AM
What an informative thread, at least for a thief.:eek:

Samurai
October 26, 2006, 09:57 AM
Any thief who can carry my trunk away DESERVES to have it!

2,000 rounds of .45 and 9x18 reloads are good for many things OTHER than target practice. :p

teejhot.40cal
October 26, 2006, 10:25 AM
Empty cereal box in pantry, back when I lived in the 'hood. Was hoping theives wouldn't be hungry!

Maybe there on pot and have the munchies. That maybe why they broke-in in the first place.

revjen45
October 26, 2006, 01:55 PM
My gun safe lagged into the concrete.

REELZARUBA
October 26, 2006, 07:10 PM
I bought a/c grills at my old house and made boxes 4" deep to fit in the stud walls, and placed them up towards the cieling line like the old wall registers. That way they were high enough the boys couldnt reach them but low enough my wife could. The grill stayed on with a rubberband. Was there 11 years and no one ever knew.

JJB2
October 26, 2006, 08:50 PM
glenn bartley that was my thoughts when i started reading this thread too..........

paramedic70002
October 30, 2006, 08:25 AM
I tried to hollow out an old encyclopedia, almost made a real mess. Sprayed glue on the edges, another mess. Gave up. Somebody sells these already done. Same with a coffee table, saw one for sale with a hidden gun drawer. Have 2 cheap plastic countertop push button safes. Wife spilt soda into one. Ruined. Screwed up the combination in the other. Didn't take long to push out the hinge pins! Oh well, it'll do until the kids get a little older.

Good advice I heard: Don't hide it in the first, second, third or fourth place you think about.

Twilight zone: One day last week I was off work, my partner went to a sick call (EMS) and the caller told them the patient was in lthe last room on the left. He looked, there WAS NO room on the left. "Oh yeah, hold on." Caller reaches up to the ceiling and pushed a tile in. Wall panel pops open to a hidden bedroom.

I've always wanted to build a home with secret passageways, storage and such. Maybe a ladder going from up to down bedroom closets with trapdoor.

Hal8000
November 10, 2006, 02:21 PM
While most of my firearms are in my safe, I have the usual few scattered out and hidden in strategic locations similar to those already mentioned. To add confusion to the would be thief, I give him what he wants, upfront. To "express myself" I have several desirable nonfunctioning/unloaded firearms in plain sight as an art form. Upon arriving home, It's easy to see if any of these are moved or missing, which would indicate that someone unwelcome has entered my home.
If any of my "indicator guns" where disturbed/missing upon my arrival, I'd back out and call the Sheriff.

wayneinFL
November 10, 2006, 11:06 PM
Ever thought of using an electrical box? I keep a spare set of keys in a dummy electrical disconnect box outside my house.

You could do the same indoors too. You could put an empty service panel in a bedroom or closet and it wouldn't look out of place.

joab
November 12, 2006, 09:32 AM
I like that one Wayne

I just came into possession of about fifty of those boxes

shamus005
November 12, 2006, 11:20 AM
I haven't read this one:

A/C vents/ducts/intakes. Usually A/C vents are mounted high and require a stool or ladder to get access. Unscrew panel, tuck in gun, replace panel.

revjen45
November 12, 2006, 01:08 PM
I hide the guns I don't cay regularly in my gun safe. The ones I do carry regularly are hidden on my person. Every so often my wife has to sew up the holes the front sight leaves in the pocket of my bathrobe. When I open the door I have my hand in the pocket. Hugh Hefner is given to elegant robes and silk pajamas for house wear- I wear a food-splattered terry cloth robe and sweat pants. A .38 snubbie in each pocket balances the weight.

AmesJainchill
November 12, 2006, 03:27 PM
While most of my firearms are in my safe, I have the usual few scattered out and hidden in strategic locations similar to those already mentioned. To add confusion to the would be thief, I give him what he wants, upfront. To "express myself" I have several desirable nonfunctioning/unloaded firearms in plain sight as an art form. Upon arriving home, It's easy to see if any of these are moved or missing, which would indicate that someone unwelcome has entered my home.
If any of my "indicator guns" where disturbed/missing upon my arrival, I'd back out and call the Sheriff.

Interesting idea. I'd go for replicas or something myself.

Country
November 12, 2006, 03:53 PM
Guys and gals, I have really enjoyed reading your posts.

As I read through them I kept thinking about druggies, they know all the hiding places because they are hiding their stash from the law and other users, there has only been one person post on this. And many of these hiding places would be used by druggies. I see that I need to invest in a good solid safe to keep non protection guns in and protection close at hand.

I like the idea of having items that a BG would disturb that is visible when the front door is opened.

I like a good sound sleep, so I finally got a dog. She is very alert and quickly comes to my room if there is anything going on. From that moment I take over.
Side note: I fill sorry for the BG that is in our home if he is standing between the front door and her bowl, she would knock him on his butt and I would keep him there.:)

golden eye
November 15, 2006, 06:29 PM
I have 4 kids in the house so a stash spot is next to impossible. I would like to find a place next to my bed, somewhere that I can get the gun out quick but where my kids wont ever think of looking. I don't even keep the gun loaded. I keep the clip in a drawer of the desk and the gun is in a locked strong box in the closet. If there ever is an intruder, I hope he is a slow one.

kc-griz
November 15, 2006, 06:35 PM
I keep the clip in a drawer of the desk and the gun is in a locked strong box in the closet. If there ever is an intruder, I hope he is a slow one.

MAG! and forget the handgun that's locked in a strongbox in the closet in the event of an intruder. It's useless to you.. get a bat, get a golf club, get some rocks and put them by the bed. Heck, just put the ammo by the bed so you can throw it. You're chances of survival will be improved by doing so.

AK103K
November 15, 2006, 06:49 PM
How about teach the kids not to touch your guns. ;)

We started when they were born, and never had any issue. Before I got a safe, I actually used to hide my machine guns behind their toy box as I it was the safest place. Who wants to waste time routing through all that.

I never left loaded guns laying around, and its easy enough to slip a mag in the gun when you go to bed, if you dont keep it in its holster thats in your pants next to the bed.

Dino.
November 16, 2006, 09:48 AM
How about teach the kids not to touch your guns.

With all due respect, we all like to think we teach our children right from wrong, but that doesn't always garauntee they'll make the right decisions.

We started when they were born, and never had any issue. Before I got a safe, I actually used to hide my machine guns behind their toy box as I it was the safest place. Who wants to waste time routing through all that.

As a parent, reading this actually made me sick to my stomach.
Thank god you now have a safe.

Edward429451
November 16, 2006, 10:46 AM
How about teach the kids not to touch your guns.

With all due respect, we all like to think we teach our children right from wrong, but that doesn't always garauntee they'll make the right decisions.

Thats what I did with my kids. Massad Ayoob wrote a most excellant book on how to gunproof your children. It worked for us. I'm not saying everyone should try it and trust the kids implicitly but if the parent is on the ball it will work. We started when they were born also and we had an issue once, but that was when I set them up to test them and was real close and the gun wasn't loaded. Most people underestimate their kids ability to learn.

Before we had a safe, I did this too. Take note that guns only went into the toybox when we was leaving and no one would be home, and that they were retrieved and stowed elsewhere upon our return. The idea was that burglars wont spend time in the kids room, they'd be looking at electronics, jewelrey and other higher dollar items in other parts of the house.

It's good to be concerned and cautious, but its even better to rise above the media induced fear and be a better parent than the society will let you be by not underestimating the kids and giving them enough credit to be able to learn safety. The first six years of life are the most important and at that age kids will soak up info like a sponge. Most kids only hear NO NO NO at that age and WHEN YOU'RE OLDER, which does nothing but instill the forbidden fruit syndrome in them. Some parents may even use the when you're older line to defer the responsibility of teaching them because of their own fears, thereby handicapping the child. Does that make sense?

There's no safety in ignorance. With all due respect, a different view.

Dino.
November 16, 2006, 11:47 AM
Point taken Edward.
It was never stated that the guns were hiden with the toys only when nobody was home, so please understand my concern.

I'm not "underestimating a childs ability to learn".
But I'm also not underestimating a childs tendency to become curious.
IMO, educating your children about firearms and storing your guns responsibly would be a better solution than just "teaching your kids not to touch your gun".

p99guy
November 16, 2006, 12:08 PM
lol the most unusual place I know of was when I was working as a Jail Deputy.
female arrestee came into booking conceiling a 2" Colt Diamondback in a ziplock bag, grip panels removed/bobbed hammer...up in ah her..use your imagination...it was caught during the strip search. It was impressive in an odd sort of eeeeeewww way. Would have been a very real danger if it hadnt been discovered.

AK103K
November 16, 2006, 12:12 PM
Sorry to upset you.

The safe was not there because of the kids. They always had full access when we were home as it was always open. They knew that they could see anything they wanted, whenever they wanted, as long as myself or my wife were there. I always encouraged, insisted actually, that they handle whatever I had out or their own weapons (they both had their own rifles the day they were born) at every opportunity. I never worried about MY kids, and actually trusted them more than most adults with a loaded firearm in their hands. Then again, my wife and I taught them, and like my buddy always said, "you plant potatoes, you get potatoes". If that scares you, please see above and just go on about your business. :)

It's good to be concerned and cautious, but its even better to rise above the media induced fear and be a better parent than the society will let you be by not underestimating the kids and giving them enough credit to be able to learn safety. The first six years of life are the most important and at that age kids will soak up info like a sponge. Most kids only hear NO NO NO at that age and WHEN YOU'RE OLDER, which does nothing but instill the forbidden fruit syndrome in them. Some parents may even use the when you're older line to defer the responsibility of teaching them because of their own fears, thereby handicapping the child. Does that make sense?
ABSOLUETLY! Very well put. Thank You.

Dino.
November 16, 2006, 12:57 PM
Sorry to upset you.

The safe was not there because of the kids. They always had full access when we were home as it was always open. They knew that they could see anything they wanted, whenever they wanted, as long as myself or my wife were there. I always encouraged, insisted actually, that they handle whatever I had out or their own weapons (they both had their own rifles the day they were born) at every opportunity. I never worried about MY kids, and actually trusted them more than most adults with a loaded firearm in their hands. Then again, my wife and I taught them, and like my buddy always said, "you plant potatoes, you get potatoes". If that scares you, please see above and just go on about your business.

Please explain how this is any different from my comments? ... :confused:

IMO, educating your children about firearms and storing your guns responsibly would be a better solution than just "teaching your kids not to touch your gun".

That was in response to your earlier comment ... "How about teaching your kids not to touch your gun?"

I guess Edward429451 said it best ...
"There's no safety in ignorance. With all due respect, a different view."

Edward429451
November 16, 2006, 03:10 PM
It was never stated that the guns were hiden with the toys only when nobody was home, so please understand my concern.

True. I took that as a given because that's what I did and his train of thought mirrored mine and figured he was just being succinct so didn't post that little detail. I didn't mean to sound like I was implying that you're underestimating your kids or being lax in any way...just tossing out generalizations. Sorry if I struck a nerve there.

I'm also not underestimating a childs tendency to become curious.

Good point. They way we beat that was to go out of our way to make the kids a priority and told them that if they wanted to handle a gun, to ask first and it'd be ok. Thus fulfilling their curiosity. They used to test us on this by asking when we had company over or at bedtime to squeeze a few more minutes out of us before lights out. It didn't faze me a bit. I'd put the card game on hold and go pull out any gun they wanted to see in order to keep my promise to them. A lot of the time they were merely testing me on my word and not really wanting to see a gun. Those times, they lost interest quickly and I was back with our company within 5 mins. This reassured them that we were as good as our word and nixed the curiosity at the same time. It worked for us.

Dunno if Ayoobs book "Gunproof your Children" is still in print, my copy's long been passed on. It's worth the read if you can find it though. Good discussion.

Edward429451
November 16, 2006, 03:18 PM
ABSOLUETLY! Very well put. Thank You.

Thank YOU. I've been called on my scary line of reasoning by well intentioned parents before and its a breath of fresh air to see others thinking in like manner, independant and correctly.

Livinloud5
November 16, 2006, 04:29 PM
1)Small slit in my mattress there is a kel-tec .380
2)Compartment behind my stereo is a xd-9
3)Shotgun on the door side wall of the closet
4)Knife droor of kitchen

Obviously nothing special, but they work.

Blake.

The Man
January 5, 2007, 09:04 PM
I Put A Nylon Holster Under The Back Seat Of My VW Van.:cool:

QuestionEverything
January 6, 2007, 05:40 AM
Has anyone tried fastening a pistol to the flat underside of a desk? I'm considering giving this a try, either by screwing a holster into the desk bottom or by simply driving screws into the desk and tying strings around the bases of the screws from which the gun would hang. It's a counterintuitive place to look and also allows for fast deployment when sitting at said desk.

Primer
January 6, 2007, 06:22 AM
At a local gun show here in town one of the booths was selling the "gun magnet". Its basically a strong magnet in a plastic shell with screw holes to attach it to the back of a night stand or head board. The gun stays put on the magnet and slides off quite easily when needed. For a few bucks I picked two up. I thought it was a neat idea.

G-Cym
January 6, 2007, 06:56 AM
The best ideas so far have been the cereal box and the grocery bag next to the refrigerator. These hiding places are supposed to be places a BG won't go. Most of the others would be uncovered during a burglary. When a break in occurs, it's not always a crackhead who only spends a few minutes in your house. Other times, it will be a real burglar who has spen a day or two watching your house to see when you're gone, and these BGs can spend a few hours tearing everything apart. And tearing is exactly what they do. When they see your dresser, they won't root through the drawers. They will rip the drawers out and dump them out. When they see your closet, they won't just look through it. They will rip everything out and onto the floor. And the scanner with the gun in it? That scanner will be one of the first things taken. They will rip your couch cushions off, dump your dressers out, rip things off the wall, smash doors, glass, plastic; anything and everything. They don't care how much of your house they have to utterly destroy to get what they want. Keep that in mind when you're hiding stuff. A clock on the wall? One half-second swipe from a crowbar and it's broken open on the ground.

If you live in apartment and can't make modifications to your place, a cereal box might be a good place to stash some stuff. Bedrooms, dinning rooms, closets, under beds, living rooms; these are all places normal people keep their goodies. And these are the first places the enemy will look. A kitchen on the other hand might be just abnormal enough to give you an edge.

If you own a home and CAN make as many modifications to your home as you want, be creative. Someone mention hiding stuff in a duct. Heat ducts are usually on the ground, so that would be easier for you to access. You could even cut a hole in your wall and add a fake heat vent that only goes back a foot or two. And the basement offers many possibilities. Many basements have exposed duct-work on the basement ceiling. You could add a length of fake ductwork to store things in. And in another thread(I think) someone mentioned a false water heater. Those are some great ideas.

Jason607
January 6, 2007, 04:44 PM
I didn't see it mentioned, but another idea is to store them in the insulation if the home. NOBODY wants to go through that stuff, it will get all in everything and will itch and irritate, maby even cause a rash. Some hiding places, like mentioned before are long term. I think all gun owners need to know this in case the wrong politicians get in and decide the UN Small Arms Ban gets applied here in the US, we will need to loose our firearms quick, and bring them back later.

oldbillthundercheif
January 6, 2007, 06:39 PM
Jesus... you may as well stash them in a pressurized tank of pure ammonia wrapped in a plastic bag stuffed full of asbestos and granulated sodium hydroxide.

I will pass on the insulation idea unless we are conquered by Canada and are forced to give up our guns and spicy food products (I will surrender neither).

M14fan
January 6, 2007, 09:09 PM
Another one that I have seen but not used is a hollowed out water heater complete with pipes that disapear into the wall. The door is hidden on the back side.

My Grandfather's house had an attic with no visible access. The ladder was hidden in a shallow closet with about three feet of space between the door and the ladder. A shoe caddy was hung in front of the ladder. My Grandfather actually had to show it to me when I was an adult because he needed some electrical work done in the attic. He had lived there my whole life and I never knew it was there.

Greybeard
January 6, 2007, 09:44 PM
Quote: "desirable nonfunctioning/unloaded firearms in plain sight"

I once knew a guy ;) who did similar in one of the aforementioned "standard" hidey-holes - with the firearms tripped-wire to 4 ounces of OC. :D

M14fan
January 6, 2007, 10:08 PM
I have a friend who records all his serial numbers and removes the firing pins from all but his primary firearm. He figures that if they are stolen, sooner or later they will show up in a gunsmith shop and with the SN properly recorded with police, he hopes to improve his odds of recovery.

petergriffin
January 6, 2007, 10:24 PM
i have a large book titled "americian justice" its hollowed out and i keep my .38. in there.

oldbillthundercheif
January 6, 2007, 11:40 PM
Hot damn, that OC booby-trap is pure genius!

As long as you don't forget about it or let any of your buddies check out your firearms without a warning, anyway...

MWilson
January 7, 2007, 12:27 AM
MWilson is marveling at the irony of the intense thought and creativity required in selecting said hiding places only to have them divulged in public forum for the general public to read.

tharmer
January 7, 2007, 12:38 AM
MWilson might consider that although there are many ideas espoused, any BG would be hard pressed to examine all possibilities unless he had a weekend...and there is no assurance that any one poster has hidden anything where they posted that something could be hidden.

MWilson
January 7, 2007, 12:48 AM
I meant more the specific details of where things are hidden in people houses than general ideas of where to hide. Probably not even worth mentioning, but interesting given the level of over-preparedness and caution exhibited by most on this board.

This post for instance:
1)Small slit in my mattress there is a kel-tec .380
2)Compartment behind my stereo is a xd-9
3)Shotgun on the door side wall of the closet
4)Knife droor of kitchen

Obviously nothing special, but they work.

Blake.

Capt Charlie
January 8, 2007, 04:53 PM
Some noted that I closed this thread yesterday, out of concerns that we were shouting to the world things we probably should've been discreetly whispering to a select few.

Protests were immediate, some were harsh, but all made some good points.

After some serious consideration, and after conferring with some of the other staff members, I've decided to re-open this thread. As some pointed out, it was indeed a fun, informative, and civil thread.

Still, I will admonish the members here to think carefully before you post. While it's true that most BG's aren't smart enough to walk & chew gum at the same time, there are a few clever enough to heed what you're saying here.

GalilARM
January 8, 2007, 05:06 PM
I keep a 1911 in an old boot that is with a bunch of other shoes on the floor of my closet. I keep a USP in a granola bar box that sits on my desk. My shotgun and a replica 1911 are simply in the corner leaning against a wall. Most of the crime in my area is auto break ins, but the home burglaries that do occur are usually grab-and-go, so I figured that I'd leave my cheap stuff out in the open and hope that they wouldnt search so thoroughly to find the other nicer handguns.

Philly-N8
January 8, 2007, 05:12 PM
Since I have an 8 year old, who I trust completely but she's still 8, and I live in a realatively high crime area, my wife keeps two magazines in her night stand and I keep the gun in mine.
During the day when we're away they're locked up tighter than....well you get the picture.

phoglund
January 8, 2007, 07:22 PM
I have a ground level wood deck outside my back door. In the corner there are a few short boards needed to finish the section. I unscrewed a couple of boards and dug a hole in the dirt beneath. I buried a .50 cal ammo can there and put a couple of handguns and various fire control parts for other arms inside. When in good shape these are air and watertight. After I covered the can I brushed the dirt to look undisturbed and screwed the boards back on. This obviously only worked for guns I didn't access often and didn't need for emergencies. They actually didn't take long to get to however because of the speed the screws could be removed with a portable battery powered drill/driver. For those thieves out there....I no longer use this technique!

On the issue of kids and guns. I always taught my kids as others have mentioned...that they could handle my guns anytime they wanted (anytime!), all they had to do is ask and I would supervise the handling. This does several things at once.

1. Satisfies their curiosity about firearms
2. Gives me an opportunity to teach and reinforce firearms safety
3. Gives me an opportunity to familiarize them with firearms in general
4. Gives me time with the kids.

They are older now and gun safety has not been an issue. I thought of this not long ago when I was showing some new acquisitions to my youngest (18yo). I'd pick up a gun and check it's load status and hand it to my son. He'd take the gun from me and check it's load status before handling further. After he was done with it he'd hand it to me and I'd check it's load status and put it away. There was a certain comfort in the ritual and I was proud of the boy that he took his lessons over the years seriously. I don't know how most folks do it but I taught him to always know how to see if a gun is loaded or not and never to trust another's word on the subject. If he doesn't know how to check the gun he should ask how or not handle the gun. No exceptions!

XavierBreath
January 8, 2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks Capt'n!
For me, it's not about hiding guns from a thief. The big old safe and a little insurance policy takes care of thieves. For me, it's about having a gun at hand discreetly, ready to be used, without the wife's Garden Club friends having a hissy fit.

M14fan
January 8, 2007, 08:05 PM
I had no objection to you closing the thread. You made a very valid argument for doing so. I am however glad that you reopened it as I have found it entertaining and informative.

PzGren
January 10, 2007, 08:45 AM
When my alarm went off in the past, the average response time for the police to show up was always under 10 minutes. Add a little safety margin and a thief will not have the time for a very thorough search. On top of that I always have about $60 to 100 in small bills somewhere where it can't be overlooked, good enough for the next fix.

I don't think that somebody will find my hiding place in less than an hour, neither open my safe much faster.

Slideman
January 10, 2007, 11:50 AM
My kids got to handle barrels, grips, slides, bolts and assembled firearms ANY time they showed any interest whatsoever. They understood the rules for safe firearm handling and got to go shooting ANY time they wanted to join me. They also were raised in a nearly obsolete fashion that assured they would not touch my firearms without permission. I was, in their minds, very serious about this issue... and easygoing on plenty of stuff that really doesn't matter in the long run, so they knew the difference.

Then the neighbor kid began to visit and she was the product of "modern parenting". I didn't have to see her more than twice to change my storage patterns. 1,100-pound gun safe, two push-button pistol boxes for loaded handguns and whatever my wife and I are packing.

Oh, and the AK47 behind the seat of the standard-cab pickup in a canvas case with 5 loaded mags... piled in there with snow scrapers, kleenex, emergency hats, coats .. a pile of uninteresting looking stuff of little obvious value. Of course in this part of the world, there are plenty of guns in back-window rifle racks of unlocked pickups.

possumking
January 10, 2007, 05:11 PM
I don't have to Hide mine per say as my daughters are older 16 and 21 and know better and care less .but I keep one of my one my night stand and one on the computer desk and one under the couch(long gun)

Tom

Mark B
January 13, 2007, 10:20 PM
Great thread!
I collect beer steins, and have a Davis 22mag derringer in my favorite one.

RedneckFur
January 15, 2007, 12:48 AM
Some great ideas for hiding a gun... but I'll be honest. some seem a bit overboard to me. I'm not here to judge though.

I keep a .357 under my bed, positioned so that i can drop my arm off the side of the bed and my hand will be touching it. Rest of my guns are in the closet, should i need them.

I like the idea of keeping a shotgun for home defense. I live in an apartment building, so whatever i use, it needs to be somethign that could take down a BG easily, but not penetrate walls to easily.

MikeGoob
January 15, 2007, 10:25 PM
Honestly I wouldnt worry about a potential burglar reading this thread and finding out all our hiding places--If he is reading these responses, he is more likely to freak out and give up his occupation, hearing how many people are crazy about thier guns and willingness to use them to protect life and property!

Country
January 16, 2007, 12:17 AM
Bad guy beware!

We've got your number (357) MAG-STOP :D

What would be another number? (ICU) HAN-DSUP

JDSnead
January 19, 2007, 05:54 PM
Hello!

I haven't seen anyone post about this product yet, but it seems to be a valid way to mount almost any handgun UNDER a solid surface.

I haven't tried one myself (yet), but plan on getting one in the near future.

It is called (appropriately) Hide-A-Gun, and is available from a website called themagtool.com

I think something like this has been used in many movies, to allow someone at a desk to have their hands on a weapon without anyone seeing thier action.

Anyway, YMMV.

(If this posting is in violation of any rule of this forum (I'm a newbie here), please feel free to delete it (but please let me know). Thanks.