PDA

View Full Version : Antelope hunt in WY.

rangermonroe
August 3, 2006, 03:41 PM
Got tags today for area 104.

Woohooo! Happy dance, happy dance!

Gonna see if li'l rangermonroe can shoot at something farther than 100 yards.

I have not hunted these before, so this will be an adventure for the both of us.

maas
August 3, 2006, 07:29 PM
good luck and happy hunting:D

Scorch
August 4, 2006, 01:36 AM
Can I be jealous?

Good luck. If you have never hunted antelope, you will be addicted after you're done.

samsmix
August 4, 2006, 04:12 AM
Use a reasonably flat shooting rifle and start shooting at 300 yards. The faster .25's like the 25-06, .25wssw and .257Wby shooting 100 grain bullets takes almost all the guess work out of it. Practice at 400 if you think you can make such shots. I shoot a .30-06 with 150's myself.

Remember to pass on long shots if the wind blows though. And keep a
.30-30 under the seat, 'cause sometimes they are at 50 yards and haulin' the mail! You just never know with speed goats.

Good luck.

NRA4life
August 4, 2006, 01:52 PM
Dang, I'm still awaiting the MT draw.

PAHOGHUNTER
August 4, 2006, 03:31 PM
I was drawn for area 111 which is just outside Cheyenne its my first Antelope hunt, the season starts early this year Sept. 16, can't wait.

rangermonroe
August 4, 2006, 04:54 PM
Well, we'll be using a .243 yute rifle. Remmy mod 7.

I don't know how well the little guy will do past 200 yards, so I'm gonna keep it in close as I can.

Scorch
August 4, 2006, 05:19 PM
243 should work just fine. Antelope just aren't very tough to kill. It can get a bit windy out there, though.

samsmix
August 5, 2006, 05:45 AM
I'm with Scorch on that. The .243 will work to 300 or so on goats. If you hit one poorly he can go a long ways, true, but it's not like he's gonna bed down in brush and hide. And like Scorch said, they aren't hard to kill.

UniversalFrost
August 5, 2006, 06:11 AM
Try the federal .243 loads with 95 gr. nosler balistic tips or the 85 gr barnes triple shock x bullets. Either one will work great out to 400+ yards on the antelope and whitetails. Took one a few years back with the x bullets that was at 407 yards (according to my nikon range finder) and the sucker only ran a few hundred yards and fell over. Your gonna love it! Great chance to hone your long range skills. Get a good range finder and practice some long range shooting with the rifle.

And ya be prepared for the short running shot.

rangermonroe
August 5, 2006, 06:14 AM
Thanks guys

samsmix
August 6, 2006, 02:11 AM
It sounds like you'll have a great trip. Keep practicing and let us know how both the practice and the hunt go.

UniversalFrost
August 6, 2006, 04:31 AM
i never said to hone his long range skill on the aniamals. I said that he shoudl hone his long range skill before going on the hunt.

If he does not learn how to shoot his weapon out to 400 -500 yards before the hunt he is only setting himself up for failure.

rangermonroe
August 6, 2006, 08:46 AM
I can shoot out to 300 quite comfortably, I am concerned that my son does not have confidence, nor the ability.

I'll take the long shots, he'll take the short ones.

I will be needing some load data from you guys as well.

UniversalFrost
August 6, 2006, 03:50 PM
I would recommend going to the website for whichever load you choose to hnt with. I shoot mainly federal in my .243 and they have a great interactive website for the load data and their customer service is top notch. They even mailed me load data for some 7mm rounds I picked up off midway real cheap that they discontinued a few years ago and had removed from their site. Winchesters site also contains a lot of laod data along with remington. I would pull up all three at the same time and compare the rounds and find which you prefer then go out and get a box of each brand and see which one shoots best in your rifle. My mauser in .243 likes the nosler balistic tips, while the remington likes the barnes x bullets.

rangermonroe
August 6, 2006, 08:10 PM
Something that will "point shoot" out to 1000 yards or so. :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

samsmix
August 7, 2006, 03:41 AM
Universal Frost,

I did not mean to preach, and I tried to edit my post before it got read. I post mostly late at night and in the wee hours and sometimes sleep deprivation gets the best of me. You clearly didn't recomend practicing on game animals. I simply took the 2nd to the last sentence out of context. You have my sincere appology.

Sam

Soon I will post the story of a very intresting antelope hunter I met North of Miles City. Him and his Rifle. I don't have time now. The thread will be titled "The man with one rifle."

NRA4life
August 7, 2006, 12:24 PM
I'm with the other posters on the .243. I shoot either 100 or 105 gr. I've killed a dozen or so with those loads. I've also killed them with .223, no problem. And yes, they are fairly easy to kill, I've found, as well. I find them quite tasty too. Much better table fare than the Muleys we shoot out there.

Anthony Terry
August 7, 2006, 10:17 PM
A great place to find load data, well 2 places:
www.hodgdon.com
www.imrpowder.com
They have data for everything in both of these sites. should be helpful.